HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT:EDM @ SJ 6pm MST Snet

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Obsessed

vCash: 500
GDT:EDM @ SJ 6pm MST Snet

Edmonton(10) vs SanJose(3)

Edmonton's slim playoff hopes are again on the line when the Oilers visit the Shark Tank. With 8 games remaining and only one against a non-playoff team the Oil have there work cut out for them. After an emotional and hard fought victory against Nashville the Copper tops will have to show the same intensity to defeat a solid SanJose club. 4 points out with a game in hand the clock is running out on the Oilers. Anything but 2 points could mean a early tee time in April. Jussi Markanen will get another chance between the pipes after losing a tough game in overtime against the Vancouver Canucks.

Look for Ales Hemsky to get his first game in the last 8 as Mac-T has the blender out again to get his top 2 lines to produce. Ryan Smyth will skate with Horcoff and Hemsky while Torres has been demoted to the fourth line with inconsistant play.

The lines for tonight look to be:

York-Nedved-Dvorak
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Stoll-Laraque
Torres-Oates-Pisani
Scratches:
Chimera, Isbister, Ferguson, Semenov

I BELIEVE!!!

The Oil machine is gaining speed....
Attached Images
File Type: gif edm25.gif‎ (394 Bytes, 4 views)
File Type: gif san25.gif‎ (273 Bytes, 3 views)

Old
03-21-2004, 12:48 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
another must win tonight, was disappointed that the shames could not win last night against the preds, oh well c'est la vie.
anyhou looking at a very tight contest tonight, won't predict a winner, don't want to jinx their current winning streak.
cmon boys keep the faith, i believe in miracles.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Edmonton(10) vs SanJose(3)

Edmonton's slim playoff hopes are again on the line when the Oilers visit the Shark Tank. With 8 games remaining and only one against a non-playoff team the Oil have there work cut out for them. After an emotional and hard fought victory against Nashville the Copper tops will have to show the same intensity to defeat a solid SanJose club. 4 points out with a game in hand the clock is running out on the Oilers. Anything but 2 points could mean a early tee time in April. Jussi Markanen will get another chance between the pipes after losing a tough game in overtime against the Vancouver Canucks.

Look for Ales Hemsky to get his first game in the last 8 as Mac-T has the blender out again to get his top 2 lines to produce. Ryan Smyth will skate with Horcoff and Hemsky while Torres has been demoted to the fourth line with inconsistant play.

The lines for tonight look to be:

York-Nedved-Dvorak
Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Stoll-Laraque
Torres-Oates-Pisani
Scratches:
Chimera, Isbister, Ferguson, Semenov

I BELIEVE!!!

The Oil machine is gaining speed....
Hemsky's playing?? Cool. But, more importantly I hope he plays well enough to give the coaches every reason to continue inserting him into the lineup.

I hope Jussi plays well - we'll need lights out goaltending the rest of the way to help carry us into the playoffs.

I, too, believe!

Old
03-21-2004, 12:49 PM
H-Bear

First, it's 'their', not 'there' .

Onto the game. Hugely important, just like the last game, and the next game, and the one after that, and .... well, you get the picture .

My psychic powers say it's a hard fought 2-2 tie. Jussi and Evgeni are great in goal when they need to be, but it's a more defensive game.

Goals:
SJ: Marleau, Cheechoo
EDM: Hemsky, Cross

Let's go OILERS

Old
03-21-2004, 12:50 PM
metallicat

This is another massive game, maybe not quite as big as the Nashville one, but it is still up there. Gotta take advantage of those idle teams in front of us.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:54 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!!

Please boys, show some spark tonight. I know you will be looking ahead to LA but we need these points.

We typically let up a bit after an emotional game like the last one but we can't afford to now.

GO OIL!!!

4-2 - York, Stoll, Moreau, Bergeron

Old
03-21-2004, 12:57 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
thanks h-bear any other folibles you would like to point out.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

folibles -

Center - SJ is rock solid down the middle, they're all savvy veterans with plenty of experience in the SJ systems and are all still having strong seasons.

The Oilers are a different story. Aside from Horcoff we don't have a single center about whom you could say all of the above, and even Horcoff has not yet reached his prime.

If the middlemen are the deciding factor in this game we probably lose in regulation.

Wings - On the wings we have a decisive advantage, there's no contest there.

Defence - D is probably the closest these two teams come to being evenly matched, tough to pick either team as having an advantage there.

Goal - uh-oh. I wouldn't be uncomfortable at this stage of the season if we had this tandem intact from the get-go, but just exactly who our number 1 netminder wasn't even well known until the last couple of games imo. We are huge underdogs in this category.

Overall - With their clear advantages at center and in net, the fact that they have home ice adv, and that they are not in grave danger at this point in time SJ are easily the favorites on paper. The beauty of sports is that the games are decided on the ice where the Oilers have been hot lately.

Are they still hot?

They say that teams start playing well a couple of games before their slumps end, and start playing poorly a couple of games before their winning streaks come to a halt. The Oilers didn't have great performances against Nashville or C-Bus although they had some players really step up, and let's face it, that type of game won't get us 7 wins in the next 8. They have to keep the momentum and lose the nervous feet in their own end.

Sadly, the Oil will definitely lose if they don't play better than they did in their last two, luckily, they are very capable of playing better than they did in their last two.

Go Ethan Go!

Old
03-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Obsessed

This from SJSharks.com
What To Watch For
On Sunday, the Sharks return to action at home as they host the Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers are fighting for the eighth and final playoff spot in the West despite having to overcome some big obstacle along the way including injuries to defenseman Jason Smith, goaltender Ty Conklin and the departure of goaltender Tommy Salo (Colorado). Offensively, Shawn Horcroft and Ryan Smith Have Stepped up recently and are leading Edmonton’s charge toward the post season. The key to the game for the Sharks will be breaking the spirits of the Oilers. All season, the Sharks have been one of the most dominant first-period teams. However, lately they have lost some of the dominance they carried in the opening stanza early in the year. If the Sharks can come out of the game strong on Sunday and deflate the hopes of the Oilers, they could capture two important points in the race for the Pacific Division crown.

What a joke... Who writes for this site?

Old
03-21-2004, 01:40 PM
creative giant*

Thanks to Calgary (now officially the most useless team ever), our season is pretty much over if we don't show up tonight. But this might also be a good thing, it forces us to keep playing well and winning.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:50 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
Thanks to Calgary (now officially the most useless team ever), our season is pretty much over if we don't show up tonight. But this might also be a good thing, it forces us to keep playing well and winning.
That sounds like things I heard on Calgary Puck a few weeks ago when the Oilers didn't help the Flames cause. The Oil have nobody but themselves to blame over what happened this entire season. They didn't have to be in this spot right now.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
The Oil's destiny is in their own hands right now, if they win out they will finish ahead of StL and LA regardless of what those two teams do against everyone else.

It's not much to go on, but it's a marked improvement over their situation before the games on Sat night.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Walsher

Nothing can stop Moreau and his half mouthful of teeth. I say Oilers 4 - Sharks 2.
York, Moreau, and IGOR with 2 as the final score. Big game - chance to pull within 1 point of a playoff spot and chance to keep the ship sailing. Gotta come out flying and smother Cheechoo and Marleau.

Hopefully Jussi is in to give Ty a rest - but whatever happens 2 points is needed.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:01 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
That sounds like things I heard on Calgary Puck a few weeks ago when the Oilers didn't help the Flames cause. The Oil have nobody but themselves to blame over what happened this entire season. They didn't have to be in this spot right now.
You maybe right, but ragging on an Oilers fan for ragging on the Flames? That's what passes for civil conversation in my circles

Old
03-21-2004, 02:17 PM
metallicat

I wasn't ragging on him, but the bottom line is that if the Oilers happen to miss the playoffs, they cannot blame anyone but themselves. Where was this performance early in the season?

Old
03-21-2004, 02:43 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
I wasn't ragging on him, but the bottom line is that if the Oilers happen to miss the playoffs, they cannot blame anyone but themselves. Where was this performance early in the season?
That's true. Too many lost chances this year...how many games did we lose to teams that we're going up against right now for the last spots? Too many to remember

But still, it would have been nice if the lames could have held onto that lead

Old
03-21-2004, 02:57 PM
metallicat

Quote:
That's true. Too many lost chances this year...how many games did we lose to teams that we're going up against right now for the last spots? Too many to remember

But still, it would have been nice if the lames could have held onto that lead
True dat. You know what our record against those lames are this year though? You turn that stat around, and we aren't sitting here talking about this right now. I hate to be negative, but it's the truth.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Go Sharks

Old
03-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Go Sharks
Another closet Oilers fan. Quit lieing to yourself and come out of the closet all ready!

Old
03-21-2004, 03:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

hey, i AM an oilers fan. i own a hat, a vintage jersey(think orange shoulder patches on navy blue) and the 'flying robot sperm' third. i think they play a very similar style to the preds, and they work hard like the preds.

that said..i'm a preds fan first, and i can't pull for you guys until it's for certain that you'd be knocking the blues or kings out...and not us .

Old
03-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
hey, i AM an oilers fan. i own a hat, a vintage jersey(think orange shoulder patches on navy blue) and the 'flying robot sperm' third. i think they play a very similar style to the preds, and they work hard like the preds.

that said..i'm a preds fan first, and i can't pull for you guys until it's for certain that you'd be knocking the blues or kings out...and not us .
Nashville Hockey Fan - isn't that an oxymoron?

Old
03-21-2004, 03:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Nashville Hockey Fan - isn't that an oxymoron?

watch it, we're officially sister cities, if you didn't know :p

Old
03-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Italian Oiler

Send a message via ICQ to Italian Oiler Send a message via MSN to Italian Oiler
Tough game indeed, and tougher ones to come... but... I STILL BELIEVE!!!

Old
03-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Jamie

This game will be very emotional I think. Both teams will be fighting hard, and I think it'll end up 2-1 for the Oilers or something low like that. My guess at the scorers will be BG and Torres. Should be a good one to watch, to bad I won't be able to

Old
03-21-2004, 04:41 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Not gonna make predictions...since the last few times I didn't make a prediction, we won.

But still...I BELIEVE!!!

Closed Thread