HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Williams - where's the love?

Old
05-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I'd like to see us make a run at Kessler, but there's no chances of that one either
at the thought of Kessler and RJ playing on the same team and not killing each other.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:48 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
I'd like to see us make a run at Kessler, but there's no chances of that one either
Immediately coming to mind is this...

I'm not saying that fight combatants can't play on the same team (look at Boll and Commie), but...

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:57 AM
BluejacketNut

You can also look at Torres and Williams (cant see Youbtube at work, so cant see the video, didnt know they had an incident

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
shoplifter110

If the money is right, go for it. There's no reason we can't run the 3rd line as a situational scoring line, while making the 4th the *new* 3rd, and just giving the 4th a few more minutes per game.

shoplifter110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:19 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I'm a little unsure on Williams.

Strengths:
Quick release
Right handed shot
Good sniper
Decent in shootouts
Clearly great in the locker room- you gotta love a guy that buys robes for the playoffs!

Weaknesses:
He isn't strong in face-offs
Too weak on the puck to play the point and QB the PP
Not a good defensive forward, yet would play bottom 6
Often turns over the puck at the point and is very slow to react creating odd man rushes

I think he is one of those guys that you hold off, and if you can't sign players you like better, you sign him. Like Peca last summer.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I think he is one of those guys that you hold off, and if you can't sign players you like better, you sign him. Like Peca last summer.
Exactly my thought.

Old
05-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I wouldn't mind trying.

I think I saw someone post something like this a couple weeks ago:

Umberger-Brassard-Nash
Umberger-Vermette-Voracek
Umberger-Umberger-Umberger
Umberger-Malhota-Dorsett

Commodore-Hejda
Klesla-Tyutin
Umberger-Russell

Mason
Umberger
That is a sweet looking 3rd line.

I think Williams brings a lot to this team offensively, and should be part of the retooled PP next season, but he's not a great two way player, so the price tag will have to reflect that. I'd like to see him back if Howson and make the numbers work.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 10:37 AM
BluejacketNut

Williams' faults as a PPQB are understandable since thats not the position he should be playing. He should be playing on the left wing on power plays so he's availble for the one timer on that side. Him and Commodore would practice passing and one timers at the end of the pre game skate

Old
05-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Hobieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
From an outsider pointview I would not resign Williams if I were the Jackets. If he's signed it wont be long before he becomes a burden for this team. This kind of player is good for half a season but it is not a player who you can simply project production on prorate.

Everything went the best for him and he had a good production. Since this was his best I think its safe to assume he over achieved. The BJ's are defensive minded team, he sure doesnt fit. He's an okay scorer but will he get enough ice time with Brassard and Voracek (maybe Filatov) taking over.

Just dump him, or he will be painfull to watch. Think Chimera.
You were actually making sense until you said: "Think Chimera"

Hobieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
GrimReeper

Quote:
Williams' faults as a PPQB are understandable since thats not the position he should be playing. He should be playing on the left wing on power plays so he's availble for the one timer on that side. Him and Commodore would practice passing and one timers at the end of the pre game skate
Nothing bothered me more than this. Why did we not have our "righties" playing on the left side and vise-versa on the PP in order to fire out 1 timers...It's so much harder to defend. And you're vision is better that way since you are opened up to the ice. Just seems like common knowledge and for some reason we weren't ever set up like that.

GrimReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReeper View Post
Nothing bothered me more than this. Why did we not have our "righties" playing on the left side and vise-versa on the PP in order to fire out 1 timers...It's so much harder to defend. And you're vision is better that way since you are opened up to the ice. Just seems like common knowledge and for some reason we weren't ever set up like that.
I guess its the same reasoning on not putting Nash infront of the goalie....but yet, instead choosing for Torres to do it! Now of course that reasoning makes NO SENSE to me, and not cause im not a hockey coach, but because it was last in the league.....its obvious!

If our staff stays entirely the same next year, I will be concerned!

Old
05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
gocbj

He scores points. We need point scorers. I don't think 2.5 - 3M / year is too much for his versatility. He could really be a #2 or #3 center

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
section 204

If he wants 3 mil+ per, he'll be somewhere else next season.

If he'll take less than 3 mil per to stay in Columbus, you do that. he becomes a number 5 winger playing on the 2nd/3rd lines and filling in at center when necessary.

BUT - in a shallow FA market, we're not the only ones who've noticed that the guy played really strong hockey when he was lined up with the right kind of players. He'll get a "What the heck?" contract this summer and by next fall we'll all be debating on here whether or not he should have been re-signed, even at the inflated number. Imagine Ron Hainsey - with better hair.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:33 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
He scores points. We need point scorers. I don't think 2.5 - 3M / year is too much for his versatility. He could really be a #2 or #3 center
True Williams isn't a very good defender. And he's a borderline top six player. But I don't think a third or fourth line has to consist of all defensive guys. You put out the best guys you have. After all they have to defend you, too, and depth can wear down defenses. And if a player can add something on special teams, which Williams does, that can swing the argument.

I don't really think we need this like must be all, so much is that we roll four lines in all situations, and that our lower lines eat up enough minutes to keep our top people fresh, so the can stay in longer if we're say, behind at the end. And so they can stay healthier during a very long season. Williams and Maholtra are both plus bottom six centers, and minuses in the top six. If our third or fourth lines aren't prototypical, that's okay, so long as they're better than the other teams bottom six.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Lainey

I like him, I think he's Peca's replacement.

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 07:16 AM
section 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
I like him, I think he's Peca's replacement.
At three times the cost of Peca?

Does Peca really need to be "replaced?" Perhaps removed will do.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Lainey

Peca needs replaced, at least his role as "lower line center/winger that can fill in higher up if necessary".

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 08:05 AM
gocbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
At three times the cost of Peca?

Does Peca really need to be "replaced?" Perhaps removed will do.

Yes. You'll get 2X the points for 2 1/2 the price and he is 6 years younger. I pay JW. He has discipline and handles the puck well.

I think we have fallen into a rut where we all think the 3rd line is the grinder line. Crap. That's the 4th line

Top 6: Juice, Nash and Brassard. Vermette, Umberger and Voracek

How's this for a 3rd line: Filatov, Williams and Torres (to add a little grit)

4th line: Chimera (for a little skill), Dorsett and another tough guy. I like Colton Orr.

We need a backup goalie (and I like Dubie for his attitude and price). Seems to enjoy hanging out / over! the bench.

We need to spend our $5M on a PPQB sniper D-man

Wouldn't surprise me to see a blockbuster trade that brings someone like Thorton in to play with Nash

FYI: UFA by position

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-n...s-by-position/

Old
05-02-2009, 09:09 AM
LaCosta Nostra

What concerns me more is that his physical play is weaker than Huselius. I need to be shown he can step that up if needed on a consistent basis. Regardless, I'd like him back for 3rd line duty. $1.5 per year for 2-3 years.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 03:33 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Immediately coming to mind is this...

I'm not saying that fight combatants can't play on the same team (look at Boll and Commie), but...
And after the game when Umberger came out to the fans, someone mentioned the fight. RJ's response was "...... and he's(Kesler) a pus*y"

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZArcher View Post
I'd like to keep him if the money is right.

We got him for a song and dance from Atlanta, and that was brilliant, but especially with working on re-signing Nash, cap space and salaries are going to become -very- important real soon.
Too bad we can't take for granted bizarre lopsided 30 year contracts like Detroit can. I have a feeling Howson's gonna have to back a dumptruck full of money into Nash's driveway.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 07:27 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I hope we will sign Jason Williams. We will have three good lines:

Huselius - Brassard - Nash
Umberger - Vermette - Voráček
Picard - Williams - Filatov
Murray - Gratton - Dorsett/Boll

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:38 AM
gocbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I hope we will sign Jason Williams. We will have three good lines:

Huselius - Brassard - Nash
Umberger - Vermette - Voráček
Picard - Williams - Filatov
Murray - Gratton - Dorsett/Boll
What do I miss with Picard. How can he be described on the NHL level as anything but worthless? He tries to be tough, and isn't. He can't score...???

Old
05-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
What do I miss with Picard. How can he be described on the NHL level as anything but worthless? He tries to be tough, and isn't. He can't score...???
He showed improvement this year. Most are hoping he found his scoring touch at the pro level. To end the year with Syracuse, he had something like 21 goals in 22 games. Near the end of the season, he scored 7 goals in 2 games.

He's a good checking line winger and does bring physicality. If Boll doesn't show improvement next year, Picard could pass him on the depth chart.

Most of all, he's only 23. Not every player finds his NHL game at 19 or 20. The biggest thing working against Picard is that if he doesn't step up his game next year, we'll have cheaper (and potentially better) options than him.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 04:16 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
He showed improvement this year. Most are hoping he found his scoring touch at the pro level. To end the year with Syracuse, he had something like 21 goals in 22 games. Near the end of the season, he scored 7 goals in 2 games.

He's a good checking line winger and does bring physicality. If Boll doesn't show improvement next year, Picard could pass him on the depth chart.

Most of all, he's only 23. Not every player finds his NHL game at 19 or 20. The biggest thing working against Picard is that if he doesn't step up his game next year, we'll have cheaper (and potentially better) options than him.
And I think Alex can play in upper line than third.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote