HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT:EDM @ SJ 6pm MST Snet

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

vCash: 500
Let's Go Oilers!

Old
03-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Luoma

I BELIEVE!!!

And I am superstitious enough to think that all the 'I believe' proclamations were enough to push the luck last time that I'm not going to chance it! Besides its true!

Old
03-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Cerebral

Ooookay, I BELIEVE!!!!
Watch for Hemsky to have a big game..

Old
03-21-2004, 05:09 PM
OMA

Big game tonight for you guys. A win would go a LONG way in your playoff chase.

Hopefully that huge win against Nashville Friday will instill some more confidence into your club.

I want to see all 6 Canadian Clubs in the playoffs, so goooooo Oilers! While you're at it would you mind knocking out the Predators I'd rather two Albertan teams make it in.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:21 PM
punk_o_holic

I have a bad feeling that the OIlers will lose the 2 of the next 3 so its better to lose to the Sharks and Stars rather then the KIngs...4-3 Sharks in ot.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Mr Sakich

I think 90 will get us in this year, maybe even 89 if our wins come against the blues and kings. I still think STL is in trouble with their tough last 4 games. We have to go 5-2-1 to get 89 or 6-2 for 90. Assuming the canucks game is meaningless to them, we should win that one. We have to win one of the three games vs the Sharks and Stars. If we do that, our destiny is pretty much in our hands.

Oilers 4
Sharks 2

who is starting in net?

Old
03-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Matts

So...very...nervous

watching pro sports is such a lovely escape from the real world hassles but that being said I wish one of these days I'd grow up and not care so much about my teams

Nah, that would take the fun out of the games they win

Jussi gets the start and I guess that's how MacT will roll with this thing, ie take a guy out after a poor effort whether the team wins or not. And I must say I like the approach. I can't remember Jussi ever playing vs the Sharks during his Oilers career.

Has he?

http://slam.canoe.ca/StatsHKN/BC-HKN...MSTATS6-R.html

Oilers are over 87% on the PK in their last 39 games but still can fall apart on the road and they aren't a very good road team in any situation. SJ not a great home PP crew but the Oilers can give them up to anyone when they get going.

Let's hope for four SH opps or less and 2GA or less from Jussi. I'd take a point tonight because the Sharks are a great home team

Old
03-21-2004, 07:03 PM
OYLer

Two wins away from belief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oilers will win 4 - 3 in overtime!

Old
03-21-2004, 07:13 PM
metallicat

Cory Cross!!! 1-0!!!!

Whoooo! I Believe!

Old
03-21-2004, 07:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

damn Marleau scored..1-1...boy they look like compleate sht right now...

Old
03-21-2004, 07:34 PM
windowlicker

Playing "Heart Attack" hockey for about 10 games straight will take its toll on any team. And after the heart-stopping ending of the last game............
This is the Let-down game, and I just hope the guys regroup before its 3-1.

Old
03-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Whitenoise

Bergeron from Nedved, 2-1 Oil.

Old
03-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Cerebral

Meh, not a great first period but it could have been worse.. at least we have the lead! Bergeron and Markkanen both had a very strong first period.

Old
Matts

As per Igor, if you follow the Roger Neilson idea

pertaining to scoring chances, this game should be over right now. Three or four great saves from Jussi and the Oilers are road PK monkeys and they also looked terrible on the 4-on-4 as well.

They are gonna have to stay out of the box or else hope Jussi is able to pitch a real gem.

In other news, in too many games this year the Oilers have lost the "terrible goals allowed" contest otherwise known as the Tommy Salo Special.

But due to Nabakov's "effort" on MAB's goal, we're leading, or trailing, so far this game

Old
Mr Sakich

for those unable to watch, here is a brief summary

1 the sharks are very aggressive in all aspects of the game. Lots os hits, lots of interference, lots of skating. Kinda reminds of the oilers 4-5 years ago.

2 the sharks rely on their goalie more than any team I have seen this year. Nabakov is left alone a lot. The bergie goal was a prime example. Off the face-off, he was allowed to walk in 20 feet away and blast. The shark dmen ignored him and waited for the rebound.

3 good reffing this period. They are letting them both play. The only blown call was a missed off-side. A shark was 3 feet off-side but the linesman wasn't on the blue line. I think he was ordering a beer from the vendor in the stands. I am not listening to the radio feed but I am sure Rod had something to say about it.

4 Bergie belongs

5 Nabakov seems to be fighting the long shots. Could be a long night for him.

Old
03-21-2004, 07:49 PM
old kentucky shark

fewer shots and more goals, go jussi!

Old
03-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
for those unable to watch, here is a brief summary

1 the sharks are very aggressive in all aspects of the game. Lots os hits, lots of interference, lots of skating. Kinda reminds of the oilers 4-5 years ago.

2 the sharks rely on their goalie more than any team I have seen this year. Nabakov is left alone a lot. The bergie goal was a prime example. Off the face-off, he was allowed to walk in 20 feet away and blast. The shark dmen ignored him and waited for the rebound.

3 good reffing this period. They are letting them both play. The only blown call was a missed off-side. A shark was 3 feet off-side but the linesman wasn't on the blue line. I think he was ordering a beer from the vendor in the stands. I am not listening to the radio feed but I am sure Rod had something to say about it.

4 Bergie belongs

5 Nabakov seems to be fighting the long shots. Could be a long night for him.
Thx, muchly appreciated.

Old
03-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Cerebral

Nedved with an assist as well..

Old
03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
windowlicker

Oh boy...not a good goal to give up by Jussi at all.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:23 PM
creative giant*

Oil come back with a shorty of their own!

Some amazing few seconds of hockey there..

Old
03-21-2004, 08:40 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Oh boy...not a good goal to give up by Jussi at all.
To be honest... that was a howitzer by Kyle. And with 3 players directly in his line of sight, Jussi didn't have much of a chance; he could only guess at when the puck was going to be shot and he didn't react in time.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Mr Sakich

jussi had no chance on the goal. He was completely screened

hemsky playing well with horc and smyth. His development is taking a back seat to the immediate needs but he has earned another game.

pisani looks good out there. Threw a few checks that had me thinking torres was on the ice. Speaking of torres, is he hurt? he has been a complete non-factor this game.

brewer is the best player on the ice and will end up with close to 30 minutes of ice time. Bergie is the 2nd best oiler dman tonight. Staois has been invisible, Ulanov OK, smith OK. Cross 3rd best dman

The sharks look real vulnerable to me. I don't know how they don't get scored on a lot more. Their defense is very slow. Imagine 7 corry cross as your defense. Maclaren is the worst player on the ice tonight. He is getting beat to every puck.

The worst oilers has been nedved and oates. Both very uninsipred. Mact gets a rasberry because he isn't playing the laraque line enough.

In summary, the oilers are playing a smart road game and look like the better team. A couple of hit posts prevents this from being a blow-out. San Jose has a big advantage because the boards give a lot of funny bounces and they seem to know where the puck is headed. I would be happy with an OT loss or tie but the oilers seem to want more.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
To be honest... that was a howitzer by Kyle. And with 3 players directly in his line of sight, Jussi didn't have much of a chance; he could only guess at when the puck was going to be shot and he didn't react in time.
Yep, let's not start criticizing Markkanen's play as badly as we did Salo's.. that shot was through three players and it was virtually impossible for Jussi to find the puck. He has had a pretty strong game and has made a lot of very tough saves..

Old
03-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Matts

Where's the Oilers counterpunch?

You see the momentum ebb and flow in most games with one team carrying the play and then the other taking their turn.

There is no turn for the Oilers in this one and it's flaggbergasting that the Oilers actually have the lead. I hope they don't lose in reg because there's no way I can see them holding onto the lead. The Sharks may be a great skating club but against the Oilers they are playing the puck posession game and it looks like if you wait out the Oilers, eventually their man coverage will break down.

Hemsky looks rusty and apprenhensive and outside of his assist on Smith's goal, York doesn't appear to be any great shakes either.

I can't prove this but I'd wager most shots on goal have been registered vs the Smith/Brew tandem. MacT hasn't been afraid to jangle the foward lines so he might think about doing it with the D pairings as well.

And there are tonnes of things to like about RD but Madonna's first headboard has more finish.

Man oh man can this team hold onto to this lead? Nerve wracking and ulder irritating

Old
03-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Matts

Yeah I forgot about the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
jussi had no chance on the goal. He was completely screened

hemsky playing well with horc and smyth. His development is taking a back seat to the immediate needs but he has earned another game.

pisani looks good out there. Threw a few checks that had me thinking torres was on the ice. Speaking of torres, is he hurt? he has been a complete non-factor this game.

brewer is the best player on the ice and will end up with close to 30 minutes of ice time. Bergie is the 2nd best oiler dman tonight. Staois has been invisible, Ulanov OK, smith OK. Cross 3rd best dman

The sharks look real vulnerable to me. I don't know how they don't get scored on a lot more. Their defense is very slow. Imagine 7 corry cross as your defense. Maclaren is the worst player on the ice tonight. He is getting beat to every puck.

The worst oilers has been nedved and oates. Both very uninsipred. Mact gets a rasberry because he isn't playing the laraque line enough.

In summary, the oilers are playing a smart road game and look like the better team. A couple of hit posts prevents this from being a blow-out. San Jose has a big advantage because the boards give a lot of funny bounces and they seem to know where the puck is headed. I would be happy with an OT loss or tie but the oilers seem to want more.
I really think the Oilers are damn lucky to be where they are and I don't think many of them are playing that well but yeah they've dinged a couple of pipes BUT on one of those plays Smith scored before the next whistle so they didn't really lose any momentum off it.

And if Windowlicker thinks that Jussi goal was weak, then I'd have loved to been posting here the last two Tommy seasons becasue it would've been fun

Closed Thread