Notices

Murph: Win one for Axe?

Old
05-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Kovi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe11sson View Post
Responding to your second. I think you have it right on, which doesn't surprise me. I've come to expect that from plaid lemurs, and I know plenty, Axe will decide his own career. He's had a very good NHL career, and he's also shown a loyalty rare in pro sports these days., Some of that is down to circumstance, but that angle is myopic because he's managed to do his job for our franchise for 11 years. As a Bruins fan I'd love for him to adopt a "Bruins or bust" philosophy and return to Sweden (to be a star) if the Bruins don't sign him. I'm just not sure this is what he'll do.

What I do know is this- I expect him to give everything he has in the remainder of these playoffs, for himself and for the Bruins, and that is all I can ask. Where he ends up next year is up to him. I wouldn't think to dictate terms to a 34 y/o millionaire in any other field, so hockey is no different. Players can earn the right to be free agents, despite what rabid fans think, and PJ is one of those players. It's a bonus to have a lifer like him in the locker room; I'll never be convinced otherwise.
You are such a dynamic writer

I think Axe will finish out his career here.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 03:00 PM
InfernoOrangeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
I really hope so.

InfernoOrangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:

I would like to see that.

Now where is BMC...she needs to see this love for PJ.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:38 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:

I really hope Axe ends his career here too, I also hope this isn't his last season, but I don't think I could stand seeing him in another Jersey, Axe is a Bruin.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampBear View Post
I really hope Axe ends his career here too, I also hope this isn't his last season, but I don't think I could stand seeing him in another Jersey, Axe is a Bruin.
Well said. Seeing PJ playing for another team would be sad for most of the Bruin's fans. The guy loves playing for the black and gold. Such an excellent PK.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetape View Post
He is the Bruins' Troy Brown. Just a flat-out player.
Um not even close. There were 2 seasons that you could have said that Troy Brown was the Pats best player, and one of those you could even make a case for him as league MVP.

When was Axe the B's best player?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
SniperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_lemur View Post
If I were advising him (and wasn't such a massive Bruin's homer), I'd have him consider signing with Frolunda next year. Be a 'star', get more familiarized with the in and outs of the league, and set Ax up to either become part of an ownership group, or at least get him more face time in front of the Swedish fans to exploit possible opportunities in sponsorships and the like.

Does anyone know how well-known Ax is with everyday Swedes?

He was a hero after the gwg 6-5 against Finland in the 2003 world championships after beeing down 1-5. He isn´t considered as one of the top players rather a consistent role player in the olympics etc. For frolunda fans he will allways be a star player. If he gets back to Sweden he won´t automatically become the biggest star of the league, players like Kenny Jonsson are considered bigger stars.

SniperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 04:48 PM
plemur
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperTom View Post
He was a hero after the gwg 6-5 against Finland in the 2003 world championships after beeing down 1-5. He isn´t considered as one of the top players rather a consistent role player in the olympics etc. For frolunda fans he will allways be a star player. If he gets back to Sweden he won´t automatically become the biggest star of the league, players like Kenny Jonsson are considered bigger stars.
I wouldn't imagine he'd be even close to the biggest star in the SEL (there's some serious talent there), but right now, if you stopped (10) 18-34 year old males on the street, how many would know who he was? If he went back to the SEL for 2 years, how much would that recognition increase do you think?

plemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 04:58 PM
SniperTom

Quote:
I wouldn't imagine he'd be even close to the biggest star in the SEL (there's some serious talent there), but right now, if you stopped (10) 18-34 year old males on the street, how many would know who he was? If he went back to the SEL for 2 years, how much would that recognition increase do you think?
I do understand the marketing value. I was just answering you´re question about how the casual fan look at PJ. In Frolunda he is already seen as a hero, but as you say a couple of strong seasons there would only cement his status more.

Old
05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
plemur
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperTom View Post
I do understand the marketing value. I was just answering you´re question about how the casual fan look at PJ. In Frolunda he is already seen as a hero, but as you say a couple of strong seasons there would only cement his status more.
I wasn't making my point, I was seriously asking you. I would be interested to know how popular Swedish NHL players are there to everyday people, and also how well-known SEL players are to the 'average' Swede.

plemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 06:11 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
I wasn't making my point, I was seriously asking you. I would be interested to know how popular Swedish NHL players are there to everyday people, and also how well-known SEL players are to the 'average' Swede.
I think I get what your saying, is he known in the way Karsums was, where whenever he got a chance at an NHL game we would get a bunch of Latvians in the GDT saying he was a hero in Latvia.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I would like to see that.

Now where is BMC...she needs to see this love for PJ.
Here I am! And yes I am just loving this

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:33 AM
SniperTom

Quote:
The swedish hockey fans are spoiled, the average nhl'er won´t get much attention. Players like Forsberg, Lidstrom, Sundin and in a way Z are treated like gods. A hockey warrior like Axe gets very little attention. I think that only a few would recognize him if they met him on the street.