HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Price look lazy in net to you?

Old
05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
maci4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Agree 100% when he's on he dosn't need to move to make the save.
we've seen a lot of the "not make a move" to try and save the puck, followed by the look up into the rafters when he knows he let another softy in.

Milbury hit it on the nail tonight on HNIC. He and Hrudy were arguing about making a great save and his arguement was just cause it hit's you in the chest and you're already there doesn't mean it's a good save. it's the ones that are tough to get to that are stopped which are the good saves. Mind you every save is a good save to a coach but we all catch his drift. and he's right. and that describes price. he makes the saves cause he's just there in front of the puck when it gets there, but usually he's not able to get the ones that require the reflexes ( he gets a few ), but he's not even close to the performance of a cam ward, varlamov fleury or luongo. those guys show a lot of intensity and are prepared for everything. Their concentration is superb.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Totally passive...wait to passive for my taste.
Really? We agree on something? WTF?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
HF-Addict

yes and it pisses me off. Seems like he gives up way too easily...

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:41 PM
maci4life

Price lacks concentration and focus.

I remember the good ol days when i was a ball hockey goalie. when i was right into the game and i had good focus, i could even see the deflections occur and actually react to stop them.

like mentioned before, so many times we have seen a deflection go right in and price had absolutely no idea where the puck was. yes it was a deflection but how do all of the other goalies see these same deflections? It's easy to give him the benefit of the doubt when deflections go in, and i admittedly am one of those people and used it as an excuse, but i simpley cannot deny it any longer especially when watching the rest of these playoffs and seeing these goalies make spectacular save after saves, alot of them being tipped or deflected yet you see a correction on the goalies part to stop those deflections. price? nope he's in his original positional stance and doesn't even flinch when the puck changes direction. I'm being hard but i don't care because he's in the NHL and i'm not. he should know much better than all of us, and has played in many more highly competitive games than all of us on this board combined therefore I don't use the " he's just a kid" excuse. Kid or no kid. he has MUCH more experience than the average joe, so we cannot look at him in the same manner.

Old
05-04-2009, 11:42 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The human body is not a neverending energy source. When you get barraged, face break-away after break-away, rush after rush, shot after shot, odd-man rush after odd-man rush, you lose the ability to move quickly and buzz around the net.
Price will be fine, can everyone stop perpetuating the stereotype that he won't be? It's ****ing ridiculous. Can anyone see that he's a struggling young goaltender who is expected to be a god behind a defence that would turn any goaltender in the league into a sieve?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
we've seen a lot of the "not make a move" to try and save the puck, followed by the look up into the rafters when he knows he let another softy in.

Milbury hit it on the nail tonight on HNIC. He and Hrudy were arguing about making a great save and his arguement was just cause it hit's you in the chest and you're already there doesn't mean it's a good save. it's the ones that are tough to get to that are stopped which are the good saves. Mind you every save is a good save to a coach but we all catch his drift. and he's right. and that describes price. he makes the saves cause he's just there in front of the puck when it gets there, but usually he's not able to get the ones that require the reflexes ( he gets a few ), but he's not even close to the performance of a cam ward, varlamov fleury or luongo. those guys show a lot of intensity and are prepared for everything. Their concentration is superb.
Also, any of those goalies in front of the Habs D gets lit up and the whole fanbase tries to find out why they sucked.

Also, cherrypicking goaltenders is never a good argument.

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
maci4life

wow i'm posting a lot. BUT i'm getting price off my chest once and for all.

The more i think about it, the more i believe that we need Roy as the goalie coach. Roy was ultra competitve and if anyones gonna teach this kid something, it'll be Roy. He won't take his **** and will tell it as he sees it. Roy doesn't need to teach him how to be a goalie ( Price hass all of the tools ), Roy's gonna teach him how to get that killer instinct!!

Old
05-04-2009, 11:49 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The human body is not a neverending energy source. When you get barraged, face break-away after break-away, rush after rush, shot after shot, odd-man rush after odd-man rush, you lose the ability to move quickly and buzz around the net.
Price will be fine, can everyone stop perpetuating the stereotype that he won't be? It's ****ing ridiculous. Can anyone see that he's a struggling young goaltender who is expected to be a god behind a defence that would turn any goaltender in the league into a sieve?
That would be a fair arguement if we actually saw a depreciation during the game. We don't. We see it right from the start.

Now in a game like ANA/DET in sunday, that could be more relevant, but even during that game, the goalies stood on their heads for the whole game.

Old
05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I just believe that if he could find his way to put his energy at the right place, he'd looked better and faster. How many times does he overcommit on shots? We keep seeing him moving way too soon, or not covering enough of the net 'cause he's all over the place and when he does, he is energetic. But not in a good way.

But then I disagree with people who says that he doesn't have to move 'cause his positional game is so strong. At one point in this league, you do need your reflexes as great as your are and especially for him who seems to never know where the puck is especially when it's close by. Then reflexes needs to kick in.

But then, we saw a more energetic Price against the Pens when he made those highlight reel saves. That had nothing to do with a positional play, he needed to react the way he did, and succeeded. But he did talk about that before and I believe he still thinks it's the way it should be. He believes in being hit by the puck. He believes in playing bigger and not having to do miraculous saves one after the other to be a succesful goalie. He's not far from the truth. But at one point, he does need to be more aware and more aggressive in a composed manner. Clearly though, watching Hiller and Varlamov play is great for the eyes. You have that feeling that they're big and much faster. I would tend to think though that Price might reached what we are seeing of Ward. With the highlight reel save from time to time like he had against Ryder.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Magic33

He is way to casual in the crease. Fact is, for most of his career, he could get away with it. Now in the NHL, everything is at a much higher speed. He needs a little more intensity and drive imo.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Kirk Muller

To me he has been thinking the game since coming back from injury instead of putting his natural abilities to use. I think it has to with injury and to do with Melanson trying to change or refine his game.

Now it does bother me with the lack of emotion. There is a fine line between cool/calm and passive.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:31 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Roy's gonna teach him how to get that killer instinct!!
I don't think that can be taught. I like Price, but he strikes me as one of those guys that plays because he's good at it, not because he loves it.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:50 AM
DaHabMan

well ever since he came back from his injury he has looked slower in nets. Take the two varlamov saves tonight against the pens, early season price would have battled to stop crosby too and would have made the glove save against gonchar but post all-star price would have gotten beaten on the cross crease pass. Maybe he didnt fully recovered from his injury, he did came back prematurely.......but to answer the question, yes he did look slow

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 05:07 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm watching these playoff goalies right now... giving incredible 2nd and 3rd efforts, moving quick side to side, up and down etc... and then I watch the PVR of Price...

He is so slow .... lazy.. just sort of going through the motions, not the Price we watched last year and the beginning of this season.

I your mind, is this due to an injury.. or .. is this his style now? You can't teach quickness, and he really has lost that part of his game, or is he ignoring it.

Thoughts? I'm not Price bashing, I'm a fan of the kid we watched last year.
When the puck is hitting him, he is praised by the "experts" for being so calm and cool... making everything look easy.

When the puck isn't hitting him, he gets criticized for not battling hard enough, or being too casual.

I think it all comes down to his confidence. When he is feeling it, he is at the top of his crease. OTOH, when things aren't going well, he is Felix Potvin deep in his crease.

Ever since the all star break, it seems to me like Price was hoping for the puck to hit him instead of knowing that the puck was all his. With confidence, he can cover the puck a split second quicker or read the play a little better. Its the difference between looking careless and looking cool.

Last edited by Hackett: 05-05-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:42 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Season has been over for 3+ weeks and these threads are still showing up?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
I'm not sure "lazy" is the right word.

First of all, Price (to me) looks like a boy trying to compete with men!

To me- Price looks like he has a certain amount of skill - but I don't see the same type of "character" in Price that I saw in Patrick Roy or Ken Dryden.

From the time they put on a Habs jersey until they retired, Roy & Dryden appeared metally prepared to bring their best game esecially when the Habs needed them the most (playoffs etc) -

They both seemed like they were ready to do battle - to do whatever it takes to win. I don't see that "battle" attitude (of winning at alll costs) from Price - almost as if the puck doesn't come to Price he isn't going to go chasing it!

I could be wrong - but that's what it looks like to me!

GO HABS GO!
You are bang on. How old is Varlamov again? 21? oh but that's so young

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
ReVeuF

Seriously, Varlamov look far more awake in the net... and he is 20 years old (the youth excuse for Price is pissing me big time...).

He doesn't wait for the puck to get to him... he is hungry and want to eat those pucks...

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Yes.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
wow i'm posting a lot. BUT i'm getting price off my chest once and for all.

The more i think about it, the more i believe that we need Roy as the goalie coach. Roy was ultra competitve and if anyones gonna teach this kid something, it'll be Roy. He won't take his **** and will tell it as he sees it. Roy doesn't need to teach him how to be a goalie ( Price hass all of the tools ), Roy's gonna teach him how to get that killer instinct!!
That is the solution.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Firstimeandshy*

Quote:
Hiller, Ward and Fleury are all similar in size.
Please, Fleury is 6'0 173 lbs. I think we should get rid of the bum ! I mean who would want someone who is nonchalant and doesn't care when he plays. I hate the bum, he sucks, get rid of him.

Firstimeandshy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Iwishihadacup

sneaky Price basher is sneaky

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:50 AM
zzoo

Quote:
I'm watching these playoff goalies right now... giving incredible 2nd and 3rd efforts, moving quick side to side, up and down etc... and then I watch the PVR of Price...

He is so slow .... lazy.. just sort of going through the motions, not the Price we watched last year and the beginning of this season.
Yes. I completely agree. Price seems slow and disinterested.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:55 AM
FrankMTL

Price will always be compared to the flavour of the month. Varlamov is great, but it wasen't too long ago he was being lit up in the Russia / Canada Junior Super Series. He is new in the league and teams will find his weak spot like they do with most other young goalies...but who knows, he could take them to the Stanley Cup before that happens. My point is, stop comparing Price to every young goalie that has success, they are all different.

But yes, Price seems passive sometimes in net. He will have to get stronger mentally and become more agressive. We have seen shades of this before, especially when he is punching guys in front of his net, he always seems to have strong games when he looks like he's totally into it. Consistency will be the key.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Habs12max

I'm tired of hearing people say : WOAH stop bashing price the season is over... WTF?

I mean, I don't say I want price out, most people here actually want price to stay, it's just that he didn't play with enough passion.

I'm a fan on the habs, a real fan. In the playoffs, price wasn't aggresive on the rebound, wasn't moving fast. It's true, even if you are a calm tempered goalie, you have to move sometime, even if you are 6 ''3 .

If I'm saying that price played bad in the playoff, it's because I don't hide from the truth. Look on the Rangers board, look on other boards, people BASH player too. It's normal, they get millions for their jobs.

The offense didn't get it done, the defense didn't get it done and the goalie didn't get it done. That's it.

Kovalev was fine, Higgins was fine, Metropolit was fine. That's about it. Josh Gorges wasn't that bad neither. But mostly, the team totaly blow.

But seriously, the worst of them was price.

Sometime, if the goalie makes the easy saves and some difficult save, the Defense tend to gain some confindence...You know, if the Dmen are more confident, we get better first past, more forechec, more offense...

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs12max View Post
I'm tired of hearing people say : WOAH stop bashing price the season is over... WTF?

I mean, I don't say I want price out, most people here actually want price to stay, it's just that he didn't play with enough passion.

I'm a fan on the habs, a real fan. In the playoffs, price wasn't aggresive on the rebound, wasn't moving fast. It's true, even if you are a calm tempered goalie, you have to move sometime, even if you are 6 ''3 .

If I'm saying that price played bad in the playoff, it's because I don't hide from the truth. Look on the Rangers board, look on other boards, people BASH player too. It's normal, they get millions for their jobs.

The offense didn't get it done, the defense didn't get it done and the goalie didn't get it done. That's it.

Kovalev was fine, Higgins was fine, Metropolit was fine. That's about it. Josh Gorges wasn't that bad neither. But mostly, the team totaly blow.

But seriously, the worst of them was price.

Sometime, if the goalie makes the easy saves and some difficult save, the Defense tend to gain some confindence...You know, if the Dmen are more confident, we get better first past, more forechec, more offense...

If you think that Price was the problm, you seriously have a problem

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote