HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hawks and Havlat talking 8-10 year extension

Old
05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Hal Incandenza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Are you joking? Did you watch the team at all last year?

I'm not even going to respond to all the idiocy regarding Kane, you guys should know better than that by now.
Kane is no better than 5th best player on the team, do you disagree? I would probably take Sharp over him as well.

I can see where the D corps did make better progress than expected, obviously this is mostly due to Barker actually turning into a player. He will be a solid PP d-man who is decent enough on D, and with DK/BS looking as good or better than expected, it does make us look fairly set on D. Campbell adds to the package for sure, but we'd be much better off getting a good defensive D-man for ~3-4M if possible to round out the back end, also hopefully draft to fill the system out a bit on the blueline.

Of course the D would improve a lot next year just by cutting Matt Walker. Tough guy, but pretty poor player, doesn't belong on a contending team.

Hal Incandenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
Kane is no better than 5th best player on the team, do you disagree? I would probably take Sharp over him as well.
I've got no problem with saying that, it sounds about right.. if not a little high. But he's a kid. People in this thread are suggesting that the Hawks will trade him or let him walk for a couple of picks. If by "take Sharp over him" you mean right now, in the playoffs... well, no - Kane's outplaying Sharp so far - but I can see your point. But if you mean take him as in long-term, trade him over Sharp, you're a fool.

As to the "no one could have predicted the play of Keith and Seabrook", you'd have to be pretty blind to not notice Keith last year . The coaches noticed him when they selected him for the all-star game. The sportswriters noticed him when he came in 12th in Norris balloting.

As far as Matt Walker goes, I'm with you 100%. He's just too slow and he drags Barker (who's not the fastest skater either) down with him.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
I've got no problem with saying that, it sounds about right.. if not a little high. But he's a kid. People in this thread are suggesting that the Hawks will trade him or let him walk for a couple of picks. If by "take Sharp over him" you mean right now, in the playoffs... well, no - Kane's outplaying Sharp so far - but I can see your point. But if you mean take him as in long-term, trade him over Sharp, you're a fool.

As to the "no one could have predicted the play of Keith and Seabrook", you'd have to be pretty blind to not notice Keith last year . The coaches noticed him when they selected him for the all-star game. The sportswriters noticed him when he came in 12th in Norris balloting.

As far as Matt Walker goes, I'm with you 100%. He's just too slow and he drags Barker (who's not the fastest skater either) down with him.
This.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
smokes lets go

i guess GMDT just represses the thought of a salary cap when handing out contracts. How in the hell are they going to keep toews, kane, kieth etc. when they hand out atrocious and beyond down right stupid contracts to huet, campbell and now Havlat. I'll admit he's a great player, but 1 injury free season conveniently in his contract year and he is now worth an 8-10 year deal?

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

Like I said - I considered both Keith & Seabrook as top pair guys. Both guys stepped it up significantly (especially Seabrook in the P/O's), and since you need 6 d-men, I don't think that signing Campbell at a more reasonable salary & term would have been a bad move. Huet is obviously a very different case.

Then add in the progression of Barker and Hjalmarsson, and it looks even worse. No one would have projected either guys to be anywhere close to their play this year.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Anything that is double digits in length or close to it is not worth it....but I guess teams might never learn.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:55 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Hey Chicago -- Any more news/rumors on the Blackhawks re-signing Havlat to this long-term deal?

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:02 AM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Hey Chicago -- Any more news/rumors on the Blackhawks re-signing Havlat to this long-term deal?

2 of the hockey writers have a blog they post on. 1 of them (not sure which) noted they agreed to not talk contract during the playoffs.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:36 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I though both guys were legit top pairing d-men, but didn't think either one should be on the top PP unit. I didn't think that Seabrook would look as good as he has, or that Keith would look like a Norris candidate the first 50-60 games of the season.
Add in Barker turning it around and making huge strides from last year (although he'll still have significant brain cramps), and going into this year, I think that you can make a case for Campbell being at least as valuable as DK or BS.

That obviously is no longer the case, but people acting like they expected Barker to be one of the best power point producer per minuted played are crazy.
Keith should have been a Norris candidate for two years running. This guy gets so overlooked because he's always been a "does the small things right" kind of defenseman. He doesn't hit like Phaneuf or score like Green but he does a little of everything and it seems like he always makes the right decision. If he isn't a Norris candidate next year I might just kill send a nasty letter to Lidstrom.

You can never be too careful.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:37 AM
PotaGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
Keith should have been a Norris candidate for two years running. This guy gets so overlooked because he's always been a "does the small things right" kind of defenseman. He doesn't hit like Phaneuf or score like Green but he does a little of everything and it seems like he always makes the right decision. If he isn't a Norris candidate next year I might just kill send a nasty letter to Lidstrom.

You can never be too careful.
I'm calling the police on you.

PotaGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:11 AM
DaHabMan

we should wait for the numbers to come out before bashing the hawks management because who knows....havlat might go fot he longer deal where the cap hit is low instead of a campbell type contract

DaHabMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
These long term deals are ridiculous. Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of mortgaging your future for a favorable cap hit today?
No I think there are many in your same line of thought. Unfortunately none of them are NHL GMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
we should wait for the numbers to come out before bashing the hawks management because who knows....havlat might go fot he longer deal where the cap hit is low instead of a campbell type contract
Yeah but it is still a looong contract to a historically brittle player. So Chicago fans better hope it is a lower annual salary or at least front heavy so he can be movable in a few years. But with Tallon's recent signing history I'm not so confident. Maybe it is all some master plan in him hoping to get a Stanley Cup in the next couple of seasons and then collect a buttload of draft picks when Chi cannot match the inevitable offer sheets to Toews, Kane or Keith.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:54 AM
smokes lets go

get toews signed to a 15 year, $6 million a year deal as well as kieth to a 6 year, $5.5 million a year deal before you go ahead and sign Havlat which can go either way in terms of success.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 01:06 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
Wow, I can't believe so many people think this would be a bad deal for the Hawks. I think many people are letting last years admittedly bad signings of Campbell and Huet cloud their vision. The Hawks have made the playoffs now, it's not like trying to get somebody to play in Toronto (couldn't help it). Lets look at a few of the arguments that caught my eye:
<snipped for brevity>
So the gist I'm getting there is that you'd rather have oft-injured Martin Havlat at $4-5M over Patrick Kane at $6M?

I really do hope Dave Tallon listens to you. It'll make the Central Division that much easier for Detroit to win.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote