HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please Sign the "Keep the Coyotes in Phoenix" Petition!

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 500
What you guys are calling a "nice chunk of change" and lining his wallet is a desperate attempt to get maybe $80 million of the $300 million he has put into the team back. He'll have still lost well over $200 million trying to make an NHL team work in Phoenix. You may not like how he's doing it and the fact that if he's successful the team will be leaving Arizona, but really, can anyone blame him?

EDIT: yes, just what zz said above. Although one thing, if the bankruptcy fails and the team is sold to Reinsdorf, as an unsecured creditor he'll still get his $10 or $15 mill if it's available. I don't think he's lost that.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:44 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Although one thing, if the bankruptcy fails and the team is sold to Reinsdorf, as an unsecured creditor he'll still get his $10 or $15 mill if it's available. I don't think he's lost that.
My point was we have no idea what was included in the NHL's original package. Since the team was not bankrupt yet, there was obligation to pay 100% of secured creditors with the estimated $130 M. It's possible at least half of that would have been pure equity and would have gone to Moyes' pockets, and that the new owner would have assumed some of the debt. But we'll never know.

But I can guarantee you that if JB retracts his offer because the NHL BoG rejects the move, at this point Bettman will make zero effort to cover any of Moyes' losses. Not after this stunt.

Old
05-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
signed good luck

Old
05-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Krylian

I'm all in favour of the Coyotes staying in Phoenix as long as revenue sharing ends.

You want hockey in Arizona? Earn it. Otherwise, I hope Ballsillie is able to make this happen and get the franchise back to a market that can support it without financial aid from franchises who's markets are interested in them being there.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
I'm all in favour of the Coyotes staying in Phoenix as long as revenue sharing ends.

You want hockey in Arizona? Earn it. Otherwise, I hope Ballsillie is able to make this happen and get the franchise back to a market that can support it without financial aid from franchises who's markets are interested in them being there.
Revenue sharing is not going to end no matter what happens with the Coyotes. Your post and avatar complement each other well though.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
icancook
Sharks Homer....

Sharks fan here....I cannot claim to know everything about the situation in Phoenix, but I blame Bettman for this. He should have been concentrating his efforts to helping a financially distressed franchise. I hope the Phoenix stays...besides a lot of good hockey fans on this forum. Petition signed.

Old
05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:

sooooooooooooooooooooooo laughable and nearsighted . The Raptors and Blue Jays both receive revenue sharing from their respected leagues. Why is it hockey has to be the only league were we can't share revinues to develope a healthy product?

Old
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
You want hockey in Arizona? Earn it.
You want another hockey team in the GTA? Earn it by building a brand new, state of the art arena, going through due process with the league, and PROVE with more than the gut feelings of Ontario residents and the press clippings and website of a billionaire hockey hobbyist that the team can co-exist in a market already served by the Maple Leafs and, to a lesser extent, Buffalo.

You Balsillie supporters are essentially saying, "Give us a team based on nothing more than our God-given right to have another NHL franchise." Where are the studies and numbers supporting a pitch for a franchise? Where is your facility? Where is your infrastructure? Isn't the "if you build it, they will come" mentality the EXACT mentality you have historically used to batter Bettman and friends for years?

Don't talk to me about earning ANYTHING. I've paid five figures every year since I became a fan of this team for season tickets. I attend every game. I patronize the souvenir stands and concessions. I even support Coyotes sponsors when some are clearly not the best in their field. I'm as entitled to have a local NHL team as you are.

Old
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
You want another hockey team in the GTA? Earn it by building a brand new, state of the art arena, going through due process with the league, and PROVE with more than the gut feelings of Ontario residents and the press clippings and website of a billionaire hockey hobbyist that the team can co-exist in a market already served by the Maple Leafs and, to a lesser extent, Buffalo.

You Balsillie supporters are essentially saying, "Give us a team based on nothing more than our God-given right to have another NHL franchise." Where are the studies and numbers supporting a pitch for a franchise? Where is your facility? Where is your infrastructure? Isn't the "if you build it, they will come" mentality the EXACT mentality you have historically used to batter Bettman and friends for years?

Don't talk to me about earning ANYTHING. I've paid five figures every year since I became a fan of this team for season tickets. I attend every game. I patronize the souvenir stands and concessions. I even support Coyotes sponsors when some are clearly not the best in their field. I'm as entitled to have a local NHL team as you are.
Amen brother!

Old
05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Krylian

Quote:

[]bDon't talk to me about earning ANYTHING. I've paid five figures every year since I became a fan of this team for season tickets. I attend every game. I patronize the souvenir stands and concessions. I even support Coyotes sponsors when some are clearly not the best in their field. I'm as entitled to have a local NHL team as you are[/b].
That's my point. There aren't enough people like you. You support your team...you go to games, watch them on TV, buy merchandise....actually CARE! They need way more like you in order for this to work.

Ask the people in Winnipeg how they felt about their franchise being ripped out of their city...they had a great nucleus of hardcore fans...but no big business.

Yes...I know revenue sharing exists in all sports...but my point is this....and correct me if I'm wrong, but Coyotes have lost about $73M over the past 3 seasons...the arena has lost $20M over the past 3 seasons...the revenues from ticket sales are among the lowest in the league...

Things just aren't working there from a strictly "business" standpoint. I love what the Coyotes are doing on the ice and how they're building the team (great young talent), but the dollars are just not coming in. There are not enough Hockey fans in Phoenix for this to be viable. Obviously everyone who is posting here is a huge Coyotes fan...you all actually care enough....but where are the rest of you?

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...yotes0507.html

Old
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
... I even support Coyotes sponsors when some are clearly not the best in their field....
did you consume a Verve Energy Drink`?

Old
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
There are not enough Hockey fans in Phoenix for this to be viable.
I submit that there aren't enough hockey fans right now because the team sucks. I think you have to be a Leafs fan to sell out an arena for a terrible team.

This market requires a team to have a shot at a championship before the locals outside of the die-hard fan core will care. It happened with the Suns in the early 90s and again when Steve Nash came on the scene. It happened with the Diamondbacks after they won the '01 World Series. It's happening right now with the Arizona Cardinals. Heck, it even happened with the Arizona Rattlers AFL team.

When the teams are in a swoon, those bandwagon fans stay away unless there is a marquee player to rally around. A bad Suns team with Shaq on it would still sell tickets (as evidenced by this season).

The Coyotes have had a perfect storm of problems - relocating to a new city in 2003, losing all their "known" players to bad trades or retirement, year after year of poor results, and an owner whose purse-strings were so tight that we couldn't afford to lure big-name players to the team. That is a formula for failure that has nothing to do with whether people in Arizona can appreciate or support ice hockey.

Old
05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
did you consume a Verve Energy Drink`?
Unfortunately, yes.

Old
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Zyl, you are truly a voice of reason sir. Keep up the good work.

Old
05-07-2009, 01:41 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes.
Don't drink the Verve.

Old
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Alistar

will sign even though I'm a fan of the Stars.

you should post this in the main boards, you'll get alot of heckling from the retards who think that every backwoods hick town in Canada should have a NHL team, but you'll get some more support too.

Old
05-07-2009, 01:50 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
will sign even though I'm a fan of the Stars.

you should post this in the main boards, you'll get alot of heckling from the retards who think that every backwoods hick town in Canada should have a NHL team, but you'll get some more support too.
No cross-posting, please. There are issues in the board rules regarding cross-posting that preclude us "spreading the word," so to speak.

Old
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
sooooooooooooooooooooooo laughable and nearsighted . The Raptors and Blue Jays both receive revenue sharing from their respected leagues. Why is it hockey has to be the only league were we can't share revinues to develope a healthy product?
Uh, what?

Old
05-08-2009, 09:18 PM
CaptLou

Preds fan here. You guys have a lot of people in Nashville rooting for you. What a lot of people in other areas dont understand is that it takes time to build a fan base in a non traditional market such as yours and ours but once it happens you have a whole generation of people buying tickets who were kids when the team got there and they are taking their kids who will one day also buy tickets.

We came into the league a year or two after you guys got the yotes in AZ and the kids who were 5 years old then are now 15-17 and they have grown up with hockey ingrained in their lives like people in traditional markets did but because they are still very young they are not able to afford hockey tickets. In a few years they will go off to college and once they graduate and get established in the world and become financially stable they will be your target season ticket holder audience and they will take their kids and that is what sustains your market long term. Now does that take a lot of time? Yes. But isnt that what the whole point of this foray into non traditional markets is all about? Developing new markets where hockey will thrive for years and decades to come?

Old
05-08-2009, 10:12 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLou View Post
Preds fan here. You guys have a lot of people in Nashville rooting for you. What a lot of people in other areas dont understand is that it takes time to build a fan base in a non traditional market such as yours and ours but once it happens you have a whole generation of people buying tickets who were kids when the team got there and they are taking their kids who will one day also buy tickets.

We came into the league a year or two after you guys got the yotes in AZ and the kids who were 5 years old then are now 15-17 and they have grown up with hockey ingrained in their lives like people in traditional markets did but because they are still very young they are not able to afford hockey tickets. In a few years they will go off to college and once they graduate and get established in the world and become financially stable they will be your target season ticket holder audience and they will take their kids and that is what sustains your market long term. Now does that take a lot of time? Yes. But isnt that what the whole point of this foray into non traditional markets is all about? Developing new markets where hockey will thrive for years and decades to come?

Thank you, and well said. People just expect us to be crazed about a team that really hasn't produced much winning on the ice. Winning generates excitement, and revenue. Some of these teams have been around longer than Arizona has been a state. There are plenty of hockey fans around here. Generate an exciting team, and we might get some of those snow birds excited about the team that is in Glendale. Dare I say, cheer them on

Old
05-08-2009, 11:14 PM
mdf29

Penguins fan here... just signed the petition. I'm really pulling for you guys. The Coyotes are fun to watch.

Old
05-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Schweiz

While I do not believe that Toronto (or Southern Ont.) should just take Phoenix, relocation of cash-strapped teams is standard procedure for the NHL. On the other hand, the NHL has proved that it is unwilling to expand to Canada in the near future, so it is only obvious that extreme measures will be taken by hockey-starved Canadians and those with cash to blow ... so I see fault on both sides.

Old
05-09-2009, 11:38 AM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweiz View Post
While I do not believe that Toronto (or Southern Ont.) should just take Phoenix, relocation of cash-strapped teams is standard procedure for the NHL. On the other hand, the NHL has proved that it is unwilling to expand to Canada in the near future, so it is only obvious that extreme measures will be taken by hockey-starved Canadians and those with cash to blow ... so I see fault on both sides.
"Hockey-starved Canadians"????

Ahem. No offense here, but let me just let out an incredulous BWAHAHAHAHAHhhhhhhhHUNNHHHH??? at you for that phrase.

You clearly don't know what starvation is. I, and my fellow Coyotes fans, certainly do. Canadians' "starvation" is like being hungry but having a cupboard full of food to eat - the only problem is that you're jonesing for a Twinkie instead of a bowl of mueslix. On the other hand, the prospect of the Coyotes leaving here is like having the last few noodle pieces of our last long-expired package of aged Top Ramen yanked out of our trembling fingers, swept into the garbage and taken away to the dump so that we can't rummage through the fetid banana peels to get at them later.

Canada can laugh at us and our market all it wants, but don't talk to US about being "underserved" or "hockey-starved." We Coyotes fans are the very definition of those phrases.

Old
05-10-2009, 02:49 PM
AzYotes18

www.savethecoyotes.com

I know there are discussions at length about whether the team stays or goes.
There is going to be a rally next Sat 5/16/09

here are the details if you are interested in going. Please show up if you are a Yotes fan and you want them to stay in Phoenix.

Location - West Gate City Center
Time: 10am
Date: Saturday May 16th - 2009

This is a a preliminary message. There are still some details to work out. We need as many people as possible. Ask favors, get Phoenix area Hockey fans down there. And PLEASE WEAR ALL WHITE as we will be bringing Glendale its first of MANY White Outs in support of OUR PHOENIX COYOTES!!! All white! I canít stress that enough, itíll be hot enough so you should want to wear white anyway

We expect media, so itís key to get as many people out there as possible. In the Thousands!

Old
05-10-2009, 03:12 PM
AZCOYOT

I wrote that info and made the graphic.. How did I neglect to post that here?? durrr

Thanks! It's been a crazy few days.

If you're in Arizona. Do anything you can to make it there! It will be at Westgate. Indoors but the exact location is TBD

Closed Thread