HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Burgers In Vancouver?

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 500
I tried the Kobe beef burger at Romers. It was good but didn't imprint itself on me as something I'll have to come back for.

Moderne Burger still tops my list. I like that the owner operated and they have their special patented machine that cooks the burgers perfectly. Everything about their product is fresh and unprocessed.

Max's Burgers on west 8th has been growing on me lately (no pun intended). Like a lot of restaurants there were some hiccups when they first opened but they continue to iron out the little kinks. You can tell they really want to do a good job. They also have a bunch of TVs that are tuned into sports channels so you could catch part of a game there while you enjoy your burger.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Wetcoaster

A friend of mine who first recommended Romer's Burger Bar to me when it had just opened has new recommendation that I have yet to try - Two Chefs and a Table - in Gastown and Richmond. He has yet to give me a bad recommendation and he is a burger expert.
http://www.twochefsandatable.com/index.html

The burger meat is a combination of Pemberton Meadows Ground Chuck and Sloping Hills Ground pork - top quality. He recommends the Cheddar Bacon Burger. He also says the Philly Cheese Steak is the best he has had in Vancouver.
http://www.twochefsandatable.com/restaurant/lunch.html

These are the same guys who run one of the best butcher shops (and sandwich counters) in Vancouver. Big Lou's Butcher Shop.
http://www.biglousbutchershop.com/

Vancouver Foodster.com ranking of the Top Ten Best Beef Burger & Fries in Vancouver from October 2011:
1) The Oakwood – FIRST PLACE
2) Stackhouse Burger Bar– SECOND PLACE
3) Romers Burger Bar – THIRD PLACE
4) Refuel – FOURTH PLACE
5) Au Petit Chavignol – FIFTH PLACE
6) The District –SIXTH PLACE
7) Market by Jean-Georges – SEVENTH PLACE
8) The Teahouse – EIGHTH PLACE
9) Beachside Forno – NINTH PLACE
10) Gerard Lounge — TENTH PLACE
http://vancouverfoodster.com/2011/10...-in-vancouver/

Vancouver's Best Burgers website - Top 5:
  1. Romer's Burger Bar
  2. Sunset Burgers
  3. Burgers Etc
  4. Hamilton Street Grill
  5. Save On Meats
http://www.vancouversbestburger.com/top5.php?

Georgia Straight 15th Annual Golden Plate Awards just came out:
People's Choice for Best Hamburger
1. Vera's Burger Shack
2. Fatburger
3. Romer's Burger Bar
http://www.straight.com/goldenplates/category/2012/77

Vancouver Magazine ratings from July 2011 - Vancouver's Best Burgers
1. Tomahawk Barbecue - one of my long-time favourites on the North Shore
2. Hamilton Street Grill
3. Stackhouse Burger Bar
4. White Spot Triple-O’s
And for something entirely different...
5. Guu Garden:
The marvelously messy Kobe rice burger stuffs a ground-wagyu golf ball between two lightly browned patties of pressed sticky rice. Topped with shredded cabbage, shiso leaf, pink ketchup-mixed mayo, chopped egg, and lots of dark, goopy tonkatsu sauce, it almost tastes like an upgraded Big Mac. Only $10, this awesome lunch special is served with battered green bean “fries,” miso soup, shrimp-avocado salad, and fish balls. 888 Nelson St., 604-899-0855. http://www.guu-izakaya.com/
http://www.vanmag.com/Restaurants/Va...s_Best_Burgers

Old
04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
KISSland

Thanks for the list Wet, heard of 2 chefs and a table from my friend that lives in Richmond will definitely check it out now.

I've been to big lous butcher shop it's real damn good.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Went to Romer's last night in Kits, had the Man's man burger, it was pretty good. But I thought Burgers etc.'s beef patty was better; especially if you ask for medium rare or medium done-ness. So far, Burgers etc. tops my list.

Going down Wet's list will take a while.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Went to Romer's last night in Kits, had the Man's man burger, it was pretty good. But I thought Burgers etc.'s beef patty was better; especially if you ask for medium rare or medium done-ness. So far, Burgers etc. tops my list.

Going down Wet's list will take a while.
It is a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:36 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I'm thinking about going to a burger place for my birthday. What's the best alternative in the ~$15-$20 range?

Old
04-09-2012, 06:20 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I'm thinking about going to a burger place for my birthday. What's the best alternative in the ~$15-$20 range?
Depends on how many people and the crowd you're with. Romer's good I went there for my bday dinner with couple of my classmates. Also went to Burgers Etc for my friends birthday that was good too.

Old
04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Romer's in Kits has a private room called "The Vault" I believe. It's in the basement and seats 10+. Definitely a good location for a b-day get together. The only negative is that the room is adjacent to the washrooms, but is separated by a wall.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Went to Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Woodinville, WA again last night, this time after trying several of Vancouver's highest ranked burgers. I have to say that Teddy's leaves everything we have in the dust, I've tried Romers, Burgers etc., Hamilton Street Grill, Save On Meats, Fatburger, Vera's, and this is a far and away better burger.

If you are a burger aficionado and in the area, I definitely recommend giving it a try. (35 min from Seattle Premium Outlets, and 30 min from downtown Seattle)

http://teddysbiggerburgers.com/

I had the Monster Double Combo with two 7 oz patties, and remember to ask for medium rare. Juiciest burger I have ever had.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I finally got to try a Vera's Burger last night. It was pretty satisfying (and far bigger than I expected).

Maybe I'll try to get to Save on Meats sometime this week.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Oh, Fatburger.

There's one coming in near my girlfriend's house. My workouts are trembling with fear.

Old
05-05-2012, 01:55 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Went to Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Woodinville, WA again last night, this time after trying several of Vancouver's highest ranked burgers. I have to say that Teddy's leaves everything we have in the dust, I've tried Romers, Burgers etc., Hamilton Street Grill, Save On Meats, Fatburger, Vera's, and this is a far and away better burger.

If you are a burger aficionado and in the area, I definitely recommend giving it a try. (35 min from Seattle Premium Outlets, and 30 min from downtown Seattle)

http://teddysbiggerburgers.com/

I had the Monster Double Combo with two 7 oz patties, and remember to ask for medium rare. Juiciest burger I have ever had.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check it out now.

I think the reason why the burgers from the states is cause they actually let you choose the way you want your burger cooked. Nothing worse then an overly cooked burger.

The best burger I've ever had was from Seattle at Red Mills Burger. Seriously check them out. Simply amazing. You don't even need to add anything to the burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I finally got to try a Vera's Burger last night. It was pretty satisfying (and far bigger than I expected).

Maybe I'll try to get to Save on Meats sometime this week.
Save on Meats isn't that great TBH. I'd go elsewhere.

Old
05-05-2012, 03:07 PM
BIG

The best burger in vancouver is the one you make yourself

Old
05-05-2012, 03:28 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Fatburger is way too over rated imo. I would love to see an In N Out burger joint in Vancouver.

Last edited by NucksOnly: 05-05-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old
05-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check it out now.

I think the reason why the burgers from the states is cause they actually let you choose the way you want your burger cooked. Nothing worse then an overly cooked burger.

The best burger I've ever had was from Seattle at Red Mills Burger. Seriously check them out. Simply amazing. You don't even need to add anything to the burger.

Save on Meats isn't that great TBH. I'd go elsewhere.
Red Mills is my next destination then, I have heard lots of great things about them.

I agree, a lot of burger joints in Vancouver don't let you choose the doneness. That's why my local favourite is Burgers Etc.

I also agree that the Save on Meats Burger is not great, its good value for the money but definitely not top 10 in vancouver.

Old
05-06-2012, 02:46 AM
ionicbluebird

There's a place called Raglans on lower lonsdale near the quay in North Van. The burger to get there is called the Republican; big beef patty, fried onion strings, bacon, I think gouda, and the fixin's,... just soooooo delicious... and huge.

Also a shout out to their poutine... good stuff.

Old
05-06-2012, 03:12 AM
JetsAlternate

Which burger would you guys recommend at Vera's?

Old
05-06-2012, 03:28 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Which burger would you guys recommend at Vera's?
Depends what you like..

BBQ: BBQ Burger, Big Chick

HotDog + Beef: Frank Burger

Double Patty: The Vic(I prefer sauteed onions over sauteed mushrooms on my burger.)

I once had double bbq burger with sauteed onions, jalapeno poppers, hot dog, bacon, and an egg.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:08 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Red Mills is my next destination then, I have heard lots of great things about them.

I agree, a lot of burger joints in Vancouver don't let you choose the doneness. That's why my local favourite is Burgers Etc.

I also agree that the Save on Meats Burger is not great, its good value for the money but definitely not top 10 in vancouver.
Canadian restaurants don't let you choose the doneness of your burger because of Canada Health regulations. How anyone can eat beef in the States is beyond me. They still haven't beefed up their standards since BSE (aka mad cow) hit in NA and they were the culprits of it.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
TheSportsBoys604

Vera's is hit and miss but if i had to rank my favorites it would be:
1. Refuel (I heard they closed though but if anyone knows details on where the chef's gone let me know, 'cause Refuel's kobe burger is the greatest burger I have ever had, it's so good that just the patty on the bun is better than any other burger i've ever had, with burger joints you can't really decide one over the other unless you know what you want, unless they have a kinda trick up their sleeve, kinda like having a 40 goal season in the NHL so these will definitely be close)

2. A) Five Guys (It's in north van and if you order the works on a beef burger I promise you will not be disappointed plus if you like peanuts they give you all the peanuts you want while you're waiting, and that being said don't go if you're allergic to peanuts)

2. B) Red Onion (Sooooo good i would probably put it right beside five guys, but it is lower because Five Guys is available in more places but just on the burger I would give them a tie)

3. A) Vera's (once again it's almost as good as Red Onion and Five Guys but I chose Red Onion and Five Guys over it when I've been to all three of them multiple times, but then again, if you go to Vera's at different places it's all hit and miss, and some are absolutely amazing and some are no better than a 1/3 pounder at mcdonalds)

3. B) Romer's (another burger joint that coulld easily be switched with the one above it, Romer's has very tender burgers and every burger on the menu, the same as every other joint on here, is great, not to mention the bacon cheeseburger is a beauty in burger form

Old
05-07-2012, 01:53 PM
gibber1600

Earls bigger, better, cheedar burger!!!!!!

Old
05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

I'm not going to start a best mexican restaurant thread so I have to slightly derail this one and ask about a place I walked by Saturday in Gastown... Chronic Taco? Worth trying?

Old
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I'm not going to start a best mexican restaurant thread so I have to slightly derail this one and ask about a place I walked by Saturday in Gastown... Chronic Taco? Worth trying?
Been a couple times, nothing special but still pretty good.

Been wanting to try mucho burrito, I hear the burritos are massively bigger than ones from red burrito on commercial and taco mar.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Thinking of continuing the wetcoaster poutine thread. That stuff is like crack for me.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Damienflloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Canadian restaurants don't let you choose the doneness of your burger because of Canada Health regulations. How anyone can eat beef in the States is beyond me. They still haven't beefed up their standards since BSE (aka mad cow) hit in NA and they were the culprits of it.
How I've made it 22 years eating beef in the states without dying of mad cow disease is a Christmas miracle!

Closed Thread