HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #11, Part 4

Old
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Wow, put Reg Fleming in the "what a jump" club, along with Weldy Young and Bun Cook.

He was cumulative pick #1114 in AAA10.

I don't know that I'd take him this high, but I do know that by the time he was finally selected in AAA10, I really wanted him. He was a MLD player taken in the 800s three drafts before that, I think.

Gotta love the F/D guys for spares. I try to get two of them on every team.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:22 PM
pitseleh

I think Trail's time is now up.

The Clippers select C Billy Reay.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 12:30 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Wow, put Reg Fleming in the "what a jump" club, along with Weldy Young and Bun Cook.

He was cumulative pick #1114 in AAA10.

I don't know that I'd take him this high, but I do know that by the time he was finally selected in AAA10, I really wanted him. He was a MLD player taken in the 800s three drafts before that, I think.

Gotta love the F/D guys for spares. I try to get two of them on every team.
We were talking about Flemming for our team in the last MLD, but went with a couple other players instead. I'm surprised he was picked in the ATD, but you have to love his toughness and his character for a depth role.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 01:02 PM
hfboardsuser

The Kimberley Dynamiters complete their defense corps with one of the best#6/7s a team could ask for:

D Don Awrey

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Jungosi

Send a message via ICQ to Jungosi
Wacken selects C Alexander Almetov

Jungosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:48 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Sorry guys no one to take a list last night. Trail completes our team by adding Claude Ruel as an assistant coach. He may have coached with Bowman instead of Irvin, but Ruel is a guy who knows how to be an assistant coach on a winner. Both Irvin and Bowman are coaches who expect a lot from their players and it's important to have the right guy there to create a proper dynamic with the players. Ruel is also a Stanley Cup winning head coach on top of winning a ton of them as an assistant coach or member of upper management. Also known for being very good with his blue line.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
seventieslord

If this looks familiar, it's because I have posted it in three threads: The Draft thread, the Chat Room, and the Draft Review.

I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone that there will be a Minor League Draft shortly after the conclusion of this one, probably even while the finals or semis are going on.

The MLD is a wonderful idea that adds some more variety to the "same old" ATD experience. It is run exactly like the ATD except players selected in the ATD are not eligible. It is a lot "looser", with six hour time limits the whole way, and double picks after halfway through the draft so that it goes quickly with less "dead time".

I guarantee that in your MLD research you will make some "discoveries" and begin to wonder why certain players don't get selected in the main draft. (this is what it's all about!) In the ATD you tend to hear the same things about the same players, but in the MLD it feels all new, and such a wide variety of players can and do get selected.

VI and myself, are hardcore MLD GMs. We were delighted to get 12 teams together for the last one, and then 9 more for a subsequent AAA draft (the MLD of the MLD) - I speak for all of us when I say that I learned an awful lot this last time. Not only about my own players but about many of the players selected by other teams. Our hope is to see the MLD approach 30 teams this time. If the same 12 come back, only 6 more new ATD GMs join, and two co-GMs break off to make two new teams (I'm looking at my co-GM too when I say this) then we'd have 20 right there. In 50% of cases, the AAA players were as good as many MLD players and to see them all selected in one larger MLD would make for a much more diverse and interesting draft.

Just ask Hedberg, ES, and chaosrevolver, who stuck with us to the bitter end - the AA draft.

Rookie GMs - this is a great opportunity to do more research, learn what to look for in players for different roles, and to have some playoff debates. I'll also be calling on a few HOH section regulars who have expressed an interest in the draft before.

It's not signup time, but it will be in about a month. This is just a pre-invitation to plant the seed. We want to see every one of you in the MLD.

Old
05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Sorry for the delay guys. Anyway, Boston selects yet another member of the Islanders dynasty in D Dave Langevin.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:10 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Colorado skipped

654 - spitfire11 - Detroit Red Wings - ON THE CLOCK

655 - VanIslander & Hockey Outsider - Thunder Bay Twins
656 - Mr. Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters
657 - Nalyd Psycho - Minnesota Fighting Saints
658 - AlanHoff & Evil Sather - Dauphin Kings
659 - EagleBelfour - Detroit Falcons
660 - Mr. Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Spitfire11

Well it was a coin toss between 2 goalies from the same era for my backup, and the job goes to 4-time Cup winner from the Ottawa Silver Seven, G Percy LeSueur

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

The Twins select coach Billy Reay. He led the leafs and Blackhawks to nearly 600 NHL wins and three trips to the Stanley Cup Finals as a popular player's coach.

(this is the first time Reay the player was drafted before Reay the coach)

Old
05-12-2009, 05:24 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

The Avs draft Wilf Paiement

Old
05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

656 - Mr. Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters - ON THE CLOCK

657 - Nalyd Psycho - Minnesota Fighting Saints
658 - AlanHoff & Evil Sather - Dauphin Kings
659 - EagleBelfour - Detroit Falcons
660 - Mr. Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters
661 - nik jr. - lada togliatti
662 - ToskaLOL - Glace Bay Miners
663 - GodBlessCanada & raleh - New Westminster Bruins
664 - Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
665 - EagleBelfour - Detroit Falcons
666 - Reds4Life- Trinec Steelers
667 - Kyle McMahon - Hampton Roads Admirals
668 - Evil Speaker & Sturminator - Boston Bruins
669 - Wisent - Anyang Halla
670 - EagleBelfour - Detroit Falcons
671 - pitseleh - Nanaimo Clippers
672 - CanadiensFan - Montreal Canadiens
END OF DRAFT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
05-12-2009, 05:56 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Well it was a coin toss between 2 goalies from the same era for my backup, and the job goes to 4-time Cup winner from the Ottawa Silver Seven, G Percy LeSueur
Good pick, but Percy is a two-time cup winner.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...8&postcount=34

Also, his cup wins were not with the actual Silver Seven, it was after the days of Pulford, McGee, Smith, etc.

Old
05-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Good pick, but Percy is a two-time cup winner.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...8&postcount=34

Also, his cup wins were not with the actual Silver Seven, it was after the days of Pulford, McGee, Smith, etc.
Hmm, he's listed in the NHL Official Guide and Record book as winning the Cup with the Silver Seven (with McGee, Pulford and co.) in 1905-1906 and then with the Ottawa Senators in 1908-09, 1909-10, and 1910-11. My knowledge of that era is mediocre at best, so you're probably right he won only twice, but could you please explain. Were two of those wins 'Cup defenses'?

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
in a move that should surprise no-one, the kenora thistles are pleased to finalize their roster by selecting their assistant coach...

john muckler (assistant coach)

If you promise he'll wear one of his sweaters each night behind the bench I'll give you an extra point in my rankings.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Hmm, he's listed in the NHL Official Guide and Record book as winning the Cup with the Silver Seven (with McGee, Pulford and co.) in 1905-1906 and then with the Ottawa Senators in 1908-09, 1909-10, and 1910-11. My knowledge of that era is mediocre at best, so you're probably right he won only twice, but could you please explain. Were two of those wins 'Cup defenses'?

I see that now, too. My precious Official Guide and Record Book, the bible of my teenage years, is wrong.

- In 1906, Lesueur played three playoff games. The first two were losses against the Silver Seven while a member of Smiths Falls. The last one was the second of a two-game, total goals series against the Wanderers. Lesueur and the Silver Seven won this famous game 9-3 but they lost the series 12-10. LeSueur was definitely not a cup champ in 1906. he played for Ottawa that season, but only when they lost it in their 3rd, not when they won/defended it.

- In 1910, Lesueur won four games with Ottawa (no longer the Silver Seven by now) - all challenge matches, two from Galt and two from Edmonton. The Galt games were before the NHA regular season had even started and the Edmonton games were shortly after it did. Ottawa did not win the regular season (9-3); the Wanderers (11-1) did, so they took control of the cup in March and defended it against Berlin, new OPHL champs. I remember in my old Lesueur bio I said that it was a silly system but if you stop and think, it's no different from what we have now. You win the top league, you take the cup, you don't have to win it from the current champ. (Galt, incidentally, finished last overall in the weaker OPHL, they earned their challenge by winning that league in 1909. Considering how poor they were by 1910, it was a rather weak cup defense for Ottawa).

I guess technically, by my standards where sometimes there are two winners in one year (1896, 1899, 1902, 1903, 1906, 1907, 1910) instead of just the one who wins last, Leseuer is a three-time champ. I'd be inclined to count 1910. I didn't have that standard 18 months ago in MLD9. But that seems to be the most common. I know when they say Jack Marshall was a 6-time champ, they count one partial year. Russell Bowie is another example, one-time cup winner but lost it the same year.

For anyone wondering, here is why there are two winners in those years:

1896: Winnipeg challenged, and beat, the existing champs, the Victorias in February. In December (yes, December of 1896, a month that would today be part of 96/97) the Victorias won it back from Winnipeg.

1899: Victoria, existing champions, defended the cup against Winnipeg in a two-game series in February. In March, the cup passed to the Shamrocks as they were the champions of the CAHL, the Victorias' league. they played one game that season to defend it against Queens.

1902: Winnipeg, existing champions, defended the cup against a worthy Toronto adversary in january. In March, they lost a grueling three-game series to the Little Men Of Iron, featuring Jack Marshall.

1903: Existing champions Montreal won a grueling four-game series, 2-1-1 against the Winnipeg challengers. Ottawa and Victorias played a two-game playoff for the CAHL championship (they finished 1-2, Montreal was 3rd). Ottawa won, then defended the cup in a two-game series against the Phillips-less Thistles.

1907: The Wanderers defended their cup against New Glasgow in December. Kenora took over the cup when they beat the Wanderers in January. In mid-March, Kenora beat Brandon for the championship of their Manitoba league, otherwise Brandon would have taken over the cup. Kenora then lost the two-game series against Wanderers. By the standards established in the past years, Wanderers would have gone down in history as December champs for the 06/07 season whether they took the cup back in March or not, and the fact that they did, is probably the only reason they are not recognized as such, because then they'd be cup champions twice in one year!

In summary, here are the reasons why there are multiple winners in 7 early seasons:

successful defense, lost to next challenger: 1902, 1906

successful challenge, another successful challenge: 1896, 1907

new regular season champ takes over without having to beat the champ: 1899, 1903, 1910.

Old
05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
EagleBelfour

Missing picks

625 - Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
650 - ChampagneWishes - Killarney Country Bear Jamboree

Last edited by EagleBelfour: 05-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.
EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:00 PM
hfboardsuser

One of my favorite players ever, and a man whose brilliance on the ice easily translated as a tactician behind the bench:

Coach Frank Boucher

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:57 PM
EagleBelfour

I will need to send a list, anyone who has finish drafting want to take it?

Old
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

The KCBJ select Johnny "Black Cat" Gagnon.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 11:14 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Missing picks

625 - Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
650 - ChampagneWishes - Killarney Country Bear Jamboree
Also 608 for Leaf Lander.

Currently 654 picks have been made on 657 turns.

I can take your list.

Old
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Also 608 for Leaf Lander.

Currently 654 picks have been made on 657 turns.

I can take your list.
70's got it. Anyone else? Those last 2 rounds have run way too long for my liking, I don't want to hold up the draft.

Old
05-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Damn you CanadiensFan, every time I want to go completely off board, someone steals my thunder. I want to draft a coach never picked before, but, you do it before me. ARRRGH!!! But, I will stay the course.

The Minnesota Fighting Saints are pleased to finish their roster with The General of Ice Hockey, the man who developed the defensive systems needed to go toe to toe with Tarasov and win. (I can't find concrete evidence, but I have reason to believe the system created was the leftwing lock. But my inability to read Czech is a constant hindrance in the ATD.) The mastermind behind two of the greatest victories in Czechoslovakian hockey history at the '69 and '72 world championships. And them man who created the road map for all future success the Czechoslovakians had against the Soviets.

Jaroslav Pitner

05-13-2009, 06:11 AM
EagleBelfour

With our twenty-second selection, the 659th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit Falcons are proud to select defenseman Clarence Abel

Stanley Cup Champion (1928, 1934)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1931)
Olympics Silver Medal (1924)

- Taffy Abel was the first american born hockey player to earn a regular spot in the NHL
- Abel was the flag carrier for the USA in the 1924 olympics
- Charter member of the United States Hockey Hall of Fame (1973)
- In his 7 year NHL career, Abel was only twice in the Top-20 for penalty minutes (16th, 17th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
He was one of his era's biggest skaters, standing 6 feet 1 inch and weighing over 225 pounds. At a time when forward passing was not allowed in the offensive zone, he was a bruising defensive force to be reckoned with.

He played that role for only three seasons in the Big Apple, often teaming with another hockey giant, Ivan (Ching) Johnson, to make for a formidable combination. Together the defensive partners weighed in at over 428 pounds.

He became a fan favorite in Chicago and was a defensive stalwart for the Hawks for five seasons. In 1934 Abel helped the Hawks win their first Stanley Cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
At 6'1" and 225lbs, he was a giant of a man by the standards of the day, and he liked to use his size to his advantage. The hard hitting Abel quickly emerged as a quality defenseman.

His solid play and intimidating size earned him a spot of the US Olympic team for the 1924 winter games held in Chamonix, France. Other than the powerhouse team from Canada, Olympic competition was pretty weak in those days. Abel, never a noted offensive player, scored 15 goals in 5 games. Only Canada held him scoreless, although he made his presence felt in a more typical way.

In 1926 the expansion New York Rangers signed Abel and teamed him with the equally mean-spirited Ching Johnson to form one of the most physical defensive pairings in the league. They quickly established their NHL reputation as well, as their physical intimidation was an important piece of the Rangers' Stanley Cup championship puzzle just two years later.

Abel and Johnson's finest moment came in those 1928 playoffs. With goalie Lorne Chabot falling to an eye injury during game 2 of the finals against the Montreal Maroons, 45 year old coach Lester Patrick donned the goalie equipment for the first time in his life and played goal. Abel and Johnson played the game of their life, protecting their inexperienced goaltender en route to one of the most unexpected victories in Stanley Cup playoff history. One report suggests Abel and Johnson allowed only 3 shots on goal against Patrick.

Never known for his offensive capabilities, Abel was a scary stay- at- home defenseman. His best offensive season was in 1926 - 27 when he scored 8 goals for 12 points. Abel finished his 8 season campaign with 18 goals and 18 assists for 36 points and 359 PIM's.