HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hawks and Havlat talking 8-10 year extension

Old
05-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Hawks and Havlat talking 8-10 year extension

From the Chicago Sun-Times

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hocke...wknt03.article

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:07 PM
40oz

with medical.

EDIT: I kid, I kid. Good idea, keeps cap hit low and he's been healthy recently.

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Rickety Cricket

I guess he chose the right time to have a healthy year.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:10 PM
pwallll

HUGE risk. Get Kane and Toews signed 8-10 years first.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Unless he takes a major cap hit I would be very, very weary!

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Ishdul

This reminds me of the NBA/MLB, where you only need to do well in the last year of your contract.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
8-10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:22 PM
dubey
Registered Genius

Well this CBA was a gigantic failure. Holland figured it out and now every team is going to follow.

Why should Kovalchuk and Nash re-up with their current clubs when the Leafs can sign them to 15 year deals?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
with medical.

EDIT: I kid, I kid. Good idea, keeps cap hit low and he's been healthy recently.
Premiums ought to be high on that insurance policy.

No doubt, Havlat's been lights out this year, and I hope he, like every NHL player, gets every penny he can earn. But to ignore his recent and fairly prolonged medical past would be unwise, IMO.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Brilliant. First Sign Huet and Campbell to those atrocious deals, now get wowed by Havlat's one healthy year. Unless it's prolonged for the cap hit to be something like 4 million it's a horrible idea.

Wonder where they'll get the dough to resign Kane, Toews, Ladd, Bolland, Barker, Versteeg, Seabrook and Keith.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Well this CBA was a gigantic failure. Holland figured it out and now every team is going to follow.
Errrr, don't quite know what you're getting at. We don't know the salary, much less the structure of the contract and we only have a range for the years. Chicago is obviously going to have a ton of problems keeping Toews/Kane/Seabrook/Keith with the money they're paying for Huet/Campbell/apparently Havlat.

Quote:
Why should Kovalchuk and Nash re-up with their current clubs when the Leafs can sign them to 15 year deals?
You know who else can sign them to 15 year deals? Columbus and Atlanta. I don't think anyone will have a problem finding guys to spend money on and I don't see what Toronto can offer that's so special in terms of a contract.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Alex28*

Quote:

Because Kovalchuk hates Toronto with a passion and Nash is probably not in the mood for becoming a part in the great 40 year rebuild after seeing the light at the end of the 8 year old one?

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

This would be pretty brutal for the Hawks if true.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:00 AM
elias026

hes gonna sign with NJ so he can play with his bff, Elias

and they will make weird noises every interview

elias026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:02 AM
massivegoonery

**** it, I say.. Sign him up.

Marty was a model player this year and the Hawks wouldn't be talking long-term deal if the shoulder thing wasn't just a distant memory. If an extended term is what it takes to keep Marty in Chicago until his retirement at a reasonable cap hit (I'm thinking between $4-5 million), then I'[m all for it.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:05 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Premiums ought to be high on that insurance policy.

No doubt, Havlat's been lights out this year, and I hope he, like every NHL player, gets every penny he can earn. But to ignore his recent and fairly prolonged medical past would be unwise, IMO.
Indirectly the injury history can work in the hawks favor if they willing to spend to the cap. If every year Havlat gets injured for an extended period of time, it gives the Hawks wiggle room to cover his salary for the time he is out meaning they might be able to add an extra body or 2 come deadline time. That being said you are risking the chances he gets injured right before the playoffs or the injuries start taking a toll on his body

I am also guessing 8-10 years means he will sign at a much reduced rate then if he signed for 2-3 years

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 12:20 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Havlat definitely had a good season, but signing an injury prone forward long term is dangerous. Briere? If this is true, they're better make sure they don't overpay him. Last thing Chicago is an unnecessarily high salary that could be better used on resigning some of their youth.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 01:40 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
hes gonna sign with NJ so he can play with his bff, Elias

and they will make weird noises every interview
off topic i know, but why does it sound like pete weber (predators announcer) in the beginning of that clip? what is that from?

just thought it was strange

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 02:56 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Wonder where they'll get the dough to resign Kane, Toews, Ladd, Bolland, Barker, Versteeg, Seabrook and Keith.
GM DT probably got a sense at the trade deadline that he can ship out Campbell, especially if he included some high draft picks (or K Beach) in the package (its not like they are lacking in quality kids). FLA is a possible destination I think...they are going to loose J-Bo and the picks they could get from CHI would make up in part for what they missed out in not deadline-dealing J-Bo. Call it a hunch.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 07:53 AM
8BostonRocker24

If the cap hit is anything over $3.0 million, Chicago is ****ing ********. This the same organization that signed Brain freaking Campbell to an 8 year deal at $7,142,875. Completely short-sighted when you have 3 defensemen that are as good, if not better in Keith, Seabrook, and Barker. Are you going to tell me, those three are not going to look at that deal and say: "I'm better then him, I want at least what he's getting"
Barker, Seabrook and Keith have all taken more shifts then Campbell these playoffs, and only Barker, out of the 3, is averaging less time on ice then Campbell at 17:15/game vs. 17:54/game.

Since the lockout, Havlat has play 18, 56, 35 and 81 games in a season. Odd, his one healthy season since the lockout has been in a contract year!

I'm not even going to start with the goalie situation and signing Huet to 4 year $5,625,000/year deal...

/Rant

As a hockey fan, it's frustrating to watch what Chicago is doing. I do not want to see players like Huet, Campbell, and Havlat cost the team their great young talent. I was looking forward to seeing Barker, Keith, and Seabrook play together for the next 10 years. IMO, that's not going to happen.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Sony Eriksson*

That is the DiPietro kiss of death......

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
GM DT probably got a sense at the trade deadline that he can ship out Campbell, especially if he included some high draft picks (or K Beach) in the package (its not like they are lacking in quality kids). FLA is a possible destination I think...they are going to loose J-Bo and the picks they could get from CHI would make up in part for what they missed out in not deadline-dealing J-Bo. Call it a hunch.
What I'm hearing / reading is Campbell will be shipped out to New Jersey. It sounds like Jersey fans want him too... I guess they have not watched him play in San Jose or Chicago.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

If it keeps the cap hit below $5M, this could be a good deal. He's clearly a valuable player for the Hawks.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
That is the DiPietro kiss of death......
Ditto, learn from others mistakes.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 08:09 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
What I'm hearing / reading is Campbell will be shipped out to New Jersey. It sounds like Jersey fans want him too... I guess they have not watched him play in San Jose or Chicago.
Thats a hell of a cap hit for a long time....doesn't seem like a Lamoriello type of move, especially for a player like Campbell who doesn't seem like a Devils type players.. There are not many teams who have the cap space to take on that contract, also I woulden't be surprised if he negotiated a NTC or a limited trading clause allowing him to be traded to only a certain amount of teams. Thats's a 7.14 million dollar cap hit till 2015-2016....Just check the amount of teams who have room for that contract next year, and it drastically reduces their options.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote