HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Bickley does Canada a big favor

Old
05-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Jakeman

vCash: 500
The coyotes aren't going anywhere for now, Bettman has already went out of his way to clear this issue. The sale of this team is on hold until the playoffs are concluded.
As for Bickley, he is just jumping on the bandwagon as most media personell like to do. He is just being anti-coyote like all of the other canadian reporters , trying to paint a picture of no support, fact is this team's attendence this past season ws much improved along with their home record.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
well, they do say that any publicity is good publicity, so maybe this will put the coyotes back into the eye of the average Phoenix citizen, who will in turn go see a game next season.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
He is just being anti-coyote like all of the other canadian reporters
Really? I do not see that at all in his article.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:58 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

and one of the last montreal expos fans around. the story of the Coyotes is starting to unfold like that of the expos.

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Normally I wouldn't dignify a Bickley article with a response, as I think he is a weasel and a GOD AWFUL talk show host. I don't have a negative opinion about the article in this case, though I think it is poorly written for a few reasons listed below.

Just a few notes:
"Meanwhile, the existing fan base would just go back to cheering for the Red Wings and Blackhawks."
When did they stop?

"Sports franchises that go under are rarely missed."
This is absolute fact in this town for every team except the suns. Which leads me to this next quote....

"Aside from the real big four - the Suns, Diamondbacks, Cardinals and Arizona State football - local teams here are mostly flavors of the month"

I can't really figure out what he is talking about here. The Cardinals are as much a flavor of the month as any. They got a new stadium, big whoop, and they had to FIGHT HARD for that stadium, if they were so beloved in the TOP FOUR PILLAR it would not have been so difficult. Had they continued to struggle as they did the first few years in Glendale, the attendance would have dropped off and it would have been back to SOSAC talk 24/7. Its the NFL though so they have no problem selling the product(Road teams anyone). But that doesn't change that if the Cardinals suck the next two years their popularity in this town would plummet.

I wouldn't call the Dbacks as much of a flavor of the month team as I think their base level of support is quite strong given the Baseball roots here in the Valley with the Cactus league. But they are about at their base level right now. There has been no excitement with the Diamondbacks in this town since 2002, outside of a 3 game sweep of the Cubbies and their Idiotic fans that rolled into town. They are in danger of Tuning into Oakland, for better or worse.

The Suns and ASU football are the only two that belong in this category as far as I'm concerned. If the Cards are good for a consistent 3 year run here then MAYBE they elevate. But Homerism isn't enough to convert the mass NFL fans in the valley without extensive streaks of winning. College sports are another animal entirely, so I wouldn't have even brought it up were I writing this article.

I agree though, I am not seeing Anti Coyote or even Anti NHL bias here. The statements it makes about the league are largely true as evidenced by TV ratings and TV contracts. The statements about the Coyotes financial troubles are not baseless either, and the might of the commissioner is not enough to shelter them forever.

Its put up or shut up time, and the Coyotes are choosing the latter. If things are not more clear come draft time, I'll be writing off the team as a resident of Arizona. If they surprise me, that's great, but I'm not counting on it. Unlike some of you, I will not follow this team if they leave, they would be entirely dead to me, as Bick mentioned in the article. Actually I think that was the best point made in the article looking back on it.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2009, 09:18 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Bickley's a hack even when he's talking about something he actually knows about.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2009, 01:33 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a tough article, but its very strong bitterness is symptomatic of someone who actually cares. I sounds to me that Binkley, while very frustrated, will actually miss the coyotes.

Quote:
It would be a shame if the Coyotes can't turn the corner, leaving many questions unanswered. They have never given the Valley the manic joy of an intense playoff run, the kind necessary to build real support.
How the hell can you argue with this statement? It really would be a shame.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:14 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Bickley is a good guy. He's been all over the Coyotes on his radio show and I think he is a positive rather than a negative force in the media. I've talked to him on the air several times and he has treated me with respect and intelligence. I didn't agree with everything in the article, but I think most of it was spot on.

Follow the Coyote soap opera on my new blog -- http://westernhockeyexchange.blogspot.com/

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Stronso

Send a message via AIM to Stronso
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
He's a good writer and it's just his opinion. It was bound to ruffle some feathers and he's certainly accomplished that, but I am not on the same side of the fence as he is.

Bickley is, and always will be, a 3rd rate hack

Stronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronso View Post
+1

Bickley knows dick about auto racing and dick about hockey.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:07 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
+1

Bickley knows dick about auto racing and dick about hockey.
Can you tell me what is wrong with the article that spawned this thread? I can't and I don't understand the negative reactions to it.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:32 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I've called into their radio show twice in the last week. I called the day the bankruptcy news broke because they were covering the story. The local media only covers 'stories' when it comes to hockey, they don't cover hockey. The only coverage we have received from any media the last 3 years was A) Tochett gambling & B) Coyotes file Bankruptcy. If the Coyotes beat the Red Wings, no one cares. If the Coyotes are in the playoff hunt no one cares. If the Coyotes were to make the playoffs, that would be a story & the local media would follow.

Anyways, the day the bankruptcy news broke I called in and pretty much grilled them for not covering any hockey and said the local media has some responsibility to market hockey in the valley. There response was that the media is not responsible (zero responsibility - my argument is they have at least a little responsibiliity to market the local hockey team, of course the fans & team have 90 percent of the responsibility, but the local media has to have some). They went on to say that they cannot give equal time to hockey as they do to basketball, football, baseball. I never asked for equal time, I asked for something, anything to let me know they care. they don't. They went on to say the people can call in to talk hockey, but they don't have to take those calls...yet they'll talk about their personal lives on the air 25 % of the time they are on the air. I mentioned the team was in 5th place in the conference at the all-star break. They just laughed at the notion they should cover the team because they are 5th in the conference. I guess that same notion doesn't apply to the other sports teams in the valley.

I called in today, told them I appreciated their opinion, and I questioned Bickley about his recent article where he said Gretzky's drafting was laughable. I mentioned their prospect pool is arguably top 5 in the league. He conceded they have done better the last 2 years, but said from 2002 to 2006 its a joke (more ignorance on his part), then he went on to mock the Blake Wheeler pick and how he's not playing for the Coyotes. Obviously more ignorance regarding the Wheeler situation and that the Coyotes did everything they could to sign him, but he gave them the finger and signed for less money elsewhere.

Of course Jurecki who has absolutely no clue about hockey, let alone football other than what he overhears in the lockerroom stalls, chimes in like beavis or butthead about the wheeler pick.

The only positive thing is that they actually mentioned the game 7 Ovechkin Crosby matchup (what a letdown), and then the next caller called & talked about hockey too.

It's apparent the local media will not care about hockey until the day the Coyotes clinch a playoff spot, and of course they'll act like they've supported them all along.

Until that time I encourage everyone who can to call in to those jokers at 602.260,9191 and let them know you want to hear about hockey and call them when they show their ignorance.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:58 AM
bbud

Ok as a Canadian fan and not anti Phoenix but terribly anti buttman and his control freak atitude to runnning the league lol.
Hockey in Canada is way more entrenched partly by way of weather [ kids grow up on backyard rinks in 2/3 of the country ] similar to other sports In most of USA which we dont come close at its just how things are .
I am sure there are whats this crap about by now bear with me , i am sure Phoenix and area has grown some fan base and even seen grasroots particiaption increase greatly but it takes time and money , your team ended up there because of Canadian dolar issues and now its being propped up by profits from 6 teams here so why was bettman not telling fans 6 months ago there were real issues and the need for fans to be in seats supporting this team that was crucial instead of [ its all ok and no worries speech a few months back ] no ugent message of how poor things were and that is bad management for sure and if the commisioner plays that way what do you expect media to say they will call a joke a joke and when the League looks like a joke you know where this goes so you need to start 2 things - put enough fans in the arena and make the game something tangible to people how do you make that happen in the Phoenix area i am not sure but has to connect and hold fans somehow.
The grasroots growth through people playing will make it way better and a need for better TV coverage and promotion in most US markets , i was all over the USA for a few years at times on business remeber being in San Jose and arguing with a bartender in a sports bar no less that the sharks were playing and it was on tv fast foreward 2 months later i am in Toronto in a sports bar 10 big screens 7 are different hockey games on and Leafs were not one of them 3 were NBA just the demographic difference in what people know like and want.
The NHL itself has done badly at growing your base it was all about who had money not how do we make long term successful teams Mr Bettman couldnt give a crap about that he expanded like hell and then did poor job keeping his original base in tact and spent more time bringing in the court club- MCnall , Samueli , Del Baggio and so forth why do you think theres been no long term plan of success?
I do feel bad for fans hockey is a great game played it now over 25 years still nothing better and i do support more teams in Canada they will thrive we live the game but i do not rejoice in seeing any city lose franchises but its time we as fans ask the boss why this happened and join firebettmen.com lol
It comes down to simple things more fans and a league that looks proffessional not bush league and media will treat both much better they live on advertising so its about what pays and thats all they look at
Good luck

Last edited by bbud: 05-14-2009 at 04:05 AM.
bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:28 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
Ok as a Canadian fan and not anti Phoenix but terribly anti buttman and his control freak atitude to runnning the league lol.
Hockey in Canada is way more entrenched partly by way of weather [ kids grow up on backyard rinks in 2/3 of the country ] similar to other sports In most of USA which we dont come close at its just how things are .
I am sure there are whats this crap about by now bear with me , i am sure Phoenix and area has grown some fan base and even seen grasroots particiaption increase greatly but it takes time and money , your team ended up there because of Canadian dolar issues and now its being propped up by profits from 6 teams here so why was bettman not telling fans 6 months ago there were real issues and the need for fans to be in seats supporting this team that was crucial instead of [ its all ok and no worries speech a few months back ] no ugent message of how poor things were and that is bad management for sure and if the commisioner plays that way what do you expect media to say they will call a joke a joke and when the League looks like a joke you know where this goes so you need to start 2 things - put enough fans in the arena and make the game something tangible to people how do you make that happen in the Phoenix area i am not sure but has to connect and hold fans somehow.
The grasroots growth through people playing will make it way better and a need for better TV coverage and promotion in most US markets , i was all over the USA for a few years at times on business remeber being in San Jose and arguing with a bartender in a sports bar no less that the sharks were playing and it was on tv fast foreward 2 months later i am in Toronto in a sports bar 10 big screens 7 are different hockey games on and Leafs were not one of them 3 were NBA just the demographic difference in what people know like and want.
The NHL itself has done badly at growing your base it was all about who had money not how do we make long term successful teams Mr Bettman couldnt give a crap about that he expanded like hell and then did poor job keeping his original base in tact and spent more time bringing in the court club- MCnall , Samueli , Del Baggio and so forth why do you think theres been no long term plan of success?
I do feel bad for fans hockey is a great game played it now over 25 years still nothing better and i do support more teams in Canada they will thrive we live the game but i do not rejoice in seeing any city lose franchises but its time we as fans ask the boss why this happened and join firebettmen.com lol
It comes down to simple things more fans and a league that looks proffessional not bush league and media will treat both much better they live on advertising so its about what pays and thats all they look at
Good luck
My Canadian friend please learn to use punctuation, for that is beyond painful to read.

EDIT: Being from Montreal I got to experience the fall of the Expos. You'd think that knowing you are going to lose a team would have spike attendance and possibly given one last hope for them. Well sadly it did not. Not only that, but we only had one other team to follow, which never conflicted with the Expos' schedule.

You guys have many other teams to follow, and yes it may not be your preferred sport, but if the last 12-13 years your franchise has yet to turn a profit it probably never will.

Here is to hoping I'm wrong!

Last edited by KimiFerrari: 05-15-2009 at 06:36 PM.
KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
Ok as a Canadian fan and not anti Phoenix but terribly anti buttman and his control freak atitude to runnning the league lol. [...] It comes down to simple things more fans and a league that looks proffessional not bush league and media will treat both much better they live on advertising so its about what pays and thats all they look at Good luck
I have no idea what you're writing about this is the most painful message to read grammar is so overrated lol anyway maybe you should slow down a little and edit yourself because I just feel like someone just puked a load of Arial on me ok bye

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:31 AM
kyle747

idea #1000 - couldn't the 'yotes play half their games in winterpeg ?

probably wouldn't work but at least the team could stay true to it's roots.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 05:18 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Bickey just had someone on from the Toronto Sun - What an ass is Dan Bickely he litteraly was mocking the team and laughing at us.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote