HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto and Florida.

Old
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Cleatus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Toronto and Florida.

To Florida: Tomas Kaberle, Jiri Tlusty, a 2009 2nd round draft pick, and a conditional 2010 1st round draft pick.
To Toronto: Nathan Horton, Jay Bouwmeester's contract rights, and a 2009 3rd round draft pick.

Conditon for Toronto's 2010 1st round draft pick: If Jay Bouwmeester signs a long-term contract extension, Florida gets Toronto's 1st round draft pick in 2010. If he doesn't sign a contract extension, Florida doesn't get the pick.

This is my idea for a contract that Burke should offer to Jay-Bo: 8 years at 52 million dollars total (6.5 million dollar cap-hit). It'll pay 8 million dollars in the first and second years, 7 million dollars in the third and fourth years, 6 million dollars in the fifth and sixth years, and 5 million dollars in the seventh and eighth years. I honestly can't see him declining a contract like that, especially since it'll be the first one he sees before free agency.

Alot of you Leaf fans may not like giving up the 2010 1st round draft pick, but if Horton and Jay-Bo join Toronto, Toronto will be drafting out of the top 10, and the pick won't be anywhere near as helpful as these two.

If Jay-Bo doesn't sign an extension, the trade will be like this...

To Florida: Tomas Kaberle, Jiri Tlusty, and a 2009 2nd round draft pick.
To Toronto: Nathan Horton, and a 2009 3rd round draft pick.

Toronto will slightly overpay for Horton, but I still feel that it's worth it (he's a Burke-type player). Also, If Burke signs Mike Cammalleri, him and Horton would make an awesome tandem.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I really doubt that knowing how Brian Burke works, there's no picks going to be dealt anytime soon. Atleast not this season, and he'll be rebuilding for 2-3 years, so conditional 1st for 2010 is outa question.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Toronto Massively overpays, and I'd be calling for Burke's head if Jaybo walked and we were left with the Horton trade.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
I really doubt that knowing how Brian Burke works, there's no picks going to be dealt anytime soon. Atleast not this season, and he'll be rebuilding for 2-3 years, so conditional 1st for 2010 is outa question.
He said he's looking to make the playoffs next year. If he gets these two, and signs Mike Cammalleri, Toronto will be better. Maybe not a playoff team, but they'd finally have a top line, and one of the stronger defensive pairs in the league (Bouwmeester-Schenn).

Old
05-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
Toronto Massively overpays, and I'd be calling for Burke's head if Jaybo walked and we were left with the Horton trade.
It's not that bad of an overpayment. Horton has potential to be a 70+ point player, and is the type of player that Burke likes.

Old
05-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
It's not that bad of an overpayment. Horton has potential to be a 70+ point player, and is the type of player that Burke likes.
And Kaberle's a #, elite puck moving defenceman, Tlusty is starting to come into his own, and a 2nd is a 2nd. Honestly, I wouldn't trade Kaberle straight up for Horton, but that's just me.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Kaberle is a potential 60+ point player, playing defense. Terrible deal for Toronto.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Kaberle is a potential 60+ point player, playing defense. Terrible deal for Toronto.
Kaberle is 31. Horton is only 23. "Potential" is usually used when referring to young players, and not players who are already in supposed to be in their prime.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Kaberle is 31. Horton is only 23. "Potential" is usually used when referring to young players, and not players who are already in supposed to be in their prime.
Maybe you use potential for only young players, however I use it when it applies. In this case it does, Kaberle on a decent or better team has 60+ point potential. Being 31, he most likely has at least 4 or 5 years where he can operate at this level.

Old
05-07-2009, 11:32 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Potential is used when someone has the potential to do something. Kaberle has a history of multiple 50+ point seasons, including one season where he almost hit 70 points, and another where he after missing 8 games, he hit 58. I'd say that constitutes potential to hit 60 again, especially if on a team that actually has some firepower.

Age aside, I wouldn't trade Kaberle for Horton straight up, let alone throwing in high picks and a 20 year old PPG AHL'er. And especially not to gain the rights to a player who has made it clear he likes the idea of signing in Western Canada.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Panthers need more offense...not less.

Bouw didn't do well with the 3 reporters we have here, TO's spotlight is obviously much more intense. He once ran from a camera interviewing Montador at a gold tourney.

05-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
psh no

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Falcons93

A big no from Toronto. They're rebuilding, they won't trade tlusty and a 1st round pick. They also won't trade Kaberle unless they receive a 1st round pick or a prospect. No interest in Horton whatsoever, and I could care less about Bouwmeester unless he has a good supporting staff.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 06:29 PM
wayne98

horrible trade. way too much to give up. way too much. burke does that he should be hung from a tree

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

I do find it funny though when Leafs rip off someone in a proposal you have the 5 to 6 pages a day filled with burning effigies of Leaf fans, but when the Leafs get boned the thread is a graveyard.

Old
05-08-2009, 12:52 AM
phlocky

Well, Leafs fans would never approve of this trade because they just have such tainted homer glasses that they believe that all their players are gods and every other player in the league is trash. Come on, they fully believed Antropov was going to return a nid 1st and a top 3 prospect (of course some organizations have a better #3 prospect than others but the point was they were getting a QUALITY prospect and not a marginal one).

Don't you know, Leafs fans wouldn't trade Kaberle for the #1 pick straight up because Kabs is SOOO much more valuable than any pick ever in the hisroty of the draft.

If the Leafs can sign J-Bo then the deal is slanted in the Leafs favor. Think about it, right now and in the future, Boumeester > Kaberle. The difference isn't that big right now but in 2 years the difference will be HUGE. Major upgrade for the Leafs. Now for Horton vs Tlusty, are you kidding me??? Thisi sn't even close, it's Horton by a mile now and in 10 years from now. With Fla sending back a 3rd this year the 2nd this year and 1st next year from Toronto don't even come close to making it even.

Toronto gets one of the 3 best dmen in the game today in Boumeester and a true first line winger. The panthers get a rental player dman who only helps the organization if they can flip him for a 1st and a prospect (something that Tor themselves couldn't do this year so who;s to say that a Kaberle 1 year old with 1 less year on his "good contract" and in a declining cap year would return that package THIS year??) and a center that "hopefully" developes into a legit 2nd line center.

Unless they got extremely lucky with their draft, neither the player they take with the Tor 1st in 2010 nor the player they take with the 1st they get when they trade Kaberle will be better than the dman and winger the Panthers are giving up.

If the Leafs CAN'T resign Boumeester then including Tlusty is the over payment by the Leafs.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote