HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lethonen

Old
04-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Lethonen

Kari Lethonen: Flyers and Thrashers were in discussion on bringing him to philly at the trade deadline, but it all fell through. Now with the draft coming up what would you be willing to try to get him out of Atlanta.

I think he would benefit from a change of scenery and be our true number 1 goalie

Ofcourse first we have to start with lupul.....

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Jester

Well, the rumor at the time was that they wanted JVR.

If they'll send Lehtonen up here for Lupul then I would think about signing him over tomorrow. Remember, however, Lehtonen isn't going to be a cheap contract.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Yes, Obviously everyone here will say Lupul, Jones, probably picks too.

Also, I wouldnt give up JVR for him.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Ehhhhhhhhhh. I was high on Lehtonen for a while, but his injury proneness has cause for concern. He isnt the goalie everyone thought he might be. Hes still good, better than Biron, which we could use, but with Khabibulin possibly hitting up free agency, I would much rather take a risk on him.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:09 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I want no part of Kari Lehtonen.

It's mostly because of his injury history, but his performance in his only playoff appearance was awful (small sample set, I know).

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 10:26 PM
PhilaFlyers

I wouldn't give up JVR. But I wouldn't mind having Lethonen as our starter.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
phlocky

Well, if it's Lehtonen and they want JVR then it really puts us up against the wall cap wise. I think we can make it work by sending them Jones but they won't take Lupul too and if we are trading JVR then we can't afford to lose another top 6 foward like Lupul too. However, if we keep Lupul and just unload Jones, we pretty much MUST keep both Carle and Lupul because they become necessary evils with high cap hits. Also, if the cap DOES go down after next year as expected then we will be hard pressed to be in cap compliance (maybe Sbisa will be ready for the 2nd pairing by then and we can ditch Carle).

Also, I've been figuring on using Jones' expiring contract after next season to pay off Coburn and Parent on their next contracts. I figured Coburn to get Jones' 2.75 mil, Parent ot get Coburns 1.3 mil and Marshall to take Jones roster spot at Parents old salary of 850k. That gives both Coburn and Parent their new pay increase and we replace Jones with Marshall all for no increase in cap hit. That worked out prefect in my mind.

I'd personally like to see us go after Pavelek instead. I'd like to see something like Nodl + Marshall/Bourdon + 09 1st for Pavelek + 09 2nd. However, I doubt this deal gets done before the trade deadline so all picks would have to be bumped back 1 year. We could resign Biron for 2 years and let Pavelek grow into the starting job during that time. We'd also have the money to resign Knuble for close to his current money (though it would probably be less) and we'd get to keep pretty much the entire current roster intact (and at this point I'm not certain if that's a good thing or a bad thing).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 11:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Kari Lethonen: Flyers and Thrashers were in discussion on bringing him to philly at the trade deadline, but it all fell through. Now with the draft coming up what would you be willing to try to get him out of Atlanta.

I think he would benefit from a change of scenery and be our true number 1 goalie

Its Kari Lehtonen.
Cant believe no one picked up on this yet
Anyway, I would rather pass on him. He hasnt show anything to me that hes better then Biron at this point. Yes hes on a terrible team but remember this team was in the playoffs a couple of years ago and how did that go again? oh yeah it didnt. they got destroyed by the Rangers.
I dont think hes a big money or can play well under pressure type of guy.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:28 AM
ELab2

I'd be interested in Lehtonen but I do have slight concern about his injury history. We'd have to move salary of course, but for certain return aside from Lehtonen I'd trade JVR in the package. Getting a guy like Valabik back and a couple of picks or something.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post

Link? I remember there were Thrashers scouts at Flyers games, but I'm pretty sure Lehtonen being on the block was speculation. Atlanta management has stated that they have confidence in Kari as the goalie of the future and are therefore more likely to trade Pavelec (that and other signs).

Either way, getting either would be great. Lehtonen is a world-class goalie being muffled behind a bad defense (very much an upgrade over Biron), and Pavelec is a really talented prospect who is ready to take the next step with a little nurturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I'd be interested in Lehtonen but I do have slight concern about his injury history. We'd have to move salary of course, but for certain return aside from Lehtonen I'd trade JVR in the package. Getting a guy like Valabik back and a couple of picks or something.
You don't want Valabik. He's terrible.

Also, Lehtonen is worth JVR (Atlanta would likely be asking for more), provided he is signed to a long extension. Cap space can be made, as well. That's not much of an issue.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Mr Oysterhead

I really like Lehtonen and would be willing to give up a good amount to get him.

Young, talented and even a litle experienced. Put him in a winning culture and I think it would do wonders.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:21 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Bringing in Lethonen is fine, as long as you know the risks.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:07 AM
bennysflyers16

Lupul, Jones , 1st
Lehtonen, 2nd.

Kari is RFA, so I think he would sign for around 3.5-4 mil for 4 yrs.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Lupul, Jones , 1st
Lehtonen, 2nd.

Kari is RFA, so I think he would sign for around 3.5-4 mil for 4 yrs.
Why would Atlanta want our lousy salary dumps totaling about $7 in salary next season for their potential franchise Goalie?

I agree we need to get what we can for Lupul and Jones, but I doubt we see even a 3rd for them.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Lab Monkey

I'm prolly gonna eat **** for this, but what if we went with Gagne instead of JVR?

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
I'm prolly gonna eat **** for this, but what if we went with Gagne instead of JVR?
I'd probably do it, but I also really like Lehtonen.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:29 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Gagne would never waive his NTC to go to ATL

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Claude Giroux

I always forget about NTC's and NMC's...

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Probably won't happen for a number of reasons.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 12:05 PM
turkinaa

It might be easier to go after Pavelec (and preferred), but if they want more for him than Lethonen I say let them keep both until they are ready to commit to one of them. There is no point to pay top dollar for a goalie who is injury prone.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
It might be easier to go after Pavelec (and preferred), but if they want more for him than Lethonen I say let them keep both until they are ready to commit to one of them. There is no point to pay top dollar for a goalie who is injury prone.
Yea i would personally like to get a young stud goalie. Its a little risky obviously, but if it works, we would be crazy good. Id like us to go after one of Harding, Pavelec, Montoya. If we get one of the last two we would need some kind of good back up just in case. Maybe Boucher. These guys are young and could be great players that will play for next to nothing. If we trade some of our expensive parts for them thats leaves us with cap space. Imagine getting Harding and Jbo, while losing lupul Jones and 2nd. WEll maybe not Jbo, but there are some nice dmen to be had.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
captainpaxil

theres alot there to like about lehtonen but he reminds me alot of nittymaki with a bigger upside. issues with injuries and inconsistency. word was he was looking for 4-5 mil per season which could make him a big problem contractwise if he doesnt pan out. your putting a lot of money on potential and im not really interested unless its a player for player type deal. lupul briere etc but definitely no 1st or jvr

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
captainpaxil

theres alot there to like about lehtonen but he reminds me alot of nittymaki with a bigger upside. issues with injuries and inconsistency. word was he was looking for 4-5 mil per season which could make him a big problem contractwise if he doesnt pan out. your putting a lot of money on potential and im not really interested unless its a player for player type deal. lupul briere etc but definitely no 1st or jvr

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 04:13 PM
BernieParent

How about Carle + JvR + 1st for Lehtonen and Exelby?

That being offered, I'm gunshy about Lehtonen's long injury history and inconsistent play, plus the fact that he has zero pressure to perform in Atlanta and would immediately be under pretty intense media scrutiny.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:12 PM
turkinaa

There is no point in moving JVR and a 1st in any deal that isn't an elite goalie. Even if JVR is unproven, Lethonen's injuries and salary could easily make any deal difficult to justify.

You do bring up a good point and the pressure playing in Atlanta as compared to Philly. Think what would happen if he losses a few games back to back after we go out to get him. Everyone will be speculating we over paid and he's hurt or that he isn't as good as everyone thought he could be. It would destroy him from the inside out.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to trying to get him and have him and Nitty play together, however, I am opposed to paying JVR, a 1st, and almost anyone not named Lupul or Jones for him. If Atlanta wants to move him, they have to be prepared to accept any offer that might not net them a top level prospect for a goalie with an inconsistent history in the league.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote