Proposal: NYR - ATL

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Proposal: NYR - ATL

Thrashers need a center for Kovalchuk. Todd white, while he did well, is not that center. They need some one who can distribute the puck, and is fast. Scott Gomez would be perfect IMHO. Heres the proposal.

I want perspective from Thrashers fans to see what they think on this.

Hows this for a deal.

Gomez, Sanguenetti, Korpikoski rights to Zherdev, Rangers first in 09 for Thrashers first in 09 and Todd White.

Its a win win. Thrashers get a top line center for Kovalchuk, two prospects and rights Zherdev who I have a feeling would DOMINATE with Gomez and Kovalchuk.

Rangers get rid of some salary, and a top draft pick.

For those of you who don't know much about the Rangers prospects, Sanguenetti is one of our top three prospects and top defensive prospect.

Korpikoski has the ability to be a good two way center, and can play wing effectively. Great on the PK.

Zherdev, has all the talent in the world and I feel could pull it together playing with Kovalchuk.

Thoughts?

Old
05-06-2009, 12:20 AM
blankspace6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Thrashers need a center for Kovalchuk. Todd white, while he did well, is not that center. They need some one who can distribute the puck, and is fast. Scott Gomez would be perfect IMHO. Heres the proposal.

I want perspective from Thrashers fans to see what they think on this.

Hows this for a deal.

Gomez, Sanguenetti, Korpikoski rights to Zherdev, Rangers first in 09 for Thrashers first in 09 and Todd White.

Its a win win. Thrashers get a top line center for Kovalchuk, two prospects and rights Zherdev who I have a feeling would DOMINATE with Gomez and Kovalchuk.

Rangers get rid of some salary, and a top draft pick.

For those of you who don't know much about the Rangers prospects, Sanguenetti is one of our top three prospects and top defensive prospect.

Korpikoski has the ability to be a good two way center, and can play wing effectively. Great on the PK.

Zherdev, has all the talent in the world and I feel could pull it together playing with Kovalchuk.

Thoughts?
The organization is not willing to take on a salary like that. It would never happen, although definitely tempting.

Old
05-06-2009, 04:22 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Thrashers need a center for Kovalchuk. Todd white, while he did well, is not that center. They need some one who can distribute the puck, and is fast. Scott Gomez would be perfect IMHO.
Thoughts?
How is Gomez (and his inflated salary) a better option than White when White had a better season and had more assists than Gomez

As for your other part of the proposal you need to include The Great Dubinsky (Brandon, not you) instead of Sanguinetti to get me interested.

Last edited by Peter Sidorkiewicz: 05-06-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old
05-06-2009, 05:07 AM
teme

Not a bad proposal at all IMO.

Old
05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I have no interest in all in the malcontent Zherdev. He has already worn out his welcome at two NHL franchises, and the last thing we need is a soft emo Russian with work ethic issues.

Old
05-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I have no interest in all in the malcontent Zherdev. He has already worn out his welcome at two NHL franchises, and the last thing we need is a soft emo Russian with work ethic issues.
You don't think him playing with Kovalchuk would have an effect on his game at all?

Old
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
You don't think him playing with Kovalchuk would have an effect on his game at all?
Yeah, for maybe 3/4 of a season.

Old
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

no

horrible offer. Ill keep White over Gomez and draft Kane.

thankskbye

Old
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
no

horrible offer. Ill keep White over Gomez and draft Kane.

thankskbye
Do you know anything about Sanguenetti? or Zherdev? Just curious.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:55 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Do you know anything about Sanguenetti? or Zherdev? Just curious.
Sanguenetti is the only one in that deal I'd be interested in, probably b/c I don't know much about him but I've heard good things. I'd still rather draft Kane or MSP. I followed Zherdev when we was with CBJ. In my flash impression, he just doesn't seem like a character guy.

Old
05-09-2009, 11:46 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
How is Gomez (and his inflated salary) a better option than White when White had a better season and had more assists than Gomez

As for your other part of the proposal you need to include The Great Dubinsky (Brandon, not you) instead of Sanguinetti to get me interested.
Just curious as to why you might think that Todd White was not invited to participate for Team Canada at the World Championships. There's six centers on the roster and White had more points this season than all of them except for Spezza, whom he tied with 73 points.

Old
05-09-2009, 01:30 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Just curious as to why you might think that Todd White was not invited to participate for Team Canada at the World Championships. There's six centers on the roster and White had more points this season than all of them except for Spezza, whom he tied with 73 points.
It just goes to show the continued mismanagement of Team Canada.

Old
05-10-2009, 06:36 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
It just goes to show the continued mismanagement of Team Canada.
Or the complete lack of respect Todd White has gotten throughout his career

Old
05-10-2009, 06:57 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post

<a href=http://www.lissgallery.com/todd_whit...FRJxxwodXSezcw>
Yeah, but he has his own page!</a>

Old
05-10-2009, 11:41 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Or maybe there's more to the game than how many points you get.

Old
05-11-2009, 01:14 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Or maybe there's more to the game than how many points you get.
Exactly, considering he has been an extremely capable defensive-minded center his entire career and usually top-20 in takeaways you'd think would just be another reason to brag about him on top of his recent production. Thank you!

Old
05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Exactly, considering he has been an extremely capable defensive-minded center his entire career and usually top-20 in takeaways you'd think would just be another reason to brag about him on top of his recent production. Thank you!
The Thrashers were dead last in goals against in the NHL. How does that suggest a great defensive game for their first-line center?

And since this thread has become a comparison of White versus Gomez, you will see that Gomez has had better offensive numbers than White throughout his career, on teams that were much better defensively, and much more successful, up to and including multiple Stanley Cup championships.

Iím not trying to trash Todd White, but suggesting a good third-line center is superior to a proven, Stanley Cup winning 1st-line center is absurd.

Old
05-11-2009, 11:34 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
The Thrashers were dead last in goals against in the NHL. How does that suggest a great defensive game for their first-line center?

And since this thread has become a comparison of White versus Gomez, you will see that Gomez has had better offensive numbers than White throughout his career, on teams that were much better defensively, and much more successful, up to and including multiple Stanley Cup championships.

Iím not trying to trash Todd White, but suggesting a good third-line center is superior to a proven, Stanley Cup winning 1st-line center is absurd.

Glad you're impressed with him. Keep him.

Here's a hint. The Rangers haven't learned this lesson yet and it goes back to before the salary cap. It's great for the fans when you can buy whatever player you want by overpaying. The problem when you do that? No one else in the league can afford to take them off your hands. That is why the big time salaries should only go to the big time players. The guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg and Kovalchuk. When you pay second tier talent first tier money you're handcuffing yourself. The Thrashers are not the keys to get you out of your bind.

Old
05-11-2009, 01:51 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Glad you're impressed with him. Keep him.

Here's a hint. The Rangers haven't learned this lesson yet and it goes back to before the salary cap. It's great for the fans when you can buy whatever player you want by overpaying. The problem when you do that? No one else in the league can afford to take them off your hands. That is why the big time salaries should only go to the big time players. The guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg and Kovalchuk. When you pay second tier talent first tier money you're handcuffing yourself. The Thrashers are not the keys to get you out of your bind.
Iím not a Rangers fan and have no emotional interest in their well-being. But I can see that Gomezís offensive numbers were compromised by mediocre wingers (list them if youíd like, to demonstrate how Iím mistaken) and a mediocre defence corp that required forwards to spend a lot of time in the defensive zone.

In other words, youíre totally mis-identifying the Rangers short-comings if you think itís Gomez.

Nevertheless, in the two years heís been a Ranger heís been in their top two in scoring in both of their regular seasons and both of their playoffs. As he was in New Jersey in his last few years there. And all the time playing in a heavily over-weighted defensive system.

Put him in Atlanta and he will continue to be in the top two in scoring. In a less rigid defensive system, and playing with Kovalchuk, his numbers would suddenly make fans think heís a better player. But it would be the same player, different system.

The Thrashers on the other hand scored the same amount of goals as the San Jose Sharks. The arguments put forth in this thread would suggest that the teams must therefore be equal on that basis, which of course is a bunch of nonsense.

I have no emotional interest in the Thrashers either, but I would like to see an emerging market succeed instead of sucking in perpetuity. Iíd hate to see them mismanage their assets like Florida did this year with Bouwmeester.

There is no next year for this franchise. Kovalchukís contract expires THIS YEAR. The team has to be better THIS YEAR. For starters, they have to outscore the opposition when Kovalchuk is on the ice, something they were unable to do with Todd White centering him. If you lose that match-up, youíre sunk.

The franchise canít keep their significant UFAís, they canít attract significant UFAís either.

Gomez would come with five years left on his contract at a cost of $5.8 million a year when offsetting Whiteís contract against it by going the other way to New York. Heíll bring a culture of winning and enthusiasm to a dressing room that sorely needs it.

I donít think your franchise player limits his NHL universe to Atlanta because he gets to play with Todd White, and loses a lot of games in the process.

Old
05-11-2009, 03:21 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Iím not a Rangers fan and have no emotional interest in their well-being. But I can see that Gomezís offensive numbers were compromised by mediocre wingers (list them if youíd like, to demonstrate how Iím mistaken) and a mediocre defence corp that required forwards to spend a lot of time in the defensive zone. (snip)

Answer is still no. Gomez is not worth that money even with Kovalchuk on his wing. He's 29 and has 5 years left on a killer of a contract. Bringing him in also prevents the financial flexibility to get the other pieces needed to compete. He also ties up funds needed for pending RFAs (Little, Lehtonen, Enstrom, Bogosian). Trading for a player, even a high priced player, is fine but Gomez should not be that person.

Old
05-11-2009, 03:54 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Answer is still no. Gomez is not worth that money even with Kovalchuk on his wing. He's 29 and has 5 years left on a killer of a contract. Bringing him in also prevents the financial flexibility to get the other pieces needed to compete. He also ties up funds needed for pending RFAs (Little, Lehtonen, Enstrom, Bogosian). Trading for a player, even a high priced player, is fine but Gomez should not be that person.
Based on your GM's comments, it looks like the Thrashers realize they have to do something before the season starts. Either sign Kovalchuk or trade him.

Signing him means upgrading the team.

Neither signing him or trading him would be disasterous.

Old
05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
The Sneak

Quote:
Based on your GM's comments, it looks like the Thrashers realize they have to do something before the season starts. Either sign Kovalchuk or trade him.

Signing him means upgrading the team.

Neither signing him or trading him would be disasterous.

And Gomez is the only option available to upgrade? Appears you're single tracking a bit

Old
05-11-2009, 04:16 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
And Gomez is the only option available to upgrade? Appears you're single tracking a bit
My last post wasn't meant to suggest that, but I'll be interested to see if Waddell comes up with a solution that doesn't require trading Kovalchuk.

Old
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
My last post wasn't meant to suggest that, but I'll be interested to see if Waddell comes up with a solution that doesn't require trading Kovalchuk.
We're not going to add a center. We have a definite need for a Top 6 RW and a Top 4 stay at home d-man. Those are the only two moves anyone should expect the Thrashers to make.

Old
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Norm MacDonald

If the Thrashers wanted to put up the cash and acquire Gomez, they can get him without trading White and their 09 1st. Hell, they can acquire him without giving up their 2nd. The Rangers would be lucky to find a team willing to take that horrible contract.

Then you get to the other two pieces...

Zherdev has run out his welcome with two organizations. The Thrashers might look to trade for him, but his value isn't all that high. Also, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be Waddell's first choice.
Sanguinetti is good offensively, but he is a project defensively. The Thrashers don't need another one of those prospects.

Those three are hardly worth a 70-point defensive center with a great contract and a high 1st in an amazing draft year. Just a terrible proposal.

Closed Thread