HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Burgers In Vancouver?

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2012, 03:03 AM
KISSland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Agreed, burgers and fries are better in the States, but when you can find a poutine, they can't make it at all.

Also, this is off topic but I don't like Red Lobster, there I said it. Their food tastes like cheap seafood fried by an amateur with little or no taste. I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about them.
All you can eat.

Agree on burgers and poutines.

Old
08-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Derp Kassian

Side note: what's the best poutine place in Van/surrounding areas? I've ate it in MTL but in BC have only had it at KFC(pretty decent) but not authentic.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Rocko604
Fire SweeNeely

Had the G-Money at Vera's on Friday. Never a disappointment.

Has anyone been to that American Cheesesteak Factory the Moj keeps yammering about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Side note: what's the best poutine place in Van/surrounding areas? I've ate it in MTL but in BC have only had it at KFC(pretty decent) but not authentic.
Try Mean Poutine. Never been there myself, a friend said it was good. Decent reviews. On Nelson at Granville.

Old
08-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Belgian Fries on Commercial Dr used to be good when I lived in Vancouver (2 years ago), not sure if it still is. Worth a try, probably. I believe it got some awards for the most authentic poutine in the past. Then again, it was always hit and miss — a few times I went and it was great, other times it was a total mess. On good days it compared well to what I had when I lived in Montreal.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
CallMeJerry

Rule #1 of the Hamburger Thread: You do not derail the Hamburger Thread.

Rule #2: You DO NOT derail the Hamburger Thread.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:26 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
For some reason all the good Burger chains in USA like Five Guys, Fatburger etc. suck in Canada. Or are at least worse.
Shouldn't be too surprising. Canada has more strict laws about the crap you can put in food you sell to people.

Also, I made the best burger I've ever had last Friday. It was unbelievable, there are some good pics.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Shouldn't be too surprising. Canada has more strict laws about the crap you can put in food you sell to people.

Also, I made the best burger I've ever had last Friday. It was unbelievable, there are some good pics.
Burger or gtfo.

They also have access to select cuts than we do. Not to mention they probably stuff their food with tons of fat.

For poutines I like Belgian fries. Mean poutine is good for the price but the quality is okay. I just like that i can have fried chicken and other things in my poutine.

Old
08-26-2012, 01:43 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Belgian Fries on Commercial Dr used to be good when I lived in Vancouver (2 years ago), not sure if it still is. Worth a try, probably. I believe it got some awards for the most authentic poutine in the past. Then again, it was always hit and miss — a few times I went and it was great, other times it was a total mess. On good days it compared well to what I had when I lived in Montreal.
I agree its hit and miss.

Just don't ever add bacon to your poutine. It's just way too salty and you feel like complete **** after.

Old
08-26-2012, 02:37 PM
buddahsmoka1

Meh, you are gonna feel like **** after eating poutine anyways.

This is why I reserve eating poutine for when I am drunk and walking home from a club/bar/friends house; because I know I am doomed anyways and it tastes like gods vagina when drunk.

Old
08-26-2012, 03:29 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Y'all will hate me for saying this, but I think Red Robin has steadily improved their burgers' quality over the last couple of years. The first few times I went there I'd just go to eat with my high school buddies but I'm starting to like the food enough to go there for the taste.

Old
08-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Treefingers
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I like the poutine at Fritz on Davie.

Old
08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Has anyone been to that American Cheesesteak Factory the Moj keeps yammering about?
Yes. It's really generic, that's probably the kindest thing one can say about it.

Old
08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Agreed, burgers and fries are better in the States...
IMO it's the exact opposite - I find American versions bland, tasteless grease bombs "of unusual size". Their shakes are generally much sweeter than ours, and carry heavy heavy artificial flavor, but the real taste is virtually non-existent.

That said, au chacun a son gout...!

Old
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
buddahsmoka1

Frozen fries virtually all come from the same place in both Canada and the US. The only thing that can change their taste is what they are fried in or variations in how they are salted.

Old
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
MISC*
Negged.

The pulled pork sandwich at St.Augustines on Commercial Drive may be one of the best sandwiches in he lower mainland.

It is absolutely incredible. The most juicy sandwich I have ever had.

Old
08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Y'all will hate me for saying this, but I think Red Robin has steadily improved their burgers' quality over the last couple of years. The first few times I went there I'd just go to eat with my high school buddies but I'm starting to like the food enough to go there for the taste.
Its my last resort. My used to friend work there. It's all frozen and microwaved. You can do better Vinny.

Old
08-26-2012, 06:27 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
IMO it's the exact opposite - I find American versions bland, tasteless grease bombs "of unusual size". Their shakes are generally much sweeter than ours, and carry heavy heavy artificial flavor, but the real taste is virtually non-existent.

That said, au chacun a son gout...!

Old
08-26-2012, 06:57 PM
JetsAlternate

Reviewers online have claimed Brado Pizza on Commercial Drive to have one of the best poutines in the city. I haven't tried it myself, but I'd be interested to see what some of you think of it. It's located at the corner of Commercial and Kitchener, a few blocks past East 1st Avenue.

Reviews on UrbanSpoon, Yelp, and DineHere generally give the poutine here a very favorable review.

Here's an image courtesy of parkerpages.wordpress.com:

They also have a poutine pizza, which has garnered only mixed reviews. I don't think I'd recommend trying that, as the wait is apparently very, very long, but give the poutine a try and share your opinion of it.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 08-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old
08-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Golden Boy
The Spy in Beantown

Where are the best burgers in North Van?

Old
08-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Frozen fries virtually all come from the same place in both Canada and the US. The only thing that can change their taste is what they are fried in or variations in how they are salted.
"Only" IMO isn't a good word there - choice of oil, frying style (single, double, triple, high temp, low temp, etc) and salting method have huge impact on both taste and texture.

Old
08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
so untried five guys again. And I left with the same disappointment I had the first time around. It's really nothing special. I guess for fast food it is good, but I can make it 10 times better at home.
never had it in canada, but have had it in five different cities in the US (two east coast, two midwest, and miami). very hit and miss. when it hits, it's better than in and out (which, by the way, i find massively overrated). when it misses, it's almost as bad as white castle.

i guess this is to be expected with a quickly expanding chain, but it seems to depend on the location and how long they've been open. the two times i went to a location that was brand new, it was unbelievably bad. generally, the older the location is, the better your burger will probably be (and the fries-- when it's right, those are the best fries in fast food).

Old
08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
"Only" IMO isn't a good word there - choice of oil, frying style (single, double, triple, high temp, low temp, etc) and salting method have huge impact on both taste and texture.
Fair enough, cooking method has an impact as well.

But my point was that whether fries are made above or below the 49th parallel, it shouldn't change considering the fries all come from the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Reviewers online have claimed Brado Pizza on Commercial Drive to have one of the best poutines in the city. I haven't tried it myself, but I'd be interested to see what some of you think of it. It's located at the corner of Commercial and Kitchener, a few blocks past East 1st Avenue.

Reviews on UrbanSpoon, Yelp, and DineHere generally give the poutine here a very favorable review.

Here's an image courtesy of parkerpages.wordpress.com:

They also have a poutine pizza, which has garnered only mixed reviews. I don't think I'd recommend trying that, as the wait is apparently very, very long, but give the poutine a try and share your opinion of it.
The cheese curds actually look pretty good there, surprisingly fresh (the better they maintain their shape, the fresher and higher quality they are - if you ever have a poutine where the cheese is all stringy and melted, you are eating crap). Gravy looks too thick though, if I had to guess, its probably too sweet.

That is just looking at it though.

Old
08-26-2012, 09:53 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Burger or gtfo.

They also have access to select cuts than we do. Not to mention they probably stuff their food with tons of fat.

For poutines I like Belgian fries. Mean poutine is good for the price but the quality is okay. I just like that i can have fried chicken and other things in my poutine.

Let me whet your appetite. I will start by saying I have steadily grown tired of useless binding agents (bread crumbs, eggs, flour, oatmeal) that, while help hold your burger together, take away from the flavour and juiciness. I now only use a couple spices (3 to be exact) spread sparsely throughout the in the meat. Slow cooked then seared leaves me with a perfect, tasty, well bounded burger that remains thick and juicy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Red Robin has always been a decent burger. But it's not really changed from then decent to now decent.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Let me whet your appetite. I will start by saying I have steadily grown tired of useless binding agents (bread crumbs, eggs, flour, oatmeal) that, while help hold your burger together, take away from the flavour and juiciness. I now only use a couple spices (3 to be exact) spread sparsely throughout the in the meat. Slow cooked then seared leaves me with a perfect, tasty, well bounded burger that remains thick and juicy.

Red Robin has always been a decent burger. But it's not really changed from then decent to now decent.
That looks da*n good, mind sharing your 3 spices with another burger aficionado or is it a secret recipe?

From my experience, the best binding agent is fat, leaner meats have trouble binding but meats with higher fat content binds pretty well. I too have used breadcrumbs (italian, panko, regular), eggs, flour, etc. and NOTHING binds quite like a fatty cut. But of course, it's not exactly the most healthy burger so I eat sparingly.

Old
08-26-2012, 10:45 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
That looks da*n good, mind sharing your 3 spices with another burger aficionado or is it a secret recipe?

From my experience, the best binding agent is fat, leaner meats have trouble binding but meats with higher fat content binds pretty well. I too have used breadcrumbs (italian, panko, regular), eggs, flour, etc. and NOTHING binds quite like a fatty cut. But of course, it's not exactly the most healthy burger so I eat sparingly.
You are totally correct about the fatty cuts. Chuck ftw.

I use 1/4 teaspoon of each of onion powder, garlic powder and fresh ground pepper per pound of meat. I add salt just before searing the burger

Closed Thread