HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kassian ?

Old
05-11-2009, 04:00 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
Is there/who are the better Power Forward prospects in this draft? Are any of them close to being NHL ready?
Kane?

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

vCash: 500
I think Montreal does whatever they have to do trade up to get him. They need a physical, young player who can play and not just be a goon in the worst way.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I think too many people are looking for the next Lucic that it causes players to get overhyped based on their size alone. Kassian's a good prospect, but I think someone will jump up to take him early and pass on better players based on a perceived need to get a Lucic-style winger.

There are a few wingers I like a lot more than Kassian in this draft if you really want a Power Forward with boom or bust potential. Carter Ashton for one.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Is there/who are the better Power Forward prospects in this draft? Are any of them close to being NHL ready?
More to the point, are those questions really a good basis for drafting decisions?

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I know Kassian put up some decent numbers for a tough guy with size..... But did anyone else notice guys started singing his praises and proclaiming how great he is after one hit on John Tavares at the top prospects game??? Almost like a minor league baseball player hitting one 450 foot home run and all of a sudden he is the next Babe Ruth..... Lack of speed, lack of hockey sense, and not great hands are things I'm hearing and there are plenty of other guys I'd rather have over this guy that is over-rated because he took a run at Tavares during an all-star game.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:06 PM
tommygun77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I want my team to completely stay away from him.

There's nothing worse than a PF who 'takes nights off' and is 'inconsistent in his effort'

Not to mention worrying footspeed and questionable hockey sense.
Haha sounds like Penner...

tommygun77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
I know Kassian put up some decent numbers for a tough guy with size..... But did anyone else notice guys started singing his praises and proclaiming how great he is after one hit on John Tavares at the top prospects game??? Almost like a minor league baseball player hitting one 450 foot home run and all of a sudden he is the next Babe Ruth..... Lack of speed, lack of hockey sense, and not great hands are things I'm hearing and there are plenty of other guys I'd rather have over this guy that is over-rated because he took a run at Tavares during an all-star game.
a lot of people have been watching him since long before that game. He'll go early in the back half of the 1st round for a reason. It's not that easy for a 17-18yo to score at or near a ppg in the O. Even if he is bigger than most of his competition.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
I think Montreal does whatever they have to do trade up to get him. They need a physical, young player who can play and not just be a goon in the worst way.
Well i certainly wouldnt be dissapointed if the Habs selected him at #17/18, but doing "whatever it takes" is a bit much.

Id be just as happy with Ashton or Kreiger with that pick as well.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Kane?
Kane is obvious but should be a top 5 pick.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
More to the point, are those questions really a good basis for drafting decisions?

cheers
Well if there are those players at some point during the draft they will be drafted and I was hoping to hear a scouting report about some of them if there are any. Obviously people much more experienced and knowledgeable will be in charge of the actual drafting.

More to the point, is your question at all useful or constructive and really worth putting in that 20 seconds of effort to type up?

cheers

Old
05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
RUSqueelin

Kassian is a 3rd line NHL forward at best I think. Maybe 2nd line at some point if he peaks at his best. He's not going to be a point guy in the NHL. There are lots of players in the NHL who are big, can skate decent and are physical (He can definately fight). But they 4 liners, not 1st round draft picks.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Well if there are those players at some point during the draft they will be drafted and I was hoping to hear a scouting report about some of them if there are any. Obviously people much more experienced and knowledgeable will be in charge of the actual drafting.

More to the point, is your question at all useful or constructive and really worth putting in that 20 seconds of effort to type up?

cheers
Sorry Shaun, I didn't realise it was a straightforward question. I thought you were making an argument for why Kassian should be drafted high. My mistake.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Is Byfuglien a decent comparison?
If Kassian puts on 50 lbs and quits fighting.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post

I want nothing to do with a glorified goon.

Montréal has no need for a gritty third line player with some offensive upside.

Get me a first line player in the first round, be it a 6'4, 250 lbs power forward or Jordan Schroeder.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:53 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
He needs to greatly improve his skating or he has Brad Isbister written all over him.

IMO hes very overrated at this point. Id rather have Chris Brown who you could prolly draft near the middle of the second round.
I hear that guy hits his girlfriend, seems like a power forward type

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
This post makes a lot of erroneous assumptions.

Sure, Kassian's hit on Tavares raised Kassian's profile among some hockey fans. But anybody who followed the OHL at all knew that Kassian was known for that style of play. He had done that many times before. Heck, he was even suspended once for a hit to the head and some were calling for it another time he devastated a guy with a hit. Just search YouTube and you'll get a sample.

As for his lack of speed, it's tough to argue with that because it's true. But is he a plodder? No. Also, he knows that's the area he needs to improve on and he has said he's going to work on it. You've got to hand it to a 17-year-old kid that identifies a weakness in his game and vows to work on it.

Lack of hockey sense? Sorry. You don't produce the kind of points Kassian did at 17 --- on a bad team -- without having hockey sense.

His playmaking skills are vastly underrated and he has a wicked shot.

A lot of people compare him to Lucic, because Lucic is in vogue right now. At 17, in his draft year, Lucic scored nine goals and 10 assists. Yes, I know production is not everything, but that's a far cry from what Kassian did this year.

Secondly, Kassian is a great fighter, but he is not as big as Lucic is or as tall, I don't think he will be a true heavyweight in the NHL. Lucic has grown two inches and put on 20 pounds since he was drafted, though. Kassian could still do that, but if he does, it won't be because he's trying to put on weight. It will be natural gain. In an interview in March, he said he plays his best at a lighter weight, and given that skating is the area he needs to work on, that will help him.

Lucic is not a true heavyweight among the goons. But among those that can play the game, Lucic is definitely in the heavyweight category. Kassian will be the same.

As for those that say he is a third-liner, well, what line he ends up playing on will depend on what team he plays for and how deep they are. Kassian has enough hockey sense and skill to play on the top two lines and provide that nice mix of skill/sheriff that some lines need.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
Sorry Shaun, I didn't realise it was a straightforward question. I thought you were making an argument for why Kassian should be drafted high. My mistake.

cheers
Haha no problem I thought you were trying to be a dick so I was kind of one back. Sorry about that

Old
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Ian Esplen
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Is Byfuglien a decent comparison?
no kassian will fight

i like him but his skating, dumb penalties and he tends to go looking for the big hit when its not there really worry me. i think he'll be an nhler for sure but how good he becomes will depend on how the team that drafts him develops him.

i would rate him somewhere between 18-25 in this years draft

Last edited by Ian Esplen: 05-20-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Ian Esplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Does anyone get a "Ben Eager without the unstableness" vibe out of him? I do... although I think he'll be better offensively.

05-20-2009, 11:48 AM
BIG BLUE

the one interview I saw with him...he seemed....uh...intellectually challenged...

but I don't interact with NHL players so I don't know if that has any bearing on his future...

however, a lot of power forwards in the NHL seem quite intelligent in interviews...

hmm....

just the vibe I got.

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Does anyone get a "Ben Eager without the unstableness" vibe out of him? I do... although I think he'll be better offensively.
I don't think that's a particularly strong comparison based on my viewings. Eager separated himself from other big men because of his skating. Kassian, IMO, is held back most by his skating, which is an extremely important difference between the two. I also think Kassian has more hockey sense and offensive upside than Eager. Watching Eager in junior, I can't say I ever saw any real scoring upside. He had great size, skating ability and physical ability, but showed no indications in any way of having scoring line upside.

To me, if we're talking about negative comparisons, I think Kassian reminds me of a more dedicated Matt Zultek.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:03 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Whenever I've seen him play live he's never really 'gone out of his way' to make a huge hit. Then again, that's not really his role with the Petes. He plays the game with an offensive mind in the games I've seen. I actually find he has some good play making skills and he works the boards really well. The games I've seen, he's been an all-situation type player (PK/PP). Pretty fearless and handles the puck well.

He needs fine tuning, but what power forward type prospect doesn't at 17/18? Most take time rounding into form even when they hit the NHL you don't really see the potential come to the surface until their 25-30yrs old. I think he projects well as a pro personally. What type of pro game he'll have is anyone's guess. He could end up being a Ben Eager type but it'll depend on how his offensive game translates. But the potential is there.

A few more season in the OHL and then a few seasons of AHL adjustment and there could be a real player there. If a team takes a gamble on him in the 2nd half of the first round, he may end up paying off huge for them in the long run. The key is long run. I don't think he'll be a 20-21yr old impact player (ala Lucic) but someone who comes in at 23 and handles his own.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:04 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCBlue View Post
the one interview I saw with him...he seemed....uh...intellectually challenged...

but I don't interact with NHL players so I don't know if that has any bearing on his future...

however, a lot of power forwards in the NHL seem quite intelligent in interviews...

hmm....

just the vibe I got.
He comes off as the dumb jock no doubt.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
I don't think that's a particularly strong comparison based on my viewings. Eager separated himself from other big men because of his skating. Kassian, IMO, is held back most by his skating, which is an extremely important difference between the two. I also think Kassian has more hockey sense and offensive upside than Eager. Watching Eager in junior, I can't say I ever saw any real scoring upside. He had great size, skating ability and physical ability, but showed no indications in any way of having scoring line upside.

To me, if we're talking about negative comparisons, I think Kassian reminds me of a more dedicated Matt Zultek.
Zultek? Eeew.

I meant the Eager+offense comparison as a good thing actually -- I've only seen Kassian a few times and saw Eager more and got that Eager was not the offensive player Kassian is, and that Kassian is still willing to initiate (and win) physical battles.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:54 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Im not sure how unstable Eager is, but a lot of people tend to forget Eager was once a 1st round pick in the NHL.

I definately see size, skating, willingness to fight in common. Eager also is able to play with skilled guys.

I think Kassian at worst will be an Eager type role player, I think he may be a Holmstrom type guy in terms of offense though, lots of garbage goals, ability to get under goalies skin.

I think the Morrow comparison, or even Lucic to a lesser extent are a little much at this point. He seems to be more of a Ryan Malone type to me, with better fighting skills.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote