HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockeytown??

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Petey21

vCash: 500
Hockeytown??

I wonder if some of you can explain why Detroit has self-proclaimed themselves "Hockeytown"? This sounds just wrong to me, if you look at the whole league I'd say that both Toronto and Montreal are way more deserving of that title than Detroit, and in the US alone I'm sure Minneapolis/St.Paul is more of a "hockeytown" as well. And I don't think that Detroit called themselves Hockeytown let's say 10 or 15 years ago? Did they get this idea just cause they won a couple cups in the late 90s?

Old
03-21-2004, 07:37 AM
Straka22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21
I wonder if some of you can explain why Detroit has self-proclaimed themselves "Hockeytown"? This sounds just wrong to me, if you look at the whole league I'd say that both Toronto and Montreal are way more deserving of that title than Detroit, and in the US alone I'm sure Minneapolis/St.Paul is more of a "hockeytown" as well. And I don't think that Detroit called themselves Hockeytown let's say 10 or 15 years ago? Did they get this idea just cause they won a couple cups in the late 90s?
Just because Detroit "proclaimed themselves" hockeytown doesn't mean they are. Detroit is a great town for hockey. Feel free to start a reblion. I would love to see a challenge. It would be good for the game.. Detroit vs. Toronto, or Detroit vs. Montreal.. I am all for it

Old
03-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Kukla

Quote:
They were smart enough to think of it first.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:43 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Detroit Trademarked Hockeytown USA before Minny got an NHL team back. And they trademarked the name because they were riding a high a the most successful team in the NHL in the 90's, and somebody in the marketing department hit it big.

You cant challange it, because the only way to challange it is to a) prove Detroit is not part of the US or b) Prove the title is not warranted. And Last i Checked, detroit\Michigan has one of the biggest Hockey programs in the US. And infact I believe they have, statewide, the most hockey programs\leagues. Hell I just found out Texas has more pro teams than all of Canada.

Does that make them a better hockey state that Minnesota? No ofcorse not... But Nobody in minnesota had the gumption to trademark the name. And in the end thats all it is, a Marketing gimmic thats held up because there is no way you can NOT say they are a good Hockey city\state.

oh, and this topic has been beat to death. My argument is the same argument that everybody replies with. Its going on 8 years they have owned the trademark. If somebody wanted to challange it they should of back when money was good in the US.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:50 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Detroit is hockey town of the US. It deserves the title for here.

Detroit's by far the most successful city when it comes to hockey in the States, and the fans in the greater Detroit area are dedicated fans. Only in Detroit and the Twin cities in Minnesota is hockey arguably the most popular sport, above the other 3 thriving sports.

Old
03-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Ricci's hairdresser

Yawnnnnn, this exact topic shows up here once a month. A very smart PR person for the Wings thought the phrase up and trademarked it. It is like Coke owns the "real thing". Are other colas "real"? Of course, but they better not call themselves "the real thing" or they have a trademark infringement case on their hands. Did the Wings have to PROVE they were hockeytown USA to get the trademark from the U.S. Patent Office? No. Coke didn't have to prove they were "the real thing" in order to trademark that phrase, either.

For those that want to stir the pot:

GROW UP, it is a MARKETING PHRASE!

Old
03-21-2004, 09:27 AM
DarioinDenver

With all due respect Obey Detroit has gone through way more than its tough share of support and tough times.

Back in 1983, The Wings had finished last five years in a row, and had missed the playoffs in 16 out of 18 seasons. That was back when the league had 21 teams, and only five teams failed to make the playoffs. Back then, missing the playoffs was not an easy trick. They also played in the lowly Norris division.

Ilitch couldn’t give away tickets. Ilitch actually gave away a brand new car every night. The Wings had 2,200 season ticket holders for a brand-new 19,875-seat building. Until Bowman became coach of the Wings they hadn't won a cup for like 45 years. So, I wouldn't be so quick to proclaim Detroit some magical city of undying support. It's the nature of sport. But I dare say the North Star fans showed greater levels of support with poor performing teams than did the Detroit fans when their team was doing poorly. It should also be noted that the population difference in those respective cities is very large. Doesn't change the fact that the Red Wings are a great franchise but I wouldn't be so quick to put them above the Minn faithfull. Those people live hockey, as close to Canada as we have in the US.

For the record it was Illitch's son who came up with the marketing slogan of hockeytown. It stuck. It wasn't about collegate hockey, hockey in the state of michigan or some ordained title by the NHL. It was simply a marketing term used by the Red Wings and it still is. I've got no problems with it except when a minority of fans make it in to something way more than it really is.

Old
03-21-2004, 09:47 AM
leafaholix*

It's Hockeytown USA.

That's all... and that's arguable.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Surly Furious

St. Paul used to call itself hockeytown in the old days, before Minnesota even had an NHL team. In response to Detroit's Hockeytown USA, Minnesota's marketers came up with the State of Hockey as a slogan when the Wild brought the NHL back here. Massachussetts and Boston would also have some claim to American hockey supremacy as well.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:16 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
It's Hockeytown USA.

That's all... and that's arguable.
not where it counts.

the court system

Old
03-21-2004, 10:28 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Massachussetts and Boston would also have some claim to American hockey supremacy as well.
Interest in the Bruins in New England sure is at a relatively low rate right now.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:33 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
not where it counts.

the court system
lol.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Hart_House_Ca

Detriot has a plan to trademark every name in the book.

From mo-town, to motor city, to hockey town , to crime-town, to ghetto-ville

what makes detriot a hockeytown?

1. Does detriot produce the most hockey players?
2. Is hockey the most important sport in detriot?
3. Do people actually play hockey in detriot?

p.s. Thinking of a name first doesn't make you a hockeytown

Any city can make up a name for itself first in any category

Old
03-21-2004, 10:44 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca

gotta love the slams at Detroit, cause afterall they are the only major city in the US that has crime. Considering they ahvent been tops in that catagory for a few years now is besides the point.

1) the most? Probably not, but you could never get a sure fire answer for that. They are definitely near the top as they have the most youth hockey programs than any state in the US.

2) Yes, but Detroit will first and foremost always be a football town.

3) Do people play hockey iN Detroit? ya, for some reason between October and june a bunch of people seem to flood this place by the riverfront. Cant figure out why.

But yer right, any team can make up a name... Ofcorse they cant call themselves hockeytown USA, or Illitch will own thier ass.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
gotta love the slams at Detroit, cause afterall they are the only major city in the US that has crime. Considering they ahvent been tops in that catagory for a few years now is besides the point.

1) the most? Probably not, but you could never get a sure fire answer for that. They are definitely near the top as they have the most youth hockey programs than any state in the US.

2) Yes, but Detroit will first and foremost always be a football town.

3) Do people play hockey iN Detroit? ya, for some reason between October and june a bunch of people seem to flood this place by the riverfront. Cant figure out why.

But yer right, any team can make up a name... Ofcorse they cant call themselves hockeytown USA, or Illitch will own thier ass.

I like the answer to number two. Detriot will now be known as football-town

3. Is interesting. As a few people play hockey by some riverfront, this is a hockeytown.

How about hockeytown AMERICA , OR AMERICA'S HOCKEYTOWN , OR THE REAL HOCKEYTOWN USA

Old
03-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca

Well, 2 and 3, definately yes. As for 1, in the States, I wouldn't be surprised. After all, its Hockeytown, U.S.A not Hockeytown, N.A. Important qualifier, I would think. Not as far as trademarks and marketing are concerned (I doubt Toronto could market itself as Hockeytown, Canada without getting sued) but if you want to argue the legitimacy of the name, it is.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous U
Well, 2 and 3, definately yes. As for 1, in the States, I wouldn't be surprised. After all, its Hockeytown, U.S.A not Hockeytown, N.A. Important qualifier, I would think. Not as far as trademarks and marketing are concerned (I doubt Toronto could market itself as Hockeytown, Canada without getting sued) but if you want to argue the legitimacy of the name, it is.

Who would sue toronto and on what grounds?

There's something about canada that most people don't know. You don't need a label to know that there is a hockeytown in every canadian city.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:54 AM
leafaholix*

More players from Massachusetts or Michigan?

Old
03-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Hart_House_Ca

So hockey is the most important sport in detriot. For some reason I highly doubt that. Most hockey fans in detriot might say that, but I would argue that there are by far 10 times as many college/nfl football fans that would say football is the most important.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:06 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Interest in the Bruins in New England sure is at a relatively low rate right now.

You are mixing two terms: NHL town and hockey town. While I think interest to the Bruins is lower then it used to be. (actually attendance not the interest) but hockey isn't only NHL...

There are 3 AHL teams in Massachusetts( Massachusetts population is only around 6 mil). 2 other AHL teams are very close Providence Bruins and Manchester Monarchs. An addition to the professional hockey teams there are many quality college teams like BC, BU, UMASS(Lowell and Amherst),Northeastern,Harvard etc.
We have great hockey competitions like Beanpot.

About 43,000 kids in MA are playing recreational and selected hockey. Most of the towns have at least 4 different skill teams of each age level and many have 5-6.

We have absolutely beautiful New England Sports Center (my son is playing his league games there) close to the Boston. Comlex has 4 ice rinks on the same level (you can actually watch 4 games at the same time). Kids and and adults teams from all parts of East Cost come here to play in tournaments. http://www.nes.com/

I've never been to Minnesota or Michigan and can't compare if Boston/Massachusetts is more or less hockey place but I can't imagine more interest to the hockey than here.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Kids and and adults teams from all parts of East Cost come here to play in tournaments. http://www.nes.com/
Does anyone else find it mildly disappointing that www.nes.com has nothing to do with Nintendo? No? Just me? Alright.

Last edited by Superfluous U: 03-21-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old
03-21-2004, 11:52 AM
guinness
those were the days

At the pro level, Detroit is probably a Wings town, but at all other levels, football just blows it away, don't have any hard facts to really back that up, but if you look at the amount of people that are bandwagon U of M fans, the amount of people that go the the Big House, Spartan Stadium, and even to the crappy ass Lions, that's a pretty die-hard football crowd. As for the whole "Hockeytown" BS, it's just clever marketing, most other fans are just jealous that their team, wasn't swift enough to TM it first. At least Colorado didn't get first to ***** it around. And IIRC, the Soo called itself "Hockeytown" back in the 1960's.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
As for the whole "Hockeytown" BS, it's just clever marketing, most other fans are just jealous that their team, wasn't swift enough to TM it first.
That pretty much sums it up, but no doubt we'll get a few pages arguing about it regardless.

Why anyone would get so offended about a marketing scheme is beyond me.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I don't mind it, they can proclaim whatever they want. But why do they have HOCKEYTOWN in their logo at centre ice? It looks stupid.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:38 PM
rodvinge

Send a message via ICQ to rodvinge Send a message via AIM to rodvinge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I don't mind it, they can proclaim whatever they want. But why do they have HOCKEYTOWN in their logo at centre ice? It looks stupid.
This I agree with, whole-heartedly.

Closed Thread