HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Please Sign the "Keep the Coyotes in Phoenix" Petition!

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseman View Post
08-09: 14,875
07-08: 14,820
06-07: 14,988
05-06: 15,596
03-04: 15,467
02-03: 13,229
01-02: 13,165
00-01: 14,224

Up by 55 per game over last year. Down by 113 from the year before, and so on. That does not account for the loss of corporate sponsors (and luxury boxes). Of the last 8 seasons, only 05-06 were they out of the bottom 10 in the league, and 5 they were in the bottom five of the league. No, a new arena did not help attendance.
How can you say the new arena didn't help attendance? 00-03 were all at the old building, attendance is higher now than in 02-03, buy your own admission. They moved into the new building in December of '03

Old
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Predsboro

Nashville Predator fan in support of keeping the Phoenix Coyotes in AZ ... just say no to Ballsack Balsillie!

Old
05-05-2009, 11:01 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
but wait a minute could we as fans take a collection to purchase the team.
It worked for the Saskatchewan Roughriders I do believe.

05-05-2009, 11:03 PM
gooseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
How can you say the new arena didn't help attendance? 00-03 were all at the old building, attendance is higher now than in 02-03, buy your own admission. They moved into the new building in December of '03
No, I do not admit any such thing. They cannot come close to filling an undersized arena even when they give tickets away, which they do routinely. Their attendance is almost back down to were it was, and a 55 body per game when cutting prices and giving away tickets is not an increase. They finished 28th in the league in attendance, out of 30. The league has to give them a financial crutch every year, and still they are insolvent. They cannot put fans in the stands because no one there cares. I am very familiar with Phoenix, I lived on Baseline in Tempe, and in Chandler. Their ticket sales pace is ahead of last years because they are giving very large discounts, as several other teams are to try to put bodies in the stands next year.

Old
05-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Oggleson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I agree, I for one am happy to say that the coyotes are the reason that I started playing hockey. Growth of the sport in the valley is going to be interesting to see what's going to happen.
When I was a bit younger I was different but now I just don't agree at all with the attitude I keep on seeing that it's somehow my patriotic duty as a Canadian to wish that all sunbelt American teams fail and move back up north where ice naturally forms in the winter.

Of course I want Canadian teams to succeed, and I would love to see Winnipeg and Quebec City given second chances due to their immense passion for hockey. But I also really enjoy seeing fans in regions where not too long ago nobody had even heard of hockey really embracing their team. Even if attendance in Carolina or Atlanta or other places drops off after their team misses the playoffs (it happens in Canada too...though not as bad), it still shows that some people do care about hockey, and more people get introduced to it. It's cool to hear about people in southern areas learning the game and starting their own leagues. As an average hockey-loving Canadian I'm happy to see 'our' game expand to new areas. Many more hockey fans eventually get created in these cities (it takes time) and eventually the team hits a critical mass of fans and it succeeds. In the (possibly very) long run, I think that's better for growing our game than just trying to keep it in the same 'safe' markets. It would be a shame to give up on Phoenix at this point. I can't imagine how I'd feel if my team bailed.

Good luck Phoenix.

Old
05-05-2009, 11:36 PM
TheBoss22

As a former Winnipegger that went through the whole "Save Our Jets" campaign which was extremely successful (except for the fact that the team moved anyways)....

I don't see a petition helping.

It's season tickets and most importantly sales of Skybox suites from corporations.

Sales from those packages will go a long way for a potential owner that wants to keep the team there.

Old
05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
As a former Winnipegger that went through the whole "Save Our Jets" campaign which was extremely successful (except for the fact that the team moved anyways)....

I don't see a petition helping.

It's season tickets and most importantly sales of Skybox suites from corporations.

Sales from those packages will go a long way for a potential owner that wants to keep the team there.
I think it's also important to note that Winnipeg had the support of the entire community - maybe even the entire province - in their campaign to keep the Jets in town.

Sadly, that sort of community support is impossible in a city like Phoenix. Heck, the East Side and West Side of the city act like the North and South in the Civil War for all of their sniping and baiting and attacks and counterattacks. Getting enough people together to make a petition count is a Herculean task and while well-intentioned is likely doomed to failure.

I signed anyway, though.

Old
05-05-2009, 11:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
Nashville Predator fan in support of keeping the Phoenix Coyotes in AZ ... just say no to Ballsack Balsillie!
agreed

Old
05-06-2009, 12:59 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
If you do not know what you are talking about, please take your uneducated opinions somewhere else until you have something of substance to add. There are plenty of people that have been following the situation very closely for some time with many different opinions from many different perspectives that have commented and continue to do so. All you three have done is add noise to an already noisy debate. This isn't a dinner party so you don't need to add your 2 cents just to act like you matter.

Old
05-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

I don't want the Coyotes to be taken from Phoenix for the same reasons I don't want the Flyers taken from Philly.

From one hockey fan to another, I'm signing every petition and flooding any mailbox that's asked of me.

Stay strong. I got to know a lot of 'yotes fans after the Upshall/Carcillo trade. Good fans, good people.

Old
05-06-2009, 01:34 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Balsillie isn't the one to blame here. I feel bad for all of you Yote fans and you should still try and do everything you can to keep it in place. If anything, you should be upset at the lack of support from Arizona sport fans. Balsillie isn't attacking the Yotes, he's just looking to take falling franchise and bringing them to a market with a high hockey demand. I hate to come here and "****" on your petition. I really do feel bad for any fans that have to watch their team leave but as a hockey fan, I have to admit I'm excited for the possibility of supporting a team with such young talent that's only 30 minutes from home.

Being a Hurricanes fan, I know it's possible to be a fan even when a country away. When I went to home game in Raleigh, I met a Flames fan who was an Atlanta Flames fan who never seen them play in Atlanta. He watched the team go but still followed them in Calgary. Almost 30 years later, he goes to his first NHL game in Raleigh for the Canes/Flames game. He was loud, cheered hard even when they lost 6-1. All I'm saying is that regardless of what happens in these next months, I hope you all will remain loyal Yote fans.

Old
05-06-2009, 02:11 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
I hate to come here and "****" on your petition.
Then don't.

All this was supposed to be was a way for PHX fans to feel like they are doing something, even if it won't really mean anything. Not to be criticized and told doom/gloom will happen or for others to tell them how happy they will be to have their team. There are already other places that that's happening.

Nashville fans had the same thing. Every time we tried to do something, anything, to make us feel like we were helping keep our team it was met with the same crap. I would say daily but it was more like hourly.

Screw them!

Call Bettman's office (they do listen and the guy I talked to was really nice and let me say everything I wanted for as long as I wanted. And they log all these calls, tell them you're a PHX fan/ticket holder). Send emails (they read them, but get sooo many that it does take a while to get the form response). I also called other teams to tell their PR person that we wanted their help/support and they all were very supportive and said they would get my message out (esp. Pittsburgh was very supportive), look through your PHX media guide for the teams and call their office. I did all of that. Lot's of people did and I don't know if it helped, but it may have. It just made me feel like at least I was doing something.

I know the situations are very different, but it can't hurt. Do whatever you can to keep your team!!

Old
05-06-2009, 02:14 AM
kivaerijo

signed, and will help anyother way i can.

it is a good start, dont let anyone tell you different. your gonna get a lot of jerks that will do nothing but upset you, but keep on supporting your team, and hopefully something will come along and help.

now starts the process of trying to think everyday of ways to promote hockey and the coyotes to everyone that you run into around there. it still happens for me to this day. i swear the preds should pay me sometimes.

good luck

pred fan that has gone through the pain, and is still worried everyday

little side note: used to live at glendale and 75th and loved watching the white outs at that horrible stadium (america west?) hope i can come out this next year to support your fans and catch a game at the new stadium

Old
05-06-2009, 02:17 AM
kivaerijo

spank is right. i used to have bettmans office on speed dial. and sent emails everyday as well.

just do what you can

Old
05-06-2009, 02:25 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggleson View Post
When I was a bit younger I was different but now I just don't agree at all with the attitude I keep on seeing that it's somehow my patriotic duty as a Canadian to wish that all sunbelt American teams fail and move back up north where ice naturally forms in the winter.

Of course I want Canadian teams to succeed, and I would love to see Winnipeg and Quebec City given second chances due to their immense passion for hockey. But I also really enjoy seeing fans in regions where not too long ago nobody had even heard of hockey really embracing their team. Even if attendance in Carolina or Atlanta or other places drops off after their team misses the playoffs (it happens in Canada too...though not as bad), it still shows that some people do care about hockey, and more people get introduced to it. It's cool to hear about people in southern areas learning the game and starting their own leagues. As an average hockey-loving Canadian I'm happy to see 'our' game expand to new areas. Many more hockey fans eventually get created in these cities (it takes time) and eventually the team hits a critical mass of fans and it succeeds. In the (possibly very) long run, I think that's better for growing our game than just trying to keep it in the same 'safe' markets. It would be a shame to give up on Phoenix at this point. I can't imagine how I'd feel if my team bailed.

Good luck Phoenix.
great post. so true on the growth of the sport, and it takes a while, but it is working, and worth continuing

Old
05-06-2009, 03:18 AM
60DegreesIsCold

Signed. Excellent start to a grassroots effort. I really appreciate all the fans from other teams coming to show their support and offer advice. It's a really cool thing to do.

Old
05-06-2009, 04:31 AM
The Cowboy Poet

I've counted about three Coyote fans in this entire thread (and one is from Canada)...

Old
05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

JB has an Online Petition too:

www.makeitseven.ca

It's all over the Canadian media.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:21 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
I've counted about three Coyote fans in this entire thread (and one is from Canada)...
That's funny, because I counted about 16 in a thread with about 45 posts. (Not counting duplicate posts.) And, yes, there are a few from Canada, but isn't that true of just about every team?

Old
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
That's funny, because I counted about 16 in a thread with about 45 posts. (Not counting duplicate posts.) And, yes, there are a few from Canada, but isn't that true of just about every team?
We're a small but enthusiastic group!

Old
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
And there are a lot of us that don't post every ten seconds...

Old
05-06-2009, 10:06 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
There are plenty of Coyote fans here on HF....maybe we are not all from Phoenix but we are here.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I grew up in Southern Ontario, so the prospect of getting a team there is very exciting for me. It's a shame that it might have to be at the expense of another franchise losing theirs though.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Look, I was always a casual hockey fan growing up in a small town in northern California, obviously without an ice rink, but since I've moved to Phoenix, my son fell in love w/Hockey watching it on TV, he now plays on a Mite Travel team that just won the State Championship and we have been Yotes season ticket holders for the past 3 years.

In addition, I'm now in a men's league and playing pick-up at stick time twice a week, (not bad for a guy who first laced up skates 2 yrs ago) the game is a fantastic game, and the game in Arizona is growing. The Phoenix Polar Bear Junior team has made it to the USA National Championship 8 straight seasons, and just won the Thorne Cup sweeping the best of 3 WSHL Championship series.

So let's do everything we can do to keep them here.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Watti

Petition signed.

-Kings fan

Closed Thread