Notices

Outclassed GDT - Detroit 3/21/04

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
I think Pahlsson is getting rid of the "hands of stone" label. He's been scoring a bit lately, and that last goal was a good shot. He should have a great year next season, and is one of those sleeper picks in the pools. I hope next season, whenever that is, he builds up enough good defensive play and popularity to get Selke consideration, though he should get a couple of votes this year anyway.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Randall Graves*

I think Sammi has 6 or 7 goals since the All Star break, He's going to be a really good player for us in the future.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:36 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
what did i say.. Fedz redemption.. MUAHAHAHAAA
Actually you said redmeption. Totally different.

Man, what a game. I figured down 3-0 the Ducks would fold their tents. But the timeout and the "talkin' to" by Babs really turned it around. I would have loved to have heard what he said.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:40 PM
lux_interior

Speaking of class, or lack thereof, I thought it showed a total lack of class for the bandwagon Wings fans to boo Fedorov. But then again, I have to consider the source.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:51 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
Man, what a game. I figured down 3-0 the Ducks would fold their tents. But the timeout and the "talkin' to" by Babs really turned it around. I would have loved to have heard what he said.
"You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold
You gotta be wiser, you gotta be hard
You gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger

You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm
You gotta stay together
All I know, all I know, love will save the day ..."

Old
03-21-2004, 11:52 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt

You gotta stay together
HaHa. God, I hate that song.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Actually you said redmeption. Totally different.

Lupul said Babcock didn't say much except they were just watching Detroit play but that they still had a chance to win if they played hard.

has anyone ever heard of a game where a goalie gave up 6 goals and WON the game?

Old
03-21-2004, 11:58 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller

has anyone ever heard of a game where a goalie gave up 6 goals and WON the game?
Yes, and the goalie's name was Grant Fuhr.

Old
03-22-2004, 12:06 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
HaHa. God, I hate that song.
Well, my lip reading isn't up to snuff ... but I'm pretty sure it was either that, or he said:

"Turn them on, turn them on
Turn on those sad songs
When all hope is gone
Why don't you tune in and turn them on

They reach into your room
Just feel their gentle touch
When all hope is gone
Sad songs say so much ..."

Old
03-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Happened all the time circa ten years ago. Would have been nice to see Babcock do something like that in games that actually mattered. A win like this could have turned something around for real, who knows.

God set career highs for goals, and points in this game, as did Vish, tying his career-high in assists as well. Actually guys had already surpassed their previous career highs in goals. Vish's previous best in goals for one season was 2.

Old
03-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Yes, and the goalie's name was Grant Fuhr.
No I meant literally won the game with his goaltending...not because he was the weak link with a great offense.

Old
03-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

That's not what Fuhr was. That's a terrible description.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:05 AM
deesee

desiree isnt quoted enough on this board. good work.

i think pahlsson will be a good second line player next year.

if rucchin's healthy -- if that isnt too oxymoronic -- we could have a decent second line. p-son, rooch, and jerky/sykora might be able to work out with feds, lupul, and vinny playing on the first?

im just really happy that we won a game.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:07 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Yeah, he certainly wasn't a weak link in any way shape or form. A bit overrated, maybe, but he came up with a lot of great saves in big games.

He was a big part of those Oiler championships.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:27 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
That's not what Fuhr was. That's a terrible description.
I wasn't describing Fuhr at all, I was pointing out that it's not often a goaltender gives up 6 goals and you win because of him...not in spite of him.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:33 AM
lux_interior

I don't think the Ducks won BECAUSE of Giguere. I also don't think they won in spite of him. Giguere save percentage was 51/57 .895. He played well enough to win, but he wasn't THE reason. The Ducks offense was the main reason they beat the Wings.

This game was like an Oilers shootout from the 80's. Giguere made some key saves at key points that helped the Ducks win. But it's not like he stood on his head.

Ozolinsh on the other hand. Who knew he was such a good goalie.

Old
03-22-2004, 02:31 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt

You gotta stay together
:dazzle:

Old
03-22-2004, 02:35 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
I don't think the Ducks won BECAUSE of Giguere. I also don't think they won in spite of him. Giguere save percentage was 51/57 .895. He played well enough to win, but he wasn't THE reason. The Ducks offense was the main reason they beat the Wings.

This game was like an Oilers shootout from the 80's. Giguere made some key saves at key points that helped the Ducks win. But it's not like he stood on his head.

Ozolinsh on the other hand. Who knew he was such a good goalie.
If all other things had been equal and we'd lost 6-0 with Jiggy making his 51 saves, I still don't think I'd be blaming him. Our D was once again nightmarish.

At least Jiggy thinks so:

"We want to be happy because we got the win," Giguere said. "In hockey, that's the only thing that counts. But can we really be happy with this game? We clearly are lost in our own zone. There is no excuse for that in game 76 [of the season]. We should all know what to do in our own zone."

And Dave Lewis pretty much summed Sergei up perfectly:
"When you freewheel in a game like that, he's [Fedorov's] the master of freewheeling," Red Wing Coach Dave Lewis said.

Old
03-22-2004, 03:24 AM
Lyons71

WHY WHY WHY does Havelid get more minutes than Vishnevski???!!!

That was a fun game. Rucchin with a classic two tap-in game. (he loves to stat boost)

This was the least physical hockey game I've ever seen. I don't even remember Sykora getting knocked down once... I knew you had it in you Petr. The Ducks puck control was the best they've ever had this season. Lots of good passes and puckhandling. And Lupul is a good linemate for Feds. And he's been producing on the top line with Feds and Neids. (who also is solid) I don't know why Vish and Severson played so little. Very wierd and entertaining game with both teams sending 4 up.

And Vishnevski's goal was sweet. He made the long pass to get the play started and then got the rebound.

Old
03-22-2004, 04:47 AM
aonez

Wohoo!! Great that Fedorov scored the game winning goal!

Old
03-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Chistov23

Severson played just 3 and a half minutes, chistov only 5:55. Havelid's ice time was down but he still managed a -2. Also Skoula was a game high +3, at first he didn't look much more promising than Sauer but this last week he seems to have really been gaining his confidence back. He was real hesitent when he first arrived but he has been leading rushes, picking up some points and coming out a +. I think on firday Hayward was saying he played like 30 minutes against phoenix in the game that wasn't on tv, anyways hopefully he contines to improve.

Old
03-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
That was a fun game. Rucchin with a classic two tap-in game. (he loves to stat boost)
To be fair Rucchin's first goal was exactly what he needed to do: power his way to the crease and use his strength and soft hands to put the puck around the goalie. Honestly the only complaint about Rucchin for me in this game was how he blew those two picture-perfect passes from Prospal early on by simply taking the shot from a bad angle rather than walking to the front of the net.

On a side note I thought Vinny had a great game, setting up people. It was his great play at the blue line that set up the game winner, even though he didn't get a point on it.

Old
03-22-2004, 11:28 AM
soya_sauce_chicken

well havelid caused that costly goal that Ozo tried to stop..

rabble rabble rabble

Old
03-22-2004, 02:08 PM
caliamad

What a great world we would live in all hockey games were this fun to watch...

I felt kind of bad for Giguere and Babcock... like two parents who lost control of all the children in the family...

Man, what would it take to get them to play that style...

Also, I'm starting to like Skoula a bit... he's not the strongest on the puck, but with game (hopefully) moving to more of a transition game next year, he can be a poor man's Mattias Ohlund... if he became more physical, the sky's the limit...

I'm like our defensive core for next year

Ozo, Carney, Salei, Vish, Skoula...

on the bubble is Halvelid... as a depth defenseman he's great, but he's clearly out of the top 4. I too think Vish should be getitng more ice time, and you have to careful when you use Ozo...

He's the only defenseman whose competent at both ends of the ice, and he's been playing with an edge a lot lately. Just worth on that slapshot vish and gain some weight

Personally I'd like to see us get another defenseman who'd be good with breakout passes, bar none, its our biggest weakness in the group.

Overall, this game showed what he had been missing all season... PASSION...

its obvious we need to get some ra-ra guys, and ruchin as a captain has been a failure of an experiment...

Old
03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
well havelid caused that costly goal that Ozo tried to stop..

rabble rabble rabble
Yeah, I'm thinking Havelid is going to take over the 'bad decisions' title from Rucchin soon. All he does is interfere with people and then, when they get the puck, grab them. 28 has been losing points with me lately...

By the way, I think playing with Fedorov is the best thing for Lupul. A lot of what has made him struggle (when he has) this year is his thinking process. (not knowing what to do with the puck) With Fedorov (when he's going) Lupul doesn't have the time to think and just reacts, which is much better for him. Also, Lupul needs to learn there are other places to shoot than the 5 hole.

Closed Thread