HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Coyotes move, do we move to the Western Conference?

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2009, 04:47 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker1 View Post
Come on, we live in a state with an Atlantic Ocean beach! WE should not be in the Western Conference. Really dumb idea...not that that would stop the ollder clubs from demanding it.

If that happens, I'll be seeing a lot less live Thrashers games, for sure.
The Braves were in the National League West until 1993, so its not an unheard of concept..

Old
05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37 View Post
The Braves were in the National League West until 1993, so its not an unheard of concept..
So were the Falcons in the NFC West but those mistakes were eventually corrected.

Old
05-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
Yep, I think you're right. I mocked it up on a map in Photoshop:

Makes more sense geographically than any other scheme I've ever heard of. But the whole five division/no conference thing works against it.

What if each division had two rival divisions that would be sort of a pseudo-conference for scheduling, but they would rotate, like so:

Southeast: Atlantic and Central
Atlantic: Southeast and North
North: Atlantic and Pacific (b/c of Canadian matchups)
Central: Southeast and Pacific
Pacific: North and Central

Then playoffs, you do the two per division plus six wildcard, or five division champs plus ten wildcards. Reseed every round. No conferences.

Yeah, way too much time on my hands. Work sucked today. This was more fun.

Lightning fan here

And I really really can dig that southeast division. i always thought Dallas should be in the East.

Old
05-09-2009, 08:24 AM
TheHMan

Just a heads up, but apparently there's some rumblings about a Vancouver group that wants to move the Thrashers to Hamilton as well. There will likely be more on this story when the Hamilton city gives more details on those discussions.

Old
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/631715

Old
05-09-2009, 10:17 AM
The Sneak

meh. I'd think Florida would go prior to the Thrashers if they were allowed to move. Besides, Bettman is adamantly against relocation.

Old
05-09-2009, 10:24 AM
The Sneak

I can't believe they'd print that article. Nothing but conjecture and wishes on behalf of an interested group. No wonder Canadian fans are so delusional. They print message board type articles in their mainstream press.

Old
05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
I can't believe they'd print that article. Nothing but conjecture and wishes on behalf of an interested group. No wonder Canadian fans are so delusional. They print message board type articles in their mainstream press.
From a post on the team board: "...taking Canadian news papers seriously about relocating southern teams, is like taking the Enquirer seriously when they talk about alien sightings."

Old
05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
AUC2MIC

Yea, there's been alot of talk about relocating the Trashers to Hamilton lately

Old
05-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Leafs Tank Nation

Anyone here think Bettman is behind the group regarding the rumours that Atlanta may relocate to Hamilton.
Is it just a coincidence that this comes out as the Phoenix situation is getting messy? Would you put it past Bettman to hang Atlanta out to dry just to keep Balsillie out of the old boys club?

Old
05-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Leafs Tank Nation

Quote:
From a post on the team board: "...taking Canadian news papers seriously about relocating southern teams, is like taking the Enquirer seriously when they talk about alien sightings."

Big leap there and to even put the Toronto Star on the same level as the American Enquirer is beyond words.

Old
05-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Joe Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
In regards to revenue from Canada....considering that we just lost a season to a lockout...because several Canadian hockey teams were concerned with being able to stay afloat. I openly question how much stronger the Canadian market is for hockey with the lone exception of a 2nd team in Toronto.
The lockout was just as much about saving small market teams in the Unites States as it was about saving teams in Canada. The issues in Canada are more to do with the dollar, not with the market for the team... as is the case with teams in Atlanta, Phoenix, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Why can you not believe that a news organization would print news? Despite your personal feelings on teams relocating, that report is still news. Right now there's a possibility that the Phoenix Coyotes could move to Hamilton. The prospective buyer of the Coyotes is right now trying to negotiate a lease for the local arena. Now reports are showing that the city is set to meet with another group, and as many as five other groups have also expressed interest.

That's news. It's far from a sure thing that Atlanta is going anywhere at this point... but it's still news.

Quote:

Do you have any evidence that anything in that article is false?

Old
05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
AZCOYOT

As much as i'd love to see Ball-Silly fail at stealing the Yotes and to see his dreams get crushed by another group.

I hope nothing materializes out of this

Old
05-09-2009, 04:28 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox X Mulder View Post
Big leap there and to even put the Toronto Star on the same level as the American Enquirer is beyond words.
No. It's putting the Hamilton Spectator on the same level as the National Enquirer. Read the first line of the story again. The article was actually cross-posted from the Hamilton Spectator.

And, honestly, there's no place for speculative journalism in any medium.

I've emailed the Thrashers' beat writer in the hopes he can get comments from members of the octo-cluster ownership regarding this rumour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
Do you have any evidence that anything in that article is false?
Are the Thrashers officially for sale? Did this Vancouver group buy the Thrashers secretly, illegally bypassing the current court battle?

From what I understand, the news is supposed to report facts, not conjecture or hopes or intentions. This Vancouver group does not own the Thrashers, therefore there cannot be an attempt to move them.

I'm real happy you "believe" this story, but I doubt it's true.

Last edited by dj4aces: 05-09-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old
05-09-2009, 05:03 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Considering the ownership of the Thrashers is currently in court over who owns the team, the idea that you can even purchase the Thrashers right now is absurd.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
From what I understand, the news is supposed to report facts, not conjecture or hopes or intentions.
I'm sorry, I thought the news was all about selling advertising. This certainly helps them accomplish that.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:31 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox X Mulder View Post
Anyone here think Bettman is behind the group regarding the rumours that Atlanta may relocate to Hamilton.
Is it just a coincidence that this comes out as the Phoenix situation is getting messy? Would you put it past Bettman to hang Atlanta out to dry just to keep Balsillie out of the old boys club?
With a post like that, you're living up to your name.

Answers:
No.
Yes.
No. (Tho I'm sure Bettman dislikes Balsillie.)

Y'all have to understand that there is an ongoing lawsuit involving the the Hawks, the Thrashers and Philips Arena. The lawsuit likely won't conclude for another couple of years.

The other thing is that the Hawks, the Thrashers and Philips Arena are contractually tied together. Both teams have to play concurrently in the arena or significant revenue is lost from the Philips Corporation tied to the arena naming rights. Both teams pay to play in the arena, they all pay a lot of money to each each other, they get tax write offs from payments one entity makes to another. It's a sweet deal for everybody.

So a lot of these "losses" they show on paper are in part for tax purposes. Also, some of the Thrashers losses are real but some of the "lost" money is paid to another part of the group of companies. It just moves from one pocket to another.

EDIT: There are heavy corporarte contracts that are dependent on both teams playing in Philips. I repeat, It's a sweet deal for everybody.

Trust me, the Thrashers are going nowhere.

Last edited by kracker1: 05-09-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old
05-09-2009, 05:33 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Just a heads up, but apparently there's some rumblings about a Vancouver group that wants to move the Thrashers to Hamilton as well. There will likely be more on this story when the Hamilton city gives more details on those discussions.
Interesting how Hamilton is apparently a cooler City than I ever thought, being as two teams (my Coyotes, now ATL) are moving their. I visited their once as a kid and I'm sorry to say what an industrial wasteland of a City.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:33 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Response from the beat writer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vivlamore
Thanks for the e-mail.

I am in fact working on that now. I'm at the Hawks game and will track down one of the owners and get them to comment.

Thanks for reading and don't hesitate to pass on suggestions or ideas.
Sounds like we should be hearing something soon.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:37 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:

Sounds like we should be hearing something soon.
What makes you think one of the Atlanta Spirit owners is going to say anything.

He should cut out the middle man and just asked Ted Turner, he should know what his son and son-in-law are up to.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Joe Canadian

Quote:
Are the Thrashers officially for sale? Did this Vancouver group buy the Thrashers secretly, illegally bypassing the current court battle?

From what I understand, the news is supposed to report facts, not conjecture or hopes or intentions. This Vancouver group does not own the Thrashers, therefore there cannot be an attempt to move them.

I'm real happy you "believe" this story, but I doubt it's true.
Perhaps you should read the article. Nowhere does it say that the group owns or is about to purchase the team, nor does it say that the team is for sale.

All the article says is that a group from Vancouver is meeting with the city of Hamilton to discuss a possible lease agreement, because they have intentions of buying the team. The article doesn't discus the likelihood of the group actually buying the team. Right now, there is a situation going on with the Coyotes and discussions are being had over a lease agreement in Hamilton. If other groups seeking to buy NHL teams are approaching the same city, over the same arena, that's news. Those are the facts of the situation, and that's what this news organization is reporting.

Personally I have no idea what the ownership situation is with the Thrashers, and an initial report of an interested buyer is not enough for me to "believe" that a sale is imminent. But it is interesting to know that there are a number of groups looking at Hamilton as a prospective home for a relocated NHL franchise.

It would seem reasonable for a prospective owner to look into an arena deal before moving on to the next step.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:49 PM
The Sneak

When the article ends:

A well-placed source in the business community, speaking on condition he not be named, said the frenzied climate around NHL hockey, Hamilton, Toronto and Vaughan has made it impossible to separate legitimate bids from possibilities and mere rumours.

He described five different scenarios that continue to crop up in conversations, though he emphasized there is no way to know how solid some of them are.

"I don't know what's real and not real," the source said.

I don't put much credence into it. Yeah, this may not even be real but hey, we're talking hockey because the Ontario teams didn't make the playoffs and we need to distract the populace from another failed season.

Old
05-09-2009, 05:58 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
All the article says is that a group from Vancouver is meeting with the city of Hamilton to discuss a possible lease agreement, because they have intentions of buying the team.
Let me make this real easy for you, since reading comprehension seems to evade your understanding:

You cannot move something you do not own.

It's that simple.

This is nothing more than speculative journalism from the Toronto Sports Network. Friends of mine in Winnipeg, as bitter as they are about the Jets moving, feel this story is a lot of conjecture and no real fact. Yeah, sure, some guys in Vancouver are talking to the Hamilton mayor. Big deal. Until they buy something, this is just bunk.

Old
05-09-2009, 06:15 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Fans of other teams shouldn't be against this. If it happens, it means more revenue for the league, meaning more revenue for struggling teams like Atlanta to share.

Old
05-09-2009, 06:32 PM
dj4aces

Edit: Removed by request.

Last edited by dj4aces: 05-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Closed Thread