HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Around Hockey III (All Non-Jackets related NHL/Hockey Talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2009, 09:35 PM
anteater90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
After all these years I should know but don't.., help please.
Hockey has a variety of different offenses that can be committed by players or even coaches. These can play a major role in the how games are played as penalties result in a team having to play shorthanded giving the other team a significant advantage in manpower on the ice and usually an excellent opportunity to score goals. Below are the general types of penalties as well as an explaination of some of the more common calls you'll see in games as well as the signals the referree or linesman will use to signal them in a game.

Types of Penalties:

Minor Penalty Any player, other than a goaltender, shall be ruled off the ice for two minutes during which time no substitute shall be permitted. If the shorthanded team is scored upon before the two minutes elapse, the player in the penalty box is automatically released.

Major Penalty Any player, except the goaltender, shall be ruled off the ice for four or five minutes during which time no substitute shall be permitted. The player who is serving the major penalty must stay in the penalty box for the full five, regardless if a goal is scored upon their "shorthanded" team.

Goaltender's Penalties A goaltender shall not be sent to the penalty box for an infraction, but instead the minor penalty shall be served by another member of his team, who was on the ice when the infraction was committed.

Penalty shot No time served. Awarded for a player being fouled from behind and denied a breakaway scoring opportunity. Also called for deliberately displacing the goal post during a breakaway, or can be called when a defending player other than the goalie intentionally falls on the puck, ususually around the defensive net area.

Coincidental minor and/or major penalties result when players of two opposing teams are simultaneously assessed penalties of equal duration. In this case, the players may be substituted for, but all penalized players must serve their full time in the penalty box and wait for a stoppage of play to come out of the box. Generally, the timekeeper will not post these penalties on the scoreboard and the players will be required to stay in the box for the amount of time assessed and until "the next whistle".

Misconduct Penalty Any player, other than the goaltender, shall be ruled off the ice for a period of ten minutes. A substitute player is permitted to immediately replace a player serving a misconduct penalty. A player whose misconduct penalty has expired shall remain in the penalty box until the next stoppage of play. These penalties are often called in tandem with a minor penalty and you may hear it referred to as a "Two and ten". What this means is that the player has committed a foul such as Checking from Behind and his/her team must play shorthanded for 2 minutes but the offending player must then also stay off the ice for an additional 10 minutes. Generally, a team will put two players in the penalty box with one coming out after two minutes.

Match Penalty A match penalty involves the suspension of a player for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately. A substitute player is permitted to replace the penalized player after five minutes of playing time has elapsed.

Game Misconduct A penalty that involves the suspension of a player for the balance of the game. A substitute is immediately permitted to take his place on the ice.

Old
05-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Gotta love that Malkin guy...I'd give my left nut to have just one CBJ player at his level.. Nash would get no more than second line minutes on the Pittsburgh club..
The first half is spot on, the second half silly. Malkin is a top 5 player in the league - most teams would love to have a guy that good.

Nash would surely play on Pittsburgh's first line - not that it would matter - second line he plays with Malkin.

Old
05-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Nash would be the best winger on the Penguins, except when Malkin is moved to wing, Robert.

Old
05-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
There we have it, thanks A90..

Now I know why I don't know. The difference in the three worst penalties are intricate.

Old
05-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Nash would be the best winger on the Penguins, except when Malkin is moved to wing, Robert.
I'd like to see it before believing it.. He would have to earn the puck on Pittsburgh, and learn how to beat the goalie on break aways ....

Old
05-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Robert: would you rather have one of these players as a top line player for the Columbus squad over Nash: Kunitz, Guerin, Fedotenko, or Talbot?

Do you want one of those guys to be the captain for Columbus over Nash?

Would you trade Nash straight up for any of those players?

Old
05-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...ttendance.aspx

A damn good article.

05-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Robert: would you rather have one of these players as a top line player for the Columbus squad over Nash: Kunitz, Guerin, Fedotenko, or Talbot?

Do you want one of those guys to be the captain for Columbus over Nash?

Would you trade Nash straight up for any of those players?
Guerin is near the end of his career, Talbot is a two way guy so no to them. I wouldn't take either Kunitz or Fedotinko alone over Nash but together their 39 goals and 53 assists for the same money would improve the Blue Jackets overall.

Old
05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Guerin is near the end of his career, Talbot is a two way guy so no to them. I wouldn't take either Kunitz or Fedotinko alone over Nash but together their 39 goals and 53 assists for the same money would improve the Blue Jackets overall.
For some reason, I don't see a line of

Kunitz - Malhotra - Fedotenko carrying the CBJ to the playoffs this past season, Robert. Mason or no Mason.

Old
05-21-2009, 10:19 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
There we have it, thanks A90..

Now I know why I don't know. The difference in the three worst penalties are intricate.
So I guess the only difference is a match penalty is a game misconduct that results in a PP, whereas a game misconduct is just that.

Or something.

Old
05-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
For some reason, I don't see a line of

Kunitz - Malhotra - Fedotenko carrying the CBJ to the playoffs this past season, Robert. Mason or no Mason.
If I where the GM Malhotra would not be on the team. The point is Matthew, the Blue Jackets are a one man offensive team. To much effort and energy is being placed on the mood of Rick Nash on any given night. Nash is a great player that needs to be on a team where he is not the best and the Blue Jackets need several less than super star players who know how to score and win.

As long as Rick Nash is the lone star on the Blue Jackets every season will be a struggle to make the playoffs. I'm fine with keeping Nash but get some offensive players equal to or better than him, which isn't that hard if you put Nash in the pool of all NHL players and exclude him from the Blue Jacket pool. Until then the Blue Jackets will continue to be an average or below average NHL team.

Last edited by Robert: 05-21-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old
05-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I didn't see the play in question, but a match penalty is automatically looked at by the league to see if further suspension is required.

Old
05-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
If I where the GM Malhotra would not be on the team. The point is Matthew, the Blue Jackets are a one man offensive team. To much effort and energy is being placed on the mood of Rick Nash on any given night. Nash is a great player that needs to be on a team where he is not the best and the Blue Jackets need several less than super star players who know how to score and win.

As long as Rick Nash is the lone star on the Blue Jackets every season will be a struggle to make the playoffs. I'm fine with keeping Nash but get some offensive players equal to or better than him, which isn't that hard if you put Nash in the pool of all NHL players and exclude him from the Blue Jacket pool. Until then the Blue Jackets will continue to be an average or below average NHL team.
This is going off-topic but...

I've been on the "bring in better players" bandwagon as long as anyone, and took my fair share of heat for not wanting to "build patiently." That said, it seems clear that, until management knows for sure what it has in the three young guns - Brassard, Voracek and Filatov - it's not going to either trade Nash for multiple pieces or add another high-priced forward to the roster. In other words, management I believe hopes that those players will become the "offensive players equal to or better than him." That's my take anyway.

That said, Kunitz is the kind of player the Jackets sorely need. A genuine grinder who can genuinely score. I realize he's not a 70-point kind of player, but he brings an element the CBJ currently lacks.

That said, and back on-topic, that Malkin kid can play, hm?

http://www.tsn.ca/window/oneclip_nhl...tml#clip174980

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 05-22-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old
05-22-2009, 07:05 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd like to see it before believing it.. He would have to earn the puck on Pittsburgh, and learn how to beat the goalie on break aways ....
I prefer that you believe whatever you choose, Robert, because I certainly don't want to see it! And, by the way, his 41 goals tops both Crosby and Malkin, so he must have figured out how to beat the goalie some of the time! The way those two pass, I'm sure they'd have no trouble finding Nash.

Old
05-22-2009, 07:37 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Havlat just got KOed by Kronwall.

Old
05-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Renion

Marty Man, he looked like he was completely out for a while there, even with his eyes open.

Old
05-22-2009, 07:39 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Chicago 5 Minute PP on the way.

And Kane just got tripped by Cleary plain as day, no call.

edit- 5 minute major-fail, but another one coming. If Chicago doesn't score on basically 7 straight minutes worth of PP against Detroit's PK...

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 05-22-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old
05-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I can't believe they called that Kronwall hit "interference". It was a whole lot of bad things, but it's probably the one time in any game ever where the Wings weren't interfering. There was more interference on their 5 min penalty kill...

I worry now though that the refs are gonna "even this one out"...I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

Old
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Renion

Yeah, didn't have a problem with that hit. Scary results do not a penalty make.

Old
05-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Yeah, didn't have a problem with that hit. Scary results do not a penalty make.
Well it's like, if they wanted to call it charging, or roughing or whatever.... that's one thing. But making up a penalty after the fact, and the penalty being technically the wrong call.... ouch.

Old
05-22-2009, 08:09 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Well it's like, if they wanted to call it charging, or roughing or whatever.... that's one thing. But making up a penalty after the fact, and the penalty being technically the wrong call.... ouch.
I think there is a slight reputation Kronwall has built himself for head-hunting at the blueline and leaving his feet. I'm not saying that's what happend on this play but if I'm the ref I'm watching Kronwall anytime he's on the ice and a forward is trying to move the puck out of the defensive zone.

I hate Kronwall. In 5 years he's going to be a well known dirty S.O.B. around the league.

Old
05-22-2009, 08:21 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
I worry now though that the refs are gonna "even this one out"...I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.
See my previous post about Cleary's "forgiven" trip.

Old
05-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Robert
BOB

3-0 Hawks is now a 3-3 tie, gotta give the wings credit, they never quit. What amazes me is that no team in the NHL can figure out how to remove Holmstrom from the crease. That dude is making a living standing in front of the goalie as though he owns the blue paint.

One would think with all of the NHL brains throughout the league someone would figure out Detroit's major punch is Holmstrom and neutralize him...

Old
05-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Renion

Quote:
3-0 Hawks is now a 3-3 tie, gotta give the wings credit, they never quit. What amazes me is that no team in the NHL can figure out how to remove Holmstrom from the crease. That dude is making a living standing in front of the goalie as though he owns the blue paint.

One would think with all of the NHL brains throughout the league someone would figure out Detroit's major punch is Holmstrom and neutralize him...
Weird to think about, but Holmstrom is probably the player I've wanted on the Jackets longer than any other. We've been so long without a player with his abilities. Was Heinze really the last player we had who could come close to that role?

I think the problem with trying to neutralize Holmstrom is that it can easily make things worse for the goaltender if a battle is always going on in front of him. There aren't many defenders (if any) who could effectively stave off Holmstrom and not impair their goaltender's vision at the same time--all while not taking a penalty as well.

Old
05-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Robert
BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Weird to think about, but Holmstrom is probably the player I've wanted on the Jackets longer than any other. We've been so long without a player with his abilities. Was Heinze really the last player we had who could come close to that role?

I think the problem with trying to neutralize Holmstrom is that it can easily make things worse for the goaltender if a battle is always going on in front of him. There aren't many defenders (if any) who could effectively stave off Holmstrom and not impair their goaltender's vision at the same time--all while not taking a penalty as well.
Heinze was that player for us, and the first mistake by DM for not resigning him-but thats another thread.

Your explaination for Holmstrom's success is spot on! I was thinking teams could circle players into the crease hitting him to the ice whenever it looks like a puck would be shot into the crease?

Something needs to be done to move his fat ass out of the crease or no team has a chance in a 7 game series vs. Detroit.

Closed Thread