HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Adult Hockey League Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
  #126
SharkXJ
Registered User
 
SharkXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to SharkXJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
LOL! Calling me a ringer in this division is more of a compliment if you ask me. But yeah, my team is getting much better and we should probably be playing in DD. Our goaltender is ridiculously awesome.
What team are you on again?

SharkXJ is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
  #127
Rem
For that, I'm out
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Always Sunny in Vale
Country: United States
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkXJ View Post
What team are you on again?
Cereal Killers.

We won again on Saturday, 5-3 and we're now 4-0. I got another assist, now with 9 points and a 5 game goal streak (one preseason )

Rem is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 05:40 PM
  #128
Rem
For that, I'm out
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Always Sunny in Vale
Country: United States
Posts: 3,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
So I ended playing both the roller and ice game, the roller game was alright, legs were like jelly for most of it. But the ice game was nuts. My legs were already warm and I was flying out there. 2 G and 2 A, technically had 4 A but they didn't credit me on them since they were secondary. We were up by 6 so I was bringing all the D to me and passing it off trying to get my linemates some more points.

I told Walt that Ari said hi. He said hi.
Nice! I know what you mean about playing a game and then flying the one after. It usually takes me about a period to really get my legs going if I don't have a proper warm up (light jog, stretch, skate/shoot).

Good job! And thanks for relaying that msg to Walt.

Rem is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 05:43 PM
  #129
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Cereal Killers.

We won again on Saturday, 5-3 and we're now 4-0. I got another assist, now with 9 points and a 5 game goal streak (one preseason )
Ringer

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
  #130
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Nice! I know what you mean about playing a game and then flying the one after. It usually takes me about a period to really get my legs going if I don't have a proper warm up (light jog, stretch, skate/shoot).

Good job! And thanks for relaying that msg to Walt.
Last night I had 2 games back to back, the 2nd game felt like overtime to me. My legs felt like jello.

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
  #131
SJGoalie32
Registered User
 
SJGoalie32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TealTown, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Last night I had 2 games back to back, the 2nd game felt like overtime to me. My legs felt like jello.
I'm actually going to do that on Wednesday night. Playing in goal first, then doing the forward thing. Fortunately goaltender isn't usually too exhausting, so I don't think I'll have a problem with the 2nd game. Might be a little sluggish by the 3rd period, but I have ways to overcome that.

A few years ago when I lived in SF, I used to also play the outfield in a men's adult baseball league. Full on hardball......fast pitch, breaking balls, stealing....the works. Mostly made up of guys who were former junior college or Div-III players. Usually used nicely groomed diamonds at high schools or community colleges. Used to wake up around 6am on a Sunday and drive from SF to ballparks as far away as Soquel or Antioch/Pittsburg to play a double-header.....first game at 10a, second game at 1p. In the summer, a few of those games were in 105+ degree heat.

At the time, I also played in goal on two teams in Oakland that played on Sunday nights. So after my baseball double-header ended, I'd often drive 45-70 miles and get to Oakland just in time to strap on the goalie gear and play a pair of back-to-back games in net.

It was so exhausting and it killed my entire day, but I do miss those times a little.

SJGoalie32 is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 06:16 PM
  #132
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
I'm actually going to do that on Wednesday night. Playing in goal first, then doing the forward thing. Fortunately goaltender isn't usually too exhausting, so I don't think I'll have a problem with the 2nd game. Might be a little sluggish by the 3rd period, but I have ways to overcome that.

A few years ago when I lived in SF, I used to also play the outfield in a men's adult baseball league. Full on hardball......fast pitch, breaking balls, stealing....the works. Mostly made up of guys who were former junior college or Div-III players. Usually used nicely groomed diamonds at high schools or community colleges. Used to wake up around 6am on a Sunday and drive from SF to ballparks as far away as Soquel or Antioch/Pittsburg to play a double-header.....first game at 10a, second game at 1p. In the summer, a few of those games were in 105+ degree heat.

At the time, I also played in goal on two teams in Oakland that played on Sunday nights. So after my baseball double-header ended, I'd often drive 45-70 miles and get to Oakland just in time to strap on the goalie gear and play a pair of back-to-back games in net.

It was so exhausting and it killed my entire day, but I do miss those times a little.
I don't want to hear excuses, you're scoring 3 goals on Wednesday.

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 06:20 PM
  #133
Lee Van Cleef*
 
Lee Van Cleef*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
I've been scouting the sports scene in Perth lately and found that they have an amazing 2 ice rinks in the city area. And a couple senior teams to boot. Might have to go check it out once I get there, I'm not gonna be able to afford a set of hockey equipment on my meager student funding but if I stay after the tuition is over I might just join them.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
  #134
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 16,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
I've been scouting the sports scene in Perth lately and found that they have an amazing 2 ice rinks in the city area. And a couple senior teams to boot. Might have to go check it out once I get there, I'm not gonna be able to afford a set of hockey equipment on my meager student funding but if I stay after the tuition is over I might just join them.
You'll never make the team ... Swedes have no heart, remember?

Nighthock is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
  #135
Lee Van Cleef*
 
Lee Van Cleef*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
You'll never make the team ... Swedes have no heart, remember?
Well, Australians have no skill... right?

Lee Van Cleef* is offline  
Old
05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
  #136
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Nice! I know what you mean about playing a game and then flying the one after. It usually takes me about a period to really get my legs going if I don't have a proper warm up (light jog, stretch, skate/shoot).

Good job! And thanks for relaying that msg to Walt.
I need more than the little warm up I think, I am going to start trying to ride a bike for a little before or something.

I actually had a hattie. I got a wrap around on my first shift that I forgot about. My other 2 goals the other team started complementing me on. So the scorekeep shafted me 3 points, rabble rabble rabble. I am definitely moving up after this season. The question is how far.

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
05-20-2009, 01:26 AM
  #137
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
I think my team might need a goalie for Sunday night at 9:45, let me know if you can do it (I will have to check if we still need it once you confirm though). It is EE and I won't be shooting on you (so you won't look silly)

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
05-20-2009, 04:33 AM
  #138
poppap527
Registered User
 
poppap527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,289
vCash: 500
Anyone here going to the tournament in scottsdale this weekend? I know there are a lot of teams attending from all over North America. I was hoping to get the opportunity to play a canadian team, but were stuck in a division with 2 other california teams and a phoenix team.

poppap527 is offline  
Old
05-25-2009, 02:01 AM
  #139
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
we got our ass kicked tonight. A short bench is no fun. The team we were playing against was all x roller guys like myself, I actually used to play against most of them and with 1 of them. He plays in CC as well and I might play a game or two up there as a sub.....

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
  #140
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
We lost to SJRinkRat's team last night. It was a good game. We were up early and they came back. I had a goal but definitely should have buried some more. Oh well. Good game RinkRat

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
06-03-2009, 08:13 PM
  #141
SJRinkRat
 
SJRinkRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to SJRinkRat
Yeah, man that was a good game the other night. Sorry to hear about your center. I was talking to Eric after the game about what happened. I hope he is alright.

Yeah, you got some moves my friend. Still, the off the skate and through the defender's legs had to be the best of the night. Hopefully I did not make it easy for you but it was fun defending you.

It did seem like the moment changed after the first period and you guys started to slow down. Do you guys usually sit two guys high on the blue line and just wait for the long break out passes? You guys were doing that all night. You guys really like to feed that right side (your left side) breakout though. There is another whole side of the ice.

But yeah, good times. Can't wait for the next game.

SJRinkRat is offline  
Old
06-03-2009, 08:51 PM
  #142
MrCowGod15
Registered User
 
MrCowGod15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
So, the captain on our team moved me from LW to D because we were constantly short on defenders, and I'm rather surprised at how much I like playing D! I've played LW since I've started playing hockey--never D. Just wish I had a slap shot. Until I get that down, I'll keep looking for those deflections in the slot with my wrist shot.

I also find the difference in height between me and my D partner amusing: he's around 6'7" and I'm 5'7".

MrCowGod15 is offline  
Old
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
  #143
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowGod15 View Post
So, the captain on our team moved me from LW to D because we were constantly short on defenders, and I'm rather surprised at how much I like playing D! I've played LW since I've started playing hockey--never D. Just wish I had a slap shot. Until I get that down, I'll keep looking for those deflections in the slot with my wrist shot.

I also find the difference in height between me and my D partner amusing: he's around 6'7" and I'm 5'7".
I joined a team in which I'm playing D and I was partnered up for a game with a guy who is somewhere near that height. It was awkward.

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
06-04-2009, 01:45 AM
  #144
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRinkRat View Post
Yeah, man that was a good game the other night. Sorry to hear about your center. I was talking to Eric after the game about what happened. I hope he is alright.
Yeah, that was weird. He had a good gash on his ear though. He needed stitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRinkRat View Post
Yeah, you got some moves my friend. Still, the off the skate and through the defender's legs had to be the best of the night. Hopefully I did not make it easy for you but it was fun defending you.
haha, that move doesn't work all the time, but when it does it is quite nice. Too bad I didn't score on the shot. I had more time though, should have held on a little longer.

How horrible was that ice though? That sucked. During warm-ups I was just hitting little snap shots on the ground (through the lake) and it would just stop dead about 3 feet in front of me. That is the first time I have ever seen ice like that so it was something new to try and deal with.

You were fine on D. I thought I had you beat once but you turned pretty well. I wasn't stick-handling as much as I usually would (moves wise) because I wasn't confident in that ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRinkRat View Post
It did seem like the moment changed after the first period and you guys started to slow down. Do you guys usually sit two guys high on the blue line and just wait for the long break out passes? You guys were doing that all night. You guys really like to feed that right side (your left side) breakout though. There is another whole side of the ice.

But yeah, good times. Can't wait for the next game.
I don't think that the D is purposely going out that way or not. That is my side, LW. I usually mark my point and float about half way down. A lot of D just clear it out so I hang out by the half boards if I see the play going that way. If a D is coming to stop it I have quite a few little tricks to make sure the puck gets by them. I still don't have all of the positioning down at all. You can tell that I was roller from how much I held onto the puck though. Your team was good at bringing someone else onto me right after I would get by someone though. Plus this was one of the more physical games I have played so far. Which is fine with me. Except when that giant on your team slide tackled me, that wasn't cool.

Should be a good one next time.

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
  #145
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
Man, I was just looking up at the A league stats and noticed something interesting. Look at the players on the team Pager Flakes

http://stats.liahl.org/display-sched...seq=0&league=1

Jamie Baker, Viktor Tikhonov.

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
  #146
Jacomagoo
Registered User
 
Jacomagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to pass on some very sad news in case any of you played with or knew Brian Bart. He was on my DDDD Red Army team but I know he played with a few other teams at Sharks Ice as well.

I am very sad to inform you that Brian passed away on June 5th from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident .

All of us are pretty devastated, as well as Brian's other teams, his family, and his friends.

Brian's memorial service is scheduled for Saturday, June 13th, at the Church of the Chimes at 3:00pm at 1447 Bryan Ave, San Jose. All are welcome.

Jacomagoo is offline  
Old
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
  #147
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacomagoo View Post
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to pass on some very sad news in case any of you played with or knew Brian Bart. He was on my DDDD Red Army team but I know he played with a few other teams at Sharks Ice as well.

I am very sad to inform you that Brian passed away on June 5th from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident .

All of us are pretty devastated, as well as Brian's other teams, his family, and his friends.

Brian's memorial service is scheduled for Saturday, June 13th, at the Church of the Chimes at 3:00pm at 1447 Bryan Ave, San Jose. All are welcome.
I heard he had an 8 month child as well. RIP.

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
  #148
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
I did not know him but RIP. Terrible news to hear.

I played a 6am gretzky for the first time. I actually had no problem getting up. You should come out Murph so I can help you get your groove back by me firing pucks at your head.

TheGooooch is offline  
Old
06-10-2009, 02:33 PM
  #149
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
I did not know him but RIP. Terrible news to hear.

I played a 6am gretzky for the first time. I actually had no problem getting up. You should come out Murph so I can help you get your groove back by me firing pucks at your head.
I work.

Rickety Cricket is offline  
Old
06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
  #150
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I work.
so you are at work getting paid to be on Hf?

TheGooooch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.