HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Holmgrem asking someone to waive their NMC, but who?

Old
05-05-2009, 12:52 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
It is a bit early to name this kids the face of the franchise--flyers have lots of kids around and this guy maybe good--but cojuld be riding the shirtails for his stats like lupul and penner do

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
BigBanger

vCash: 500
Is their a Market for a over-paid guy who gets man-handled like a 12 year old girl?

BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Towelie*

Briere's contract could make him untradeable.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
Briere's NMC could make him untradeable.

Fixed.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Is there a value gap? Franly you might be lucky to get somebody like Halak.

Briere is tied to a huge long term deal in uncertain financial times. If he was dealt you better be prepared for what you will bet, it will not be pretty.

Briere is tied to a cap hit of 6.5 million for the next 6 years, Halak has a cap hit of 0.775 million next season. That is about a 5.75 million difference.

Why wouldnt Montreal be better off Keeping Halak and signing another forward for 5.75 million?

Now tell me where there is a value differance?
name me a better forward or even a similar forward available at that price? yeah jaybo is out there and everyone wants him but hes not a forward. the sedins are a package deal. can you afford both? do you take a chance on gaborik who wants 8 mil and is actually injury prone? what do you think hossa and cammaleri are gonna want? top end talent rarely becomes available and if it hits the market your going to have to pay the cash. the oh so dreamed for lecavalier has a worse cap hit then brieres yet that didnt stop the clamoring for him. value to a contract depends largely on who else is available and this summer briere is good value.

briere is often mentioned on these boards to be traded becuase hes a high price player at a poistion of depth for philly. it seems to be a misallocation of assets. its that simple. hes not injury prone, hes not less than a 1st line player and hes not a salary dump.

and if the speculation is true the other french speaking player with a no trade is gagne. gags has played his whole career in philly and is one of the most defensively responsible forwards on the team. people thinking they are overpaying for briere are going to evacuate themselves with what we ask for gagne

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Do you understand the current economics in the NHL, do you understand what a salary dump is?

If Philly got Briere to remove his NTC, the only way they get anything significant for him is if they take back another high salary. Otherwise there are very few teams with cap room, let alone teams that are willing to give up quality players along with taking on salary.

Dont get your hopes up.
Do you understand that the Canadiens were going to sign Briere to a contract with an even larger cap hit when he was a FA? Do you understand that the Canadiens are looking for a center? Do you understand his cap hit is actually good compensation for his point production? And do you understand that the Canadiens DO in fact have the room and then some to take on Briere's salary? I understand that you're an idiot.

Call it a salary dump, because that's basically what it is, but the Flyers do not have to trade any of their players who have NMC's if they don't want to. Many teams would drool over getting Briere at his current contract considering some other contracts floating around out there and not to mention, HE'S A PRETTY DARN GOOD HOCKEY PLAYER.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Fixed.
What team is willing to trade for a player making 6.5 million dollars for the next six years when the cap is threatening to go down? At a time when the economic future of future is grim, I doubt many teams are willing to take this kind of risk.

I just don't think many teams would be interesting in taking on this type of contract.

Old
05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
Do you understand that the Canadiens were going to sign Briere to a contract with an even larger cap hit when he was a FA? Do you understand that the Canadiens are looking for a center? Do you understand his cap hit is actually good compensation for his point production? And do you understand that the Canadiens DO in fact have the room and then some to take on Briere's salary? I understand that you're an idiot.
And I bet the Canadiens are thanking their lucky stars that they didn't! The Flyers signed Briere to his gigantic contract before the economic meltdown. This economic recession, and the predicted lowering of the salary cap, clearly hurts the value of expensive long-term contracts like Brieres.

Old
05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
AC Le Rock

and for all of you questioning this "speculation." Holmgrem was asked if he would ask someone to waive their NMC and his response was typical - we haven't gotten there yet but we will explore all options.

I speculate that asking someone to waive their NMC is in the ball park due to two major things.
1. the Flyers had their hands tied this past deadline because of their cap mishaps and it hurt them. They couldn't even recall their OWN farm players due to the cap regulations so they had to sign some college kid to play a single game. They also lost two key role players in Vaananen and Metropolit just bringing Briere back from IR.
2. They want Knuble back and Coburn will be a FA next season. Also, the Flyers have made it clear they want a big faceoff man who is solid on draws/can take and win draws in clutch situations AND add a big, skilled dman = $$$

With their current situation, the can't fulfill any of their wants or needs with out asking someone to waive their NMC. Lupul's 4.2 and Jones 2.7 won't cut it and I definitely do not think they want to be in the same position they were this past season as far as the cap is concerned.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
Is their a Market for a over-paid guy who gets man-handled like a 12 year old girl?
I hope so.....Rangers have 3 of them.....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
twenty2

This thread is filled with so much speculation and self-righteous Briere contract bashing ignorance that I don't know where to start.

I give up on this thread.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
There's only five players that I can think of that have NMCs in their respective contracts:

1) Briere
2) Timonen
3) Hartnell
4) Lupul
5) Richards
I believe that Richard's isn't and can't be active until he's reached UFA years. He's obviously not getting moved anyway.

Lupul's is limited although I'm not 100% what the limit is (I believe he pre-agrees to 6 teams he's be willing to get traded to) and that starts on July 1. I think.

Not trading the best defensive player on a team with a weak D.

Not trading the only power forward on the team who just scored 30 goals.

That leaves Briere and Lupul, who are the usual suspects anyway.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
twenty2

Lupul's doesn't kick in til a year from July 1st 2009.

Richards' doesn't kick in for a while.

And I think they're NTCs not NMCs.

I think only Briere has an NMC.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Lupul's doesn't kick in til a year from July 1st 2009.

Richards' doesn't kick in for a while.

And I think they're NTCs not NMCs.

I think only Briere has an NMC.

Lupul has a limited NTC. It is not a NMC so he can still be sent to the minors. Also, he can list 6 teams he will NOT accept a trade to giving us 23 teams that we CAN trade him to. Also, Lupul's Limited NTC doesn't kick in until July 1st, 2010, it's not THIS year, it's next year.

Briere and Timonen both have NMC's. I think that Hartnell has one also but his MIGHT be just a NTC. Biron had either a NTC or NMC but it doesn't matter now. I believe Richards' is a NTC, not a NMC.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
AC Le Rock

Gagne has a NMC or NTC too I'm pretty sure.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Yep, but Gagne's gonna cost the Habs Carey Price. If they don't want him then we'll just have to keep Gagne.

At least I wish Holmgren would say that if they ever came calling for Simon. I do know the Habs fans are not going to like what it would take to get him from us.

Old
05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Yes, he has a NTC

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
lefty2time*

Philly needs a goalie....such a great team up front...maybe anohter solid top4 defensive dman.....but a young goalie or a top goalie prospect would be very good for the Flyers ogranization

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Norm MacDonald

Briere is a great player and his contract isn't that bad when compared with the rest of the NHL. However, the Flyers already have a lot of money locked up in forwards. If they want to add a better #1 goalie and another top defenseman, Briere could be a "cap casualty" option if he decides to waive his NMC. With the all the expiring contracts after next season and the season after, trading guys like Lupul and Jones will only accomplish so much.

There will be several teams that would be willing to give up significant assets if he becomes available to every team in the league (which is unlikely).

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
ELab2

didn't even realize this the OP was 100% speculation... blah

title should be changed, this isn't even legitimate speculation 100% baseless

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Atlanta wants to get a right handed center for Kovalchuk. Briere fits the bill.

Briere for one of Atlanta's goalies?

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBanger View Post
I'm sure the Sharks could find something for Thornton

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM
FrankMTL

[QUOTE=DeepOrange;19428468]Briere is a great player and his contract isn't that bad when compared with the rest of the NHL. However, the Flyers already have a lot of money locked up in forwards. If they want to add a better #1 goalie and another top defenseman, Briere could be a "cap casualty" option if he decides to waive his NMC. With the all the expiring contracts after next season and the season after, trading guys like Lupul and Jones will only accomplish so much.

There will be several teams that would be willing to give up significant assets if he becomes available to every team in the league (which is unlikely).[/QUOTE]

Name them off the top of your head, keeping this in mind. ..The teams need to have the cap space available, and they need to be willing to spend to the cap. You're going to have a much harder time then you thought.

Last edited by FrankMTL: 05-05-2009 at 03:53 PM.
FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Is there a link to an article stating this so called speculation?
i think you just opened it

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
DUHockey9

Sooooo do we have an actual source for this speculation yet?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote