HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

head coach and language

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2009, 06:46 PM
  #1
missthenet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
head coach and language

In all the years that Montreal had a Major league baseball team and also a CFL football team has there ever been a head coach that was bilingual, just curious if not did they communicate only in English with the reporters?

missthenet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
  #2
Magic33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
The reporters can certainly communicate in english. How do they speak to alex kovalev or mike komisarek. They just want a french coach, for principle.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
  #3
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups
 
Metropolitsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
In all the years that Montreal had a Major league baseball team and also a CFL football team has there ever been a head coach that was bilingual, just curious if not did they communicate only in English with the reporters?
Felipe Alou was awesome but never said a word in french

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
  #4
Sumhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
The Expos and the Alouettes are not les Canadiens de Montréal.

Its really not the same thing.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:03 PM
  #5
Mr Scarface*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
Jacques Lemaire would be great for y'all.

Him and Claude back... together again. Just wow.

This would be exactly the move Canadiens NEED to do. Winning, these guys are the Realest winners, ever. They Real.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:13 PM
  #6
maci4life
Registered User
 
maci4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Macedonia
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Jacques Lemaire would be great for y'all.

Him and Claude back... together again. Just wow.

This would be exactly the move Canadiens NEED to do. Winning, these guys are the Realest winners, ever. They Real.
YEAH MANNNNEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
  #7
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumhabs View Post
The Expos and the Alouettes are not les Canadiens de Montréal.

Its really not the same thing.
Why is it different?

And while you are explaining that, also explain the success of Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
  #8
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Why is it different?

And while you are explaining that, also explain the success of Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman.
Because both were bilingual?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
  #9
12jf54
Registered User
 
12jf54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
We've been over this enough times already. Let's move on...

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
  #10
Sumhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Why is it different?

And while you are explaining that, also explain the success of Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman.

The expos and the Alouettes are not even close to what, cultural speaking, les Canadiens de Montreal represents aux Quebecois.

blake and bowman were bilingual

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
  #11
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Why is it different?

And while you are explaining that, also explain the success of Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman.
Scotty is born in Montreal and speaks French better than Gainey.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
  #12
GoMarkov79
Registered User
 
GoMarkov79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Anyone can learn french, even Koivu can speak french if he has to. Can we just concentrate on hiring the best coach available?

GoMarkov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
  #13
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
best coach possible please. translators are a dime a dozen these days.

I'd rather hear a coach talk in English about why we won, then a coach talk in French about why we lost.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
  #14
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
I'd rather hear a coach talk in English about why we won, then a coach talk in French about why we lost.
I haven't seen the situation summed up better than this.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
  #15
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Always thought it would have been cool if the French TV baseball guys would do their interviews with the Latin guys in Spanish and then translate them into French. Or if the TV hockey guys would learn some Russian and then do Russian to French rather than Russian to English to French.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
  #16
KovalevDeke
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Jacques Lemaire would be great for y'all.

Him and Claude back... together again. Just wow.

This would be exactly the move Canadiens NEED to do. Winning, these guys are the Realest winners, ever. They Real.
MANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KovalevDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:46 PM
  #17
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
The reporters only want a French coach because they are a bunch of ego driven scavengers. If the coach speaks French, it means they'll have more content, while an English coach will deflect more, will use clichés because he won't find the words he wants to use in French.

The ONLY true reason most reporters want more French players and coaches, is ONLY for their OWN sake. They don't care about nationality and French pride. What they want IS MORE CONTENT, more ratings.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 06:50 PM
  #18
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
best coach possible please. translators are a dime a dozen these days.

I'd rather hear a coach talk in English about why we won, then a coach talk in French about why we lost.
Anyone can easily reply:

I'd rather hear a coach talk in French about why we won, then a coach talk in English about why we lost.

This discussion would be more interesting with the name of some candidates. I think we were at:

Laviolette
Hartley
Crawford

André or Denis Savard

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
  #19
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
best coach possible please. translators are a dime a dozen these days.

I'd rather hear a coach talk in English about why we won, then a coach talk in French about why we lost.
Because English coach= Winner and French (bilingual) coach= Looser.

Obviously. After all, if it works for the Leafs...

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
  #20
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The reporters only want a French coach because they are a bunch of ego driven scavengers. If the coach speaks French, it means they'll have more content, while an English coach will deflect more, will use clichés because he won't find the words he wants to use in French.

The ONLY true reason most reporters want more French players and coaches, is ONLY for their OWN sake. They don't care about nationality and French pride. What they want IS MORE CONTENT, more ratings.
Do you get off writing that drivel? I am just amazed at your thorough and detailed psychological analysis.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
  #21
Caseofcups*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMarkov79 View Post
Anyone can learn french, even Koivu can speak french if he has to. Can we just concentrate on hiring the best coach available?
AMEN

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:00 PM
  #22
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Anyone can easily reply:

I'd rather hear a coach talk in French about why we won, then a coach talk in English about why we lost.

This discussion would be more interesting with the name of some candidates. I think we were at:

Laviolette
Hartley
Crawford

André or Denis Savard
Obviously my point is made assuming that English coach is better than the French coach otherwise there is no debate, both sides would agree to go with the better coach.

The only reason this is being debated is because some people want a french coach no matter if there is a better English coach or not.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
  #23
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Because English coach= Winner and French (bilingual) coach= Looser.

Obviously. After all, if it works for the Leafs...
Again see me point above. If the French coach is the best one available then there is NO debate. Both sides agree.

There is only a debate bc some ppl want French coach over a better English coach should the situation arise.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
  #24
HABsurde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Again see me point above. If the French coach is the best one available then there is NO debate. Both sides agree.

There is only a debate bc some ppl want French coach over a better English coach should the situation arise.
Yeah but what the Habs organisation wants is the best coach available that can speak french, so you all better get use to it, it's not just a media thing it's what the organisation wants...

I'd be truly surprise if they would go with an only english speaking coach because they are afraid of the public reactions. If i were Bob and that maybe new ownership would give me the boot, i would sign as soon as possible the best english speaking coach available and let the team handle the situation after the sale. New ownership would have the liberty to wait and see what that coach brings. If reactions from fan and media is very bad, they could always fire the guy and blame Bob, if the situation goes well, then a taboo (habs needing to hire bilingual coach) becomes irrelevant and we can move on....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
  #25
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Obviously my point is made assuming that English coach is better than the French coach otherwise there is no debate, both sides would agree to go with the better coach.

The only reason this is being debated is because some people want a french coach no matter if there is a better English coach or not.
I can understand your point, but to avoid the pro-anglo vs the pro-franco never-ending debate, the only productive debate should be who is available and why should we choose one over the other, not the language thing. There is nothing to debate as long as Boivin made his decision and we are only fans on a board. The choice is probably among those 5 names except if someone is bringing a new name, but the list is not too impressive.

For the record: I went through the anglo Bob Berry' s era without any pain, but Lever is a guess like Claude Julien was a couple of years ago.

So, to be constructive:

1) do you expect the new coach to have NHL experience as a head coach?
2) do you expect the new coach to be someone who won the cup?

That should give us a shorter list.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.