HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Adult Hockey League Talk

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
The craziest thing about all those aches and pains we're talking about? This is non contact hockey we're talking about.

Playing full contact back in my heyday, I remember how I used to feel after weekends where we had two games, I could barely walk come Monday morning.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Rock Fury View Post
The craziest thing about all those aches and pains we're talking about? This is non contact hockey we're talking about.

Playing full contact back in my heyday, I remember how I used to feel after weekends where we had two games, I could barely walk come Monday morning.
Maybe YOU should be wearing one of these:

Old
05-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Maybe YOU should be wearing one of these:

Hah!

By the time they were wearing those unis, I was already a fat shadow of my former self.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Gonna play some roller pick up today. Need some conditioning.

So on a further not, I have always had a good wrist shot and a good snap shot. My backhand is good too but I have never been able to slap shot. To the point where I really never even tried. But I think that I figured out my problem yesterday. I never had the face open, I always had the puck far back in my stance and came down almost on top of it. I started doing some snap shots with a little more of a wind up and then fixed it from there.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I never had the face open, I always had the puck far back in my stance and came down almost on top of it.
What do you mean by "open."

And you want the puck someone around your front foot.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:

yeah I'm not sure what he means by that too.

If you lift your stick, say parallel to the ice, the blade should be parallel as well.

I just recently got my slap shot pretty much down, and it can be pretty nasty. I think I can aim better than Erhoff...but then again who can't?

On another note, I played pickup this morning and realized that my outside left edge is dull. I nearly injured my groin. Lesson learned, don't even attempt to play with a dull edge.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
SharkXJ

Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
I'm starting to get sore in my calfs and hamstrings. Haven't played in a couple of weeks.... I really need to hit the ice more often. 1 game a week doesn't cut it.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:47 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I mean I basically always had my wrists rolled in a way. I would come down on top of the puck so the face would be closed and I would basically just try and power the **** out of the shot. I never actually rolled my wrist during the shot. I figured that out by being bored and shooting a puck towards the boards

Old
05-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Quote:
I mean I basically always had my wrists rolled in a way. I would come down on top of the puck so the face would be closed and I would basically just try and power the **** out of the shot. I never actually rolled my wrist during the shot. I figured that out by being bored and shooting a puck towards the boards
Well when you make contact, you do want the blade cupped over the puck.

Old
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well when you make contact, you do want the blade cupped over the puck.
well, then maybe it was the fact I had it far back in my stance that made it never goes above 2 inches off the ground. But I am noticing the difference with rolling the wrists is that I was able to lift the puck up a lot more

Old
05-01-2009, 11:55 AM
SharkXJ

My slap shot SUCKS ASS!!!! Never had one - hopefully someday one of the nice folks here on HFboard will teach me A lot of it for me is weight transfer. I shoot from my back foot and don't really shift my weight.

Wrist shot is OK but I have a hard time lifting the puck. I don't use my wrist at all, really need to learn how to do that.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:06 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkXJ View Post
My slap shot SUCKS ASS!!!! Never had one - hopefully someday one of the nice folks here on HFboard will teach me A lot of it for me is weight transfer. I shoot from my back foot and don't really shift my weight.

Wrist shot is OK but I have a hard time lifting the puck. I don't use my wrist at all, really need to learn how to do that.
yeah, I am not one to teach about slapshots. But my wrist shot is good. Although I just got a new stick to try out and it might have too much curve. It is the Frolov blade and it looks crazy. Totally open blade, lifts the puck like crazy.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
SharkXJ

Quote:
yeah, I am not one to teach about slapshots. But my wrist shot is good. Although I just got a new stick to try out and it might have too much curve. It is the Frolov blade and it looks crazy. Totally open blade, lifts the puck like crazy.
I use either the Lidstrom or Thornton Blade. They are both pretty similar. More of a passing blade, not much curve, square end, open and long. I need to start to try other patterns. I use to use Yzerman which had a wucked cureve and I had no control what so ever. Granted, I don't have the best hands anyways - hahaha

Old
05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I use either the Lidstrom or Thornton Blade. They are both pretty similar. More of a passing blade, not much curve, square end, open and long. I need to start to try other patterns. I use to use Yzerman which had a wucked cureve and I had no control what so ever. Granted, I don't have the best hands anyways - hahaha
Yeah, I used to use an Yzerman and still haven't found a blade that I love. The Sakic is close from easton. I have 3 different sticks.

Reebok 7K Sickick (got it for $60 from RollinIce, they were having a sale). Modano curve 85 flex

Tps R4 with a Frolov blade, whip flex. I am not hard on sticks and wanted to try a whip flex.

My classic CCM shaft with Sakic blade. This one is a 110 flex.

clearly I haven't fallen in love with a stick lately. I will find one but hopefully I will find it soon

Old
05-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

I still use a wooden stick. Can get some nice slappers with that. But I've never played a game in my life, there's just no "pickup" or beer league kind of hockey in Sweden. I've just skated for myself on the outdoor rinks once in a while.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:45 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
I still use a wooden stick. Can get some nice slappers with that. But I've never played a game in my life, there's just no "pickup" or beer league kind of hockey in Sweden. I've just skated for myself on the outdoor rinks once in a while.
so awesome.

Old
05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Quote:

Weight transfer is key for all shots. Without that you get no flex on the stick and thus no power.

Old
05-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Thwarter
All out of bubblegum

The trick to a good slapshot is getting the stick loaded (flexed) before it hits the puck. By loading, I mean flexing it against the ice a few inches before you contact the puck which stores energy that gets released when the stick launches the puck. Also, good back-to-front weight shift is important.

Old
05-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

That last Al picture is a great one.

Old
05-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwarter View Post
The trick to a good slapshot is getting the stick loaded (flexed) before it hits the puck. By loading, I mean flexing it against the ice a few inches before you contact the puck which stores energy that gets released when the stick launches the puck. Also, good back-to-front weight shift is important.

The Kane slapshot actually didn't look like he got a lot on it. Its definitely sailing low.

however, its so weird how he lifts the puck. He barely gives it a touch and it tips over. I gotta work on that when giving the refs the pucks for brownie points

Old
05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
however, its so weird how he lifts the puck. He barely gives it a touch and it tips over. I gotta work on that when giving the refs the pucks for brownie points
It's all momentum.

Old
05-01-2009, 01:21 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The Kane slapshot actually didn't look like he got a lot on it. Its definitely sailing low.

I don't try to give the refs the puck like that, I would just hurt them

Old
05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Flipping the puck, or picking it up on your stick (ala the michigan) are very very easy to do once you get the feel for it. I can pick the puck up on my blade one handed on my backhand. It's all about applying the right pressure in the right spot.

Old
05-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Flipping the puck, or picking it up on your stick (ala the michigan) are very very easy to do once you get the feel for it. I can pick the puck up on my blade one handed on my backhand. It's all about applying the right pressure in the right spot.
I'm sure it is, I just haven't found that sweet spot yet

I figured out the G spot a while ago though, and the ladies love me for it.

Old
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Quote:
I'm sure it is, I just haven't found that sweet spot yet

I figured out the G spot a while ago though, and the ladies love me for it.
Clearly being able to do the Michigan move is more important. Get your priorities straight.

Closed Thread