HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Price look lazy in net to you?

Old
05-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Did Price look lazy in net to you?

I'm watching these playoff goalies right now... giving incredible 2nd and 3rd efforts, moving quick side to side, up and down etc... and then I watch the PVR of Price...

He is so slow .... lazy.. just sort of going through the motions, not the Price we watched last year and the beginning of this season.

I your mind, is this due to an injury.. or .. is this his style now? You can't teach quickness, and he really has lost that part of his game, or is he ignoring it.

Thoughts? I'm not Price bashing, I'm a fan of the kid we watched last year.

Last edited by Habs: 05-04-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:45 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Short answer: yes.

You aren't the only one with this impression.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Fire Brunet*

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:46 PM
TheGoalJudge

Yup. When people see "calm and cool", I tend to see lazy and disinterested. I still love the guy but he has to fix this and show some urgency.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Stradale

I dont know if its lazyness but yeah i get your point. He's not active/dynamic. He plays like he's on a cloud or something, like kinda soft and i hate that.

As soon as a puck is deflected, Price is done.

He is "non-chalant" if you know what i mean.

EDIT: actually its "nonchalant". I didnt know it was a word in english.

Nonchalant: coolly unconcerned, indifferent, or unexcited

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I dont know if its lazyness but yeah i get your point. He's not active/dynamic. He plays like he's on a cloud or something, like kinda soft and i hate that.

As soon as a puck is deflected, Price is done.

He is "non-chalant" if you know what i mean.
Yeah, that's a good description. I don't know, I'm getting mad all over again watching him in net right now.

Old
05-04-2009, 09:50 PM
MoonlightGraham

I don't know, it might be the fact that he's taller than most goalies, so that's going to give the illusion that he's moving slower.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
I don't know, it might be the fact that he's taller than most goalies, so that's going to give the illusion that he's moving slower.
Hiller, Ward and Fleury are all similar in size.

Old
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

no.

and I tough the Price bashing fest was over last week, guess I was wrong

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Canadian_Brewtality

wow

you know what? i never noticed before

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Yup.

I don't know if there was ever a fire in that guy's belly. If there was, it was reduced to embers before the Boston series, and I don't pretend to know what it'll take to stoke the flames.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:04 PM
MonacoBlue

Nope...not going to even bother with this one...but no.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Weztex

Kinda but I don't think it is a problem, neither I think he's nonchalant. Before anyone make it sound like a problem, the guy making the save in 2007-08 looked just as lazy. That's what positional goaltending makes you look like if you rely as heavily as Price on it.

Weztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:24 PM
MathMan

When he's on his game, Price has a great economy of motion, he barely looks like he's moving but he gets there in time.

Frankly, he worries me more when he's moving around more frantically.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
When he's on his game, Price has a great economy of motion, he barely looks like he's moving but he gets there in time.

Agree 100% when he's on he dosn't need to move to make the save.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Nope...not going to even bother with this one...but no.
I second that

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
BigTimer*

He needs to get out of his crease. Granted it's very clear he had zero confidence in his D to cut off the cross-crease passes and clear rebounds, but it concerns me that Melanson is encouraging him to play deep in his net. I've recently seen Ward make some saves where he's 10 feet out of his crease, but that comes not only with confidence in your D but in yourself as well.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:37 PM
habtastic

I've been defending his playoff performance, but as mentioned, watching these playoffs, I've re-calibrated my expectations of what a playoff goalie (even a young one -- ie Varlamov/Hiller) is supposed to do. Have to admit, looking back, I didn't see much of that from Carey...BUT, then again, it's hard to be the only guy playing like a superstar when the rest of your team sucks, particularly your D. The other goalies have been letting in 4 goals a game, sometimes softies (even Luongo), but the team in front of them back it up and I think that probably fires the goalie up more to be in a one goal game that can go either way, rather than down a couple with O'bryne bumbling the puck in front of you or people marching to the penalty box.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Nedved

i remember in the allstar game he was playing like that, moving around all nonchalant. he never seemed to get back to the guy he was early in the year before his injury. hopefully, he turns it around.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
I really feel he needs to challenge the shooter and come out of the crease. If you watch him last year and even early with the Bulldogs, he would come out and really cut down the angles. Against the Bruins, stuck almost right on the goal line which makes easy targets for shooters.

This is something a goalie coach should address and not encourage. I say goodbye to rollie the goalie coach and get someone in that can really take Carey to the next level.

Carey Chant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Go away, and learn how to read on the way out.... especially the part where I said :
Even though you said you arnt bashing him, take a look at ur post and what thread you started and maybe you will see why people would consider it bashing.

And to participate in this thread, yah Price seemed to be giving up after first or second efforts and I think its because he had no confidence in himself to even make the first save. I think a fresh start and a new year will be perfect for him to get back in the zone.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

I know he's good a positioning and all but it seems like he is never ready for a deflected puck. I know its hard to be prepared for a deflected puck but Price is never ready for it. How many times have we saw a shot from the point being tipped and we see Price on his knees watching the player who deflected the puck saying like "why you do that? The puck should hit my chest."

Luongo is a big/tall goalie but he is much more dynamic than Price. Brodeur, Kipper, Ward, Thomas, Miller, Lundqvist all seem more active and dynamic than Price. I remember when Luongo was playing a game against the Blues in the playoff, after winning in OT, he was completely exausted. The way Price is playing, I dont see how he could get tired.

And im not bashing Price. He was my favorite Habs last season and i dont care what he does outside the ice but i do think he is nonchalant this season.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm watching these playoff goalies right now... giving incredible 2nd and 3rd efforts, moving quick side to side, up and down etc... and then I watch the PVR of Price...

He is so slow .... lazy.. just sort of going through the motions, not the Price we watched last year and the beginning of this season.

I your mind, is this due to an injury.. or .. is this his style now? You can't teach quickness, and he really has lost that part of his game, or is he ignoring it.

Thoughts? I'm not Price bashing, I'm a fan of the kid we watched last year.

I'm not sure "lazy" is the right word.

First of all, Price (to me) looks like a boy trying to compete with men!

To me- Price looks like he has a certain amount of skill - but I don't see the same type of "character" in Price that I saw in Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden.

From the time they put on a Habs jersey until they retired, Roy & Dryden appeared metally prepared to bring their best game esecially when the Habs needed them the most (playoffs etc) -

They both seemed like they were ready to do battle - to do whatever it takes to win. I don't see that "battle" attitude (of winning at alll costs) from Price - almost as if the puck doesn't come to Price he isn't going to go chasing it!

I could be wrong - but that's what it looks like to me!

GO HABS GO!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:19 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Yup. When people see "calm and cool", I tend to see lazy and disinterested. I still love the guy but he has to fix this and show some urgency.
holy ****, thats exactly what i'm saying.

you can see the excitement from a thomas, ward, varlamov, hiller. absolutely nothing from this guy. I really think that the players actually feed off this lack of urgancy in a negative way hense their sloppy defensive coverage. Personally speaking, if i saw my goalie non chalantly passing the puck around or barely hustling, i'd be also thinking in my mind that there's no need to rush the puck....then bam the puck is stripped off me. Laziness is pretty contagious.

If i didn't know any better i'd think he's the next incarnation of Alexander Daigle, and has no real interest in hockey.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
znk

Totally passive...wait to passive for my taste.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote