HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Room For Improvement

Old
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think we've seen an effort to that effect the past couple years with SDR, Bruneteau, Leffler, Taylor, Broda and Osala. Obviously they won't all work out, but I think the intent is there.
LOL i kinda knew we had to have drafted some, hence my disclaimer maybe he did... i knew i may get in trouble there. I say it all the time, Ovi expedited our rebuild so we are caught a little soft up top now. If i was a GM i may follow a formula, draft a scorer, a passer, grit defensive forward, a D a G. Draft rinse repeat.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Well really...does the RW on a line with Backstrom and Ovie have to be a barn burner?

It needs to be a guy with size that is willing to drive the net when Ovie is gearing up for a shot. A guy that can pounce on rebounds and cause traffic and score those trash goals.

Maybe Clark is still the guy....or he's in the same boat as Cheechoo.

Bah.

Keep looking.
Erik Cole would be the perfect guy, he'll just cost too much. I see him re-signing in Carolina anyway.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 01:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
LOL i kinda knew we had to have drafted some, hence my disclaimer maybe he did... i knew i may get in trouble there. I say it all the time, Ovi expedited our rebuild so we are caught a little soft up top now. If i was a GM i may follow a formula, draft a scorer, a passer, grit defensive forward, a D a G. Draft rinse repeat.
No worries. I realize that most people don't follow prospects as closely.

I think GMGM's rebuild plan was to just assemble as much talent as possible, and then see where all that talent falls out and what holes you're left with. I'm hopeful he looks to those holes starting this offseason. I don't think the Caps are far off, at all. No major changes are needed, just a few tweaks to the makeup of the team.

Old
05-11-2009, 01:57 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I kind of hope they leave the forwards alone. Just letting Kozlov and Fedorov walk and letting the Hershey kids get a shot should work. The core of this team is good enough to compete just fine during the regular season. Let the kids get experience, pick up points during the season, accumulate cap room, bring in a couple vets at the deadline.

On the backline I really want to see the addition of one of Beauchemin, Kubina, or Ohlund.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
txpd

Quote:
Well really...does the RW on a line with Backstrom and Ovie have to be a barn burner?

It needs to be a guy with size that is willing to drive the net when Ovie is gearing up for a shot. A guy that can pounce on rebounds and cause traffic and score those trash goals.

Maybe Clark is still the guy....or he's in the same boat as Cheechoo.

Bah.

Keep looking.
Cheechoo is a catch and shoot player. With Ovechkin and Backstrom they need a puck retriever. Which is exactly what Kozlov and Clark are with differing skill sets.
Cheechoo can't retrieve because he can't chase. A one trick pony.

Again, I suggest that Bourque is the player. He is fast and gritty and is a puck retriever with a nice touch on his passing.

For a veteran, Knuble is the guy.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Adding Knuble & Beauchemin is something I can really get behind, though there will likely be ample competition for both (on top of keeping in mind their long-term cap situation). You've got to bring in at least one forward from the UFA market if Kozlov & Fedorov walk. Bourque may be good in a depth role next season but I don't want them having to count on Fleischmann and Fehr as consistent top 6 guys next season. That's a lot to ask and likely keeps the team overly reliant on their first PP unit to be their big difference makers on a regular basis. It could work out but it's a bit too risky if they really want to make strides as a deeper team.

Sutherby is the only PF prospect GMGM has drafted early outside of the no-brainer at #1 in 2004. But that pick was under the old NHL rules and his injuries didn't help him transition into a key new NHL player. A guy like Osala may well pan out but there are quite a few power forward-ish players that look to be available in this summer's draft last in the first round. Highly unlikely they make an impact for a few years but it's worth the investment.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I kind of hope they leave the forwards alone. Just letting Kozlov and Fedorov walk and letting the Hershey kids get a shot should work. The core of this team is good enough to compete just fine during the regular season. Let the kids get experience, pick up points during the season, accumulate cap room, bring in a couple vets at the deadline.

On the backline I really want to see the addition of one of Beauchemin, Kubina, or Ohlund.
RE: the forwards here that is along the lines of what i'm thinking unless management really gets the the hots for a vet forward this off season.

05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
ahimsa

Trade Semin for Radulov. My 2 cents.

ahimsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:59 PM
ahimsa

Haven't really kept up with Ryan Stone but wasn't he Eric Fehr's partner when they did really well back with Brandon? Don't know what kind of player he's turned out to be. Physical? Should be cheap. Just a stab in the dark. Don't know what kind of team mate he is or if he takes too many penalties. Still wish we'd picked up Ladd.

Old
05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
CUBErt

Is Rob Blake any good anymore? His stats look nice, but is he still a useful player to have? The Caps could always try to pick him up for a year. Only problem(?) is he hasn't ever played in the East, but the same could be said about Pronger.

CUBErt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:12 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Trade Semin for Radulov. My 2 cents.
What does that accomplish other than making Poile the happiest man alive (and getting GMGM fired)?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Haven't really kept up with Ryan Stone but wasn't he Eric Fehr's partner when they did really well back with Brandon? Don't know what kind of player he's turned out to be. Physical? Should be cheap. Just a stab in the dark. Don't know what kind of team mate he is or if he takes too many penalties. Still wish we'd picked up Ladd.
So your plan is to pick up a career AHLer and trade a PPG+ player for a player that left the NHL for Russia?

Old
05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
SamIamnot

If McPhee is to pursue a top-line RW outside the organization one I hope he looks at is Martin St. Louis. I think he'd be perfect on the top line along with Ovy and Nick. He is not as big as I think many of us would want but he plays much bigger than his size plus his skill, talent, and heart are all top notch. Whether he would even be available and what it would take to get him are big questions. Given his age and Tampa's current situation I suspect he may be one of the cheapest quick fixes out there.

If the Caps got him some hefty salary would need to go south to make it fit since St. Louis' hit is 5.25.

I wonder if something like Nylander (4.875) + Fehr (RFA) + 1st rd pick?

Nylander is obviously a dump who TB may not take in any case even adding in Fehr (who I am still high on and could still develop into a good 1st line RW) and a high pick. TB would probably need to have traded Vinny to consider taking Nylander.

Thoughts?

SamIamnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
TransatlanticIce

I wouldn't trade Fehr, but I think it is beyond obvious by now that Nylander must go. However, the concern have with Marty Saint-Louis and Vinny Lecavalier is that this is most likely the last place they'd like to go, they'd most likely want to go to the Habs first.

TransatlanticIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:16 PM
CUBErt

I doubt that Tampa wants to trade with the Caps. Going after St. Louis would have the additional bonus of keeping him out of Pittsburgh though, as that seems like a probable destination for him. Still, doesn't feel like a great option to me, although I'm sure he would score a ton of points in D.C.

Old
05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
txpd

1. Forget about St Louis for sure and Knuble very likely is way out of the Caps price range. I'd love to have Knuble, but Kozlov's $2.5m salary ain't gonna even start a conversation with his agent. Tampa thinks they are going to win the division next season, they are not going to trade St Louis to the Caps.

2. The only way the Caps land an accomplished RW is to trade Semin and then you are just trading goals. In my view the Caps can not get another winger that will out perform Semin. The fact is that with Ovechkin and Semin on the LW and Backstrom at center RW's will always come from the lower end of the payroll. They need a player like Clark to step up with 25 to 30 goals or they need a young guy like Fehr or Bourque or Fleischmann or Osala to establish as an inexpensive player to pop in 20.

The Caps payroll structure won't allow for Knuble or St Louis or Shane Doan. They need to rip off some team that doesnt realize one of their scrubs is a real player.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:21 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Stone has never been able to break in with the Pens. Looks like he even got traded to Springfield even. I assume he is still property of the Pens.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I'd love to have Knuble, but Kozlov's $2.5m salary ain't gonna even start a conversation with his agent....

2. The only way the Caps land an accomplished RW is to trade Semin and then you are just trading goals....

The Caps payroll structure won't allow for Knuble or St Louis or Shane Doan. They need to rip off some team that doesnt realize one of their scrubs is a real player.
Fedorov & Kozlov off the books frees up $6.5M right there. If they choose to further load up the forward ranks rather than defense then there's ample cap space for next season to make that sort of move. (I don't expect Knuble to get more than $3.5-4M per myself. Solid player but he is starting to slow down a bit.)

It's beyond next season which becomes dicey but that's going to be the case with pretty much with all of the contending clubs this summer. For that reason it's going to be a very interesting off-season around the league.

Old
05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
CUBErt

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Why not a guy like Owen Nolan? I feel like I'm starting to push him too much, but no one commented on the thought earlier. I think Nolan still has a lot of things going for him. He's a tough SOB who managed to score 25 goals and 45 points in 59 games this year while playing over 16 minutes a game. That's Kozlov totals and minutes right there, but with a higher likelihood of bringing it in the playoffs.

Nolan is already 37, so he is far from being a dream option, but he also only has one year left on his contract. At least he shouldn't cost much. I think Minnesota has a shortage of young D-men, which would make them a natural trading partner. Nolan could fill a top6 role for the Caps while Fehr/Bourque/whoever get ready to fill bigger shoes.

There's also always the additional plus of Nolan being Ovechkin's favorite player (at least I think I read that somewhere during AO's rookie season).

Alright, that's enough future stuff for now from me. Time to keep this season going.

Old
05-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Minnesota needs all of the offense they can get, especially with Gaborik likely headed out the door.

I've been wondering whether Nylander might make sense for the Wild (unless Saku joins Mikko Koivu this summer). Something like Nylander, Morrisonn and a mid-level D/F prospect for Johnsson. Johnsson has a very similar cap hit as Nylander but is UFA after next season. Nylander would have to okay such a move but you'd have to think a fresh start for him might not be the worst idea.

Old
05-11-2009, 07:43 PM
ahimsa

My intuition says that Radulov would come back if it were with Washington even if the $ wasn't there. Ya know, Semin just doesn't do it for me the way Radulov does. I've always liked him.

Semin just hasn't figured hockey out yet. Semin could have had an awesome career as a pairs figure skater. I do see that in him.

Stone and Fehr played well when Fehr was heating things up back in the day. Remember Fehr was selected one ahead of Getzlaf. Sometimes those old partnerships can work again. Just floating idea balloons.

Old
05-11-2009, 07:45 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

No more Russians....the quota has been reached for at least 4 years.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
The Viking Fury

If there were going to be any more Russians added, Radulov would probably be pretty far down the list, given his bolt from the NHL already.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
ahimsa

I'm also liking the youth movement especially of Chicago with a sprinkle of vets. Fewer old dinosaurs.

Old
05-11-2009, 07:48 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
No more Russians....the quota has been reached for at least 4 years.
I'd give a Russian Semin and get one back-Radulov. Who's to say that Kozlov and Federov are returning. Are the legs still there?