HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Room For Improvement

Old
05-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Boy, umm....no.

1. McPhee and Boudreau like the Hershey Bear Championship nature of their hockey team. You can see without looking too closely that Boudreau sees this team developing as a championship team along the same lines as the Hershey team. Neither are going to ask for an infusion of failed Toronto theory in areas where the Caps are not needy. Meaning I could see a trade for Kaberle or even Kubina, but no chance they use assets for forwards.

2. McPhee has said repeatedly that he wants to using his system to fill whereever possible. He can not callup experience and a veteran player might be acquired or even two, if say Fedorov were to retire. Bourque is the leading scorer in Hershey this playoffs. He is cheap and part of the same plan that Laich, Gordon, Steckel, Fleischmann, and Fehr are. He plays here first. Certainly before an expensive veteran like Poni plays here.

3. Fedorov never agrees to sign as an extra player. Period. Maybe you haven't noticed but he is centering the first line.
I never said it was likely to happen.

So far the successful transitions from Hershey have been Green and to a lesser extent Laich. Possibly Fleischmann in the future. The rest of the guys we have are role players. It's pretty obvious we have no one in the pipeline capable of supporting Semin's offensive output. Grabovski is definitely good enough for that and has impressively matured this season. Miles ahead of Laich, Steckel, Perreault, Gustafsson or whoever else we can come up with. With the proper linemates he's a 60-70 point playmaking center with improving defensive acumen. We could use someone like that.

Laich, Gordon, Steckel, Fleischmann and Fehr are good supporting players. Bourque could transition successfully to the NHL but I don't see it happening. He's got a size disadvantage and hasn't seemed as impressive as Flash when Flash was down there. Also, he's either a top 6 player or bust. I'm hoping he pulls through but I really don't see him being an effective compliment to someone like Ovechkin or Semin.

And since when are 2.1 million 25 goal wingers considered expensive? Yeah, Ponikarovsky could probably be done without, but he's very cheap for what he brings.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

- More poise & hockey sense on the blueline
- A scoring-line forward or two that love to get their nose(s) dirty
- Don't have $12M tied up in bloated contracts to stiffs

The rest are coachable areas like getting them to simplify their games to a greater extent and attacking & defending better as five-man units.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
And since when are 2.1 million 25 goal wingers considered expensive?
When you are advocating replacing $.725 mil 20 goal scorers with them...

Ponikarovsky is a nice player and his size would be a nice addition to the Caps but is he 3 times better than Fleischmann? No. Part of the reason Ponikarovsky and Grabovski had as good of offensive seasons as they did this year is because the Leafs had so little talent up front and someone had to earn the points. It is kind of similar to the Caps after the fire sale and Halpern was putting up a bunch of points.

I guess my point is that when thinking of replacing a guy like Fleischmann, who is still only 24 and just completed his 2nd NHL season while improving a good bit over his 1st, you can't ignore that $.725 mil in the cap number column.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
On a related not, PUT BROOKS BACK ON THE FIRST UNIT PP! This isn't rocket science, the Caps had the hottest PP in the league when their unit was Ovy-Backis-Semin-Green-Brooks. Sub in Feds and Poti as necessary, but don't start Flash on the first unit.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=2158

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
On a related not, PUT BROOKS BACK ON THE FIRST UNIT PP! This isn't rocket science, the Caps had the hottest PP in the league when their unit was Ovy-Backis-Semin-Green-Brooks. Sub in Feds and Poti as necessary, but don't start Flash on the first unit.
I'm beginning to fear that Flash will forever be cemented on the 1st PP, regardless of futility.

Playoffs = get someone in front of the net to create havoc and screen. I'm not an NHL coach, but I think that's pretty standard fare isn't it?

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
txpd

Quote:
Why? The Caps have the best PP% in the east in the playoffs. Why mess with that?
There are bigger fish to fry than tinkering for the sake of tinkering.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
I'm beginning to fear that Flash will forever be cemented on the 1st PP, regardless of futility.

Playoffs = get someone in front of the net to create havoc and screen. I'm not an NHL coach, but I think that's pretty standard fare isn't it?
Not really. Some teams best offensive force on a power play is that guy in front of the net. Tomas Holmstrom comes to mind. The Caps, however, don't have a player that has the hands and the size to both create the screen/havoc and then finish off of it.

Brooks Laich can do it, but frankly even with good position he is the 5th most likely guy on the ice to score for the Caps. Ovechkin, Semin and Green score off of quick puck movement followed by shot placement. The screening player almost never is capable of moving as quickly as the passing to set up those shots. Laich in fact scores his PPG's off the rebounds of those shots into the empty side of the net which means he is not in front of the goalie when the shots come in. He does not score them by way of the deflection.

Old
05-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Why? The Caps have the best PP% in the east in the playoffs. Why mess with that?
There are bigger fish to fry than tinkering for the sake of tinkering.
Because that unit lacks a puck retriever, which Laich provides. It is not like the Caps' no. 1 unit wasn't really successful with Laich out there also. I don't have anything against Fleischmann but the Pens are standing up at the blueline and making the Caps dump it in and they are having a lot of trouble getting it back. Once in and under control they are pretty money but it is getting harder for them to do that.

Yes there are bigger problems but I don't think you can say that getting into the zone recently hasn't been a bit of one.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Bananas

Stop it!

Didn't we already close a thread exactly like this?

This **** is not kosher.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

So, I participated in a GM game on the mock draft board, and this was the team I ended up with.

Alex Ovechkin - Nicklas Backstrom - Viktor Kozlov
Brooks Laich - Mike Cammalleri - Alex Semin
Matt Stajan - Sergei Fedorov - Eric Fehr
Chris Bourque - David Steckel - Matt Bradley
Quintin Laing

Shaone Morrisonn - Mike Green
Tom Poti - Kim Johnsson
Karl Alzner - Brian Pothier
John Erskine

Semyon Varlamov
Brent Johnson

Trades

To Toronto - Future Considerations
To Washington - Olaf Kolzig

To Minnesota - Michael Nylander
To Washington - 6th round pick, Petr Kalus

To Toronto - Tomas Fleischmann, Francois Bouchard
To Washington - Matt Stajan, Alex Foster

To Minnesota - Jeff Schultz
To Washington - Kim Johnsson

Re-signings

Sergei Fedorov - 1 year, 2.25 million
Viktor Kozlov - 2 years, 2.25 million per.
Eric Fehr - 2 years, 1.2 million per.
Quintin Laing - 3 years, .750 million per.
Chris Bourque - 1 year, .850 million per.
Shaone Morrisonn - 4 years, 3.25 million per.
Brent Johnson - 1 year, 1.6 million

Who I got rid of

Donald Brashear - Didn't resign him
Boyd Gordon - Didn't resign him
Milan Jurcina - Didn't resign him
Jose Theodore - Waived, sent to Hershey
Chris Clark - Waived, sent to Hershey

Free agent signings

Mike Cammalleri - 5 years, 6.25 million per.

Analysis: I tried to keep it realistic and have fun with it. I fit under that cap, but I'm going to be screwed next year when Semin and Backstrom need new contracts. I tried to acquire Kubina but the price was to high. I got some offers for Semin, but I decided to keep him. I think I improved the defence with Johnsson, he's a veteran who plays 20+ minutes a night for Minnesota. I added Stajan who is a Brooks Laich type player. Cammalleri is one of Boudreau's favorite players so I signed him.

Tell me what you think.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:07 PM
txpd

Fun game. The results are not close to the reality of what will happen, however.

You think the Caps are going to let Boyd Gordon go? You think they are going to waive Chris Clark? No chance on both

Old
05-10-2009, 04:13 PM
third man in

Morrisonn is badly overpaid at that price.

I like Cammi but not at that term.

I wouldn't of resigned Kozlov this team needs to replace him with some grit.

Wouldn't waive Clark either at least not until giving him some time to see if he can regain some form.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I know some of my moves were unrealistic, but I was trying to have fun with it...I don't think Mcphee would ever waive Clark, or make some of the other moves I made, but I still think I put a good team together.

Old
05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I know some of my moves were unrealistic, but I was trying to have fun with it...I don't think Mcphee would ever waive Clark, or make some of the other moves I made, but I still think I put a good team together.
Dude, you're insane re-signing Mo at that price. If I did bring him back, it wouldn't be for a penny over the minimum dollar value of the qualifying offer.

Take some of that money, and the money you throw at Cammy, and go after Bouwmeester.

Old
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Take some of that money, and the money you throw at Cammy, and go after Bouwmeester.
Jaybo plays the right position but is not the right player. That Caps have bare minimum playoff experience on the blue line and the last thing I would do is spend $7m for 7 years on a player with no playoff experience.

Also the Caps have no minutes available on the PP point, at least none on the first unit. Wrong player.

Old
05-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Dude, you're insane re-signing Mo at that price. If I did bring him back, it wouldn't be for a penny over the minimum dollar value of the qualifying offer.

That makes sense, but I wasn't thinking about Bouwmeester at the time.

When I did resign Morrisonn is was when he was playing great in the Rangers series. I guess I got carried away with him.

Old
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
That Caps have bare minimum playoff experience on the blue line
I don't think we will be able to say that after this year. They certainly don't have a lot of experience, but everyone other than Alzner and Carlson will have at least 3 series, at least one of which they won. Just sayin'.

Old
05-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Experience is over-rated.

I'll take ability and attention to detail any day.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Jaybo plays the right position but is not the right player. That Caps have bare minimum playoff experience on the blue line and the last thing I would do is spend $7m for 7 years on a player with no playoff experience.

Also the Caps have no minutes available on the PP point, at least none on the first unit. Wrong player.
Jaybo's lack of playoff experience is of no fault of his own. He's a brilliant defenseman in my eyes. His speed, size, and defensive acumen would be a HUGE lift to the defense. He doesn't give you the nastiness and experience that Pronger brings, but those are the only traits, IMO, that Pronger bests Jaybo.

Old
05-10-2009, 10:26 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
After watching these two games against the Pens, the one thing I was left wanting was a Dman who will honestly clear the crease, reliably , not just once in a blue moon. Green was hideous at that in game 2 and let Sid have a hat trick because of his timidness or confusion around the crease. In ether case, you're allowed to play the body and check the puck, but Green does neither around the crease.

So if I would add or change anything I'd find a Mark Tinordi type to pair with Green to help clean up that mess. Erskine is playing well, but he's all that we have as far as that goes. Juice has been stepping up his physical play, but we need at least three serious physical Dmen to pair with our three soft puck movers.
Hey bro,

Long time, no hear.

Thought you were in Colorado?

My thoughts:

We're a perimeter shooting team. We need at least one real power forward who can set screens(2 actually, but one would be nice).

Gotta agree about the 3 stay at home types: you're quite correct.

Varly might be okay. But I can't forget the same experiment we did with Matt Herr, and we both remember how that turned out.

I like AO, but he's a one trick pony...and the biggest cherry picker in the league. It's the same thing every shift: cheat up every shift and hang around our opponent's blue line. When our opponent's intercept the pass or get control otherwise, he skates like he has sore feet.

BB has done press conferences totally oblivious to what happened on the ice. When he is coherent, he doesn't stick up for his players, chosing instead to hang the blame on them.

The Jman just finished his first year at West Virginia University. You were a big influence on him. We all miss you, and hope you're well!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 10:29 PM
amjay13

Jason Arnott.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
We're a perimeter shooting team. We need at least one real power forward who can set screens(2 actually, but one would be nice).
You have absolutely no right using the term "we" in association with the Washington Capitals. You only post when the Caps lose, and you only post complaints. Plus you're an admitted Red Wings fan. The Wings forum is that way. Goodbye.

Old
05-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
You have absolutely no right using the term "we" in association with the Washington Capitals. You only post when the Caps lose, and you only post complaints. Plus you're an admitted Red Wings fan. The Wings forum is that way. Goodbye.
This post brought to you by the letters "G", "T", "F" and "O".

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Jason Arnott.
Would be nice, but I'd be shocked if Nashville dealt him for anything less than Semin heading the other way.