HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lethonen

Old
04-30-2009, 07:30 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Marshall to take Jones roster spot at Parents old salary of 850k.
Marshall is all ready signed to an entry level contract.

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_0...4143&tagID=419

*edit*

Forgot to say that from what I've heard, if Lehtonen is headed anywhere it's probably Edmonton or Chicago.

Can anybody back that up and not make me look like an idiot?

My guess is that Hedberg leaves over two younger goalies in a rebuilding team.

Last edited by TheSkatingDutchman: 04-30-2009 at 07:40 PM.
TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Kari Lethonen: Flyers and Thrashers were in discussion on bringing him to philly at the trade deadline, but it all fell through. Now with the draft coming up what would you be willing to try to get him out of Atlanta.

I think he would benefit from a change of scenery and be our true number 1 goalie

Ofcourse first we have to start with lupul.....
i think he is only marginally better then biron...plus, i think biron has shown up 2 yrs in row for playoffs so i am comfortable w/ him...i'd rather spend assets and money on improving the d.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2009, 08:25 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDutchman View Post

*edit*

Forgot to say that from what I've heard, if Lehtonen is headed anywhere it's probably Edmonton or Chicago.

Can anybody back that up and not make me look like an idiot?

My guess is that Hedberg leaves over two younger goalies in a rebuilding team.
Maybe if he goes to Chicago Anti Niemi could be available.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Maybe if he goes to Chicago Anti Niemi could be available.
Either him or Crawford, assuming they don't trade Huet, let Khabibulin go and then pick up Lehtonen.

I also wouldn't mind Huet

Old
05-01-2009, 10:40 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Either him or Crawford, assuming they don't trade Huet, let Khabibulin go and then pick up Lehtonen.

I also wouldn't mind Huet
Huet? no thanks. he's no better then Biron and makes twice as much

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Huet? no thanks. he's no better then Biron and makes twice as much
I was joking. I want nothing to do with a near 6 million dollar back up.

Old
05-01-2009, 09:17 PM
turkinaa

If you're talking Lethonen Chicago, might as well try to sign Khabibulin for 2-3 million less than his current deal.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:29 PM
dawkins121

If all else fails, what do you guys think of taking a flier on Josh Harding? Might be difficult since he is an RFA and Minnesota isn't in any sort of cap trouble (especially if Gaborik walks), but if we can lure him away for a contract somewhere in the 1.2-2 million range I think he might be an option worth pursuing.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 11:14 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
If you're talking Lethonen Chicago, might as well try to sign Khabibulin for 2-3 million less than his current deal.
Kinda got the feeling he's gonna be too sought after and it'll be hard to sign him with our cap room (and lack there of).

Old
05-01-2009, 11:17 PM
sirkadhve

seems like the last few years flyers have been picking up bandaid type goalies that last 2 seasons or less.....is there any chance the flyers could go after Johan Gustavsson?? if they dont get him id like the flyers to sign the bulin wall...if that fails then they would have to trade to get a netminder

sirkadhve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 11:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
It might be easier to go after Pavelec (and preferred), but if they want more for him than Lethonen I say let them keep both until they are ready to commit to one of them. There is no point to pay top dollar for a goalie who is injury prone.
Pavelec hasnt shown any improvement in his play the last couple of seasons.
Maybe its just me but right now he sounds like another Niittymaki.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 05-01-2009 at 11:36 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 11:33 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
If all else fails, what do you guys think of taking a flier on Josh Harding? Might be difficult since he is an RFA and Minnesota isn't in any sort of cap trouble (especially if Gaborik walks), but if we can lure him away for a contract somewhere in the 1.2-2 million range I think he might be an option worth pursuing.
I don't think that's an "if all else fails" option. Harding MAY in fact be the best combination of long term upside, proven ability, and low risk/cost. Sign a vet and have them split time for a year and see if he can be THE guy. I've seen Wild fans saying "Lupul and a pick" and similar things would get it done and to me that's a no brainer.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 11:54 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkadhve View Post
seems like the last few years flyers have been picking up bandaid type goalies that last 2 seasons or less.....is there any chance the flyers could go after Johan Gustavsson?? if they dont get him id like the flyers to sign the bulin wall...if that fails then they would have to trade to get a netminder
Homgren said they don't even know who Gustavsson is. Could just be bluffing or whatever, but it's not too promising.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 01:16 PM
phlocky

Quote:

Yeah, so what, he won't cost more than 850k, what we are currently paying Parent. The point was that right now we have Jones at 2.75 mil, Coburn at 1.3 mil and Parent at 850k. For 2010/11 I propose Coburn at 2.75 mil, Parent at 1.3 mil and Marshall at 850k (or there abouts, whatever he is actually signed at). Marshall replaces Jones in the lineup and there is virtually no chance to the cap hit for three dmen.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Pavelec hasnt shown any improvement in his play the last couple of seasons.
Maybe its just me but right now he sounds like another Niittymaki.
This was Pevelec's second season so how can you say that he hasn't shown any improvement in the last couple of seasons?

However, looking at what stats he does have he improved his GAA from 2.78 to 2.55 from his rookie season to his 2nd season and he improved his save %age from .911 to .914. Further, the Chicago Wolves team that he played in this season was worse than the one he played for in his rookie season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 09:32 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Yeah, so what, he won't cost more than 850k, what we are currently paying Parent. The point was that right now we have Jones at 2.75 mil, Coburn at 1.3 mil and Parent at 850k. For 2010/11 I propose Coburn at 2.75 mil, Parent at 1.3 mil and Marshall at 850k (or there abouts, whatever he is actually signed at). Marshall replaces Jones in the lineup and there is virtually no chance to the cap hit for three dmen.
I don't think that Marshall will/should make the roster out of camp. A year or two in (sigh) Glen Falls is probably better for his development. Going from the Q to the NHL is going to require to a lot of adjusting. Sbisa should be able to fill Jones's spot with Syvret as a seventh. Sound realistic?

Old
05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
I don't think that Marshall will/should make the roster out of camp. A year or two in (sigh) Glen Falls is probably better for his development. Going from the Q to the NHL is going to require to a lot of adjusting. Sbisa should be able to fill Jones's spot with Syvret as a seventh. Sound realistic?
Yeah I'm excited for the physicality that Marshall will eventually bring to the big club, but I think he is at least a year away. Holmgren said he thinks Bodrov is NHL ready so he might be an interesting X factor, but I don't think your gonna see Marshall this year.

Old
05-02-2009, 11:01 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Yeah I'm excited for the physicality that Marshall will eventually bring to the big club, but I think he is at least a year away. Holmgren said he thinks Bodrov is NHL ready so he might be an interesting X factor, but I don't think your gonna see Marshall this year.
Bodrov? Almost forgot about that guy. I read that he was supposed to come to camp or something last year. Any chance he'd want to play in America?

Old
05-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
It's a big step from the QMJHL to the NHL, but you only need to look at Pittsburgh to see that it is possible. Letang came out of the Q as a 20 year old, they tried to play him in the AHL but he was just to good for that level and made the NHL after 10 games and never looked back since when.

Rick Deckard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 01:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
isnt Rico in the organization to help with the young defenseman? You could have a guy like Desjardins work with him over the summer and in camp.
I wouldnt say its out of the rhealm of possibility he has a shot to make the team or play with the Flyers next season.
If hes as good as advertised I see no reason why he cant make the team.
Now if the Flyers feel playing 20 plus minutes a game in Glens Falls would be better for his development in his first year of pro hockey then I wouldnt have a problem with it.
I hope he comes to camp next season at the very least and makes the decision very difficult for the coaching staff.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Bodrov? Almost forgot about that guy. I read that he was supposed to come to camp or something last year. Any chance he'd want to play in America?
By all acounts, he wants to play in North America but couldn't get out of his KHL contract. That was the last year of his deal, though, so he's free to come over now I think. I haven't heard about anyone's plans regarding him, but I'm expecting him to make an appearance at camp.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:59 AM
phlocky

Quote:
I don't think he should make the team next year out of camp either. I too think that a year in the AHL would do him goo and 2 years would probably be best. However, I didn't say he should make the team next year out of camp. what I said was that AFTER next year, Jones' contract will be expiring, we can use the money we get from his expiring contract to give raises to Coburn and Parent (they will be RFAs in need of new contracts) and that by the start of the 2010/2011 season we will probably NEED to have a dman on a rookie contract, most likely Marshall, step into the bottom pairing role that was Jones' roster spot for only 850k per year. We may not be able to wait for Marshall to spend 2 years in the minors, we may need to develope him partially in the NHL as a cheap 3rd pairing dman.

Old
05-03-2009, 02:57 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
I don't think he should make the team next year out of camp either. I too think that a year in the AHL would do him goo and 2 years would probably be best. However, I didn't say he should make the team next year out of camp. what I said was that AFTER next year, Jones' contract will be expiring, we can use the money we get from his expiring contract to give raises to Coburn and Parent (they will be RFAs in need of new contracts) and that by the start of the 2010/2011 season we will probably NEED to have a dman on a rookie contract, most likely Marshall, step into the bottom pairing role that was Jones' roster spot for only 850k per year. We may not be able to wait for Marshall to spend 2 years in the minors, we may need to develope him partially in the NHL as a cheap 3rd pairing dman.
That's how it's most likely to go down. We won't be able to unload Jones with his salary so he'll be here for the length of his contract. If Marshall does crack the line-up any time soon, I hope we get him on the powerplay. Maybe, and this is a stretch, he will crack the line-up this year and we'll have true offensive defenseman.

Wait, what we talking about? Oh, Lehtonen. Yeah, it's probably not happening.

Old
05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
phlocky

Quote:
That's how it's most likely to go down. We won't be able to unload Jones with his salary so he'll be here for the length of his contract. If Marshall does crack the line-up any time soon, I hope we get him on the powerplay. Maybe, and this is a stretch, he will crack the line-up this year and we'll have true offensive defenseman.

Wait, what we talking about? Oh, Lehtonen. Yeah, it's probably not happening.
My whole point was that I don't see the need to move Jones. We are going to need his 2.75 coming off the books at the end of next year in order to keep Coburn and Parent anyways. The following year Jones' contract expires and he's outta here. Coburn and Parent get pay increases and Marshall (or another) Joins the team. We go from Jones at 2.75 mil, Coburn at 1.3 mil and Parent at 850k in the 2009/2010 season to Coburn at 2.75 mil, Parent at 1.3 mil and Marshall (or another) at 850k for the 2010/2011 team for a net zero impact to the total cap hit. That's my whole point as to why it's not so bad keeping Jones for next season.

Oh, and yeah, unless we send back salary, we aren't getting Lehtonen and I don't see much reason for Atlanta to take on our salary problems.

Old
05-04-2009, 05:13 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
My whole point was that I don't see the need to move Jones. We are going to need his 2.75 coming off the books at the end of next year in order to keep Coburn and Parent anyways. The following year Jones' contract expires and he's outta here. Coburn and Parent get pay increases and Marshall (or another) Joins the team. We go from Jones at 2.75 mil, Coburn at 1.3 mil and Parent at 850k in the 2009/2010 season to Coburn at 2.75 mil, Parent at 1.3 mil and Marshall (or another) at 850k for the 2010/2011 team for a net zero impact to the total cap hit. That's my whole point as to why it's not so bad keeping Jones for next season.

Oh, and yeah, unless we send back salary, we aren't getting Lehtonen and I don't see much reason for Atlanta to take on our salary problems.
My main problem with keeping Jones isn't his salary, it's that he sucks.