HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Balsillie puts in $212.5 mil offer for the Coyotes

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Enstrom39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
The Arizona Republic article on the bankruptcy filing (with sale to Balsillie) makes it sound as if everything *could* be transferred by 30 June *and* the franchise could begin playing in Ontario in the fall.
Has Balsille started taking STH deposits yet

Old
05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
ranold26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1212 View Post
The NHL will get a black eye if the Coyotes move.
LOL! You think the average American sports fan cares?
Will ESPN be covering this relocation?

Old
05-05-2009, 08:48 PM
BigMac1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
You think the Canadian government will handle a $500 million expense (the team & new arena) at this time?

If you do, I can sell you the Golden Gate bridge for a dime, and throw in the bay area bridge for a nickel.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Egil

Quote:
Yeah, Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US. The NHL will get a black eye if the Coyotes move.
Black eye with who? Is the NFL not being in LA a "black eye" for the league? It isn't like the local population is going to rebel, and it won't look anywhere near as bad as the Seatle move in the NBA.

As for hockey in Arizona, so be it. Hockey is an expensive sport, and it is made even moreso when you are trying to make ice in temperatures over 30C.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:52 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
if they could pull a hasty move, why not? the situation in Phoenix would be beyond toxic next season.
according to what was said awhile ago in another thread, it takes only one vote to stop the team from moving and that is the thing.

There are a few teams(wont name them to enflame fans of those teams) who are reportedly in trouble and looking to move. Some teams, with the same owners may want to move and couild block any move the dogs do.

classic catch 22

Old
05-05-2009, 08:53 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
Balsillie should buy Thrashers instead of Coyotes. Atlanta is a horrible sports market. Only team that is left there in 20 years will be Falcons.

Support for Hawks, Thrashers and Braves are god awful. Braves drew 19000 for a game against Mets, a team from New York, and a division rival. And its not like Braves suck.

Hawks? Empty seats in the playoffs, game 7, against Heats.

I am not sure how successful Thrashers will even be once they actually do have on ice success. Looking at these records, i say,not too good.
not available at the moment and the only way he's going to get a team (and do what he wants with it) is an end-run. this is an end-run.

Old
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

New Suburban Toronto Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
I have little doubt that a 2nd Toronto team would make money. I think putting it in Toronto proper makes more sense then way out in Waterloo or Hamilton.

According to a prior TSN story...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=276141

...this is where a Toronto Arena (north of Pearson Intl) would be:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=16&iwloc=A

Old
19nazzy

Quote:
if they could pull a hasty move, why not? the situation in Phoenix would be beyond toxic next season.
Yup. And though they aren't the same sports, the NBA has done this exact same thing where a team has to be moved with less than a year's notice and in time for next season. It is doable.

05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
They were all over the PA Slots deal when the Penguins got rejected and floated rumors of the team moving to Kansas City.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by go Kim Johnson 514 View Post
What did he say? (I'm not challenging you I just need a refresher).
He took season ticket deposits using the Predators' logo and name when he did not Own them. He also used the NHL logo without permission.

He refused to put down a deposit for the team until relocation was approved, even though the Predators had a valid lease until 2028 with the City of Nashville.

He illegally released private e-mails from Leipold in an attempt to smear Bettman and BOG stating they stopped Leipold from selling to him when.

Then he wrote a letter to the city of Nashville claiming he was not moving the team while taking season ticket deposits for the Hamilton Predators and claiming to move them ASAP.

Last edited by Gnashville: 05-05-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old
05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Yeah, Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US. The NHL will get a black eye if the Coyotes move.
Just like the NFL moving from Los Angeles, a much larger city with a huge TV market? For better or worse, no one besides the fans losing their team really care in the long run.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
zenator

I doubt Balsille even cares if the team makes a profit. It is his toy.

I feel bad for Phoenix fans. I also feel bad for Atlanta, Nashville, and other southern fans when relocation is discussed.

But, to me, the Phoenix franchise is different than the others: They are still the Winnipeg Jets to me, and belong in Canada.

This is the 1 sun belt team that people can't argue against. It has been a financial disaster in Phoenix since day 1.

And because I'm still sore about the Jets moving, I welcome them back to Canada.

Hopefully the other sun belt teams work out their problems and thrive.

This can't make the NHL look bad. If the NBA, MLB, and even the NFL can have franchises move, why can't an NHL team move ?

Welcome back Jets !!! Sorry Phoenix fans, but they were ours FIRST.

I know Kitchener/Cambridge/Hamilton isn't Winnipeg, but at least it's going back to its home country.

Sorry if I offend you Phoenix fans, but as I type (just heard about this story), the emotions related to you getting the Jets have flooded back for me.

I hope they name the team the Jets.

Ontario Jets
2018-19 Stanley Cup champs
Parade route: up King St from the 401 through Kitchener, through Waterloo to a big bash at RIM.

Go Jimbo !

Old
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This I would agree with.

Part of the reason the offer is so large is because Balsille would have to endure a whole season in front of an empty arena and incur its losses.
Wouldn't that be a reason for the offer to be smaller than expected, not larger?

Old
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
according to what was said awhile ago in another thread, it takes only one vote to stop the team from moving and that is the thing.

There are a few teams(wont name them to enflame fans of those teams) who are reportedly in trouble and looking to move. Some teams, with the same owners may want to move and couild block any move the dogs do.

classic catch 22
if it's not the market those teams are looking at, why would they care? In one of the cases you're mentioning (maybe the only), but won't mention, it seems like they're flirting with KC. not Ontario.

and even that is shady, it seems more of a pressure tatic to get their pet project built.

I think the only way you get a down vote is if teams don't want to realign. and that's definately a problem here... you either have some slapdash realignment (VAN - Pacific, ONT - Central, CHI - NW (and there's a potential problem)... or they're going to need some kind of grand realignment (and maybe an elimination of conferences) to solve the problem.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
BigMac1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Just like the NFL moving from Los Angeles, a much larger city with a huge TV market? For better or worse, no one besides the fans losing their team really care in the long run.
The NHL SHOULD CARE, lest they become a niche league and no longer one of the top 4 leagues.

You can't stay in the cold forever. The NHL needs sucess in the Sunbelt or they will be regulated to a niche leage forever.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Egil

Quote:
You think the Canadian government will handle a $500 million expense (the team & new arena) at this time?
Balsille is a private citizen, not the government. The Government will bear no cost for his purchase of the team.

As for a more long term Arena, that is unkown at this point. However, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver were all able to construct an arena privately. Claiming the government will need to spend $500 mil is an insane comment.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:58 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'll never tire of Lord Jim and his disciples wallowing in disappointment, nor will I bore of the humor that comes with those that try to defend his tactics.

I don't begrudge his goal of another team in Ontario. I don't agree with his idea that it should come via relocation rather than expansion, but I respect his opinion. However, the means that he goes about things...make him a clown.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
Black eye with who? Is the NFL not being in LA a "black eye" for the league? It isn't like the local population is going to rebel, and it won't look anywhere near as bad as the Seatle move in the NBA.

As for hockey in Arizona, so be it. Hockey is an expensive sport, and it is made even moreso when you are trying to make ice in temperatures over 30C.
All you need is the building.

They have a national team in Mexico, they have to skate somewhere.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:01 PM
BigMac1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'll never tire of Lord Jim and his disciples wallowing in disappointment, nor will I bore of the humor that comes with those that try to defend his tactics.

I don't begrudge his goal of another team in Ontario. I don't agree with his idea that it should come via relocation rather than expansion, but I respect his opinion. However, the means that he goes about things...make him a clown.
Yeah, and in the economy both US & Canada is in, Balsile is pretty foolish.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
The NHL SHOULD CARE, lest they become a niche league and no longer one of the top 4 leagues.

You can't stay in the cold forever. The NHL needs sucess in the Sunbelt or they will be regulated to a niche leage forever.
if you can't find a buyer, you can't find a buyer. I'd say the chance of the team being in Phoenix, after next season, no matter what happens here, is next to nil.

why's that? because there's no buyer that will come forward to keep the team there. especially compared to what offers the relocation people will come up with. if there is a second big offer, or a third, do you think any of them will be local?

Old
05-05-2009, 09:03 PM
BigMac1212

Quote:
if you can't find a buyer, you can't find a buyer. I'd say the chance of the team being in Phoenix, after next season, no matter what happens here, is next to nil.

why's that? because there's no buyer that will come forward to keep the team there. especially compared to what offers the relocation people will come up with. if there is a second big offer, or a third, do you think any of them will be local?
They still have to deal with Glendale, and I know they don't want a state-of-the-art arena to be vacant.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah, and in the economy both US & Canada is in, Balsile is pretty foolish.
He would be buying in a struggling economy, and look like a genius when the economy surges again.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

SO we should move Carolina back to Hartford, Phoenix to Winnipeg and Colorado to Quebec City. All three have "clowns" running the show (and 2 of those teams have the same owner that moved them). This sort of argument is NON-SENSE and solely emotional (which is fine, but ****ing irrelevant).

Old
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...rycoyotes.html

Updated AP story
Quote:
“Extensive efforts have been undertaken to sell the team, or attract additional investors, who would keep the team in Glendale,” Jerry Moyes, the Coyotes chief executive officer, said in a statement announcing the Chapter 11 filing. “Creating a process under the supervision of a judge assures that anyone wishing to purchase the team will have the opportunity to bid.

“Likewise, the City of Glendale, which has been very cooperative with efforts to keep the team in Glendale, will be able to provide potential buyers assurances of the city's willingness to offer incentives to keep the team as a tenant in the Jobing.com Arena, the lease for which is subject to rejection in bankruptcy. The process assures that the identities of the new owner and the team's location will be known by June 30, 2009, thus enabling the NHL to include the team in its 2009-10 schedule.”

Old
05-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Egil

Quote:

And what is going to supplant it? Arena Football? The ratings from places like Phoenix are tiny, the real ratings come from the North (Canada and the Northern US). It is far more important for the NHL to get places like Boston and Chicago humming again than having a low-revenue money losing franchise in Phoenix.

Closed Thread