HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Room For Improvement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2009, 05:29 AM
  #51
CUBErt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
I'm not exactly sure how the Caps would afford Pronger or Bouwmeester at this point. For next season, maybe. After that all available money needs to be directed towards Bäckström and Semin. And the cap might not even go up, it might also come down.

This all could obviously change, if McPhee is able to get rid of Nylander, Theodore and Clark. Maybe Pothier as well, as I don't think he adds much to the D right now. Making all of these salary dumps is going to be difficult though. I'd focus on getting rid of Nylander. He's the only guy the Caps have absolutely no use for and his contract is for two more years. Get rid of Nylander and it will be a successful off-season.

Another way to work around the cap would of course be to trade Semin. I have a feeling that the return wouldn't be as high as we would like to think though. Whether true or not, I think Semin is widely seen as a questionable character who could easily bail to Russian at some point. After what happened with Radulov, teams might not want to send a big time player the other way or mortgage their future to get Semin. I know I probably wouldn't.

Another name I'd like throw out there is Owen Nolan (to replace Kozlov). Any takers?

CUBErt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:01 AM
  #52
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
You have absolutely no right using the term "we" in association with the Washington Capitals. You only post when the Caps lose, and you only post complaints. Plus you're an admitted Red Wings fan. The Wings forum is that way. Goodbye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
This post brought to you by the letters "G", "T", "F" and "O".

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
  #53
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Jaybo's lack of playoff experience is of no fault of his own. He's a brilliant defenseman in my eyes. His speed, size, and defensive acumen would be a HUGE lift to the defense. He doesn't give you the nastiness and experience that Pronger brings, but those are the only traits, IMO, that Pronger bests Jaybo.
Not his own fault, true, but still a fact. Look at Nylander. That looked like a pretty decent move when it was made. Bouwmeester is an unknown. IF McPhee can acquire a player of Bouwmeester's stature, he will be able to get ONLY ONE. That means that McPhee has one shot to get it right. That means getting a player that is a known commodity. As a playoff performer, Bouwmeester is not that.

One more thing. A major difference between Pronger and Bouwmeester. Pronger has 1 year left on his contract. If its not a good fit, they can move on. If Bouwmeester doesnt work out, its a killer 6 to 8 year contract that is untradeable.

Too many questions. Too much risk. The Caps have Mike Green for Bouwmeester minutes. That makes the risk unnecessary with that player. Try a different one.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:25 AM
  #54
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBErt View Post
I'm not exactly sure how the Caps would afford Pronger or Bouwmeester at this point. For next season, maybe. After that all available money needs to be directed towards Bäckström and Semin. And the cap might not even go up, it might also come down.

This all could obviously change, if McPhee is able to get rid of Nylander, Theodore and Clark. Maybe Pothier as well, as I don't think he adds much to the D right now. Making all of these salary dumps is going to be difficult though. I'd focus on getting rid of Nylander. He's the only guy the Caps have absolutely no use for and his contract is for two more years. Get rid of Nylander and it will be a successful off-season.

Another way to work around the cap would of course be to trade Semin. I have a feeling that the return wouldn't be as high as we would like to think though. Whether true or not, I think Semin is widely seen as a questionable character who could easily bail to Russian at some point. After what happened with Radulov, teams might not want to send a big time player the other way or mortgage their future to get Semin. I know I probably wouldn't.

Another name I'd like throw out there is Owen Nolan (to replace Kozlov). Any takers?
I think Nylander and Theodore will be gone by next season one way or the other. I see no evidence that Clark is leaving or that McPhee would want to move him. His play since returning has been pretty strong, in my view.

I also think that Semin is far more dedicated to this hockey team than many give credit.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:49 AM
  #55
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 15,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Would be nice, but I'd be shocked if Nashville dealt him for anything less than Semin heading the other way.
And I'm sure they'd love a temperamental Russian

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
  #56
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
You have absolutely no right using the term "we" in association with the Washington Capitals. You only post when the Caps lose, and you only post complaints. Plus you're an admitted Red Wings fan. The Wings forum is that way. Goodbye.
I have every right, and frankly, it's none of your business.

I'm a season ticket holder, and have seen every game for the last 10 years.

It's true that I rarely post these days.... and it's for several reasons.

1- I don't find threads that consist of posts like:

"Please score"

"Bad call"

"Schultz sucks"

"etc"

to be all that entertaining. I'm at the game to watch the game, not to play with my cell phone trying to be the first to post the obvious. Dittos to away games: I'm watching the game, not spending half the time looking at my computer screen.

2- There's nothing to post. Every year, it's the same thing: too many offenceive defenceman, one-way players, and in the last several years, poor goaltending. I told you this in a post in October.

3- It's like Romper Room in here. One poster made an astute point recently. He pointed out that the team consists of a handful of good players, and when a few of those players are off their game, it's glaringly noticable.

And what happened after? Against the site rules, he was jumped on and berated like a group of ants attacking a dropped sandwich at a picnic.

There seems to be this notion that you are doing a greater good, being loyal, etc., by calling a bad product good. This has become the theatre of the absurd these days by attempting to rewrite history.

This team wasn't planned. We got the best players that we could from a fire sale. AO was obtained from a combination of failure and pure luck in a coin flip, if I recall correctly.

Beyond this, I love hockey. I've enjoyed all of the SCP, and have watched all of the series. I do this every year. I attended the Frozen Four, and saw what I could of World Cup.

I am also a Cap fan. So I have enjoyed the Caps regular season success of late. Given the weakness of the Eastern Conference, I see no reason to think this regular season success cannot continue.

But I am also a Red Wing fan. And the difference between my 2 favorite teams is that the Wings give me and the rest of their fans something back. They are an organization dedicated to excellence. Do they win every year? Nope. But they're always building and improving.

Recently, I cleaned out a few old boxes and found some of my old hockey vcr tapes, including the Caps/Wings SCF (HNIC, no less).

I was struck by the difference in that Cap team vs the current team. That team didn't take a single shift off. They were unrelenting beasts.

I want that team back. But unless we rehire Poile, it ain't ever gonna happen.

I know that there isn't a single one of you who understand that, which is the final reason that I really don't care what you think.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna be pulling big-time tonight for us. The team did show me something by coming back against the Rags, and maybe there's a miracle or 2 left.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
  #57
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,417
vCash: 500
If you don't care what anyone here thinks, why bother posting? Serious question, not trying to flame.

I post here because I enjoy hearing the opinions of posters knowledgable about hockey, who are able to stay even-keeled and reasonable. I think that's pretty universal amongst the regular posters on this forum, which is why posters who do nothing but constantly berate GMGM, Boudreau, Ted, etc. aren't treated especially well. They're just airing out their own personal vendettas, and it clutters the board with nonsense that is really tiring.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
  #58
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,298
vCash: 500
It's pretty obvious to me what needs to be done in the offseason for improvement...

1. Get rid of Nylander. Buyout, waive, re-entry waivers, hope to retire, ship off to Kazakhstan...I don't really care. It's not his fault...but his salary (or a part of his salary) has to go.

2. Get Ovie and Backstrom a RW. Don't ask me who...because I have no idea who that guy is at this point. Is he in the system? Isn't looking that way...but who knows. What I do know...he better be Canadian.

3. Land a impact defensive D man...using Semin as the bait. Yeah, I'm in the trade Semin boat...as long as the return is an impact defenseman. Who? No idea at this point. I still want Kubina...but we'll see.

4. Make a decision on Bourque...which they will have to with his RFA status. I mean really...he's either going to be a full time NHL'er or he isn't. I think he can be...but not sure how they feel about it.

5. Hire someone to help with the PK. Granted...it's been better this postseason...but really...fix it or get the players to make it better.

Aside from that...the majority of the core will be back...and that's a good thing all things considered.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
  #59
DaleHunter
Registered User
 
DaleHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
If we simply replaced Flash/Fehr with Hartnell (or someone like him), and replaced Schultz with Pronger, we'd be a Stanley Cup contender.

I also wonder how well this team would be doing if we had gotten Pronger and Guerin at the deadline.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
  #60
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 41,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
It's pretty obvious to me what needs to be done in the offseason for improvement...

1. Get rid of Nylander. Buyout, waive, re-entry waivers, hope to retire, ship off to Kazakhstan...I don't really care. It's not his fault...but his salary (or a part of his salary) has to go.

2. Get Ovie and Backstrom a RW. Don't ask me who...because I have no idea who that guy is at this point. Is he in the system? Isn't looking that way...but who knows. What I do know...he better be Canadian.

3. Land a impact defensive D man...using Semin as the bait. Yeah, I'm in the trade Semin boat...as long as the return is an impact defenseman. Who? No idea at this point. I still want Kubina...but we'll see.

4. Make a decision on Bourque...which they will have to with his RFA status. I mean really...he's either going to be a full time NHL'er or he isn't. I think he can be...but not sure how they feel about it.

5. Hire someone to help with the PK. Granted...it's been better this postseason...but really...fix it or get the players to make it better.

Aside from that...the majority of the core will be back...and that's a good thing all things considered.
1. I think Nylander will be gone one way or the other.
2. I don't think this going to workout the way you want it to, at least initially. They don't have a budget for a RW unless they trade Semin....so.
3. I don see them trading Semin. He is part of the fabric of the team.
4. Here is your RW, if its not Clark again. The reason Bourque played all season in the AHL was because Fleischmann is one of Bruce's boys and will get every chance to make it. Fehr may not get as many chances but will get every one available til something has to be done. Bourque is leading the Bears in playoff points, delivering every game. He is going to play next year because he can't go to Hershey like he could this season.

One of Fehr or Fleischmann are going to lose to make ice time for Bourque. This season was for Fehr and Flash to stick. Neither has played Bourque out of the organEYEzation.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:06 PM
  #61
CUBErt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
How about this?

Ovechkin - Bäckström - [Nolan]
Fleischmann - [Saku Koivu] - Semin
Laich - Steckel - Bradley
Clark- Gordon - Fehr
(Bourque)

[Beauchemin] - Green
Alzner - Poti
Erskine - Pothier
(Jurcina)

Varlamov
Johnson

I realize that Beauchemin is not necessarily the impact defender many of you want, but he is a UFA with good playoff experience who can play big minutes. He might want too much money though, although this season's injury should push his price down a bit.

Koivu over Fedorov might seem unnecessary, but Sergei will turn 40 next season and might decide to retire anyway. I'm pushing for Koivu because he's a known leader and playoff warrior, who I think could still score 60-70 points with either Alex. He wants a cup badly (and is a UFA).

If the Koivu idea is a poor one then the Caps could of course just go with Aucoin to start the season and use the extra money to upgrade the Beauchemin idea. There might be more center options available closer to the deadline next year.

Bourque and Fehr are not ideal 4th line players, but at least this way the team would have real scoring depth. If Flash can't get his game back on Bourque (or Laich) could take his spot on the second line. Nolan (cap hit 2,75 for one more year) probably wouldn't be able to play a full season anyway, so Fehr would also get to play several games replacing him on the top 2 lines. In any case, pay more attention to the players than where I have placed them.

This team would probably be a few million under the cap, although it's hard to estimate. It might still be too expensive though, as the Caps really need to get rid of a good deal of money to lock up Bäckström and Semin for the 10/11 season.

CUBErt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
  #62
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The Caps have Mike Green for Bouwmeester minutes. That makes the risk unnecessary with that player. Try a different one.
I think that also makes Pronger somewhat unnecessary. A #2 defenseman would suffice. Hopefully the reports of Alzner having a concussion is nothing serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Recently, I cleaned out a few old boxes and found some of my old hockey vcr tapes, including the Caps/Wings SCF (HNIC, no less).

I was struck by the difference in that Cap team vs the current team. That team didn't take a single shift off. They were unrelenting beasts.

I want that team back. But unless we rehire Poile, it ain't ever gonna happen.

I know that there isn't a single one of you who understand that, which is the final reason that I really don't care what you think.
Yeah, blanket statements are so much superior in their logic than what you yourself decry. Hard to debate with that mindset.

I don't know that they need to re-hire Poile but they do need to change the team culture...and that starts from the top down with a more comprehensive approach and a more delicate understanding of the sort of blend of players and overall commitment that it takes to win a Cup. On top of that...less marketing, less rock star, more blue collar work ethic, more two-way responsibility. Defense and attention to detail may not be things that get you on the edge of your seat but it's all a part of winning and that has to be the ultimate goal. Not just an entertaining product but one that is constantly developing and adding elements to their game. I didn't see many signs of that drive to round out their game down the stretch and yet despite that sort of complacent coaching they're keeping things interesting here in the second round due to their raw ability (Varlamov included).

I think it's pretty clear that this team's core players have the raw ability to seriously contend for a Cup in the years to come but they're going to have to be driven towards being more complete players and they'll need to be surrounded by the right cast of character support players. The later can be improved in the off-season, the former must be more seriously addressed by the coaching staff.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
  #63
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,417
vCash: 500
The struggles in the playoffs have been very beneficial to the long-term outlook of the organization, IMO. It's much more obvious now the aspects of the team that need improvement.

Add speed, grit, and defense (from both the forwards and the blueline). Adding some more veteran leadership wouldn't hurt either. Do those things, and if Varlamov can continue to play well, the team will be equipped for sustained playoff success.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:47 PM
  #64
WcRoenick97
Registered User
 
WcRoenick97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: D.C.
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
Hartnell would be PERFECT for this team.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
  #65
WcRoenick97
Registered User
 
WcRoenick97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: D.C.
Posts: 1,766
vCash: 500
And I have a feeling Clark is going to be our RW "pick-up" just as Pothier was our D man "pick-up."

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:08 PM
  #66
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
It's pretty obvious to me what needs to be done in the offseason for improvement...

1. Get rid of Nylander. Buyout, waive, re-entry waivers, hope to retire, ship off to Kazakhstan...I don't really care. It's not his fault...but his salary (or a part of his salary) has to go.

2. Get Ovie and Backstrom a RW. Don't ask me who...because I have no idea who that guy is at this point. Is he in the system? Isn't looking that way...but who knows. What I do know...he better be Canadian.

3. Land a impact defensive D man...using Semin as the bait. Yeah, I'm in the trade Semin boat...as long as the return is an impact defenseman. Who? No idea at this point. I still want Kubina...but we'll see.

4. Make a decision on Bourque...which they will have to with his RFA status. I mean really...he's either going to be a full time NHL'er or he isn't. I think he can be...but not sure how they feel about it.

5. Hire someone to help with the PK. Granted...it's been better this postseason...but really...fix it or get the players to make it better.

Aside from that...the majority of the core will be back...and that's a good thing all things considered.
1. Completely agree. I'm sure it is pretty obvious to even Nylander that his time is done on this team. I predict his NMC not being a problem this summer. ~addition by subtraction.

2. With you on this as well. Need to have a RW with some playoff grit but doesn't have to be top line RW'er. Clark-like from his 30 goal year. ~upshall/hartnell type player.

3. Semin is the easiest asset on the trading block but would really push towards only having one scoring line on a team. I'd rather trade an Alzner or Carlson for a veteran D-man.

4. If Bourque doesn't get moved in the off season I imagine he'll be with the big club as a depth forward.

5. Agree with the PK sentiment. Don't know if a coach is needed but the coaching staff should concentrate on that.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
  #67
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,298
vCash: 500
What is Cheechoo's deal out in San Jose? What happened to his scoring touch? He is done as a top line guy?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:16 PM
  #68
Burgh32
Registered User
 
Burgh32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: S.J
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
Hartnell would be PERFECT for this team.
Except for his salary.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
  #69
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
It's pretty obvious to me what needs to be done in the offseason for improvement...

1. Get rid of Nylander. Buyout, waive, re-entry waivers, hope to retire, ship off to Kazakhstan...I don't really care. It's not his fault...but his salary (or a part of his salary) has to go.

2. Get Ovie and Backstrom a RW. Don't ask me who...because I have no idea who that guy is at this point. Is he in the system? Isn't looking that way...but who knows. What I do know...he better be Canadian.

3. Land a impact defensive D man...using Semin as the bait. Yeah, I'm in the trade Semin boat...as long as the return is an impact defenseman. Who? No idea at this point. I still want Kubina...but we'll see.

4. Make a decision on Bourque...which they will have to with his RFA status. I mean really...he's either going to be a full time NHL'er or he isn't. I think he can be...but not sure how they feel about it.

5. Hire someone to help with the PK. Granted...it's been better this postseason...but really...fix it or get the players to make it better.

Aside from that...the majority of the core will be back...and that's a good thing all things considered.
1. Montreal's our best bet for a trade, I'd wager.

2. Trade for Doan (hopefully the league takes over the Yotes), sign LaRose or Knuble.

3. For a Pronger or Markov-level guy, I'd trade Semin, but not for a lesser player. I'd rather sign Ohlund or Beauchemin than trade Semin for a non-elite guy. I do think Kubina could be had for a lot less than Semin, however.

4. I have a feeling Bourque's gone, as much as I don't like it. Bradley's got his roster spot.

5. Jay Leach has to be replaced. The PK and defense have been lacking, to say the least. I wouldn't mind getting a Peca, Axelsson, or Pahlsson to help in that area.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:26 PM
  #70
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
What is Cheechoo's deal out in San Jose? What happened to his scoring touch? He is done as a top line guy?
He got taken off of Thornton's line and that was it. Don't know how much scoring touch he really had, to be honest.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
  #71
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
He got taken off of Thornton's line and that was it. Don't know how much scoring touch he really had, to be honest.
It's weird....his goal totals have just plummeted. 56, 37, 23, 12.

That's nuts.

He's only 28 (29 this July).

Hmmm.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:35 PM
  #72
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
It's weird....his goal totals have just plummeted. 56, 37, 23, 12.

That's nuts.

He's only 28 (29 this July).

Hmmm.
If he had any wheels whatsoever, I'd be all for giving him a look. But he's almost John Erskine slow. He got very fortunate when his team got him Joe Thornton playing the best hockey of his career. He's a decent 2nd line winger in my mind.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
  #73
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,703
vCash: 1300
Improve on our drafting. Its probably too late, but GMGM should have been drafting a few Hartnell fire plug grit pest screen guy types of forwards over the years. Maybe he did and they didnt pan out, but its not rocket science to know that every team needs those types of players.

As we sit now, GMGM needs to move some of those precious young dmen he has been hording and fill in the gaps.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
  #74
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 19,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Improve on our drafting. Its probably too late, but GMGM should have been drafting a few Hartnell fire plug grit pest screen guy types of forwards over the years. Maybe he did and they didnt pan out, but its not rocket science to know that every team needs those types of players.

As we sit now, GMGM needs to move some of those precious young dmen he has been hording and fill in the gaps.
I think we've seen an effort to that effect the past couple years with SDR, Bruneteau, Leffler, Taylor, Broda and Osala. Obviously they won't all work out, but I think the intent is there.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:46 PM
  #75
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If he had any wheels whatsoever, I'd be all for giving him a look. But he's almost John Erskine slow. He got very fortunate when his team got him Joe Thornton playing the best hockey of his career. He's a decent 2nd line winger in my mind.
Well really...does the RW on a line with Backstrom and Ovie have to be a barn burner?

It needs to be a guy with size that is willing to drive the net when Ovie is gearing up for a shot. A guy that can pounce on rebounds and cause traffic and score those trash goals.

Maybe Clark is still the guy....or he's in the same boat as Cheechoo.

Bah.

Keep looking.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.