HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not great news if we meet NJD in 1st Rd

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2004, 08:25 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Not great news if we meet NJD in 1st Rd

From the New Jersey board:

The Star Ledger reported that Scott Stevens will be returning for the playoffs..This is the news everyone has been waiting for....With Rafalski and Stevens returning..the Devils should get a Huge emotional lift.

There is a 50/50 chance of us having to face the Devils in the first round. This is not the news I wanted to hear about Stevens. Let's hope we get #1 or they move up.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:03 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
From the New Jersey board:

The Star Ledger reported that Scott Stevens will be returning for the playoffs..This is the news everyone has been waiting for....With Rafalski and Stevens returning..the Devils should get a Huge emotional lift.

There is a 50/50 chance of us having to face the Devils in the first round. This is not the news I wanted to hear about Stevens. Let's hope we get #1 or they move up.
Even with those two clowns in the lineup we'd take em this year. I would still rather face them then Montreal.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:23 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Even with those two clowns in the lineup we'd take em this year. I would still rather face them then Montreal.
Careful what you wish for popi, Phili has never come out ahead of the Devils in a playoff series. If Stevens is out, then you'll have us.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:43 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
Careful what you wish for popi, Phili has never come out ahead of the Devils in a playoff series. If Stevens is out, then you'll have us.

We'd have you with Stevens Holik Mogilny and any other past superstar in your lineup. For once we are confident in our goaltending. This hasn't happened since the early 80's. On top of the goaltending we have a stacked lineup, 4 strong lines and 8 defenceman of all types. A great coach and a well disciplined and determined team. This is proven by how well we have played and how we are still first and second while battling injuries to key guys for sometime now. Our captain, our best offensive player and also our best and most experienced defencman. In my opinion after the Islanders I would want to face Jersey. Montreal is scary, Tampa is scary, Ottawa, Toronto and Boston is scary but Jersey just isn't as scary anymore and our players know it.

Old
03-23-2004, 10:51 AM
sinisalo

They still have Brodeur.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisalo
They still have Brodeur.
and they're still in 7th. This is a different team without Stevens in the lineup.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:02 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Whatever you're smoking, can I have some? Speaking as a Bruins fan there is no way I would want to see NJ in round one when the other alternative is Montreal.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:18 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21
Whatever you're smoking, can I have some? Speaking as a Bruins fan there is no way I would want to see NJ in round one when the other alternative is Montreal.
What? You are the few and the proud then. Most would rather face Jersey then Montreal. Theodore is Brodeurs equal. Montreal is faster, plays smarter, better and ar alot more offensive. Montreal is a younger Detroit team. Albeit, not as physical but they play a fast paced game. Montreal and Tampa would be the funnest to watch.

All this from a bruins fan? Montreal put you out two years ago when they weren't half the team they are now.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:42 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Theodore is Brodeurs equal.
I want some of what you're smoking...

Theodore, until he conclusively proves otherwise, is most certainly NOT Brodeur's equal. That's not a knock on Theodore...it's a testament to how good Brodeur is, and how much he has accomplished. There's no arguing with 3 rings.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:48 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish
I want some of what you're smoking...

Theodore, until he conclusively proves otherwise, is most certainly NOT Brodeur's equal. That's not a knock on Theodore...it's a testament to how good Brodeur is, and how much he has accomplished. There's no arguing with 3 rings.
When did I mention anything about thier careers? Brodeurs three cups doesn't guarantee him another one this year, anymore then Theodore with one playoff round win. Going into the playoffs they are equalk. Either can steal a game, series, overtimes etc. Each can let in a softie here and there these days as well. They are on equal terms going into this years playoffs regardless of what they have won what they have eaten and who they know.

Old
03-23-2004, 11:56 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
you would rather face the defending stanley cup champs? the team who always turns it up in the playoffs? the best goalie in the entire league? ummm yea, I'd take montreal, thanks

Old
03-23-2004, 12:00 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76
you would rather face the defending stanley cup champs? the team who always turns it up in the playoffs? the best goalie in the entire league? ummm yea, I'd take montreal, thanks
Then you obviously haven't watched enough of Montreal. I live 1.5 hours from Montreal and believe me they are a great looking team who is just trying to find themselves with Kovalev. Their speed is better then Ottawa's and thier amazing passing is Detoit like.

Old
03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
DARKSIDE

Quote:
And Most Devil fans including myself, are hoping for the failures in the first round. So, lets hope we both get our wish. Playoffs are a different animal and lets see Esche under the spotlight! Can't wait!! Devils in 6!!!

Old
03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
capn89*

This year is the Flyers year.

Old
03-23-2004, 12:59 PM
tytech

My point is simple. While the devs are probably a better team then Montreal and would probably beat Montreal, the Flyers would have an easier time beating NJ then beating Montreal. Philly would take Jersey in 5 or 6 but it would take 6 or 7 to beat Montreal.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
the Flyers havent even shown they can beat TB yet.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:06 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
even if Stevens comes back, will he really be himself? I mean, being out this long has to do something to his game, not to mention that he might be a little leery of getting to physical.

I myself would like to see Montreal anyday of the week over NJ. hopefully, we will be playing the Islanders when we take first overall... :p

Old
03-23-2004, 01:11 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
even if Stevens comes back, will he really be himself? I mean, being out this long has to do something to his game, not to mention that he might be a little leery of getting to physical.

I myself would like to see Montreal anyday of the week over NJ. hopefully, we will be playing the Islanders when we take first overall... :p

Stevens already wasn't "himself" this year. He is now greatly overratted. He is valuable due to experience, intimidation and penalty kill crease clearings. That's it. I take Malakhov over Stevens these days

Old
03-23-2004, 01:20 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Stevens already wasn't "himself" this year. He is now greatly overratted. He is valuable due to experience, intimidation and penalty kill crease clearings. That's it. I take Malakhov over Stevens these days
well, I don't know about all that...

I was just saying that dew to the severe concussion he had, he might not be the old Stevens that we know and love...err..hate.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Coburnfan05

I am not scared of the debbies or the habs...even if Stevens is back he won't be himself having been out half the year and Brodeur has not been in venzia form.

Philly has owned the Habs since the LeClair deal and as fast as they are so are we...kinda funny how everyone assumes we are still "the big bad flyers". This team has taken a u-turn and has added tons of speed over the last couple of seasons and we can keep up with anyone.

1st round matchup I would rather face the habs then the debs...I think the debs would be a more physical series and wouldn't want the team to get warn out like last year.

just my 2 cents.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:31 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
And Most Devil fans including myself, are hoping for the failures in the first round.
If you can't refrain from insulting the Flyers, then please don't post in the Flyers forum. Have some respect.

Quote:
Philly would take Jersey in 5 or 6 but it would take 6 or 7 to beat Montreal.
I'd agree. Habs have a ton of scorers on their team in Riberio, Ryder, Kovalev. The defense is good as well. Theodore is back to his Hart-like play. We would have a tougher time against MON than we would against the Devils. No longer is in the players heads that this team is unbeatable. It's gone. The only team that might get in their heads in TB, that's it.

Quote:
Exactly. I am very excited that our guys are coming back (JR and Primeau). Do I think that these guys will be back to the way they usually play? I don't know with Primeau. His job is to play a physical game, I can't imagine him to be all gung ho going back into a game where he could get injured again. Same applies to Stevens. He won't be the same out there. The only difference is for us is that without JR and Primeau in the lineup, we know we can win against top teams. The Devils haven't as of late. Our guys have come up big this year with all the injuries we have had, mostly to the facial region. Even throughout all of it, we are still first in the division and have a chance to take back the #1 seed in the Conference. The Devils have appeared to look lost without Stevens and sometimes offense was scarce for this team.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

It's the Devils. Our history with them should be more than enough to not want to face them in the 1st round.

Even if they don't look as strong as in recent years, I'm still weary about them.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Brad*

I still think the Flyers have a very good chance to finish first in the conference. In fact, by the end of tonight, they might be first place.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:42 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
It's the Devils. Our history with them should be more than enough to not want to face them in the 1st round.

Even if they don't look as strong as in recent years, I'm still weary about them.

That's just it. We play them, play them well and beat them fairly easily we would be on top of th world. However Montreal could hand us a tougher game then Jersey becasue we would be harder to mach up to Montreal the NJ. What does a win over Montreal do for us mentally? Nothing! Over NJ, it would be huge.
We can beat NJ at it's own style of game. Montreal would be a tougher team to play.

Old
03-23-2004, 01:52 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
My point is simple. While the devs are probably a better team then Montreal and would probably beat Montreal, the Flyers would have an easier time beating NJ then beating Montreal. Philly would take Jersey in 5 or 6 but it would take 6 or 7 to beat Montreal.
How can you say that so easily? The Flyers were 3-2-1 against the Devils this year. Furthermore, the last two Philadelphia wins in that disrupted home-and-home series were games the Devils could have won. It's hard to say how things might turn out in a best of seven. Scott Stevens and Brian Rafalski will make it much harder for teams to score on the Devils. Stevens has also been known to turn aournd a playoff game with a big hit. That coupled with a pair of Elias goals might be all the Devils need to get past Philadelphia in seven.

Closed Thread