HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

simeon next season

Old
05-04-2009, 02:23 PM
kingfisher

vCash: 500
simeon next season

hey guys, congrats on round two,

in vancouver im looking forward to watching this next game of the series between you guys and the pens.

I've got a question about Varlamov and your goaltending depth. I understand Varlamov was a top prospect, but I can't see that this was forseen, him stepping in and being so dominant in a #1 role in the playoffs.

First off, are you surprised? When did they draft him?

Not knowing what happens during these playoffs, whether the caps win or not, does Varlamov sit at number 1 starting next season? Or do they keep theodore in strong rotation, like the blackhawks do with khabi and huet?

I don't really believe in "spoiling a player" by putting too much on his shoulders, but when you look at Price, you can't help but feel for a guy when he's got so much on the line.

with success comes expectations, and next year, no matter how the caps do this year, the weight will be on the team to WIN!

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 02:29 PM
El Maestro

Nope it wasn't a surprise, we knew for a long time that Varly has a huge potential. Now he has clearly proved that he was better than Theodore, and imo he definitely should be our no 1 next season but we can't know what will BB decide after this offseason. It's too early to tell.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I keep Theordore and let them share the load next year. 82 games is a LONG season.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
You keep Theodore because 1) you can't move that contract until late in the season, 2) he only plays well in the last year of his contract. If both things happen, gravy. Flip him for a high draft pick at the deadline to some team with a void at goal looking to make a playoff run.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I think 95% of the fans assumed that Varly would be the full-time #2 goaltender next year with the expectation that he would be the #1 the year after, once Theo's contract expired. So, when you have a 20 year old who you fully expect to be your #1 goaltender in 2 seasons, you can't be totally stunned when he jumps in a little early and starts looking good. The kid is a 1st round draft pick with a ton of talent. HF has him ranked something like the 30th overall prospect, league-wide.

Now, are people surprised he's been THIS good with this little experience in such a pressure packed situation? Sure, most people probably are. But not in the way you'd be stunned to see Dan Cloutier do it. Varly's just young and raw. He's got all the tools.

As for the updated plans for next year, I really don't know. I seriously doubt they could move Theo if they wanted to, but I am not sure they necessarily want to. Varalmov has not proven himself durable yet, so there's no way he's going to be ready to carry a 60+ game load next year. More likely, each guy is going to get a bunch of games.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
frasnap

If there's one thing Montreal has taught us, it's that you don't hand the goaltending reigns of a potentially Cup-contending team to a second year guy, no matter what the circumstances, without a solid, start-worthy backup.

The Caps won't be able to make that mistake because of Theo's poor play and heavy contract. Columbus may have already (though I think very highly of Steve Mason)...

Ed: Although I guess you'd be hard-pressed to call Columbus a legit Cup contender, barring something major in the offseason...

frasnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
You keep Theodore because 1) you can't move that contract until late in the season, 2) he only plays well in the last year of his contract. If both things happen, gravy. Flip him for a high draft pick at the deadline to some team with a void at goal looking to make a playoff run.
Bingo... but then this assumes we let Johnson go this year... and if we move Threeormore at the deadline next year, then we enter the playoffs (all looking too far ahead, mind you) next year with Varly and who? Neuvirth?

Between Johnson and Jose, neither factor in our long term plans, but we'll be lucky if we can get anything for either of them with the logjam we are going to have next year.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Devil Dancer

I don't see how they can keep Johnson. Varly has certainly earned a roster spot, and getting rid of Theo would be a mistake. He's a proven (regular season) veteran with a one year, manageable cap hit contract. And so far he has been a great team player.

I think you have to keep Theo to insure against injury/meltdown by a 21 year old goalie with 13 games NHL experience coming off an injury-filled breakout season.

EDIT: Maybe let Johnny sign wherever he can for one season, then bring him back for 2010-2011 to back up Varly? Stranger things have happened.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

As for the situation next year, Theo will be very hard to move. But if he could be moved without giving anything extra up, I'd probably move him assuming Johnson wants to stay (it sounds like he does).

I'd rather have Varlamov and Johnson split the starts, and maybe use the extra cap space to help solidify the D (upgrade over Jurcina or Morrisonn perhaps). Of course that only works if Johnson recovers fully (looks good so far it sounds like) and Varlamov stays healthy and doesn't get rattled in any big way during the playoffs.

If that can work, I envision a ~ 41/31/10 split between Varlamov, Johnson, and Neuvirth next season. Give Varly a full starter's load if he looks like he can handle it, but I trust Johnson to take half the starts or more if need be, and Neuvirth will definitely need to get into some more games as well here and there, so that will help manage the playing time if that's the way the organization goes. Maybe even Holtby if he looks like he's adjusting well to the pro ranks, at least as an injury replacement.

I don't know how realistic all that is, truthfully I don't see Theo being moved and I'm sure he'll play reasonably well next season if he's here (all in all he gave us more than many expected him to this season), but I'd like the cap space if anything reasonable can be worked out.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Devil Dancer

I wonder how much Johnny wants? His numbers are pretty good for a backup. 12-6-2, .908 2.81.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 04:32 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

It would be great if they could sign and stash Johnson on IR, and bring him in when they trade Theo at the deadline.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 04:49 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I wonder how much Johnny wants? His numbers are pretty good for a backup. 12-6-2, .908 2.81.
I'm hoping he takes a one year, hometown (well, his wife's home town) discount so that he can rebuild his record/role and cash in for a final big contract somewhere else, if the Caps make room to sign him of course. I wouldn't be surprised to see him look at a short deal now post-injury regardless of where he goes, though.

His numbers this year show he'd make an excellent backup almost anywhere. If he really has been playing injured for the past 5 years, though, this coming season could be his big chance to show he can become a starter again.

If a spot for him becomes open in DC, it's basically the perfect chance: a team that knows him and (presumably, given the stretches over which he carried us this season) trusts him, a team that will likely be setup for some success regardless of the goaltending quality (as we were this year), a team that might be relying on a young goaltender without a track record of endurance play (yet) meaning plenty of playing time for him if he can stay, etc. From his perspective that seems like an excellent situation in which to amass some playing time and stats (most importantly GP and W) for a year to set himself up for the future.

Then again, maybe it's not worth the risk healthwise. Maybe he looks to take on a multi-year deal somewhere else in case he can't bring his game back up to pre-injury levels. It's an interesting question.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
You mean "Simyon." Thought he was a stretch going in the 1st round. He looked terrible at the super series, and was then left off the U-20 WJC roster - thought he was a dud. Then last year I watched him for Lokomotiv in the playoffs and new that he would become a stud.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Den

The name is Semyon or Semion, whatever, but not Si....

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:13 AM
jaana

I think yesterday he had his most impressive game yet, I'm not doubting him any longer. He can deal with this job.

jaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:23 AM
txpd

1. Its never forseen that a player this young can be have an impact like this. Because of his age it can disappear as quickly as it came. One game at a time it the thought of the day. If you forsee, you end up with Carey Price. Cam Ward was unforseen. This is more like Cam Ward so far.

2. I think the Caps will find a way to keep Johnson and let Theodore go. Whether it be trade or buyout. Johnson has proven to be a capable backup who can carry the starting load for a good stretch. He also is committed to the franchise and wants very much to stay. Beyond next season there could be room for Johson for several seasons as the veteran back up depending on Nuevirth.

Keep in mind that McPhee has been very much about continuity of the roster. As little movement as possible. Johnson can stay for two or three seasons while Theodore is a max of one.

I don't think you can trust Varlamov as the #1 anymore than the Canes could trust Ward and Ward and Carolina struggled as a result. That said, Varlamov is not going to start in Hershey next season and he is not going to ride the bench as the #2 in Washington. He is going to play the majority of games in DC.

3. With the Cap as tight as it is, the Caps have less money tied up in goaltending with Varlamov, Johnson and Theo's buyout cap hit than with Theo and Varlamov's salaries.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:08 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
1. Its never forseen that a player this young can be have an impact like this. Because of his age it can disappear as quickly as it came. One game at a time it the thought of the day. If you forsee, you end up with Carey Price. Cam Ward was unforseen. This is more like Cam Ward so far.

2. I think the Caps will find a way to keep Johnson and let Theodore go. Whether it be trade or buyout. Johnson has proven to be a capable backup who can carry the starting load for a good stretch. He also is committed to the franchise and wants very much to stay. Beyond next season there could be room for Johson for several seasons as the veteran back up depending on Nuevirth.

Keep in mind that McPhee has been very much about continuity of the roster. As little movement as possible. Johnson can stay for two or three seasons while Theodore is a max of one.

I don't think you can trust Varlamov as the #1 anymore than the Canes could trust Ward and Ward and Carolina struggled as a result. That said, Varlamov is not going to start in Hershey next season and he is not going to ride the bench as the #2 in Washington. He is going to play the majority of games in DC.

3. With the Cap as tight as it is, the Caps have less money tied up in goaltending with Varlamov, Johnson and Theo's buyout cap hit than with Theo and Varlamov's salaries.
Hadn't really considered the buyout option. It makes some sense, but if you'e GMGM, aren't you a bit concerned about committing anything to the 2010-2011 cap number that you can avoid? Everyone is saying that it's that year, and not this coming year, where we're really going to see the cap shrink. Since we have Semin and Backstrom to sign, that $1.5-ish million of dead money we'd have on the books for Theo might be a real issue. For next year, we can deal with Theo's salary if we have to.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Foy

Remember when people were attacking the Caps for not giving Huet that 4th year?

We are seeing why right now.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
FrankM73

Quote:

The bolded above are my sentiments exactly...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Remember when people were attacking the Caps for not giving Huet that 4th year?

We are seeing why right now.
indeed, GMGM made the decision making the (proper) assumption that one of Bork / Varlamov would be full-time in DC in the next 2 years.

i was upset when we didn't re-sign him, and i still think he would have been a more steady netminder than Jose... but we would most likely not have had to put in Varly and go on this 5 game run... funny how things work out

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:07 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Hadn't really considered the buyout option. It makes some sense, but if you'e GMGM, aren't you a bit concerned about committing anything to the 2010-2011 cap number that you can avoid? Everyone is saying that it's that year, and not this coming year, where we're really going to see the cap shrink. Since we have Semin and Backstrom to sign, that $1.5-ish million of dead money we'd have on the books for Theo might be a real issue. For next year, we can deal with Theo's salary if we have to.
The Caps can cut Theodore then. He comes off the salary cap immediately. They have to cut him a check for his full ride, but they get that salary cap space and nothing against the cap for 2010-11.

Maybe that is the route they go. My guess is that some team will take him before that happens, but who knows. Ted is making enough money in the 2nd round to pay Theodore to go away.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Foy

Quote:
The Caps can cut Theodore then. He comes off the salary cap immediately. They have to cut him a check for his full ride, but they get that salary cap space and nothing against the cap for 2010-11.

Maybe that is the route they go. My guess is that some team will take him before that happens, but who knows. Ted is making enough money in the 2nd round to pay Theodore to go away.
Cut him . . . you mean send him to Hershey?

You can't just cut a player in the NHL. All contracts are guaranteed outside of buyouts.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Cut him . . . you mean send him to Hershey?

You can't just cut a player in the NHL. All contracts are guaranteed outside of buyouts.
Yeah, I don't know how 'cutting' works. I thought a buyout was the closest you could come to cutting someone. The alternative being waiving the player and sending him to the minors.

But, tpxd isn't saying to withhold salary. Theo will get every cent he's owed, so this isn't a guaranteed contract issue. Nor is the issue is whether you can save cash. It's simply whether you can save cap space. I thought you couldn't, but I am not up to speed on this stuff. Anyone know?

Old
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

While I'd be fine with a buyout....I can see the Caps waiving him to the Bears....then seeing is someone will claim him on re-entry waivers later in the season.

But the way it's going....Theo is done as a Capital.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote