HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The importance of awards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2014, 10:35 AM
  #1
Mr Spock
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Västerås in Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
The importance of awards

One thing that strikes me is the ostensibliy high importance of awards in the NHL and the impact they have on the rating of a players greatness. Sometimes it almost seems like a lottery and I can feel a great deal of subjectiveness here. Am i wrong on this? Please enlighten me if you think I'm wrong.

Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 10:36 AM
  #2
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,129
vCash: 500
Awards are essentially the media's perception of a player based primarily on his performance in that particular year (aside from the NHLPA award).

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
  #3
Mr Spock
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Västerås in Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Awards are essentially the media's perception of a player based primarily on his performance in that particular year (aside from the NHLPA award).
Media and the hf boards perception then.

Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 01:52 PM
  #4
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Awards are essentially the media's perception of a player based primarily on his performance in that particular year (aside from the NHLPA award).
Exactly - awards voting is useful if you take it for what it is and understand the limitations.

A lot of us take pre-expansion awards voting more seriously because with only 6 teams and 70 games, every voter saw every opposing team 14 times. In modern times, voters have had to rely more on statistics, word of mouth, and highlights videos.

The useful thing about modern awards is that there is a large sample size - from 50-60 voters in the 80s to about 100 today. Helps weed out a lot of the noise caused by homer or fringe opinions. (Of course, then you'll get someone bragging about a "12th place finish in Hart voting," when only 1-2 likely homer voters had that player on their ballots).

Another thing to keep in mind is that often very few votes separate the winner from 2nd or sometimes even 3rd place, so sometimes the voters have similar opinions on more than one player even though only one of them technically "won."

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 02:03 PM
  #5
unknown33
Registered User
 
unknown33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Europe
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 500
I think people mostly use it as an indicator how a player performed, but not as the final answer.

When a player has 5 x 1st Team allstars selections it's extremly likely that he performed better than his contemporary who never got a single vote. (both playing the same positon ofc)

On the other hand how award counting should not be used:

Would Bourque finishing two points ahead of Messier in 89/90 Hart voting instead of the other way around make his season better and Messier's worse?
Of course not.

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 03:11 PM
  #6
Art of Sedinery
Registered User
 
Art of Sedinery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,873
vCash: 400
Hart
Lindsay
Smythe
Art Ross
Rocket Richard
Norris/Vezina

Selke

Calder
Jennings

Byng/Clancy/Masterton

edit: haha totally misunderstood concept.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
  #7
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
Hart
Lindsay
Smythe
Art Ross
Rocket Richard
Norris/Vezina

Selke

Calder
Jennings

Byng/Clancy/Masterton

edit: haha totally misunderstood concept.
Hhhahaha, yep.
Still, some awards lost or gained importance over time.

The Lady Byng was once very important. And I'm one to think that, considering the proportion of goals scored on the PP, its an extremely valuable award at face value... As long as it isn't given to the RORs of this world.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 04:09 PM
  #8
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown33 View Post
On the other hand how award counting should not be used:

Would Bourque finishing two points ahead of Messier in 89/90 Hart voting instead of the other way around make his season better and Messier's worse?
Of course not.
Yeah - great example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Hhhahaha, yep.
Still, some awards lost or gained importance over time.

The Lady Byng was once very important. And I'm one to think that, considering the proportion of goals scored on the PP, its an extremely valuable award at face value... As long as it isn't given to the RORs of this world.
Ugh, the idea of the Byng - a player who plays the game the "right way" - hard but clean - is such a great one. Guys like Sakic and Lidstrom should have cleaned up on Lady Byngs. Instead it goes to the star player with the fewest PIMs - what a joke. It's been a joke award for decades now.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
  #9
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah - great example.



Ugh, the idea of the Byng - a player who plays the game the "right way" - hard but clean - is such a great one. Guys like Sakic and Lidstrom should have cleaned up on Lady Byngs. Instead it goes to the star player with the fewest PIMs - what a joke. It's been a joke award for decades now.
The "hard" part isn't actually THAT necessary.

No problem with the Lady Byngs won by Martin St-Louis, and while he sortof play hard, is isn't a bruiser either.

I mean, he won the Lady Byng the year during a season where he won an Art Ross, but wasn't the Hart winner. Can't get more "traditionnal Lady Byng" than that.

But St-Louis getting Byng support (but not winning it) in 2004 makes no sense. Either you disconsider him completely (he won the Hart...) or you give him the Lady Byng altogether. But you don't vote him 3rd because he had 12 more PIMS than Brad Richards.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.