HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Best Burgers In Vancouver?

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Ask for medium rare? In BC? I'm pretty sure serving medium rare burgers isn't allowed in BC (sadly).

Old
09-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Sinochick

vCash: 500
Saw a cop car parked in front of Fat Burger today. Don't know why but it made me LOL!

Old
09-02-2012, 01:22 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinochick View Post
Saw a cop car parked in front of Fat Burger today. Don't know why but it made me LOL!
Don't spit in that cop's burger.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Do you guys have an official OT Thread? I've been looking for one for the last little while and I couldn't find one so I found the most OT thread I could find

I've been hiding out from you guys for over a year now Being a Rangers fan living in Vancity is shady business

I might be dropping by more often during the off season and when seasons back in if I'm welcomed

Now burgers, too bad daniel's restaurant and bistro tanked, old news but still sad Vancouver could use a bit of culinary uplifting. Everyone has listed everything already but the burger at The Market is super yummy and clean.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:50 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Do you guys have an official OT Thread? I've been looking for one for the last little while and I couldn't find one so I found the most OT thread I could find

I've been hiding out from you guys for over a year now Being a Rangers fan living in Vancity is shady business

I might be dropping by more often during the off season and when seasons back in if I'm welcomed

Now burgers, too bad daniel's restaurant and bistro tanked, old news but still sad Vancouver could use a bit of culinary uplifting. Everyone has listed everything already but the burger at The Market is super yummy and clean.
I think you're looking for the stickied non-ski resort OT thread.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:27 AM
rypper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Had a White Spot Smokey BBQ Burger and it was really good.

Also, they are opening a Carl Jr's in Chilliwack. Looks like it could be open soon. Are they any good?
I've never tried it, but I checked out their website and it looks promising.

Old
09-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
I'm guessing the Tomahawk grill is the same place I'm thinking of, that has the totem poles outside and the inside is decorated with a bunch of old memorabilla? The burgers have names like chief skookum or whatever?

I used to go there all the time as a kid, GREAT burgers.
That's the one. Love that place - their Klondike Breakfast is amazing as well.

Old
09-02-2012, 11:54 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
The Prime Rib burger at Jimmy's Lunch at the PNE is amazingly good.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:57 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The Prime Rib burger at Jimmy's Lunch at the PNE is amazingly good.
It's prime rib meat.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:00 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
It's prime rib meat.
Whatever it is, it's good.

09-02-2012, 04:04 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
anyone had the burger at hawksworth?

went there for a super-fancy dinner and was very pleased. way better than lumiere ever was. wondering if the burger is better than feeny's or market's.
partly to bump my own question, partly to add to the conversation re: fancy, super-expensive burgers.

some months ago, we discussed the burgers at market and the old feeny burger.

i can't seem to find a professional reviewer that tried the burger. a user review:

Quote:
Ordered the Hawksworth burger and the crab Benedict. The burger itself was very juicy and moist and the presentation was incredible. However, it came with a strong barbecue sauce that dulled the other flavors.
chowhound review:

Quote:
One of the best burgers in town is hiding under an overly sweet BBQ sauce. Here is a tip: Ask for the burger served plain (and definitely without the cloyingly BBQ sauce) and medium-rare.
a blog review:

Quote:
The flavour of the burger was better than good, but not great, coming predominantly from the bbq sauce and oven roasted tomatoes. I also expected a much juicier burger especially from one cooked medium rare. The bun fell apart, which usually happens in my humble experience when it's not fresh. Dare I say that Hawksorth served a burger on a day old bun?
sounds disappointing. especially given that i really liked hawksworth; i only had dinner there and it was pricey as all hell but it was also easily better than market or lumiere (feeny or DB versions). better than west, i dare say. i was really looking forward to someday eating beans for a week and having $18 in my pocket for a splurge lunch.

anyone try the burger? overly marinated burgers, particularly anything that resembles barbecue sauce, is a huge pet peeve of mine. on the other hand, i love the texture when people do a burger with an onion ring in it.

Old
09-02-2012, 05:19 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Ask for medium rare? In BC? I'm pretty sure serving medium rare burgers isn't allowed in BC (sadly).
It is legal because I know of quite a few restaurants that will do it and I assume they would quickly be **** down if it was illegal. Burger Etc in Burnaby does it, of course their meat is ground steak chuck (possibly ground in store that day to not allow bacteria to grow) so it's a bit different than regular ground meat at the super market.

Last edited by AlexandreBurrows: 09-02-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old
09-03-2012, 11:01 PM
vancity787

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
That's all they talk about. Apparently they said it's "Best Burger in North America" good. I really want to try one of these boys.
Went to one in LA Because I heard it was the Bees knees. Lineup was literally out the door and around the retaurant.

Said F this,Hit up a Carls Jr. across the street. No line.

Worst burger I've ever had.

Should have waited in the line-up.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:02 AM
DJOpus

Went to Sunset Burgers DT recently, it was solid.

Speaking of fancy burgers, tried the burger with foie gras at Diva at the Met (comped meal, would never pay that much for a burger) unfortunately it was not actually as good as I would have hoped. Good burger but not the best I've ever had, regardless of price.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
It is legal because I know of quite a few restaurants that will do it and I assume they would quickly be **** down if it was illegal. Burger Etc in Burnaby does it, of course their meat is ground steak chuck (possibly ground in store that day to not allow bacteria to grow) so it's a bit different than regular ground meat at the super market.
Absolutely right, burgers/ground can be served medium rare or even completely rare (steak tartare) as long as the meat is freshly ground.

Not exactly sure how loose the term 'fresh' is though, could be 5 minutes up to a few hours/operating day? Any food inspectors here to clarify?

Basically, the difference is that the meat is ground up and served to you before harmful bacteria has a chance to grow in the many nooks and crannies of ground beef.

Old
09-04-2012, 01:27 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Absolutely right, burgers/ground can be served medium rare or even completely rare (steak tartare) as long as the meat is freshly ground.

Not exactly sure how loose the term 'fresh' is though, could be 5 minutes up to a few hours/operating day? Any food inspectors here to clarify?

Basically, the difference is that the meat is ground up and served to you before harmful bacteria has a chance to grow in the many nooks and crannies of ground beef.
Yeah those bacteria grow exponentially so you gotta get it on the grill pretty soon after it's out of the fridge.

When I first started making fresh ground beef burgers I was pretty excited to have a medium rare or rare burger but in my experience I've found that having it cooked through doesn't have any loss in flavour if you've cooked it well.

Old
09-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Yeah those bacteria grow exponentially so you gotta get it on the grill pretty soon after it's out of the fridge.

When I first started making fresh ground beef burgers I was pretty excited to have a medium rare or rare burger but in my experience I've found that having it cooked through doesn't have any loss in flavour if you've cooked it well.
I don't think its the flavour that drastically changes, it's the tenderness and juiciness that changes with doneness.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:04 PM
NucksOnly
Go Whitecaps & Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post

It better be "Fresh"... I had E.coli a few years back, let me tell you it was not fun. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy as far as I'm concerned.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
KISSland

Made some spare ribs on Sunday.

Had leftovers so made spare rib burgers. So good.

Old
09-04-2012, 07:46 PM
JetsAlternate

Returning to the poutine discussion for a minute...

Don't use this as a tutorial video:

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 09-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old
09-08-2012, 01:58 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Went to Carl Jr's in Chilliwack as it is opened now. Didn't have high expectations. I had the Western Burger. A decent burger. The fries were not the greatest either. If I go back I would definitely try something different.

Old
09-08-2012, 04:38 PM
KISSland

I just drove all the way to Langley with my friends for some In N Out burgers and they had 1500 tickets for sale and they were all gone by the time I got there.

I was so close.

Old
09-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Went to Romer's on Kerr yesterday and had a Classic Kobe burger.

It was one of the best burgers I've had in a long time.

Old
09-08-2012, 05:00 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
never had it in canada, but have had it in five different cities in the US (two east coast, two midwest, and miami). very hit and miss. when it hits, it's better than in and out (which, by the way, i find massively overrated). when it misses, it's almost as bad as white castle.

i guess this is to be expected with a quickly expanding chain, but it seems to depend on the location and how long they've been open. the two times i went to a location that was brand new, it was unbelievably bad. generally, the older the location is, the better your burger will probably be (and the fries-- when it's right, those are the best fries in fast food).
The two Five Guys in Winnipeg are absolutely amazing. One's actually close to my house. Had them down in the states and it's better in Winnipeg then the one I've been to in the states. Oddly enough since Americans seem to deep fry food better.

Old
09-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I just drove all the way to Langley with my friends for some In N Out burgers and they had 1500 tickets for sale and they were all gone by the time I got there.

I was so close.

You and me both, friendo. You and me both.

Closed Thread