HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Got a blister size of quarter. How to treat before game?

Old
05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
hkyplayer03

vCash: 500
Got a blister size of quarter. How to treat before game?

Got a blister the size of a quarter one inch below my big toe on the underside of right foot 3 days ago from a running event. The skin was all floppy and was coming off so I cut it and has just stopped stinging when exposed. Been treating with polysporin and put band aid on it.

I have games this wed, fri, and sat. How should I prep it before games to prevent it from getting damaged even more when I skate?

Last edited by hkyplayer03: 05-05-2009 at 07:41 PM.
hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 07:44 PM
The Big Giant Head

eek thats a tough one but of course the blister could be in worse spots. i'd say there isnt to much you can do. In the past when ive had blisters in various spots on my foot i usually would just cover the blister with a thin layer of cotton fabric then tape it up really good. you might just trying something like that to keep the actual blister from rubbing the bottom of your boot, i think either way your going to be in some discomfort. Good luck.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

Wow not sure what you can really do about that as far as being pain free. Suck it up I guess and deal with the sting.

I guess the most important thing is to keep it clean obviously so some sort of dressing would be recommended. I think the above post also recommends making sure it is covered and maybe it would make it more comfy.

Good luck in any case.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
difren

They sell stuff like this at most drug stores.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp86350_33...ister_pads.htm

Should work. You might still have some discomfort, but it's better than nothing.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by difren View Post
They sell stuff like this at most drug stores.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp86350_33...ister_pads.htm

Should work. You might still have some discomfort, but it's better than nothing.
Yeah I saw those at the drug store, but would most likely come off when skating. A buddy of mine told me to put a band aid on it and put duct tape on top. Maybe even throw in a few cotton buds.

Old
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Moleskin. I use it all the time for ankle blisters and it usually lasts a while. Though, I'm not sure how well it will work for the bottom of a foot

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 View Post
Yeah I saw those at the drug store, but would most likely come off when skating. A buddy of mine told me to put a band aid on it and put duct tape on top. Maybe even throw in a few cotton buds.
Nothing should come off when skating if your skate fits properly. If your foot is moving around in your skate then you need new skates.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 03:46 AM
190Octane

Put a band aid over it with a small piece of cotton inside, then put a women's stocking over it and your regular sock.

You'll keep that blister from hurting too bad and prevent future blisters.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:52 PM
hkyplayer03

So I ended up putting a band aid on top of the blister and duct tape on top of the band aid. No damage or discomfort at all.

BUT prior to the game on wed I also took a puck to the inside of the top part of my left foot about 2 inches from the bottom on sat. The bruise got bigger after the game on wed. What's the protocol in dealing with big bruises in the foot area? Is it ok to play through the discomfort? Does playing through the discomfort make it bleed even more and prevent it from healing?

So far I've been using ice packs about every 2-3 hr or so.

Click for bigger size:

Last edited by hkyplayer03: 05-07-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old
05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
The Big Giant Head

a good rule of thumb is, if you cant walk on it comfortably then you shouldn't play on it. It looks like to me that there's quite a bit of swelling (may just be how the pic looks) but if thats the case then you need to stay off it. Bruises are basically internal bleeding and like most minor cuts and scraps your blood clots and prevents you from bleeding out anymore, unless you take another puck to the ankle or do anything to hurt it worse you dont have to worry about the bruise getting bigger.

If your in discomfort that can prevent it from healing completely, believe me i know...i hurt my wrist last October and it still hurts because i haven't taken time off to let it heal.

My opinion...keep ice on it and before your next game if you can comfortable walk, run, and jump on it then you need to rest it. better to miss one game and let it heal than play and hurt it worse or have it compromise how you play.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
BobRouse

soak it in saltwater.

Also before games tape it up with BUBBLE WRAP!

Always works.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:21 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

What skates are you wearing? Looks like you get no protection out of 'em...

Don't play on it if it's not comfortable to walk in. If it swells up and you can't fit it in your skate, that's another sign.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 04:51 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
What skates are you wearing? Looks like you get no protection out of 'em...

Don't play on it if it's not comfortable to walk in. If it swells up and you can't fit it in your skate, that's another sign.
I'm wearing Vapor XXII's which are about 1 1/2 years old. I got the injury from a blast of a shot from a 6 foot dude on defense, which happened to catch the inside of my skate. I didn't even open up my foot to the shot. I can walk just fine and even run today but when I try on my skate I can't tighten it all the way on the top 4 notches without being uncomfortable. I'll probably take today and tomorrow off so I can get back on the ice next week.

Old
05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
stick9

Hmm, looks pretty bad. That foot gonna have to come off.

Just kidding.....obviously. That's my standard response to injury questions.

With the bruise, just ice the crap out of it. If you are worried about getting hit int he same spot again. See if you can come with some sort exterior protection. I'm think hard plastic and some velcro straps.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote