HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tall(er) player looking for stick advice

Old
04-14-2009, 05:14 PM
pspeezy

vCash: 500
Tall(er) player looking for stick advice

New to the forum. Glad to be here. Been playing rec adult ice hockey for about a year now. Plan on continuing for the next 30.

I'm 6'4 and need a new stick. I think the normal 'senior' composite sticks are a tad bit short for me. I'm considering the Nike/Bauer Supreme One85 (PM9) because its suppose to 2 inches longer than standard 'senior' composites. I'd rather not pay $165 for that particular stick (until I become a better player), but I think my options are limited for finding a decent, longer stick.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on finding a longer stick? Do you any other brands offer longer versions of there sticks? Or are any brands known for having longer senior versions of their sticks?

I've heard of adding an extension to make sticks longer, but am afraid it might mess up the feel...or weight ratio...or something. Is this legit to think, or are extensions a good option for lengthening a stick?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

pspeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

im 6'3 and use a bit shorter than normal stick. where is the stick comming up to on your face off skates?

anyway, you could always get a butt end. a normal size wooden butt end weighs about 50 grams. you can get a composite butt end and you really wont even tell its in there. i have two composite butt ends. they are really nice. thats the route i would go this way you arent limiting yourself with stick selection

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 05:27 PM
#2eddieshore

nhl players use wooden extensions and therefore i wouldnt be worried about doing this.

keep it to a minimum length though because it will effect flex.

#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
DevsFan84

I bought a Sherwood RM19 on ebay, and that thing is huge. I'm 6"1 and had to cut like 4 inches off the stick to make it useable. I don't know if they're all like that but it might be a model to check out, the price dropped on them a lot I think.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

If you check out pro stocks on ebay, some are very long. Otherwise, you have to buy retail and put an extension in. Adding 2-3 inches won't really change the nature of a stick all that much, so don't worry. I'm lucky enough to be about 6'1, so retail is usually right on for me.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
noobman

Are you really having trouble?

I have a tough time finding sticks for my height too but if you go to a large pro-shop you should find some really long hockey sticks. 63 inches is the largest shaft you can get, and that should be MORE than enough considering that you're 76 inches tall.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Hockeyfan68

I'm 6 foot 4 inches and use a stick a bit shorter than the technical length one should use. The technical explanation is to have the stick go up to the bottom of your nose while standing without your skates on.

I have it touching the bottom of my chin because that is my length I prefer because it fits my shooting mechanics. I get the correct fulcrum for my personal shooting style that way the " my wheelhouse" thing as they say.

Some guys who do more stick handling prefer a shorter than normal stick as well but if you like to steal pucks or play defensively you would want a longer stick with more reach. maybe even longer than what you should technically use.

Experiment with different lengths.

I also experiment with different lies. I use a 5 lie or a 5.5 lie mainly. Some tall guys might like a 6 lie but most will like the smaller lie.

I mention the lie because I use a shorter stick than a normal tall guy may use so it helps me out.

Things also depend on whether or not you are an upright skater or a crouching type skater low to the ice.

It really is a trial by error method of finding what works for you personally. there are NO set rules to stick prefrence for specific heights and what not.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
pspeezy

thanks for the replies everyone. my current stick is one of the old black/silver stealths with a gaborik curve. it comes up to about my chin without skates on. i do feel like im hunching over a little bit too much when i play, but i haven't been playing for all that long and i've only had one stick so its hard to tell what i'm going to prefer. i also have experienced some back pain, but i dont know if its related to my stick more or just bad form...or if its even hockey related at all.

honestly, i think im just going to go with my gut instinct and try a supreme one85 w/ the pm9. its longer, and the pm9 is considerably different than the gaborik curve im used to. since its early on in my hockey career...why not try some new stuff out and see what i prefer?

Old
04-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityylightss View Post
thanks for the replies everyone. my current stick is one of the old black/silver stealths with a gaborik curve. it comes up to about my chin without skates on. i do feel like im hunching over a little bit too much when i play, but i haven't been playing for all that long and i've only had one stick so its hard to tell what i'm going to prefer. i also have experienced some back pain, but i dont if its related to my stick more or just bad form...or if its even hockey related at all.
the stick is really preference. i have mine up to about my mouth off skates, i know people that use it below their chin. your back problem probably has to do with bad form. you are suppose to keep your back straight when skating, that should relieve some of the pain. you could always get a butt end for it

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 01:21 PM
pspeezy

did it. pulled the trigger on the supreme one85 pm9. pretty excited about it. if it doesn't work out, at least i tried something new and i know what i don't want in future sticks.

thanks for the help everyone.

Old
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
did it. pulled the trigger on the supreme one85 pm9. pretty excited about it. if it doesn't work out, at least i tried something new and i know what i don't want in future sticks.

I think you'll be happy with the PM9 ... the local sports stores here told me that the PM9 and the P88 (Lindros) are the most popular people buy thusly hard to find sometimes as they sell out.

I've learned long ago to snatch up a blade you find that you like if you have the casholah. It never fails ... you find the perfect stick and the store doesn't carry it again or the next year's stock are different sticks. Then you are hunting online and hope you can find it for a fair price.

Good luck with your stick I am sure that you enjoy it though i did not care for the PM9 curve.

Old
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
ShootIt

Quote:

How do you like the stick?

Just bought the same stick as yours, in 102 flex.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
New to the forum. Glad to be here. Been playing rec adult ice hockey for about a year now. Plan on continuing for the next 30.

and need a new stick. I think the normal 'senior' composite sticks are a tad bit short for me. I'm considering the Nike/Bauer Supreme One85 (PM9) because its suppose to 2 inches longer than standard 'senior' composites. I'd rather not pay $165 for that particular stick (until I become a better player), but I think my options are limited for finding a decent, longer stick.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on finding a longer stick? Do you any other brands offer longer versions of there sticks? Or are any brands known for having longer senior versions of their sticks?

I've heard of adding an extension to make sticks longer, but am afraid it might mess up the feel...or weight ratio...or something. Is this legit to think, or are extensions a good option for lengthening a stick?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I've replied in this thread already BUT didn't add some info I feel may be important.

I'm 6'4" as stated earlier and switched to composites in december. That being said I use a 2 piece stick.

I bought 2 Bauer Supreme One55 shafts to see if I would like a composite shaft, didn't want to spend money on something I would not like using. I paid $41.99 each and bought 2.

Both of them came with extra length and had markings that let you know that if you cut it there what the flex would be. The shafts were 87 flex uncut and had lines for a few inches like 96, 105 etc.

I cut mine at about a 100 flex and it has sevred me well.

Stick companies are starting to do this now, I saw a couple of Harrow shafts with that as well.

Just remember the flex business when you cut it because it changes the stick flex. You probably know that already as most seem to these days. The Bauer Supreme shafts come at 54 inches long i think.

I am gonna buy 2 One 95 shafts when they come in to the store I usually go to soon. I guess the new line was released in Mid April .... still waiting for them here.

For you since you are the same height as i am you may be all set not even cutting them as they go right up to the bottom of my nose in my stocking feet (with the blade in it of course) which is supposed to be the proper length but I always use a slightly shorter one and cut a couple of inches off of it to make a 100 flex shaft.

Hope this helps ...

Old
04-23-2009, 11:12 AM
pspeezy

thanks for the info hockeyfan 68. i haven't looked too much into 2 piece sticks yet. if i'm having trouble finding a stick i like, maybe i'll switch to 2 pieces to save cash until i find what i'm looking for. what do you weigh at 6'4? i'm not super skinny, but i'm pretty sure i'm underweight for my height. i weigh in between 190-195. i'm definitely looking to put on some muscle. also what position do you play? i've settled at left wing for now (i'm r/h) seeing as i've done the best when i've played there.

shootit...i actually haven't received my stick yet cause i guess it was left at my community leasing office however nobody ever informed me. i have a game this sunday though and will probably shoot around with it on friday or saturday. i'll let you know how i like it then. i got the 102 flex as well. how do you like yours?

Old
04-23-2009, 11:22 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
shootit...i actually haven't received my stick yet cause i guess it was left at my community leasing office however nobody ever informed me. i have a game this sunday though and will probably shoot around with it on friday or saturday. i'll let you know how i like it then. i got the 102 flex as well. how do you like yours?
So far, I like it.
Going from a one 95, I like the 2 extra inches from the 85 and it seems just as balanced and light as the 95.

Old
04-23-2009, 12:03 PM
pspeezy

what are your experiences with the pm9 curve? what are the pros/cons? what part of your game has been improved or suffered?

Old
04-23-2009, 12:25 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
what are your experiences with the pm9 curve? what are the pros/cons? what part of your game has been improved or suffered?
The best curve I have used.
I have no problem with raising my shot with the curve and I noticed my passing seemed to be spot on more consistently.
It is easier to do slapshots with the curve and I really do not have any cons with this blade.
I guess toe drags would be harder, but, I usually a defenseman when I play pick up.

Old
04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I bought a PM9 Bauer Supremem One90 composite blade for $51.99 or whatever and dislike it. I am sure I could get used to it but the mid-heel curve points the angle of the blade more forward which I am not used to.

I'm a Recchi, Heatley (Easton P9 pattern), Lindros (P88) , Martin St.louis curve type guy either 1/2" or slightly deeper.

I would prefer a curve that is almost straight honestly but you cannot buy those any longer since composites took over the wood market.

The PM9 had an awesome shot value and accurate but I didn't like the passing with it. It seemed too flat in the middle of the blade and with that forward angle it just didn't work for me. I am saving it to use outdoors or something because I bring the goal cage in the back of the pickup and shoot pucks like mad on outdoor ice in the winter.

Really though not sure if this helps answer your question or not about the pros and cons of a PM9. I am sure 10 others will have 10 different answers since everyone is different but this is my story.

Old
04-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
thanks for the info hockeyfan 68. i haven't looked too much into 2 piece sticks yet. if i'm having trouble finding a stick i like, maybe i'll switch to 2 pieces to save cash until i find what i'm looking for. what do you weigh at 6'4? i'm not super skinny, but i'm pretty sure i'm underweight for my height. i weigh in between 190-195. i'm definitely looking to put on some muscle. also what position do you play? i've settled at left wing for now (i'm r/h) seeing as i've done the best when i've played there.

I'm a big dude at 235lbs and require at least a 100 flex or else the stick will break, even a wood one. You should do fine with that 102 flex.

I play left wing (I shoot left) but also play the opposite wing as I make rink wide backhand passes very easily which again requires a straighter blade. My personal preference is all.

The benefits of a 2 piece stick are that you can change out the blade whenever you feel like it at a reasonable $$$ for you. Some decent composite blades start at about $34, under that they are cheaper and will perform okay but will break easier since they are not re-enforced very well and will also be heavier with less puck feel. Just what I heard .... I have used the better ones right from the get go so cannot comment on cheap blades I have opwned because I've not owned any yet.

Not to post this to brag but to explain the durability of composite blades, I can break panes of plexi when I shoot slapshots. I have always had a slapshot that people whether in highschool or college players have asked me about or stated they wished they could shoot like that.

My other shots are average and not bad but certainly not a pro level.

My slapper is .... so when I say that these composite blades last they do. I broke one with a one timer that I caught too far on the toe of the blade and that would happen even with wood. This wood vs composite business is silly because after having switched to composites there is NO comparison. Wood sticks are caveman tools.

I know I would have gone through at least 5 wood blades per one composite blade. The wood blade always had the same peoblem for me ... a dented pocket the height of the puck from shooting and the blade would crack at that height. Composites stay like new until they decide to break. BIG difference. You always have a new fresh blade and is why I like them.

Okay back to the point (I'm a windbag) ... 2 piece sticks are also used by some NHL dudes. Joe Thornton, Sidney Crosby etc. Some people like the feel of them better than a one piece. My 2 piece composites have the SAME good puck feel as the wood sticks I have used for 30+ years. No joke.

The difference I have noticed is that you need to get the more expensive blades that have the foam fill type deal in the blade or bladder this and that's like Easton uses for the Synergy line to have that puck feel.

I have 4 Montreal graphite blades here that you just cannot feel the puck on the blade. They sit gathering dust in my closet. $130 worth of wasted money.

But anyway the whole point you are asking (sorry I get winded hehe) is that at your weight you should do fine with a lower flex rating. One benefit of a lower flex is wicked wristshots al'a Ovechkin who uses a ridiculously low flex for his strength and skill level and also why he breaks way too many sticks in a single game. I heard he breaks 6 to 8 a game!

He likes the whip in them I guess.

Hockey is so funny because you take 10 guys and ALL 10 have a different stick setup than the other. Also all the stick setups work for all 10 so there really isn't a wrong way to do anything.

I skate more upright than some people but not really upright so my stick length accomodates what works for me. I drop down really low when I shoot but skate more upright when carrying the puck and when not carrying the puck I am skating lower than I do with it.

Kookiness I know but an example of how different everyone is.

Old
04-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Pierre Gotye

On dry land with no equipment on, your stick should come up to your chin. Somewhere between the bottom of your chin to just below your lower lip.

Once you get on your skates you'll lose a couple of inches.

I stand 6'7 this is what worked best for me.

As far as what stick to choose, it's different for everyone. The only one-piece sticks I like are way too pricey around $200 and I'm just not going to shell out that kind of money for one.

I use an old Easton T-flex two piece stick. I went to a one-piece earlier and it felt too heavy. Mind you I can get off better shots and such, but with the two-piece my passing, and stick handling felt more precise. That's because my two-piece feels like a feather to me.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 01:00 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
RM19s, one85 and Montreal composites are the longest stock composite sticks I know of. Most others are 60" and older models are 57" with a 3" plug. I believe 63" is the longest stick allowed in USA hockey(as well as the NHL, with the Chara exception).

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
simnorm

I'm almost 6'5". I play with tapered shafts that are 53" long and all have 5" wood extensions. With tapered blades in, the sticks come up to my lower lip when barefoot.

simnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
pspeezy

played in my first game with the supreme one85 w/ the pm9. scored two goals, maybe an assist too...i dont really remember. but i felt pretty comfortable with the stick. didn't feel like i was reaching or bending as much. need to work on my wristers a little with the pm9, but my snap shot felt pretty good. stickhandling, passing, accepting passes, and backhands all felt better.

satisified overall and looking forward to a great season.

Old
04-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
played in my first game with the supreme one85 w/ the pm9. scored two goals, maybe an assist too...i dont really remember. but i felt pretty comfortable with the stick. didn't feel like i was reaching or bending as much. need to work on my wristers a little with the pm9, but my snap shot felt pretty good. stickhandling, passing, accepting passes, and backhands all felt better.

satisified overall and looking forward to a great season.
Nice!! hey and 2 goals! Hockey is funny though, my next to last game I scored 4 goals and had 3 assists .... this last game earlier tonight .... one assist and our line was stoned by a hot goalie all night. he was killing us, we shoulda had 4 goals anyway between the three of us.

Hockey is one kooky bananas game sometimes.

Old
05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Hockeyfan68

Oh and as a side note I saw some of the new Bauer Supreme One95 one piece sticks that have an extra 3 inches or so in length for the tall guys. Since this is a tall guys thread I though i would mention that they do come in a longer length for tall players and they were at a 100+ flex. That is also with the new marked shaft telling what the flex is if you cut it there so if you did cut it you could make a 120+ flex. i was surprised at that for such a high flex.

Felt like a nice stick too but I am going to buy a couple of 102 flex One95 shafts and use replacement blades because I prefer that option but those also have extra length for tall guys.

these companies are catching on finally for the general public's needs.