HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey III (All Non-Jackets related NHL/Hockey Talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Oh, one more thing to think about based on the current playoffs, what do Carolina, and Anaheim have in common?
Former Cup winners from this decade, lowest seeds still alive in their respective conferences, have 2-1 series leads.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Former Cup winners from this decade, lowest seeds still alive in their respective conferences, have 2-1 series leads.

And, winning experience. You know your stuff Moo.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:

They were also two of the hotter teams down the stretch, if not THE hottest.

I looked this up because I needed exact numbers to back up my point... but Anaheim was 11-3-1 to close out the regular season, really turning it up a notch after the trade deadline passed a week prior to that 14-game stretch beginning.

Carolina was 11-1-2 in March, and also won its first three games in April for a 14-1-2 stretch. Lost its last two, yes, but really solidified itself as a deadly playoff team.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
They were also two of the hotter teams down the stretch, if not THE hottest.

I looked this up because I needed exact numbers to back up my point... but Anaheim was 11-3-1 to close out the regular season, really turning it up a notch after the trade deadline passed a week prior to that 14-game stretch beginning.

Carolina was 11-1-2 in March, and also won its first three games in April for a 14-1-2 stretch. Lost its last two, yes, but really solidified itself as a deadly playoff team.

Excellent work, I look up stuff before posting often. There are to many folks with hockey skill on this board to toss out stuff (other than opinion) without checking first..

But your point about momentum is so true, there where some posters aound here who said (several weeks ago) momentum was a non factor..so wrong.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Excellent work, I look up stuff before posting often. There are to many folks with hockey skill on this board to toss out stuff (other than opinion) without checking first..

But your point about momentum is so true, there where some posters aound here who said (several weeks ago) momentum was a non factor..so wrong.
I'm bored. I'll go through the first-round losers' regular season finishes in no particular order.

• New Jersey: 0-5-1 then 4-1-0 to end the season. Hard read there. I would side with the 4-1-0, especially since it took Carolina to a Game 7 and SHOULD have won had Brodeur not completely collapsed.

• Montreal: 5-0-1 and then 0-3-1. I'd say the latter, given the season overall, coaching change, the fans basically giving up, HFBoards crashing mid-season over the "big news", etc.

• Philadelphia: 1-2-0 in last three games. Doesn't seem much, but they lost home ice against Pittsburgh by failing to secure one point against the Rangers, losing twice to them in that three-game span. (Win was over the Isles.) Home ice may have been a key in that series. You never know. But this is kind of a weaker argument in my eyes for the momentum factor, compared to other teams anyway.

• NY Rangers: Well... they were 8-4-1 in March, and then they later won three straight to end the regular season and clearly had the momentum with a 3-1 series lead. We know what then happened, but they definitely had the momentum going into the playoffs.

• Columbus: Yeah... we know this one. No use rehashing it. Sorry if even attempting to mention it causes bad memories.

• San Jose: They were 2-3-0 in their last five — one win being a SO win with a Colorado team in a game that had no business in being a game — and then fell behind 3-1 to Anaheim in the series and was ousted in Game 6. They were in cruise control after the all-star break and never did turn it on.

• St. Louis: 9-1-1 to finish then got swept. This is a "go figure" type of stat.

• Calgary: 7-11-0 to close out the regular season, and Game 80 was a 4-1 loss to the Canucks which helped complete the Flames' choke job of the Northwest Division title.

Old
05-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Was going to come on and post about the two great games last night but didn't want to interrupt the mutual admiration society meting.

It seems a silly and obvious thing to point out but what stood out to me in both games, as well as in the Canucks-Hawks last game (only one I've sen of that series) is the skating. Skate, skate, skate like a demon - not just speed either, but just the movement. They were beautiful games to watch, and the physical play just made it even more so.

Old
05-07-2009, 07:51 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Oh, one more thing to think about based on the current playoffs, what do Carolina, and Anaheim have in common?
Quote:
Quote:

Damn, I thought the answer was "beaches"!

Old
05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Damn, I thought the answer was "beaches"!
I don't think both teams have a player on par with the looks of Mayim Bialik though.

Old
05-07-2009, 01:56 PM
anteater90

Quote:
I don't think both teams have a player on par with the looks of Mayim Bialik though.
Wooaahh!!!!

Old
05-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Hoping to jinx the Canucks, the Hawks look like sheet-again.

Old
05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Darcy Hordichump, in honor of your half-hearted penalty:

Old
05-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Robert
Foligno family

My Hawks won so I'm happy bout that, but Hiller just gave up a soft goal...can't do that vs. the Wings.

Old
05-07-2009, 10:34 PM
cpmCBJ

Quote:
I'm bored. I'll go through the first-round losers' regular season finishes in no particular order.

• St. Louis: 9-1-1 to finish then got swept. This is a "go figure" type of stat.
If momentum is so important, then why is a result that completely destroys your theory a "go figure" type of stat?

Old
05-07-2009, 10:49 PM
JKTS61

Anaheim just "Blue Jacket-ed" two PP's in a row! The first one they made it about 30 seconds then took a penalty, the next they only made it around 7 seconds before going 4 on 4.

Old
05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
lmao

Old
05-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmCBJ View Post
If momentum is so important, then why is a result that completely destroys your theory a "go figure" type of stat?
That was the point on the St. Louis entry.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:52 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Beauchemin & Kopecky with a nice scrap just now.

Old
05-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Casework

Quote:
That was the point on the St. Louis entry.
Regardless of the end of the regular season play, I think the biggest stat is that the 4 teams that lost had the most man games lost to injury.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmCBJ View Post
I believe your question answers itself.

At best, the data proves inconclusive.

The one thing that does bind all the first-round losers together? Disappointment.

Old
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Guerin scores the second goal for the Pens, and the color guy says, "the guy who looks like GI Joe just scored."

I thought that was kind of funny, do they still make GI Joe's?

Old
05-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Guerin scores the second goal for the Pens, and the color guy says, "the guy who looks like GI Joe just scored."

I thought that was kind of funny, do they still make GI Joe's?
I don't think so...he's 30 years old at least..

As for the Washington/Pittsburgh game. As many know I love Ovechkin but his knee to knee hit on Gonchar was bad..., I don't like that kind of stuff. He could have chose to not do that.

Old
05-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't think so...he's 30 years old at least..

As for the Washington/Pittsburgh game. As many know I love Ovechkin but his knee to knee hit on Gonchar was bad..., I don't like that kind of stuff. He could have chose to not do that.
It looked intentional. Potentially a career ender if that catches Gonchar just right.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
It looked intentional. Potentially a career ender if that catches Gonchar just right.
I specifically avoided that word due to the implications. OV was skating with his legs spread prior to Gonchar entering his space, my issue is OV saw what was coming and did nothing to prevent it..

Gonchar is a key player, equal to a Rick Nash as far as impacting a teams success imo...I did not like what happened and hope Gonchar is ok.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I specifically avoided that word due to the implications. OV was skating with his legs spread prior to Gonchar entering his space, my issue is OV saw what was coming and did nothing to prevent it..

Gonchar is a key player, equal to a Rick Nash as far as impacting a teams success imo...I did not like what happened and hope Gonchar is ok.
Yeah hate to see knee on knee. Usually serious injury results from it. Kevin Dineen is prime example.

Gonchar will be big loss if he cant come back.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Jackets need a Mike Green...bad.

Closed Thread