HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kovalev Scores!

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 02:17 AM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Kovalev Scores!

MONTREAL (CP) -- Alex Kovalev's first goal in a Montreal Canadiens uniform may have gone into an empty net, but he'll take it.

Rookie Michael Ryder had a goal and an assist for the fourth time in six games and Jose Theodore made 33 saves as the Montreal Canadiens moved into a tie for sixth place in the Eastern Conference with a 3-2 win Saturday over the New Jersey Devils. Kovalev's empty-netter at 18:59 of the third broke an 11-game goal drought dating to Feb. 19 when he was still with the New York Rangers. It turned out to be the winner after the Devils scored 25 seconds later.

A visibly relieved Kovalev raised both hands in the air and tapped the glass to acknowledge the fans. "When you go through a season where you're hitting so many posts, and missing the net so many times and breaking sticks -- I definitely expect to score a lot more goals, but that's the way the season went for me this year," Kovalev said.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH..... BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:20 AM
Edge

quick lemme get him a kleenex.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:21 AM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
quick lemme get him a kleenex.
And what's worse - his dog ate his jersey on the way to the game. It was horrible. Don't remind him about it.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:22 AM
Edge

too bad it didnt eat his stick, because that's obviously where the problem started.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:26 AM
Park #2

Quote:
too bad it didnt eat his stick, because that's obviously where the problem started.
I would've rather it start at the real route of the problem, and just chomp off his head.

Old
03-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Tommy Udo

Just for my information, please let me know if Kovalev didn't break a lot of sticks, didn't hit goalposts and didn't miss the net a lot this season.

Also, I'd like to see where he blamed anyone else besides himself for his failures this year.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:09 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismember
Just for my information, please let me know if Kovalev didn't break a lot of sticks, didn't hit goalposts and didn't miss the net a lot this season.
if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts it would be christmas every day

Old
03-21-2004, 10:13 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Sounds like Kovalev has been hanging around Jackass too much. It's rubbing off. Everyone else's and everything else's fault but his own. Yeah, it was the stick that caused him to overhandle the puck at the other teams blueline, resulting in an odd-man rush the other way. It was all the evil sticks fault.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Hankenstein

Maybe he should start a Jobu-like shirne in his locker with the Troll as the god. He could repeatedly tap his sticks with chicken bones and offer rum to the naked troll.

Old
03-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Fletch

Don't know what the uproar is...

is he making excuses? No, I don't think so. He's admitting to a tough season - which includes missing the net, hitting posts, breaking sticks, etc...basically saying things were not going well for him, whatever the reason. And he's relieved for one to finally find the net. Big whoop.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Tommy Udo

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Sounds like Kovalev has been hanging around Jackass too much. It's rubbing off. Everyone else's and everything else's fault but his own. Yeah, it was the stick that caused him to overhandle the puck at the other teams blueline, resulting in an odd-man rush the other way. It was all the evil sticks fault.
Kovalev overhandling the puck is nothing new. He did it in Pitt, too. Missing the net to the degree he did this year is out of the ordinary. So is the amount of times his stick broke when he took a slap shot. If the sticks are more prone to break, he should have adjusted or taken more wrist shots. It's also possible that his eyesight might not be what it was.

Sure, he's rationalizing a but but I don't see the need to blast him and belittle him because of what he said.

If it makes people happy to do that, fine.

Old
03-21-2004, 12:47 PM
charliemurphy

Who cares what Kovalev is up to?
Rather talk about Balej.
Go Brian Leafs!

Old
03-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Nice job Kovy, next time try it when theres a goalie there.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:25 PM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Nice job Kovy, next time try it when theres a goalie there.
Good one.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:34 PM
deathbear

wow are you guys bitter.

kovalev isnt blaming anyone but himself. jeez...

Old
03-21-2004, 01:37 PM
charliemurphy

Think that's bitter.
Ask what people think about Sather.

Old
03-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
you guys are waay too hard on Kovalev !
sure he didnt peform in New-York .. but now he gets a 2nd chance and everybody in montreal want him to suceed !!
BTW even if we traded balej in the kovalev deal.. im still cheering for him!! he's one of the most underrated prospect around the board .. and he'll be a great player in the future !
so does you guys have something fine to said about kovalev? ..
at least one good thing ...

Old
03-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Fletch

I liked him...

when playing with the team's better offensive players, he played well, while at the same time going against top lines. He wasn't scoring, but he was setting up goals for others - unfortunately in RangerLand, finishing was a problem - for Kovalev too.

He seemed to lose some interest when he played with Nedved and Hlavac. He had more chemistry with a guy like Holik - as Kovalev seemed to be the puck carrier on that line - but he and Nedved seemed to always clash, I thought. It was a disaster having those two together. Funny how Nedved tallies 9 points in 7 or 8 games in Edmonton immediately - playing with Dvorak, again, and a scorer on the other end. Perhaps if Hlavac didn't suck so much throughout the season, things would've been different on that line - who knows.

I think we're happy here with the return. I don't hold a grudge against him like others. I liked him when he was first here, I liked when he returned, and I still follow him.

Old
03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Tommy Udo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
so does you guys have something fine to said about kovalev? ..
at least one good thing ...
Strong as an ox and doesn't shy away from contact.

To a certain degree his puckhandling skills are detrimental. With his skating, shot, size and stength he could've been a legitimate power forward. Not as much fun to watch when his game was on, but maybe more productive.

Closed Thread