HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Yesterday, nine years ago...

Old
05-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

vCash: 500
Yesterday, nine years ago...

Bored, so I thought I'd post this...

Do you remember where you were?

(I don't, unfortunately. I was in 6th grade, and I probably had school the next day.)

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:51 AM
dawkins121

I was 12 so I was asleep. My Dad did wake me up and tell me they won though, earlier in that series was when I went to my first playoff game so I remember that series pretty well.

At the time I would have given anything to be allowed to stay up and watch, now almost a decade later I'm sitting here studying for finals and all I want to do is sleep

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Also, I had no idea that Herb Brooks was coaching the Penguins during this series. Wow.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Joey Mac

yeah i was like 15 and fell asleep after the third ot, to wake up and find out that they won it in the fifth ot

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:37 AM
RoDu

I stayed up and watched the whole thing. I'm in the Central Time Zone, so it wasn't quite as late for me. I flipped out when he scored and tried to be quiet at the same time

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:45 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Nine years ago would have put me at 11 years old - frankly, though, I remember staying up all night and watching the game with my Mom, who is just as intense of a fan as I am. That game was amazing, and I actually re-watched it the next day because they made it an "instant classic" and showed it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I was 12 so I was asleep. My Dad did wake me up and tell me they won though, earlier in that series was when I went to my first playoff game so I remember that series pretty well.

At the time I would have given anything to be allowed to stay up and watch, now almost a decade later I'm sitting here studying for finals and all I want to do is sleep
I feel ya. I have a 14 page paper due Thursday, a test tonight, and a test Thursday in which I have to cover over 6,000 pages of reading. Finals are a loooong week.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:52 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Haha, interesting to see who was on the team at that time... Dan McGillis, Luke Richardson, Andy Delmore, Valeri Zelepukin (one of my favorites), and of course... Simon Gagne.

It was also pretty sweet to see that the D-man that Primeau schooled was Darius Kasparaitis, who I HATED!!!!

Old
05-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I watched this game in San Francisco at a bar across from the Giants stadium. All night this jackass was in my ear about how bad Primeau was. IT was awesome.

What's really amazing about that series is that the Flyers lost the first 2 games at home. They then swept the next 4. Had they lost that game, they never would've won that series.

Of course, then we would've never had out hearts ripped out by Scott Stevens and Patrick Elias.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Nine years ago would have put me at 11 years old - frankly, though, I remember staying up all night and watching the game with my Mom, who is just as intense of a fan as I am. That game was amazing, and I actually re-watched it the next day because they made it an "instant classic" and showed it again.

I feel ya. I have a 14 page paper due Thursday, a test tonight, and a test Thursday in which I have to cover over 6,000 pages of reading. Finals are a loooong week.
Oh is that the everything thats ever happened anywhere ever test?

6,000 pages? I'm guessing thats multiple books lol. If not thats the biggest book ever and probably cost you a grand from the school bookstore haha.

I only have one final left, Accounting Information Systems, it shouldn't be that bad.

9 years ago I was 13. I was the only person up in my house, I was in my room with the lights out, and I fell asleep between the 2nd and 3rd OT I think. I woke up in the morning and walked out of my room to go brush my teeth and my mom came out of her room and said she just heard on the radio the Flyers won in the fifth overtime, and I told her no they didn't lol. She was like yes they did I just heard it, and I said mom no game goes into 5 overtimes...guess I was wrong.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:29 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
I was 13, laying in bed with the volume really low. My mom made me turn if off after the 2nd OT because it was a school night. I stayed up and fought sleep alllll night just to see what happened. I remember starting to nod off to sleep just as Keith scored, and i jolted up and fell off the side of my bed, which got me in a bit of trouble. It was so worth it.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:41 AM
turkinaa

Taped the OT because I had to go to school the next day. Watched it when I got home. Lucky for me no one said anything that day about the game.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiria92 View Post
Oh is that the everything thats ever happened anywhere ever test?

6,000 pages? I'm guessing thats multiple books lol. If not thats the biggest book ever and probably cost you a grand from the school bookstore haha.
Surprisingly close - a history of the modern world class from 1945-1991. You know, a semi-important time period of the world.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

My favorite goal by one of my top 3 favorite players!

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
sharkeyanti

I was 12, stayed up for the whole thing. I've always been something of a night owl so it wasn't THAT big of a deal, but if I recall the game ended around 2:30 am? I had so much fun watching it, I remember dozing for a little in the 3rd OT, though. Love these long OT games so much. I watched every game of that OT-happy Stars-Canucks series in 2007, hardly slept at all.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Orange Crush 89

I remember watching it. Everyone in the house is asleep then screaming when Primeau scored. Good times.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I was 11 and my dad let me stay up and watch it because my bed time was always 10 or when the Flyers game ended when I was in elementary school.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

I was 16 at the time, sophomore in high school. I was watching in my room and I screamed as loud as I could when he scored, I didn't care. My dad came running into my room all excited because he knew why I screamed, ha ha. That day at school, my math teacher had stayed up to watch, so that's what he talked about the entire class that day.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
kicksave27

A totally failed night of studying for an exam in college the next day. Luckily it was just a gen ed class. After he scored i immediately fell asleep.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
9 years ago, I was 23. I had to go to work the next day, but I didn't care. Stayed up and watched the whole thing. I was sitting on my chair in my apartment's living room, and I had my cell phone timer set for 15 minutes so I could nap during intermissions.

When he scored, I did one fist pump turned off the TV, and fell asleep on the floor of the living room. "Fortunately", the alarm was set, so a few hours later I was on my way to work.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Haha I was 12, just huddling in my bed listening to my radio, I actually did the alarm thing too for the intermissions.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
McNasty

I was 11 and stayed up for the entire thing, my mom had to come pick me up from middle school b/c I kept falling asleep.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
UseYourAllusion

Like many I was 12, listening to WIP in bed. After Primeau scored I ran downstairs and turned on the TV to watch the replay.

EDIT: It dawns on me that my math sucks, and I was 14...I think. I'm 23 now, so...

Last edited by UseYourAllusion: 05-05-2009 at 12:59 PM.
UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Senior year of high school (in Ontario). Nothing pressing was going on the next day, so I stayed up for the whole thing.

I played Mario Kart 64 to ensure I didn't fall asleep during the intermissions.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I was like 14 I guess. I watched the first 2 OT's with my dad and then he went to bed and made me go to bed too because I had a huge test that I had studied for from like 4pm-7pm(game time) and between periods. I was pissed, I argued with him for like 5 minutes and finally when we got to my room he said well I'm going to bed, down the hall, I cant control what you do in your room and if your TV is low enough I wont even know you stayed up. I put my volume pretty low and watched the 3rd OT. I was tired as hell after that 3rd OT so I set my watch alarm for 20 minutes and took a nap and then did the same thing after the 4th overtime. When Primes scored, it didnt even sink in at first. There were so many amazing saves and close chances that I was numb to them and almost forgot what a goal looked like. I ended up staying up another half hour after the game just to watch them talk about it. I'll never forget that night.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:00 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Stayed up with friends. I was 13 at the time.

We flipped when they won.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote