HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Komisarek a 6 million dollar man?An assistant GM thinks so.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:05 PM
habdynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Like the Detroit Red Wings?
detroit is one of a kind the habs will never be like the wings... ( hate to say it )

maybe more like the penguins, blackhawks or capitols ...

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Stradale

I dont want to lose Komisarek but 5-6M$, he's gone BUT we need to replace his physical presence because we will probably be the softest/smallest D core in the NHL after hes gone.

We lost Rivet, Souray and probably Komisarek, we need to replace them with big body. Our D is getting smaller year after year.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Anything over 4.5 million is over payment. If you didn't have Hamrlik's albatross you might be able to make it work but you can't have Hammer and Komo taking that much cap space when both offer next to nothing offensively.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Miller Time

i think i will cry if komi signs for anything overr 4.5M... at 6M i'll drive down to the bell centre and kick gainey in the nuts myself...

someone please explain to me how/why Gainey chose not to get a deal done with Komi last summer, or at the very least, during this year???

that was a colossal mistake in my books!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Free agents aren't exactly beating down the door to sign here, by the time Gainey gets someone who actually wants to sign here he'll be on plan D again see Samsonov example. I'd much rather overpay for Komi than throw out 4 million for someone like Jeff Finger or the like.
Apparently to many people here, if we don't re-sign Komi, the best we'll get is a mediocre player a la Finger.

As far as I'm concerned, after a bad season, we were able to lure Hamrlik here and he's no slob.
He's had a bad season this year like most of our team, but he's still a very important part of our top3.

Maybe we won't be able to sign JayBo, but maybe we can get Beauchemin and Semenov(6'6 245lbs).
There's a good bunch of potential UFAs, obviously some will be re-signed.
But Beauchemin, Oduya, Mara, Morris, Boynton, Skrastin, Skoula, Koistinen, Zanon, Kalinin, Gil, Scuderi, Blake, Semenov, Ohlund, Leopold, Aucoin...

I mean take your pick, there's a bunch of upcoming UFAs that if given a little overpayment might very well end up here.

I don't think the situation is as bad as 6M for Komi or 4M for Richardson.

There's a lot of possibilities out there. Some will obviously die off eventually as re-signals will happen. But for now, there's no reason to want Komi re-signed at 6M.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

If Maguire becomes the GM of the Wild you will know where the 6 mill + will be coming from.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:26 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If Maguire becomes the GM of the Wild you will know where the 6 mill + will be coming from.
"Komisarek, please accept to become MY MONSTER!!!!!!"

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Mcguire ain't that crazy believe me he would never offer that much!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He also put up 39 points compared to Komi's 11

Rafalski signed at 6 million and to be honest Komisarek is not even close at the same level of play

Maybe not this year, but last year they are pretty close. Rafalski is a different style of player. Komosarek is 50lbs heavier and hits like a truck plus blocks shots.

I think he would be a huge loss if he signed elswhere. People need to get their heads out of the sand, the team as a whole had a terrible 2nd half for many reasons, just because of that you don;t go giving away/letting go all your players, that would be ultra-dumb.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Fire Brunet*

Losing Komi would be a huge blow to the team, that's for sure

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Maybe not this year, but last year they are pretty close. Rafalski is a different style of player. Komosarek is 50lbs heavier and hits like a truck plus blocks shots.

I think he would be a huge loss if he signed elswhere. People need to get their heads out of the sand, the team as a whole had a terrible 2nd half for many reasons, just because of that you don;t go giving away/letting go all your players, that would be ultra-dumb.
You don't pay a strictly defensive D-Man more than 3,5 - 4 millions a year. Ken Holland said that a while ago, and I agree with him. No matter how physical your D-core is, when you possess the puck, these guys are less important. Montreal needs puck-moving d-men. Right now we have to rely on Markov exclusively (and Hammer to a lesser extent) to get the puck out our zone.

Old
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Apparently to many people here, if we don't re-sign Komi, the best we'll get is a mediocre player a la Finger.

As far as I'm concerned, after a bad season, we were able to lure Hamrlik here and he's no slob.
He's had a bad season this year like most of our team, but he's still a very important part of our top3.

Maybe we won't be able to sign JayBo, but maybe we can get Beauchemin and Semenov(6'6 245lbs).
There's a good bunch of potential UFAs, obviously some will be re-signed.
But Beauchemin, Oduya, Mara, Morris, Boynton, Skrastin, Skoula, Koistinen, Zanon, Kalinin, Gil, Scuderi, Blake, Semenov, Ohlund, Leopold, Aucoin...

I mean take your pick, there's a bunch of upcoming UFAs that if given a little overpayment might very well end up here.

I don't think the situation is as bad as 6M for Komi or 4M for Richardson.

There's a lot of possibilities out there. Some will obviously die off eventually as re-signals will happen. But for now, there's no reason to want Komi re-signed at 6M.
I'm sorry Kriss, but did you just mention Semenov as a replacement for Komisarek. Dude was worse this year than Komisarek

Boynton is bad. He got benched at the end of the year and *****ed about it, too.

Skoula and Kalinin are terrible and definitely cannot replace what Komi brings.

Aucoin is soooo slow. You can't have Schneider and him on the same team.

I don't think the Habs are completely screwed without Komi, but he is far and away our best option. Most of those other guys will probably go elsewhere. The guys who are actually very good like Oduya, Ohlund and Beauchemin will probably go elsewhere. I'm hoping Komi stays.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I overlooked that.

Well, he would've been on a pace for 237 hits (#10 overall, #2 D) and #2 overall in blocked shots.

I think I see it now
Volchenkov and Regehr make 2.2 and 2.3 million respectively and imo these are 2 of the best defensive defensemen in the league, and always on top in the shot blocking/hitting categories.

Can someone honestly tell me that Komo is better than either of these players? And if yes, good enough to deserve 3 times as much?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Volchenkov and Regehr make 2.2 and 2.3 million respectively and imo these are 2 of the best defensive defensemen in the league, and always on top in the shot blocking/hitting categories.

Can someone honestly tell me that Komo is better than either of these players? And if yes, good enough to deserve 3 times as much?
You make a good point here...

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:59 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:

Robyn Regehr makes 4 million. Dude, get your facts straight.

Volchenkov is underpaid for what he does, but he's a rare exception. Maybe if you think Regehr is only paid 2 million, Komi's price tag will seem high. But it's not when you consider the real norm. Look at how much Mike Commodore makes. Look at how much Cory Sarich makes. Volchenkov is an exception. Do people really think a 90 point player costs only 3 million like Parise?

Old
05-06-2009, 10:17 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Robyn Regehr makes 4 million. Dude, get your facts straight.

Volchenkov is underpaid for what he does, but he's a rare exception. Maybe if you think Regehr is only paid 2 million, Komi's price tag will seem high. But it's not when you consider the real norm. Look at how much Mike Commodore makes. Look at how much Cory Sarich makes. Volchenkov is an exception. Do people really think a 90 point player costs only 3 million like Parise?
My bad, bad google info. Either way though, Komo is not worth nearly as much, and even on the open market I wouldn't see a player like Regehr or Volchenkov getting 6 million.

Commodore was signed to an over-inflated salary and with the cap going down and the economy in recession, I can't see a GM making that same mistake again for a defenseman who had 1 good season and has absolutely zero offensive ability.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanator76 View Post
You don't pay a strictly defensive D-Man more than 3,5 - 4 millions a year. Ken Holland said that a while ago, and I agree with him. No matter how physical your D-core is, when you possess the puck, these guys are less important. Montreal needs puck-moving d-men. Right now we have to rely on Markov exclusively (and Hammer to a lesser extent) to get the puck out our zone.
I wouldn't want a full team of them, but I have no issue at all paying Komisarek 4-4.5 mil per year. Preferably we can sign him for 5-6 years and add a couple of lesser years to bring the cap hit to 3.7-3.9. At 6 million, that's a bit ridiculous.

With a healthy Markov and Komisarek it goes a long way to neutralising the big guns on the other team. When both were healthy last year, this was a big key to success...this year both suffered serious injuries and we suffered because of it.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
My bad, bad google info. Either way though, Komo is not worth nearly as much, and even on the open market I wouldn't see a player like Regehr or Volchenkov getting 6 million.

Commodore was signed to an over-inflated salary and with the cap going down and the economy in recession, I can't see a GM making that same mistake again for a defenseman who had 1 good season and has absolutely zero offensive ability.
Commodore was not a mistake. His signing was in line with all the other signings. Kim Johnson makes 4.85 million. Roszival makes 5 million. Scott Hannan makes 4.2 million. Brett ****ing Clark at 3.5 million. It's just the way it is. Now, Komi's pricetag probably isn't 6 million, but it's definitely around 5 million, give or take a couple thousand.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Regehr made 4.6 this year and carries a 4.05 cap hit. He's better with the puck but not as physical as Komisarek. I'd take that contract.

Volckeckov made 2.1 this year and has a 2.5 mil cap hit, but he is not as good as Komisarek. Phillips is better and makes 3.5 mil per year.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Komi doesn't score and doesn't make many amazing passes (a la Markov). Question is, do we value his leadership and team spirit enough to pay him more than Markov? I don't think that's the case.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Komi doesn't score and doesn't make many amazing passes (a la Markov). Question is, do we value his leadership and team spirit enough to pay him more than Markov? I don't think that's the case.
Exactly, how much is that worth in dollars and cents?

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Long Sky

coulda been avoided

komi at 4.5 mil seems about right. give him more years at this base salary and offer some possible bonuses. If koivu doesn't re-sign maybe dangle the idea of him being captain? If he walks it's another negative for the team because mtl could have made a deal at the trade deadline and recieved some kind of assets. So 4.5 multi year plus captain, comments.

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
CanadienErrant*

Komi won't be back...

First: the Habs won't give him 5 million a year or more

Second: Quebec taxes

Third: He is American. How would you like to have your National Anthem booed ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't want a full team of them, but I have no issue at all paying Komisarek 4-4.5 mil per year. Preferably we can sign him for 5-6 years and add a couple of lesser years to bring the cap hit to 3.7-3.9. At 6 million, that's a bit ridiculous.

With a healthy Markov and Komisarek it goes a long way to neutralising the big guns on the other team. When both were healthy last year, this was a big key to success...this year both suffered serious injuries and we suffered because of it.
A 5 years contract with a 4 millions cap hit is pretty much the most I'd be willing to offer him. Quite honetly, his inability to move the puck this year when paired with anybody else than Markov is worrying. And I'm one of those who think that no matter who you put with Markov, the player will look good. Not saying O'Byrne could bring exactly the same thing than Komisarek, but he could actually look like an ok #4 D-Man if he played regularly with Markov.

I'd look really closely at Ohlund this summer.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
DougHarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Komi won't be back...

First: the Habs won't give him 5 million a year or more

Second: Quebec taxes

Third: He is American. How would you like to have your National Anthem booed ?
So basically we're screwed because even the Canadian anthem has been booed in the past

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote