HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GDT: NYR vs. PHI 3/20/04

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 11:52 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
GDT: NYR vs. PHI 3/20/04

vs.

GAME: New York Rangers (25-35-7-7) at Philadelphia Flyers (37-18-14-6).
TIME: Saturday, 3 p.m. EST. On ABC.

Coming off their first home loss in a month, the Philadelphia Flyers hope to move closer to the Atlantic Division title when they host the New York Rangers.
Philadelphia had been unbeaten in its previous six home games (5-0-1) before a 3-2 loss to Toronto on Thursday.

John LeClair and Kim Johnsson scored late in the third period for the Flyers, who are three points behind Tampa Bay for the Eastern Conference lead. Philadelphia also failed to extend its lead over New Jersey in the race for the top spot in the Atlantic.
"We hit three or four goalposts and hit the crossbar," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "But it's hard to fault our team's effort right now."

Besides ending a four-game overall unbeaten streak, Thursday's loss also saw the Flyers lose defenseman Vladimir Malakhov to a broken jaw when he was hit by a puck with 3:55 remaining. Malakhov, acquired from the Rangers on March 8, was to have a plate implanted Friday.

Losing Malakhov is particularly damaging to Philadelphia, which is already without defenseman Eric Desjardins and centers Jeremy Roenick and Keith Primeau. There is no timetable for Desjardins or Primeau to return, but Roenick, who sustained a concussion and a broken jaw on Feb. 12, said he hopes to return for the final week of the regular season.

With Desjardins and Malakhov sidelined, forward Sami Kapanen could play as a defenseman in the playoffs. Kapanen played defense in two games earlier this month. "It adds a whole new dimension to us," Hitchcock said. "Sometimes, you get players like him who can create more offense from the back end than from the front."

The Flyers - 4-0 against the Rangers this season - have won eight of nine at home against New York. The Rangers, out of the playoffs for the seventh consecutive season, haven't done a very good job of playing spoiler, winning just two of their last 11 (2-6-0-3).

One of the few bright spots for New York has been the play of star forward Jaromir Jagr, who scored the tying goal with 2:43 left in regulation in Thursday's 4-3 overtime loss at Washington. Jagr, acquired from the Capitals on Jan. 23, has 12 goals and 24 points in 24 games with the Rangers. New York's penalty killing has been dismal over the past four games, allowing eight goals in 17 short-handed situations. The Rangers will be facing the league's best power-play unit Saturday.

Win %: 0.432 NYR 0.627 PHI

Avg Goals For: 2.568 NYR 2.84 PHI

Avg Goals Against: 3 NYR 2.28 PHI

Power Play % 14.1 NYR (26th) 22.9 PHI (1st)

Penalty Kill % 79.5 NYR (29th) 83.7 PHI (16th)

More Head-To-Head Statistics
TEAM Home Win % Road Win % W L T OTL Points
NY Rangers 0.434 0.431 25 35 7 7 64 (13th in the East)
Philadelphia 0.703 0.553 37 18 14 6 94 (2nd in the East)

Top Scorers

Philadelphia
Player G A Pts +/- PIM
MARK RECCHI -- 26g 45a 71pts
MICHAL HANDZUS -- 17g 38a 55pts
JOHN LECLAIR -- 22g 28a 50pts

NY Rangers
Player G A Pts +/- PIM
JAROMIR JAGR -- 28g 42a 70pts
BOBBY HOLIK -- 21g 29a 50pts
MARK MESSIER -- 17g 24a 41pts

We need this win. No excuses. We have to get the 2 points to get the 6 point lead over the Devils. There is no reason we shouldn't dominate this team with the players they have. Holik is gutless, Jagr just needs one big hit and he is done and Mess is Mess. We should take this one without a problem. If Burke is in net, they have to work extra hard. Hopefully, Mullet man watches and sees how bad Burke is.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:30 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
ill take a win in OT
why? Rangers get a point, we get 2 and the Rangers pull 1 point away from Phoenix for that 5th worst slot for the lottery. i dont want the Rangers in the lottery ,lol

Old
03-20-2004, 02:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I think the Flyers are going to open up another can on them. 6-2 (Handzus, Markov, LeClair, Recchi 2, Zhamnov - Murray, Messier)

Old
03-20-2004, 03:07 AM
adurn

Does anyone think this game will have as much animosity as the last one? Even though Holik is still a Ranger, Simon and Barnaby are gone, so that could take a little of the rough stuff out of the picture. There would really be no one besides Purinton to step in if Brashear wants Holik enough, and the way Brash has been playing lately he will more than likely go after him. Of course with the whole Bertuzzi situation, the refs may be keeping a close eye on that.

4-1 Flyers
Flyers - Kapanen, LeClair, Gagne, Johnsson
Rangers - Poti

Old
03-20-2004, 04:21 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
wow, this thread has started early....I am still drunk from playing beer pong allnight.

anyway, I say we win....5-1 Gagne with 2 goals.

GO FLYERS!

Old
03-20-2004, 08:47 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Flyers 5 (Amonte, LeClair, Recchi, Zhamnov, Kapanen)
Rags 1 (Messier)

Brashear will chase Holik around the ice and try for some retribution for the cheap hit on Primeau, but Bobby will run and turn away at every chance. Hopefully, he won't pull a "Bertuzzi" on Holik.....keep it clean, Donald!

Old
03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
kingjdv

Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by adurn
Does anyone think this game will have as much animosity as the last one? Even though Holik is still a Ranger, Simon and Barnaby are gone, so that could take a little of the rough stuff out of the picture. There would really be no one besides Purinton to step in if Brashear wants Holik enough, and the way Brash has been playing lately he will more than likely go after him. Of course with the whole Bertuzzi situation, the refs may be keeping a close eye on that.

4-1 Flyers
Flyers - Kapanen, LeClair, Gagne, Johnsson
Rangers - Poti
You're forgetting that the Rangers picked up our old buddies Sandy McCarthy and Chris McCallister on waivers. They're not in Brash's class as fighters but the Rangers will probably dress them today.

Old
03-20-2004, 08:59 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

all of you guys all but guarantee a flyers win, don't be so sure. After their performance in the last two games, I'm not thrilled going into today's game.

Like the Pens and Caps teams we couldn't beat, the Rangers have a lot of marginal players looking for a job next year, you know they'll be playing hard.

The Flyers power play the last two games made me think it was 2002 again. No organization whatsoever. Teams finally figured out our complex strategy of an entry pass at the goal line and then a center pass.

The Flyers defense the last two games made me think it was 2002 again. Great goaltender in net, and our d-men give him way too much to deal with. New York still has Jaromir Jagr, and two goofs by our defense (goof-prone) when he is on the ice, could easily become two Ranger goals.

The lead is down to five points and Jersey has a game at hand, i can really start to feel this slip away. The trip to Florida really did the team well

Old
03-20-2004, 10:32 AM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
all of you guys all but guarantee a flyers win, don't be so sure. After their performance in the last two games, I'm not thrilled going into today's game.

Like the Pens and Caps teams we couldn't beat, the Rangers have a lot of marginal players looking for a job next year, you know they'll be playing hard.

The Flyers power play the last two games made me think it was 2002 again. No organization whatsoever. Teams finally figured out our complex strategy of an entry pass at the goal line and then a center pass.

The Flyers defense the last two games made me think it was 2002 again. Great goaltender in net, and our d-men give him way too much to deal with. New York still has Jaromir Jagr, and two goofs by our defense (goof-prone) when he is on the ice, could easily become two Ranger goals.

The lead is down to five points and Jersey has a game at hand, i can really start to feel this slip away. The trip to Florida really did the team well
Agreed! We can't let this one slip away. The Rags will come out hard and play tough even though they suck. We just need to focus and get the two points. WE CAN'T HAVE ANYONE FREAK OUT OUT THERE OK, WE'VE GOTTA TO KEEP OUR COMPOSURE, WE'VE COME TOO FAR, THERE'S TOO MUCH TO LOSE, WE'VE GOTTA KEEP OUR COMPOSURE!!!

Old
03-20-2004, 11:09 AM
capn89*

If Fridge or Brash lay a sweet, career ending elbow into the temple of Bobby Holik, I'll be completely happy with whatever results come from the game. That squeeky voiced home needs to die.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv
You're forgetting that the Rangers picked up our old buddies Sandy McCarthy and Chris McCallister on waivers. They're not in Brash's class as fighters but the Rangers will probably dress them today.
After Primeau broke McCallister's nose in camp a few years ago, Chris is barely in the same class of fighter as the Delta Dental Ice Girls.

Old
03-20-2004, 11:54 AM
donelikedinner

i dont care what the score is, all i want is a win. go flyers!!!

Old
03-20-2004, 12:06 PM
yvan74

Hitch as to go with esche! we gotta show these guys that this won't be a game they will have any chances of winning!

Old
03-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
If Fridge or Brash lay a sweet, career ending elbow into the temple of Bobby Holik, I'll be completely happy with whatever results come from the game. That squeeky voiced home needs to die.

Haven´t we learned anything from the Bertuzzi incident

Old
03-20-2004, 12:31 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Haven´t we learned anything from the Bertuzzi incident
Yep... that when pieces of **** who don't get the proper punishment (by the NHL) it leads to bigger, worse things.

Old
03-20-2004, 12:58 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

http://espn.go.com/i/abcsports/maps/NHL-03-20-04WEB.pdf

SOB note to Toronto chapter:

Looks like we should be able to catch this game on ABC (fingers crossed)!

-dutch-

Old
03-20-2004, 01:04 PM
yvan74

so burke gets the start? Man i have a feeling this won't be pretty!

Old
03-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
I saw that Burke start comming,oh well,free water ice at Rita's today!!!!!

Flyers 4(Gagné,Handzus,Fedoruk,Timander or Johnsson)
Rangers 0

Old
03-20-2004, 02:03 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzapieZeppelin18
I saw that Burke start comming,oh well,free water ice at Rita's today!!!!!

Flyers 4(Gagné,Handzus,Fedoruk,Timander or Johnsson)
Rangers 0

Esche is starting.

-dutch-

Old
03-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Nikkowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
Esche is starting.

-dutch-
Thank goodness,hitting heads on desks works!!

Old
03-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Nikkowar

ABC games suck,too many commercials!!!! :mad:

Old
03-20-2004, 02:13 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
cool Tampa lost to Boston today...the problem is, with the win, Boston is now ahead of us by a point.

Tampa still has a 3 point lead, so if we win today, we will be a point behind the Bolts and a point ahead of the Bruins.

GO FLYERS!

Old
03-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Winston Wolf

Lapointe!!!!

Old
03-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Winston Wolf

Lapointe (Sharp, Radivojevic)

Old
03-20-2004, 02:24 PM
yvan74

woo hoo esche in nets!!! I knew Hitch would come to his senses!

Closed Thread