HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Best Burgers In Vancouver?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2012, 10:49 PM
  #851
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,467
vCash: 500
I recently moved to the east side of Vancouver, gonna try the eats on commercial drive and near kingsway

EpochLink is offline  
Old
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
  #852
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Yeah, if you want to make a good burger use decent meat and no filler. Coarsely ground chuck is great or you can even grind your own meat for total control. I like chuck with some sirloin and/or brisket mixed in, but straight chuck still makes a great burger.

opendoor is offline  
Old
08-26-2012, 11:10 PM
  #853
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Potato
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,973
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethesis View Post
Where are the best burgers in North Van?
Ehh, not a lot of options (from what I've seen).
I think Vera's Burger Shack might be best.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
08-26-2012, 11:21 PM
  #854
Golden Boy
The Spy in Beantown
 
Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Currently Undercover
Posts: 523
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Ehh, not a lot of options (from what I've seen).
I think Vera's Burger Shack might be best.
that makes me a sad panda

Golden Boy is offline  
Old
08-26-2012, 11:33 PM
  #855
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
You are totally correct about the fatty cuts. Chuck ftw.

I use 1/4 teaspoon of each of onion powder, garlic powder and fresh ground pepper per pound of meat. I add salt just before searing the burger
I was going to say this.

Everyone uses onion, garlic powder and s&p. Universal spices for burger patties.

Fatty cuts are the best.

I like to mix short rib with chuck. Get on my level.

KISSland is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 12:08 AM
  #856
KillerWhale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Tried Burger Etc and was underwhelmed with the burger, it was bland and dry. The pulled pork cheese fries were good, but only for the pork and cheese, the fries on there own tasted like frozen McCain Superfries.

KillerWhale is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 12:12 AM
  #857
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I was going to say this.

Everyone uses onion, garlic powder and s&p. Universal spices for burger patties.

Fatty cuts are the best.

I like to mix short rib with chuck. Get on my level.
Common mistake though is to put the salt right into the meat. It makes it taste more dry.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 01:09 AM
  #858
Crossbar Ping
Registered User
 
Crossbar Ping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
The organic burger at Vera's is really nice, althought sloppy but isn't that to be somewhat desired?

Otherwise a few fancy restaurants can have some pretty cool burgers available.

Crossbar Ping is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 01:11 AM
  #859
Crossbar Ping
Registered User
 
Crossbar Ping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Also - the burgers and meatballs made at Greens Market on W. Broadway and Arbutus are extremely good, just bbq them at home. Or oven for balls

Crossbar Ping is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 01:40 AM
  #860
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
The organic burger at Vera's is really nice, althought sloppy but isn't that to be somewhat desired?

Otherwise a few fancy restaurants can have some pretty cool burgers available.
Agree'd in Las Vegas (Paris) I went to this French restaurant and had a burger with Brie melted on top. It was pretty good.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 01:52 AM
  #861
Callhee
Embrace the hate.
 
Callhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Agree'd in Las Vegas (Paris) I went to this French restaurant and had a burger with Brie melted on top. It was pretty good.
The burger at Feenie's is pretty good but hella expensive. Although can't vouch for the quality any more, haven't been back ever since Feenie left.

Callhee is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 02:31 AM
  #862
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Common mistake though is to put the salt right into the meat. It makes it taste more dry.
You put the salt on the outside of the burger to bring out the flavor in the meat. I didn't know the reason not to put it in the inside was because it made it dry, I just knew it tasted better on the outside.

KISSland is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 02:43 AM
  #863
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
You put the salt on the outside of the burger to bring out the flavor in the meat. I didn't know the reason not to put it in the inside was because it made it dry, I just knew it tasted better on the outside.
It wont actually make it dry (unless you cook it too long) but a salty patty (in my experience) makes for a dry tasting patty.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
08-27-2012, 10:32 PM
  #864
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
Tried Burger Etc and was underwhelmed with the burger, it was bland and dry. The pulled pork cheese fries were good, but only for the pork and cheese, the fries on there own tasted like frozen McCain Superfries.
You probably ate it wrong.

kmad is online now  
Old
08-27-2012, 11:08 PM
  #865
KillerWhale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
You probably ate it wrong.
The burgers are served medium well unless requested otherwise, thought about getting it medium or medium rare, is that what you're talking about? Because I'd have to currently put that place below Burger Heaven, Five Guys, Vera's and even Fatburger..

KillerWhale is offline  
Old
08-28-2012, 12:09 AM
  #866
Callhee
Embrace the hate.
 
Callhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerWhale View Post
The burgers are served medium well unless requested otherwise, thought about getting it medium or medium rare, is that what you're talking about? Because I'd have to currently put that place below Burger Heaven, Five Guys, Vera's and even Fatburger..
Yeah, definitely ask for medium rare. The patty is quite tender and juicy, and could sometimes use a bit more salt (I just sprinkle some on after.)

Personally, I've tried quite a few of the 'best' burger joints in Vancouver, and Burgers etc. is definitely in the top 3. But taste is subjective, so my opinion means next to nothing.

Callhee is offline  
Old
08-28-2012, 02:01 AM
  #867
KillerWhale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Westminster
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Yeah, definitely ask for medium rare. The patty is quite tender and juicy, and could sometimes use a bit more salt (I just sprinkle some on after.)

Personally, I've tried quite a few of the 'best' burger joints in Vancouver, and Burgers etc. is definitely in the top 3. But taste is subjective, so my opinion means next to nothing.
Yeah lesson learned I think, burgers gonna have to be mediuim rare wherever offered from here on out.

KillerWhale is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 12:15 AM
  #868
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
I recently moved to the east side of Vancouver, gonna try the eats on commercial drive and near kingsway
Had a burger tonight at Portland Craft on Main, it was excellent. I live just off the Drive, haven't found a great burger here. I like Veras, but holy crap are they salty.

-


To the North Van crowd, Tomahawk Grill.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 01:19 AM
  #869
rypper
Registered User
 
rypper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,740
vCash: 500
I'm guessing the Tomahawk grill is the same place I'm thinking of, that has the totem poles outside and the inside is decorated with a bunch of old memorabilla? The burgers have names like chief skookum or whatever?

I used to go there all the time as a kid, GREAT burgers.

rypper is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 01:23 AM
  #870
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 695
wasn't impressed with five guys. don't think ive had a burger i enjoyed less in a long time

Verviticus is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 05:55 PM
  #871
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
wasn't impressed with five guys. don't think ive had a burger i enjoyed less in a long time
I'd say it was rather average.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
  #872
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I'd say it was rather average.
it was a pretty average burger that was also greasy and messy, making it difficult to eat

don't get me wrong, greasy messy burgers are great - when they're actually good burgers. this was just like rubbing it in my face "im not that good and you're still going to have a hard time eating me"

**** you, burger

Verviticus is offline  
Old
08-31-2012, 10:43 PM
  #873
Callhee
Embrace the hate.
 
Callhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
it was a pretty average burger that was also greasy and messy, making it difficult to eat

don't get me wrong, greasy messy burgers are great - when they're actually good burgers. this was just like rubbing it in my face "im not that good and you're still going to have a hard time eating me"

**** you, burger
I know your pain, the messiest burger I've had is the Bon's burger, the patty just absolutely falls apart, the cheese melts all over your hand. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't worth the effort.

Callhee is offline  
Old
09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
  #874
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 23,426
vCash: 990
Had a White Spot Smokey BBQ Burger and it was really good.

Also, they are opening a Carl Jr's in Chilliwack. Looks like it could be open soon. Are they any good?

canucksfan is offline  
Old
09-01-2012, 08:33 PM
  #875
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 500
anyone had the burger at hawksworth?

went there for a super-fancy dinner and was very pleased. way better than lumiere ever was. wondering if the burger is better than feeny's or market's.

vadim sharifijanov is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.