HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonas Hiller

Old
05-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Ducks

vCash: 500
Jonas Hiller

Hiller has 1 year left @ the bargain price of 1.3 million.

Giguere has a NTC and will be much more difficult to move, both goalies want to be #1, and with Giguere's history with the team I see Anaheim making Hiller available.

Anaheim needs scoring forwards in the Center/LW positions. What would your team offer this summer?

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
frederixx

They could move him to the Flyers for JVR.

But i wouldn't be surprised if they move Giguere instead.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:47 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

I could see:

Colorado ~ Wolski 1-1 possibly
Flyers ~ Possibly JVR

Does either seem fair?

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 03:38 PM
1025*

Anaheim would probably be keen on keeping both, Hiller already out played JSG this year. JSG would probably be traded, or waived and buried in the minors if salary cap becomes a problem.

One place I could see JSG going would be Edmonton / Toronto this off season.

1025* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 03:41 PM
twenty2

Don't think the Flyers give up JVR for Hiller who has had one good season.

Two things can happen with a trade with the Flyers that involves JVR and Hiller.

1) Ducks would be adding some solid pieces.
2) Flyers would be dumping a buttload of salary.

I don't think either sounds feasible for the Ducks so I don't think JVR is the option you're looking for.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1025 View Post
Anaheim would probably be keen on keeping both, Hiller already out played JSG this year. JSG would probably be traded, or waived and buried in the minors if salary cap becomes a problem.

One place I could see JSG going would be Edmonton / Toronto this off season.
I don't see JSG being waived, he'd probably fall through and we'd never see him again on re-entry.

He could be traded but he has a NTC and a 6mil per year salary which is a tough sell considering his below average performance this season.

Anaheim can't keep both goaltenders past the 09-10 season. Hiller will be due for a raise, and Giguere already makes 6 million per season. I expect Anaheim to make Hiller available this summer and let Giguere redeem himself next season.

Old
05-19-2009, 09:59 PM
caliamad

I also think Giguere has a NMC not a NTC meaning he can't be waived. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think they will also be looking for someone more established than JVR.

I'm not too familiar with Wolski style of play, but his 6-3 200 lb frame sounds nice.

Would they be willing to give up a 23 year old for potentially 1 year of Hiller?

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
I also think Giguere has a NMC not a NTC meaning he can't be waived. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think they will also be looking for someone more established than JVR.

I'm not too familiar with Wolski style of play, but his 6-3 200 lb frame sounds nice.

Would they be willing to give up a 23 year old for potentially 1 year of Hiller?
Although large, Wolski doesn't play the physical style you would expect. He is not afraid to play in the corners and will hit if he needs to. He is capable of sticking up for himself and teammates physically if he needs to. He is able to play either wing or center which gives the coach some flexibility. He is especially effect in the shoot out going 10-12 this year. He has a lot of potential and the Avs organization thinks he could eventually play top line minutes.

I thought Hiller had this upcoming season + 1 more? If he is a FA after this year Colorado may want a pick/prospect coming back also.

Old
05-19-2009, 10:06 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post

i'm sure they would. I can easily see the Avs give up on Wolski for a potential #1 goalie which they have been looking for a while.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
i'm sure they would. I can easily see the Avs give up on Wolski for a potential #1 goalie which they have been looking for a while.
I don't know, I think they would want a prospect/pick coming back also. They are high on Wolski still and, in this case Hiller has only had 1 good season under his belt so far.

Old
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
I don't know, I think they would want a prospect/pick coming back also. They are high on Wolski still and, in this case Hiller has only had 1 good season under his belt so far.
Well it's kind of a double edged sword.

On the one hand they get 1 year of Hiller, but it's only for 1.3 million which is a steal in terms of salary. They'd have all season to sign an extension, which he probably would sign easily if he was garunteed a #1 spot.

What if the Ducks threw in a conditional pick that only goes through if they don't re-sign Hiller?

Old
05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D U C K S View Post
What if the Ducks threw in a conditional pick that only goes through if they don't re-sign Hiller?
That is what I was thinking. Probably something like:

Hiller + Pick (Avs choice of 2010 4th or 2011 4th, if Hiller doesn't resign pick changes from 4th to 1st and a 5th)

for

Wolski

Would that seem fair?

Old
05-19-2009, 10:16 PM
ELab2

I'd certainly trade JVR for Hiller. He really showed a lot in these playoffs and while he's not sure thing to continue that it's certainly promising. I think Anaheim moves Giguere though, with the Flyers being a real possibility.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
That is what I was thinking. Probably something like:

Hiller + Pick (Avs choice of 2010 4th or 2011 4th, if Hiller doesn't resign pick changes from 4th to 1st and a 5th)

for

Wolski

Would that seem fair?
Hmm seems like a bit too much. A young solid 1# goalie is worth more than a second line forward. Here's what I would consider fair:

Hiller + Conditional 1st if Colorado doesn't extend his contract.

for

Wolski

Old
05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
I'd certainly trade JVR for Hiller. He really showed a lot in these playoffs and while he's not sure thing to continue that it's certainly promising. I think Anaheim moves Giguere though, with the Flyers being a real possibility.
I'd love to have JVR in our prospect pool, but I don't think he fills Anaheim's immediate need which is second line scoring. I think the Ducks are looking to make a good run at the cup next season.

Old
05-19-2009, 10:42 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

I am willing to bet Colorado would want a mid pick coming back that is guaranteed. After Wolski's contract is finished next season he is an RFA not UFA. Which means Anaheim could still get a first round + more back of someone signs him to an offer sheet. He is still you with top line upside.

Old
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
twenty2

Quote:
I wouldn't.

Hiller won't be playing behind Neidermayer and Pronger in Philadelphia.

As I said...I wouldn't care if Biron is back in net as long as we boost our defense.

I have this little thought in the back of my head that just knows Hiller would get eaten alive with any pairing like Jones and Alberts standing in front of him.

Old
05-19-2009, 11:25 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
I wouldn't.

Hiller won't be playing behind Neidermayer and Pronger in Philadelphia.

As I said...I wouldn't care if Biron is back in net as long as we boost our defense.

I have this little thought in the back of my head that just knows Hiller would get eaten alive with any pairing like Jones and Alberts standing in front of him.
because Neidermayer and Pronger play 60 minutes a game? Not sure if you watched him play but I saw most of Anaheims playoff games and the kid was great regardless of who was playing in front of him.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:51 PM
twenty2

Quote:
because Neidermayer and Pronger play 60 minutes a game? Not sure if you watched him play but I saw most of Anaheims playoff games and the kid was great regardless of who was playing in front of him.
I didn't watch much of Anaheim, so I'll take your word for it.

I just think Hiller is a little bit of a risk, and that we could get more for a prospect like JVR.

Old
05-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
I didn't watch much of Anaheim, so I'll take your word for it.

I just think Hiller is a little bit of a risk, and that we could get more for a prospect like JVR.
That's probably good then because I doubt Anaheim goes after JVR, I don't think Murray is looking for prospects.

Old
05-20-2009, 12:37 AM
caliamad

They have to be someone who can be counted on to contribute next year on the 2nd line.

JVR sounds great and I've love to see him with the top line, but I doubt he's a sure thing next year. Ducks are not rebuilding unless Niedermayer leaves or retires.

Ducks whole offseason game plan will center around 1 more shot of a cup run w/ niedermayer.

But I wouldn't expect them to go after older guys, guys who will be UFAs is fine, but with a chance of extending to play another 3-5 years (i.e. players in the 25-28 year range).

Hiller falls in that category (27 years old in a 1 year deal). He might be a UFA at season's end, but he can easily play another 5 years.

A previous poster mentioned that his numbers are inflated by the defense in front of him. Isn't that true of any goalie... even Luongo, Brodure, etc.?

Isn't whats important with most goalies consistency and not beating themselves?

Hiller was fantastic this year. He did give up some soft goals against detriot but he was near perfect against san jose. The reason why he started over Giguere was because he was very consistent.

He played a lot of hockey since the deadline, and I don't think a little drop off is unexpected against a juggernaut offense like the red wings.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Giguere will be a casualty of cannon fodder before Hiller is moved.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Talentless Practise*

Here's something Giguere had to say:
http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/200...85/#more-13785

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S Giguere
I signed a no-move for a reason, Giguere said. I really like playing here. Right now, this is what my heart is telling me, to stay here and try to find a way. Now if the team and Bob Murray feel like its better for them to move me, Ill see. But at this point, I have no intention of going anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S Giguere
Im going to have all kinds of motivation to go to the gym and do what I need to do to be ready for next season, Giguere said. Im confident I would get a chance to be a No. 1. I know I would get that kind of respect from Randy. It would be up to me to take it at that point.
Ducks GM on goaltending:

http://ducks.freedomblogging.com/200...oncerns/13941/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Murray
I would probably be comfortable with a 1 and a 1A, Murray said. But I think Im in a minority here and its something were going to have to talk out here.

Jiggys a No.1 and Jonas wants to be and proves hes earned a right to be a No.1. So theres legitimate arguments on both sides. Its something that has to be talked about. I dont think theyll both be happy if theyre not 1s. If thats the case, you have the possibility for problems. Ill be straight - its a concern of mine at the moment.

Weve been there once before in Anaheim. Its no fun to wake up every morning wondering if your goalies OK. Because if your goalie gets hurt, youre really in trouble. Thats how it was here for a long time, and were not going to put ourselves in that position again, for sure.
To me it says "Hiller is available but you'll have to do well with the offer".

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Jimgrayson

It sounds like if Hiller goes it's for a good offer and there's a capable back up coming in one way or another because we don't have one in the system. Any names come to mind we could trade for / pick up as a UFA to fill the gap if he goes?

Jimgrayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Bobby Smash

Hiller, Pronger, and 2nd round pick.
for
Lupul, Coburn, and Giroux

Bobby Smash is offline   Reply With Quote