HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonas Gustavsson: I can say that Toronto is still there.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Jonas Gustavsson: I can say that Toronto is still there.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...apleleafs.html

Quote:
The Monster of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Swedish goalie Jonas Gustavsson says he will decide in the next few weeks which NHL team he will sign with, and the Toronto Maple Leafs are high on his list.

I didnt see them [the Leafs] a lot this year and they have a pretty good club, said Gustavsson after a Swedish practice at the men's world hockey championship in Switzerland. It is a good team.

Gustavsson wasnt on the radar for the Swedish national team when the 2008-09 season began but he improved and then earned the nickname, The Monster, while registering five shutouts in 13 Swedish Elite League playoff games for the club team Farjestad.

Overnight, the goalie few people had ever heard of became one of the top unsigned, unrestricted free agents in the hockey world.

The Maple Leafs have Vesa Toskala under contract for next season and general manager Brian Burke wants someone to come in to a) challenge Toskala for the No. 1 job; and b) provide the Leafs with a solid backup.

Burke has held contract talks with The Monsters agent and took time at the world championship for a meet-and-greet with Gustavsson.

We will see what happens after the tournament, said Gustavsson, adding about 24 of the NHL's 30 teams have contacted his agent and the list has been pared down to less than a handful.

I can say that Toronto is still there, he said.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Stephen

Maybe in the future the Leafs should just get these damn contracts done quietly. Looks like another one bites the dust.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
AlMo

What else is Gustavsson supposed to say? Obviously the Leafs are still there but I think he would say that about every team that has made contact with him. I would like for the Leafs to sign him but I wouldn't be surpised to see him elsewhere.

IMO, Colorado and Detroit are the favourites.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Maybe in the future the Leafs should just get these damn contracts done quietly. Looks like another one bites the dust.
In Toronto? Impossible!

Old
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
What else is Gustavsson supposed to say? Obviously the Leafs are still there but I think he would say that about every team that has made contact with him. I would like for the Leafs to sign him but I wouldn't be surpised to see him elsewhere.

IMO, Colorado and Detroit are the favourites
Unless there's been a change, I had heard it was still Dallas and Toronto as the frontrunners.

05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Unless there's been a change, I had heard it was still Dallas and Toronto as the frontrunners.
You could be right, I just said in my opnion, Detroit and Colorado could be two destinations that Jonas would be more intersted in.

Detroit are one of the best franchises in the world, they have the Swedish influence (Franzen, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Samuelsson, Holmstrom, Lilja), they also have an opening for the backup role and Gustavsson would be given every opportuity to battle Osgood for the #1 role (Ozzie has one year left on his contract)

Colorado are a fairly young team with some great talent already in place. Colordao's starting job is wide open at the moment and you would think Gustavsson would have an excellent shot at being the go-to-guy there. Colorado is also a very good market (popular in Sweden because of Forsberg) and a great place to live.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
The Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
I didnt see them [the Leafs] a lot this year and they have a pretty good club, said Gustavsson after a Swedish practice at the men's world hockey championship in Switzerland. It is a good team.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Well he did say he didn't see them a lot this year...

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
sgupca

I understand that he can't be signed during the tournament, that all being said i'm starting to agree with AlMo. The longer he is unsigned the more likely i think he signs with Detriot. Especially if they get beat in this round to the ducks.

Except them (The Wings) to make a hard pitch as well, if they are eliminated.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
DougGilmour93

Not looking too good is it...

I was really hoping he'd be a Leaf. Not so sure anymore.

What is Toronto's next course of action? Do we go after Giguere now that Hiller has become their undisputed #1? Thoughts.

PS. Can Toronto offer him a boat load of money or does his contract have to be entry level?

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
... and a great place to live.
I lived in Denver for 2 years and...no.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Not looking too good is it...

I was really hoping he'd be a Leaf. Not so sure anymore.

What is Toronto's next course of action? Do we go after Giguere now that Hiller has become their undisputed #1? Thoughts.

PS. Can Toronto offer him a boat load of money or does his contract have to be entry level?
It has to be an entry-level

but only for 1 year.

And i don't think Burke goes after Giguere. His makes too much and is too big of a question mark.

I think (one way or another) you'll see Burke sign a goalie from Europe or Russia. If we miss out on Gustavsson, look for him to target Alexander Salak.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:16 PM
DougGilmour93

Darn!. I want Gustavsson!

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Darn!. I want Gustavsson!
Too early to panic. Let it ride and hope that Burke's persuasive skills plus the Leafs need for a goalie make Toronto the new monster house.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Federko

Toronto is the best possible place for new players like THE MONSTER or BOZAK, etc because they're going to get to play right away - They all know this. Even Gilroy wanted to come to Toronto until the Rangers offered him way too much money. Good on Burkie for not throwing cash at him like that! I mean Red Wings? I don't care how good they have been and how they are right now - as a player my playing time will be limited and it will take a few seasons to feel like I'm actually contributing. Believe me a team like the AVS is officially hockey obscurity...no one really cares - They still have french canadian ex nordique management and that can't be good at attracting free agents, especially young kids...

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:

IMO, Colorado and Detroit are the favourites.
I don't think Detroit is even on his top 10 list. They have no cap space, they generally prefer seasoned veterans and usually keep their prospects in the AHL much longer than most other teams. They also have three pretty good goalie prospects in Howard, Larsson and McCollum.

I think Toronto has a great shot at landing Gustavsson.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
Toronto is the best possible place for new players like THE MONSTER or BOZAK, etc because they're going to get to play right away - They all know this. Even Gilroy wanted to come to Toronto until the Rangers offered him way too much money. Good on Burkie for not throwing cash at him like that! I mean Red Wings? I don't care how good they have been and how they are right now - as a player my playing time will be limited and it will take a few seasons to feel like I'm actually contributing. Believe me a team like the AVS is officially hockey obscurity...no one really cares - They still have french canadian ex nordique management and that can't be good at attracting free agents, especially young kids...
I don't know, the Avs might be falling into obscurity, but they were a powerhouse earlier in the decade and maybe they have a cache with foreign players still. Plus the number one job is wide open.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
eightyseven

Toronto is a much more exciting city than Denver. The variety of restaurants is better, the malls are better, we get the Toronto Film Festival here, we have other Toronto sports franchises here to watch when you're bored, the only downside is the cold weather. But Denver is also cold so I don't see the big difference there....

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Toronto is a much more exciting city than Denver. The variety of restaurants is better, the malls are better, we get the Toronto Film Festival here, we have other Toronto sports franchises here to watch when you're bored, the only downside is the cold weather. But Denver is also cold so I don't see the big difference there....
If a hockey players decision has to come down to what film festival is better in which city then I don't think he's going to be the one to help break the Cup jinx in TO

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Mogwai

Quote:
Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke is believed to be interested in Gustavsson's services, but he won't be able to speak to the netminder until next week.

"Toronto is one of the teams that I'm interested in. They've got a good team history, and they're one of the most famous teams in the world. It's a good club, but there are a bunch of other teams that are really good too, so it's a tough situation," said Gustavsson.

Gustavsson said he has not spoken to former long-time Toronto captain Mats Sundin, but another Swedish Maple Leaf alumnus has been in touch.

"I talked to Borje Salming a couple of days ago and he told me a little bit about the city and how it is," said Gustavsson.
Gustavsson is a leaf. Book it. Third time I've said that.

It's the triple B theory. "Borje Bleeds Blue".

Borje is to Sweden what Gretzky is to Canada afaik.

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Agreed, this could've been kept under wraps much better but now 24 others team want in? Good luck to the Leafs, they won't get him unless they guarantee him around 40 games a year. Would you rather be a back up on the worst GAA team in the league or for a team like Detroit (doubt Osgood AND Conklin are back next year)?

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
ugotmybeef*

The Leafs can't do anything right. This will just be the same.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
BooRadley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phluxed View Post
Gustavsson is a leaf. Book it. Third time I've said that.

It's the triple B theory. "Borje Bleeds Blue".

Borje is to Sweden what Gretzky is to Canada afaik.
For whatever reason, I seem to remember Borje playing a part in Brunnstromm not coming here. He told him about the city, expectations, pressure, etc... and used that as some of the chips in his decision to choose Dallas (as opposed to similar hockey markets in Toronto and Montreal).

BooRadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:53 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
The Leafs can't do anything right. This will just be the same.
Except that now we have one of the best managing groups in the league

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

You guys all have to be kidding me. Other teams are only aware of Gustavsson because the Leafs failed to keep it under wraps? Is this what I'm gathering?

You're either giving the Leafs too much credit for discovering some complete unknown diamond in the rough (not the case), or you're wildly, and I mean wildly, underestimating the ability of other clubs to moniter professional leagues in Europe (actually the case).

For gods sake the guy had 5 shutouts in the playoffs in the SEL. That doesn't go unnoticed. This is no failure by the Leafs, for crying out loud. If anything, so far, so good, as he has narrowed down his choices from say two dozen teams and the Leafs appear to still be a strong option for him.

Christ, there were threads on this very board six months ago about him. If you think we noticed him and NHL scouting staffs didn't, I don't know what to tell you.

Honestly...

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote