HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes Financial/Ownership Situation #3

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Jakeman

vCash: 500
I like how Bettman is standing pat on the coyotes staying put and I believe the Phoenix keeps it's franchise and Balsillie is unsuccessful for the third time. Moyes and Balsillie went at it the wrong way and through a dagger right through his heart. This guy will never get a franchise in the NHL. Why on earth didn't he just approach the coyotes group and the NHL if he wanted to really purchase the franchise, he knew they won't let him re-locate the franchise. Deep pockets only take you so far, it doesn't buy you everything you want.My only hope is that this team gets a real owner with no hidden agenda and they stay put, the coyotes have an improved fan base and a beautiful arena and a really good G.M with a really good crop of young talented players who are up and coming. As a fan and a Canadian hockey fan, I feel this franchise has been unfairly treated by media outlets with no real clue about the facts. I will keep hope in this franchise and love this team right where they are.

Old
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
I think, no matter how this turns out, a lot of people are going to feel stupid about how they've been played by Balsillie. Honestly, I kind of admire his ambition. Just not if it involves taking my team. He's a smart smart man, he just doesn't understand that to get what you want, sometimes you have to follow the rules.
Then he must not be that smart after all. Not everything can be had with brute force.

Old
05-06-2009, 08:00 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
I think, no matter how this turns out, a lot of people are going to feel stupid about how they've been played by Balsillie. Honestly, I kind of admire his ambition. Just not if it involves taking my team. He's a smart smart man, he just doesn't understand that to get what you want, sometimes you have to follow the rules.
That is one thing I don't understand about his motives. It's pretty well acknowledged that Canada could use another team or two during another expansion. RIM gazillionaire with lots of money I would think would be at the top of the list already for new ownership of an expansion team. Guys like Colangelo lobbied for expansion to bring the Dbacks here in the 90s. If you have lots of capital and a market, I would think it's easier than relocating. No dealing with the previous regimes mess.

Old
05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
yakko

http://iamabovethelaw.ytmnd.com/

Old
05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Then he must not be that smart after all. Not everything can be had with brute force.
I just think he's incredibly arrogant and possibly underestimating the effects of burning bridges, granted his ego is probably too huge to care.

Old
05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Confucius

When you are worth over 2 billion bucks, it's just a game. Some people get a charge out of playing video games, some play poker. Anyway he has given Moyes this high interset 17 million dollar D I P loan, so the team can continue operations. Which means he is the first person to get paid. Even before the secured creditors. If this drags on, which it may, he may continue to finance the team for a year or 2 and end up owning it that way.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
may I also add, lets save the arena location discussion for another place and time.
What I wanna know is, if they move the team to Hamilton, then how in the blue hell are people from the East Valley going to get to the games on time?

Old
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
FACT: David Hale does not know what a defense attorney is. Because that would involve learning the concept of defense.

I know that a defense attorney wouldn't be involved in a case like this, but I just couldn't resist.
hey it's never too grim for a good David Hale fact.

FACT: David Hale is the only man to beat Michael Phelps in a swimming contest.

FACT: When Jerry Moyes was given the option of resigning David Hale he chose bankruptcy.

FACT: David Hale likes shrimp. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... that's about it.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:12 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
When you are worth over 2 billion bucks, it's just a game. Some people get a charge out of playing video games, some play poker. Anyway he has given Moyes this high interset 17 million dollar D I P loan, so the team can continue operations. Which means he is the first person to get paid. Even before the secured creditors. If this drags on, which it may, he may continue to finance the team for a year or 2 and end up owning it that way.
Not if it's ruled that Moyes had no legal right to bankrupt the team. Which the league seems very sure of.

Anyway if it does go through, what does it matter that he's the first one to get paid? He's being paid back with his own money.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
puck57

Take a look at the Dreger blog from TSN- a new twist that the NHL will use against Moyes I guess- that he surrendered control months ago. IF that's true, WHY would Moyes make this move KNOWING he was not actually in control to declare bankruptcy?? Hum??

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11852

Old
05-06-2009, 09:17 PM
azsharkfan

The prospects of this team staying appear more than grim.

With the NHL lacking a major T.V. Network deal, the players look to revenue sharing. If you look inside the barn, it ain't full. If you look inside that same un-full barn and factor that a lot of these folks did not pay for their tickets or purchased them for under face value...you have a PROBLEM.

The BEST thing for AZ NHL hockey fans would be to let this team go. Work a deal like the Cleveland Browns did in the NFL and within a few years get a solid ownership team back here.

Old
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck57 View Post
Take a look at the Dreger blog from TSN- a new twist that the NHL will use against Moyes I guess- that he surrendered control weeks ago. IF that's true, WHY would Moyes make this move KNOWING he was not actually in control to declare bankruptcy?? Hum??

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11852
Maybe he didn't? Maybe he has a really bad lawyer who never explained the terms of the NHL loan to him.

I really have no idea. Hence the wacky, highly unlikely scenario.

Maybe there's something even MORE sinister behind the scenes than we know about.

Please Jerry, we already hate you, please don't dig yourself into a deeper hole. I still appreciate the fact you tried. Don't make me lose ALL respect.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsharkfan View Post
What's worse than grim? It seems at least grim or maybe slightly better if there is any truth to what the league is asserting.

Quote:
The BEST thing for AZ NHL hockey fans would be to let this team go. Work a deal like the Cleveland Browns did in the NFL and within a few years get a solid ownership team back here.
How is that the best thing for Arizona hockey fans? That doesn't make any sense.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
puck57

Quote:
Maybe he didn't? Maybe he has a really bad lawyer who never explained the terms of the NHL loan to him.

I really have no idea. Hence the wacky, highly unlikely scenario.

Maybe there's something even MORE sinister behind the scenes than we know about.

Please Jerry, we already hate you, please don't dig yourself into a deeper hole. I still appreciate the fact you tried. Don't make me lose ALL respect.

AH- I see what you mean. PERHAPS he thought he still DID have control and thus could bail out like that to recoup his losses. And until just recently, the league WAS denying that they were running the Yotes- and the team had the statement backing that up. Now THIS report seems to contradict that stance that the league and Yotes took till just recently.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

With the NHL lacking a major T.V. Network deal, the players look to revenue sharing. If you look inside the barn, it ain't full. If you look inside that same un-full barn and factor that a lot of these folks did not pay for their tickets or purchased them for under face value...you have a PROBLEM.

You sure pick a great time to post here again. Please stay away from this board. We really don't miss your uneducated, condescending opinions.

I don't come to the Sharks board and put down your pathetic underachieving team - I don't particularly enjoy kicking a man when he's down. In exchange, I'd appreciate if your kept your stupid ass comments to yourself in this agonizing time, as well as the mourning period that may follow.

Thanks in advance.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:14 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
That is impossible. The Cleveland Browns got another franchise because... well, they're the CLEVELAND BROWNS.

We lose this NHL franchise, we won't get another one back. It's that simple.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
azsharkfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
What's worse than grim? It seems at least grim or maybe slightly better if there is any truth to what the league is asserting.

How is that the best thing for Arizona hockey fans? That doesn't make any sense.
What the league is asserting is that the owners won't go for the proposal. I believe they will because the Coyotes have had enough time to demonstrate fiscal achievement and they haven't.

The best thing is to start fresh. Do you want to root for a team that will be financially strapped for the countless years to come?

Ease back into it in a few years with the right people. That makes sense.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
What the league is asserting is that the owners won't go for the proposal. I believe they will because the Coyotes have had enough time to demonstrate fiscal achievement and they haven't.

The best thing is to start fresh. Do you want to root for a team that will be financially strapped for the countless years to come?

Ease back into it in a few years with the right people. That makes sense.
Or ease back into right now with the right people, that being Reinsdorf and his group.

The guy takes underachieving and unsuccesful teams and makes them winners. Do you see the match?

Old
05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
If we end up losing the team (God forbid), I vow that when I make my billions in the Geology Field, I will do everything in my power to bring a new team to Phoenix. In the mean time, if Phoenix loses it's team, I revoke all allegiance to the NHL, and transfer the rights of allegiance to the CHL or another minor-pro league that is geographically close to me.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:25 PM
azsharkfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
You sure pick a great time to post here again. Please stay away from this board. We really don't miss your uneducated, condescending opinions.
My comments have nothing to do with the bantering of on-ice discussion. I live in Arizona and spent over $1,500 in tickets last year to support the Coyotes. My being a Sharks fan has NOTHING to do with my previous post. I support the Coyotes with my hard earned money.

ZZ, I appreciate your passion. I respect your disappoinment. What stinks is that these financial woes have been threaded on this board for over the past three years. That's not condescending.

This whole thing sucks...and I apologize if you read my post to be flagrant.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
azsharkfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Or ease back into right now with the right people, that being Reinsdorf and his group.

The guy takes underachieving and unsuccesful teams and makes them winners. Do you see the match?
Reinsdorf has a very solid reputation. I think Bettman would be willing to do whatever it takes to make that situation work.

I really believe Bettman wants the team to work through it all. But he only holds so much power. It's those folks who feel slighted each year when splitting up the pot.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
My comments have nothing to do with the bantering of on-ice discussion. I live in Arizona and spent over $1,500 in tickets last year to support the Coyotes. My being a Sharks fan has NOTHING to do with my previous post. I support the Coyotes with my hard earned money.

ZZ, I appreciate your passion. I respect your disappoinment. What stinks is that these financial woes have been threaded on this board for over the past three years. That's not condescending.

This whole thing sucks...and I apologize if you read my post to be flagrant.
Then how can you possibly mean this:

Quote:
The BEST thing for AZ NHL hockey fans would be to let this team go.
First off, your claiming to know what's best for AZ NHL fans is in itself condescending.

Second, letting this team go means no more professional hockey in AZ for years to come, if ever. Not only that, but most of us here don't want just "any NHL team" that'll make our favorite club stop by 4 times a year. We actually really care about this specific group. We've been following every trade, every rumor, we've been through bitter disappointment, hopes, ups & downs for the past 10, 20+ years for some. How the hell can you pretend to know that letting it go is in our best interests??

I know you're probably a nice guy. You like hockey as much as I do. And you're not an idiot. But please, in the future think twice about posting this kind of ****. It really, really rubbed me the wrong way.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:42 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Reinsdorf has a very solid reputation. I think Bettman would be willing to do whatever it takes to make that situation work.

I really believe Bettman wants the team to work through it all. But he only holds so much power. It's those folks who feel slighted each year when splitting up the pot.
I also think that if there is a proven sports guy willing to buy the team and Moyes is out we will have a chance to win and the other owners in the NHL will consider this. The one good decision Moyes made was bringing in a smart patient GM and he has layed down a good foundation which people realize.

Just think of the ramifications to the other teams that this happen before June 30th. All the divisions would probably have to be shuffled and scedules to be considered.

Just think of all the jobs (this community doesn't need more lost jobs) that this will eliminate in this town.

The City of Glendale will get robbed....trust me it hurts more people than it will make happy in the short term.

Old
05-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

One thing is for sure: This is fascinating.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:02 PM
coyotesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Then how can you possibly mean this:

First off, your claiming to know what's best for AZ NHL fans is in itself condescending.

Second, letting this team go means no more professional hockey in AZ for years to come, if ever. Not only that, but most of us here don't want just "any NHL team" that'll make our favorite club stop by 4 times a year. We actually really care about this specific group. We've been following every trade, every rumor, we've been through bitter disappointment, hopes, ups & downs for the past 10, 20+ years for some. How the hell can you pretend to know that letting it go is in our best interests??

I know you're probably a nice guy. You like hockey as much as I do. And you're not an idiot. But please, in the future think twice about posting this kind of ****. It really, really rubbed me the wrong way.
I agree if we loose this team and we ever have another chance of getting one back it just wont be the same. I dont want just another team. I want the real coyotes even though year they always seem to break our hearts.

I think most people here would agree it just wouldnt be the same without people complaing about Wayne coaching, David Hale's lack of defense, Pangs Holy Jumpins, and on the last game of the year Doan skating back and forth to the bench because he wins every award.

This is what true fans are all about. Its more than just having a team, its about the connection you make with them. You follow every trade, go to games no matter what side of town your on, know all the players, follow every draft just for the hope that one day we can watch these guys raise the cup and know that you supported them through it all. ***k I hope these guys dont move

Closed Thread