HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

*Under the Radar* Performances

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 02:48 PM
ZombieMatt

vCash: 500
I think Bryan Allen has had a very good season this year for the Canucks. He has not had a great offensive year in terms of goals, but he's been rock solid on the blueline for the Canucks and has done a pretty good job keeping the crease clear when he's in the game.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I think for the Redwings I would say Maltby and also Jamie Rivers. We expected this guy to be a 7-8 d-man, either in the press box or in the minors. He had played 42 games, 4 points and a +9. Not under the radar as much as others but he has really stepped up when needed and played great.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:04 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Not to burst your bubble, but Sopel is all but reliable in his own end. Reliable is that you sit back in your chair when you're getting an odd man rush against, knowing [fill in reliable player] is on the ice to stop them with succes. Reliable is a consistant defenseman that you trust with your eyes closed, reliable is no single brainfart. Sopel is far from reliable. I do agree that he has looked better defensively than last season, but that isn't all that of a task, to be honest. And yes, I think he's underrated offensively, but he doesn't has any offensive upside left, let alone a big one. He's 27 and is on pace for a mere 4 point upgrade over last season's totals. I think Sopel has gotten fair credit..
you have an odd misconception of reliable. when there's an odd-man rush against i don't care is Scott Stevens and Zdeno Chara paired on defense, i'm not about to sit back in my chair.

- Sopel goes against other team's top lines night in and night out
- he plays in all situations (5o5, 4o4, PP, PK, OT, etc)
- he consistantly logs 20+ minutes a night (recently in 25 minute range, and even played 32 minutes the other night)
- he gets 40 points a season playing on the 2nd powerplay unit, and as a shutdown defensemen when 5 on 5
- he doesn't have "brain farts" (he did last season, but that was a terrible season for him)
- he is possibly the best player in the league at holding the puck in the attacking zone
- he even makes hilight reel saves (yes SAVES) when his goaltender is caught out of net

i don't think an unreliable defensemen gets put out on the ice for 32 minutes, and has the resume above. as far as i'm concerned he's passed Salo and Jovo on the depth chart and owns the #2 spot.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Teemu

i forgot for the hawks, Scott Nichol. I thought he was a bag of crap when we picked him up, but he's now a great third-line center who can win faceoffs

Old
03-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Dmitri Kalinin has quietly moved into a role as a key contributor on the Sabre blueline, leading the defensemen in points (7-22-29) and logging a ton of icetime in the absence of Alexei Zhitnik. He's played well in all situations and has added a little more robust physical side to compliment his usual calm puck movement. And at only 23 years old, he looks like he's tapped into what the team saw when they drafted him in '98.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
I'd like to see Nabokov's stats compared to Kiprusoff since Nabby's gotten back from his injury. He's on my Yahoo team, and I think he is a top 3 goalie this season, and hasn't seen near as much credit.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Phaze

I'm impressed with Tyler Arnason. He has 52 points in 74 games and noone talks about him too much.

Old
03-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Snugglepuss

Jason Blake

Old
03-21-2004, 03:21 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Robert Reichel has been on fire for Toronto this year.
'On fire' may be a bit strong, since his offensive output hasn't been that incredible. That said, he has been a very useful player this year, and I feel last year he also caught quite a bit of undeserved flak. Sure, he obviously is overpaid, but that's not his fault... Personally wouldn't mind him getting resigned to a smaller contract in the offseason to be honest...

Quote:
I'm impressed with Tyler Arnason. He has 52 points in 74 games and noone talks about him too much.
I agree. Heard quite a bit about him last year, but hardly anything this year, and found myself wondering how he was actually doing. Which is pretty well I might say

Old
03-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Not to burst your bubble, but Sopel is all but reliable in his own end. Reliable is that you sit back in your chair when you're getting an odd man rush against, knowing [fill in reliable player] is on the ice to stop them with succes. Reliable is a consistant defenseman that you trust with your eyes closed, reliable is no single brainfart. Sopel is far from reliable. I do agree that he has looked better defensively than last season, but that isn't all that of a task, to be honest. And yes, I think he's underrated offensively, but he doesn't has any offensive upside left, let alone a big one. He's 27 and is on pace for a mere 4 point upgrade over last season's totals. I think Sopel has gotten fair credit..
Do you even watch the Canucks on a regular basis?

Old
03-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee-Dub
its too bad he can't be more consistant, or he'd be pushing 70 points. He just needs his ass kicked by sutter every now and then, i guess. he has like 12 pts in 7 games now or something

Old
03-21-2004, 03:51 PM
LuckyLUC20

Definitely Cheechoo .. maybe even that whole Sharks team. They are going to be dangerous in the playoffs. I really like the make-up of that club. They are so tough to beat and nobody outside of San Jose knows any of those players.

Old
03-21-2004, 04:02 PM
J-D

Is Vyborny leeching on Nash? Because statistically, he's having an above-average season.

Old
03-21-2004, 04:36 PM
CanadaAvalanche

I don't know about his defensive play but how about Bryan Berard?

Offensively he has put together a very solid year with 42 points(13g - 29a) in 49 games.

Old
03-21-2004, 04:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Mark Bell. I think Don Cherry put it perfectly a few weeks ago, the guy has 50 points and no one ever hears of him.

Old
03-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Dmitri Kalinin has quietly moved into a role as a key contributor on the Sabre blueline, leading the defensemen in points (7-22-29) and logging a ton of icetime in the absence of Alexei Zhitnik. He's played well in all situations and has added a little more robust physical side to compliment his usual calm puck movement. And at only 23 years old, he looks like he's tapped into what the team saw when they drafted him in '98.
Ohhh, good one. I forgot him too. I've seen only about 5 Sabres games this season, but every game he's stuck out. Honestly, I was thinking that he would turn out to be a bust after that pretty good first season he had. I think it's safe to say that he'll stick.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
people have said Jason Blake a couple times, but from the Isles the real MVP that doesn't get any credit is Kenny Jonsson. Aucoin got a lot of attention earlier in the season due to his stats, but as someone who watches nearly every Isles game, I feel I can say with confidence that we're far worse off without Jonsson than without Aucoin. He's so unbelievably skilled and steady in his own zone, keeps his poise in any situation and simply does not make mistakes. Has quietly become a +19 and is the backbone of the Isles defense.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:10 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Pierre Turgeon. 3rd On the Stars in points per minute and one of their best forwards all year..
wasn't he at 1 or 2 goals halfway through the season? for a 7.5 million dollar guy?

Old
03-21-2004, 05:12 PM
HockeyMan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
Is Vyborny leeching on Nash? Because statistically, he's having an above-average season.
Nope, the entire team is leeching off of those two, but Vyborny has created many a scoring chance on his own.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:19 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
I haven't watched a whole lot of Avs games this year, but they're probably one of the teams I've watched the most next to the Canucks due to their coverage. From what I have seen though, I've been thoroughly impressed with John-Michael Liles. He displaced Morris as on the #1 PP unit before Morris was shipped out and his passing game is superb. Despite being only a paltry 185 lbs(kinda tiny for a d-man), he's played very well for the Avalanche.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:24 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

As a Sharks fan, I agree with Cheech and Korky, but I gotta say Nils Ekman. The way he has played of late, he could pass Marleau and lead the team in scoring. Nils Ekman, for cryin out loud.

For non-Sharks, Frolov. This guy is going to be a monster. Total monster.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Phaze

Another one I forgot to mention is Jochen Hecht. He's missed a bunch of games to injury (as always), but he has been good when he has played, and terrific recently.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:56 PM
tom_servo

Ric Jackman -- 19 points in 19 games as a Penguin.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Quagmier

Val Bure was pretty solid for FLA this season, and i don't recall hearing much about him

Old
03-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Ric Jackman -- 19 points in 19 games as a Penguin.
Forgot about him. He has played GREAT.

Closed Thread