HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is Phoenix finishing ahead of the Rangers necessarily a bad thing?

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2004, 09:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Is Phoenix finishing ahead of the Rangers necessarily a bad thing?

Another line of thought here: TGO has loved Lundmark for quite a while now. He wanted him for Burke. If the 'Yotes finished higher than the Rangers, would TGO be tempted to move swap picks with the Rangers if Lundmark was part of the deal? I'm not saying Lundmark has to be moved. Rather, I'm just curious if such a possibility exists and what people think of such an idea.

Old
03-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Sather Hater

I'm not sure I understand? You don't mind Phoenix finishing in 5th to last and the Rangers in 6th so we can trade Lundmark to move up one spot, rather than have the rangers finish in 5th and keep Lundmark and a chance in the lottery?

Old
03-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Now here is a brilliant post... Finish 6th so the Rangers can trade to finish 5th.... Gotta love the logic...

Old
03-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Onion Boy

Lundmark for Doan!!!

Old
03-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Fletch

Uh....

I think the point is that if the Rangers do not finish fifth, there may be a trade opp. with PHX that includes Lundmark. And it ain't going to be Lundmark + #6 for a fifth either.

Old
03-22-2004, 10:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Thank you, Fletch

Wow, I guess I was expecting a little more insight from some posters. Instead, I get insults. The point was not moving up one spot by trading Lundmark. Rather, if Phoenix moves up in the draft due to the lottery, would Lundmark be attractive trade bait, since TGO has had interest in him. For example, Phoenix moves up to third, but, and Malkin is there at that spot. If Phoenix isn't as hot for Malkin as the Rangers are, do they drop in the draft because they like someone as much as Malkin, while the Rangers are willing to move Lundmark because they really like Malkin. Sorry if I overestimated some of you people.

Old
03-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Sorry Jas, guess my post was a little insulting. Your second post is a lot clearer. I still don't think Phoenix would do it though. After all, Lundmark hasn't done anything so why would they part with the #5 spot for him? I see Lundmark going somewhere but I think it would take more than him to move up. I'd rather see the Rangers just keep losing and win that 5th spot. Sorry again, it's Monday you know.

Old
03-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

What Jas is saying:

-Phoenix ends up with #5 at end of reg. season.
-Phoenix wins lotto, goes to #3 pick.
-At the draft Phoenix trades #3 to NYR for Lundmark & #6 pick.

It's possible, but so are alot of scenarios. It depends what these
teams think of the players still on the board i'd suspect.

Old
03-22-2004, 11:46 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Thank you, Ranger Blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
Sorry Jas, guess my post was a little insulting. Your second post is a lot clearer. I still don't think Phoenix would do it though. After all, Lundmark hasn't done anything so why would they part with the #5 spot for him? I see Lundmark going somewhere but I think it would take more than him to move up. I'd rather see the Rangers just keep losing and win that 5th spot. Sorry again, it's Monday you know.
for apologizing. I guess you hurt my feelings. . I guess I could have made the post a little more clear. Like I said, I'm not suggesting that we have to trade Lundmark. Rather, Sather could find himself with quite a few options on draft day. And, since the Rangers probably have the best ability to deal with any transfer fees for an Ovechkin, there will be opportunities to deal up if the #1 pick is made available.

Old
03-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Edge

i think Phoenix is likely to keep their pick, though I'm not sure I'd trade to move up if i were the Rangers.

I just wrote up my top 20 the other day and IMPO There is Ovchekin, not too far behind him is Malkin and then you have guys ranked 3,4 and 5 who are on the same level, then it drops a little more from 6-10 and then so on from there.

For the me the rangers NEED a top 5 pick, for reasons not even considering the draft lottery.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
What Jas is saying:

-Phoenix ends up with #5 at end of reg. season.
-Phoenix wins lotto, goes to #3 pick.
-At the draft Phoenix trades #3 to NYR for Lundmark & #6 pick.

It's possible, but so are alot of scenarios. It depends what these
teams think of the players still on the board i'd suspect.
If Phoenix wins the draft lottery at the #5 spot, wouldn't they move up to #1? And if they land the #1 pick, I doubt they would deal it. Gretz could use a star to generate interest in the market, and Doan and Nagy, good as they are, aren't doing it.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:03 PM
BigE

If Phoenix wins the lottery they move to first, not third. So what are we talking about?

It would take a lot more to get Ovechkin than Lundmark and our first. Think Quebec-Lindros trade and you might be looking at something in and around that ballpark.

-Two first rounders.
-Two or three good prospects.
-Money.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
If Phoenix wins the lottery they move to first, not third. So what are we talking about?

It would take a lot more to get Ovechkin than Lundmark and our first. Think Quebec-Lindros trade and you might be looking at something in and around that ballpark.

-Two first rounders.
-Two or three good prospects.
-Money.
Yeah and look at how that one turned out for both teams.

Don't be stupid and overpay for the shinier package.

Which of course means they probably will.

Closed Thread