HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3. Washington Capitals @ Pittsburgh Penguins. 5/6/2009. Mellon Arena. 7 PM.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Foy

vCash: 500
I don't like all the gloating going on. We haven't won squat yet.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:39 AM
capsfn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
A gift for Sid:

if it gets to game 5 we should throw hats after every goal, just like the Florida Panthers and the rats

capsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 5585
F work. who wants to argue random thoughts from the last game.

i wonder if any beerlogged hats were tossed in his direction.

I think we saw in game 2 a reduction in the step ups that made our d look pourous in game 1. I do remember one instance from game 2 and Ovi flew back hard and took out a guy crashing the net but otherwise a reduction in SUs. Whenever we step up, it has to be with force. You cant wussy foot and play zone there, you need to see the backchecker in good shape and then play the body hard and make contact.

I think Green did ok last game. And he popped Kunitz. He just needs to play even and rack up points on the PP. The most offensive dman in the league battling Sid, well remember that is not going to be easy for any dman in the entire league.

Stop with the wide hat shot, reduce it, or delete from replies. Thanks.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfn95 View Post
if it gets to game 5 we should throw hats after every goal, just like the Florida Panthers and the rats
The Caps would get a penalty though (although we might get a warning first).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Kegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Agreed. Caps need to win game 3...more than ever. Can't allow for any momentum.

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Eh, I'm not sure I've seen more than 1 post which could be construed as gloating.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
DefenseDotCom

LBS - Lunch Bucket Set (Vogel's moniker) - Laich-Brad-Steck

10-39-21 -- getting it done:

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/se...beSportsHockey

The defining moment for the pair came at 12:53 of the third period on Monday night when Malkin showed his frustration by slew-footing Steckel with Caps and Penguins tied at 2-2. It was a monumentally stupid and lazy penalty, which led to Ovechkin scoring the go-ahead goal four seconds later on the power play.

"We're just three two-way players," Laich said when he was asked the key to neutralizing Malkin and Crosby.
Spot on. Lloyd loves you. Me too.

Last edited by DefenseDotCom: 05-06-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: format chaos continues-help, help
DefenseDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 09:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
I agree. Beat them 4 times then dance on them. The only gloat I've got going on is with those that thought the Pens would win this in a walk. They are already having to run.

I say win tonight and turn the heat up on them.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Kegger

Wonder if Dr. Bummer, will be in attendance at the Mellon Arena.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,161420

Old
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
bgroban

If Fehr can't go tonight, who's taking his spot?

Not Nyls, right? /gulp

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:19 AM
bgroban

Interesting factoid:

Colin Cambell was twice a Pittsburgh Penguin ('74-'76 + '77-'79).

Just sayin'.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
FeedDaPuck

Rumor has it...Fagguins fans have been calling the rooms of Caps players all last night. Rumor has it that the guys in Red ripped the phones out of the wall at the hotel. My question is to Coach B - Why not register the guys under assumed names to avoid that type of crap????

Also, any Caps fan attending the game in Pitts - please toss a hat out on the ice before the game, just so Crysby is not whining.

Other news - Wallramov is a little under the weather... (Should not affect his game though)

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Oh no! Can't wait to read from more pens fans about how 'classless' someone else is.

Or not.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
Rumor has it...Fagguins fans have been calling the rooms of Caps players all last night. Rumor has it that the guys in Red ripped the phones out of the wall at the hotel. My question is to Coach B - Why not register the guys under assumed names to avoid that type of crap????

Also, any Caps fan attending the game in Pitts - please toss a hat out on the ice before the game, just so Crysby is not whining.

Other news - Wallramov is a little under the weather... (Should not affect his game though)
Not sure I'm buying the phone pranks thing. First off, it's extremely easy to ask the front desk not to forward calls to the room. Even if they didn't do that, or the front desk didn't comply, how many calls does it take before you just unplug the phone? Two, tops? People have cell phones these days if family or coaches need to get in touch. There's just no reason to have a room phone anymore.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Its kind of funny that everyone is afraid of Nylander getting 12 minutes. Feds circles back, Kozlov, Semin; he is not alone.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
No kidding. I feel like the only guy that is still worried about the Pens storming back...until Washington beats them at home they haven't accomplished squat.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:05 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its kind of funny that everyone is afraid of Nylander getting 12 minutes. Feds circles back, Kozlov, Semin; he is not alone.
But when Feds and Kozlov circle back, they try to make things happen. Feds makes passes out top, and Kozlov runs a puck possession clinic. Nylander just skates around until someone makes him lose it.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

+1, I mean, it is great to be up in the series, but we have seen this too many times, to not be fearful of sealing the deal. Personally, until the series is over, it isn't over, and any overconfidence needs to be kept in check, particularly given the level of play thus far.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Kegger

Personally Im glad at the prospect of Erskine coming back to clear out Crosby and whoever else. Even if he cant skate, just sit next to Varly the whole game.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:21 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntsghost View Post
But when Feds and Kozlov circle back, they try to make things happen. Feds makes passes out top, and Kozlov runs a puck possession clinic. Nylander just skates around until someone makes him lose it.
Why did GMGM bring him in, how did he get such a huge contract? How could he stay in the NHL so long?

Sloan vs Crosby, Flash vs Malkin, Kunitz cross checking our goalie in the head without repercussions, concerns me much more the Nylander rotating around in circles. Ovi and Semin bring our attack, everyone else, just be even. And he has been this year so far.

Old
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
F work. who wants to argue random thoughts from the last game.

i wonder if any beerlogged hats were tossed in his direction.

I think we saw in game 2 a reduction in the step ups that made our d look pourous in game 1. I do remember one instance from game 2 and Ovi flew back hard and took out a guy crashing the net but otherwise a reduction in SUs. Whenever we step up, it has to be with force. You cant wussy foot and play zone there, you need to see the backchecker in good shape and then play the body hard and make contact.

I think Green did ok last game. And he popped Kunitz. He just needs to play even and rack up points on the PP. The most offensive dman in the league battling Sid, well remember that is not going to be easy for any dman in the entire league.

Stop with the wide hat shot, reduce it, or delete from replies. Thanks.
Reduction in step ups was good, glad to see Caps adjusting. Now the biggest problem for us is getting hemmed in our zone, IMO. We don't have the speed throughout the lineup to put a lot of pressure on forwards circling pucks, and some of our stars don't work very hard at it: Ovechkin, Semin, Green, etc.

I don't think that's something that can be changed now, though. Need to forecheck hard and try to prevent Pens from gaining the zone, and once there, try to at least... um... keep the crease clean so that Varly can see the shots and gobble up rebounds. Too much to ask, right? Probably..

I still think Green was pretty bad. He was too noticeable on the Crosby goals, and let's face it, he has looked pretty passive. TSN actually showed a closeup of Caps' bench immediately after one of Crosby's goals, and you could clearly see Laich exclaiming "C'mon, Mike!" with a sort of mildly disappointed/disgusted expression.

Overall, almost every Cap can play better.. and the same can be said about the Pens. So we're almost at the same point of not knowing what's going to happen, aside from Ovechkin, Crosby and Varlamov kicking ass.

I have a feeling that today's game will depend on whichever of Backstrom-Semin/Malkin will step up. Not terribly original, but there it is. Unless of course the Caps start chasing Kunitz, which I hope they do.. .. ..n't.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

thanks for some sharing thoughts art

Getting hemmed in our zone. It hasnt concerned me so much but I see it too. Some credit has to go to their offense. As much as we'd like it to be, our team is not ALL about hard work. Guys lolly gag around even our stars at times, we dont have above average team speed. So we just have to hunker down on D back to basics clear the crease safe breakouts until Ovi and Semin or Green on the PP can win the game for us.

I agree Green had his struggles cleaning house. Facing their stars for 27 minutes is not easy. But his game is about offense, and it starts on the PP. Yes we got some PP goals but its been completely hit or miss it seems. If our PP falters folks may say or think Green is struggling. There is some correlation but Mike Green needs to score goals on the PP to bring his best game. Anything less than that but still even, he played average. He doesnt seem to be moving around enough on the PP, I dunno. Maybe their PK deserves a shoutout.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-06-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 12:23 PM
LetsGoBears

Caps need to clench down on the throat some more before going after someone that hasn't done squat in the series so far. Let's also not forgot Pens some how feed off of watching their own getting destroyed in fights…?

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Good luck tonight. I sure hope you smash those penguins through the ice.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:40 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

One thing that I wish Bruce did more of, was matchup lines while at home. It starts with defensive assignments, get the LaBS line out against 87. Or sneak Gordon out there as he has been credited with slowing 87 before. 87 was killing us. I would have summoned Gordo IMO. Bruce just rolls his lines and makes them deal with it.

Now at home, the pens can. If I were them, I would try to exploit the perceived or real defensive weakness that I see on our second line. Bruce's lines have never been more static so it may happen. Put Malkin (weak in the dot) at LW instead of Kunitz with 87 and Bill Guerin and line them up against Flash Nick and Semin.