HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

per TSN - Flyers have contacted the agent of Ray Emery

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Ray Emery 'possibly' joining the Flyers?
I think he'd be a great replacement to Biron as a starter 29 18.13%
Maybe as a backup 34 21.25%
NO THANK YOU 97 60.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Junky, I see your point. I think Briere's contract was not as bad as people make it out to be though. I am hesitant to move him as well for one reason. He could be tremendous value in the last two years of his deal when he makes 3 and 2 million respectively. With the salary cap how it is, no player is worth ten million, and Briere is not worth 8 million. But the Flyers have already eaten those years, so let's keep him at 7 million, with a cap hit closer to 6.5. If he produces at a near PPG pace like he has, and plays 60 games a year, 7 million isn't that bad. The last two years are great for the Flyers if he is playing at close to his current level.
You do realize that you're talking about a 37 and 38-year-old Danny Briere, right?

With few exceptions, there are two kinds of forwards that survive to contribute deep into their 30s and beyond:

1. Big, enduring warhorses (Leclair, Knuble, Andreychuk)

2. Durable skill players who beef up and adapt (Roenick, Recchi, Modano)

Briere is a 5'9'' 31-year-old with durability issues and nagging injuries. He mustered 95 points in 81 games in a contract year, and I don't think he'll ever approach those totals again. This year, I imagined him as a guy that we could run the marathon without - and, then, add him for a playoff sprint. But, alas, in 6 playoff games he mustered 4 points and 8 penalty minutes.

Briere lives on the tools of youth.

I can't imagine the kind of player he'll be near 40. My guess is this: A slow, non-physical, one-way forward playing a few games a season, limping off after every single shift... if he's still in the league at all.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
I can't imagine the kind of player he'll be near 40. My guess is this: A slow, non-physical, one-way forward playing a few games a season, limping off after every single shift... if he's still in the league at all.
I definitely acknowledge the possibility. We'll have to see.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I definitely acknowledge the possibility. We'll have to see.
But the possibility also exists where he comes into Camp fully healed and has another good year, like the year prior to the groin plagued one, only with the new team break in period over, and maybe a full year beside Giroux... Also the possibility exists where he goes on to have a long and good career well into his late Thirties.

Briere proved something to me his first season when he played through a sever shoulder injury -- one where he was unable to do his usual goal celebration arm pump -- Danny missed little time and had a very good postseason, leading the team in points.

Limiting the type of players that play well in their late Thirties to players is fine on average... but with the 'New' NHL and its crackdown on obstruction that allows more freedom to little players such as Danny can add years. Since we are still in the early stages of the 'New' NHL, time will tell if Danny will be able to help prove that the old guidelines are no longer valid... if in fact they ever really were as stated in that previous post. I agree with you that we will have to wait and see.

The type injury Briere had last season is not one limited to small players... and is one that takes quite a bit of time to fully heal to the point where it doesn't effect play and doesn't reoccur easily. I personally would love to see Briere playing a key role on this team, one that doesn't rely on him to be the number one center... or even one that puts him on a wing. I like what I saw with him mentoring Giroux and was impressed with how they fed off each other; there is a lot of speed on a line that has those two water-bugs on it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:48 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
But the possibility also exists where he comes into Camp fully healed and has another good year, like the year prior to the groin plagued one, only with the new team break in period over, and maybe a full year beside Giroux... Also the possibility exists where he goes on to have a long and good career well into his late Thirties.

Briere proved something to me his first season when he played through a sever shoulder injury -- one where he was unable to do his usual goal celebration arm pump -- Danny missed little time and had a very good postseason, leading the team in points.

Limiting the type of players that play well in their late Thirties to players is fine on average... but with the 'New' NHL and its crackdown on obstruction that allows more freedom to little players such as Danny can add years. Since we are still in the early stages of the 'New' NHL, time will tell if Danny will be able to help prove that the old guidelines are no longer valid... if in fact they ever really were as stated in that previous post. I agree with you that we will have to wait and see.

The type injury Briere had last season is not one limited to small players... and is one that takes quite a bit of time to fully heal to the point where it doesn't effect play and doesn't reoccur easily. I personally would love to see Briere playing a key role on this team, one that doesn't rely on him to be the number one center... or even one that puts him on a wing. I like what I saw with him mentoring Giroux and was impressed with how they fed off each other; there is a lot of speed on a line that has those two water-bugs on it.
I like you dude. Finally some intelligent posts around here. Most people just state their opinions based by nothing but grudges. Dont get me wrong, there are alot of smart ones here, just some like the ******** their way through everything.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I like you dude. Finally some intelligent posts around here. Most people just state their opinions based by nothing but grudges. Dont get me wrong, there are alot of smart ones here, just some like the ******** their way through everything.

Thanks for the kind words... I don't always succeed, but I like to try.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote